Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | Next > | Last >
OfflineRamJam
Stranger

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: zMan] * 1
    #27249065 - 03/11/21 09:55 PM (3 years, 17 days ago)

yep, looks like they are fungus gnat larvae from some googling, gonna keep reading but maybe ill micropore tape my brfs tops in the meantime, i figure my filter lids on grain jars should be fine, but the tubs... oof

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblezMan
zMan

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: RamJam] * 1
    #27249120 - 03/11/21 10:57 PM (3 years, 17 days ago)

Yeah tubs are a bitch. No matter how much I tried to kill the adults they'd always lay eggs until I got rid of the source for them.

--------------------
Information for everyone: http://www.mushroomvideos.com
Are your grains or spawn clean? CLICK THIS CHECKLIST

OfflineRamJam
Stranger

#27249190 - 03/12/21 12:14 AM (3 years, 17 days ago)

damn, ok, so you just had to have 0 anything growing in your place until the adults were all cleared out?  I was reading gardening sites on how to get rid of them and that's basically the conclusion I have reached on my own so far...

but also, interesting creature kind of. I mean, the larvae are magnitudes larger than the adult flies. Kinda funny how they grow big then small. Not that I have even surface knowledge of the life cycles of insects, maybe in high school... but so I guess we are saying the adults plant the eggs in the sub. I was imagining since the flies are so damn small, if they lay like 1000 eggs or something at a time, seems possible they could float around in the air like spores.  But, I'm happy if that's not the case.

--------------------

OfflineInthepit
Aum Mani Padme Hum
Male User Gallery

Loc: Puerto Rico
    #27249315 - 03/12/21 04:15 AM (3 years, 17 days ago)

I wrapped my SBs in mosquito netting...

I also have diatomaceous earth in the oats. That is spiky and tears the soft newbies.
I'm not actually sure how much DE is left after hydrating the oats, but haven't had probs since.

And also we don't leave anything for them anymore:
    garbage always sealed and taken out each night
    sink strainer always clear
    no wet cat food
    no tubs that smell contaminated

--------------------
:sporedrop: GLOSSARY  :sporedrop: ACROMYMS!   :sporedrop: GETTING STARTED :sporedrop:

InvisiblezMan
zMan

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Inthepit] * 1
    #27249373 - 03/12/21 06:10 AM (3 years, 17 days ago)

I ran into the issue with bud and no matter how much I let the top dry out they just kept coming.

Eggs don't go air borne, they like moist surfaces that stay moist for a long time.

Diatomaceous earth would work but once you're seeing flies there's potentially 3-4 weeks of unmatched eggs somewhere. If you have soil or anything in the house they could go there also but the easiest thing to do is take a week or 2 pause or spawn new stuff far away from the old tubs and use sticky traps or those zappy lights near the tubs. They're bad flyers so they SHOULDN'T  make it some far away tubs.

--------------------

OfflineRamJam
Stranger

#27250522 - 03/12/21 10:23 PM (3 years, 16 days ago)

Oh wow that mosquito netting is a good idea. Not sure what I could do about the cat food. I'll have to think on that... I wonder if you can put DE in a sub. cuz i do have a huge bag of it. But my wife, who is a doctor, says that DE never breaks down or leaves your system if you like inhale it or whatever, so probably not a great thing to have in a sub. hmm

But ya zMan, idk how or why, but they are literally everywhere. Not a ton, but a growing number. I saw one fly out of a tub when I opened to mist today. And then there was just one next to the front door. And One in the bathroom. Literally the entire place has them now.

I guess my concern then is, I can deal with having no tubs going for a couple weeks. But the potted plants at the other end of my place.  I guess it's warm enough I could put them outside for a few days. But our neighborhood isn't the best for that cuz they'd just be on the sidewalk.

--------------------

OfflineRamJam
Stranger

#27250523 - 03/12/21 10:24 PM (3 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

zMan said:
I ran into the issue with bud and no matter how much I let the top dry out they just kept coming.

So zMan have you been able to really get rid of them? Or it's  constant battle?

OfflineInthepit
Aum Mani Padme Hum
Male User Gallery

Loc: Puerto Rico
    #27250716 - 03/13/21 04:03 AM (3 years, 16 days ago)

Yes a mask is a good idea when adding  diatomaceous earth, it's so dusty.

"Today's common D.E. formulations are safer to use as they are predominantly made up of
amorphous silica and contain little or no crystalline silica.[41]"

"Diatomite is of value as an insecticide, because of its abrasive and physico-sorptive properties.[20]
The fine powder adsorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of the exoskeletons of many species of insects;
this layer acts as a barrier that resists the loss of water vapour from the insect's body.
Damaging the layer increases the evaporation of water from their bodies, so that they dehydrate, often fatally. "

And IME the gnats show up as soon as there's something "good" around!

--------------------
:sporedrop: GLOSSARY  :sporedrop: ACROMYMS!   :sporedrop: GETTING STARTED :sporedrop:

Edited by Inthepit (03/13/21 04:10 AM)

InvisiblezMan
zMan

#27250855 - 03/13/21 07:24 AM (3 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

RamJam said:
Quote:

zMan said:

So zMan have you been able to really get rid of them? Or it's  constant battle?

With my bud I set sticky traps and a fan at pot level, but they still managed to thrive for months,  when my grow went down to 1 plant it dried out quick enough for them not to be able to reproduce.

My assumption was that DE was just abrasive enough to tear any larvae up but if it requires it today out the bugs first it won't work cause it will just pull water out of the sub until it's hydrated.

Is it possible to get rid of them and keep growing in the same space? I'm sure but the time spent doing that just isn't worth it to me and same thing they just kept appearing everywhere. They'll get under lids of monotubs and through polyfill somehow. So if you want the easy way out, finish any flushes and restart any fungus grows in 2 weeks to be safe but if I remember right the adults live for like 7 days (although I would do your own research and not take my word for that one).

I'm not sure wet cat food would be a vector for them but I suppose it could, I used  mycorhyzia in my bud so I assumed that's why they like that soil.

--------------------

OfflinePSam
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Kizzle] * 1
    #27251698 - 03/13/21 06:32 PM (3 years, 15 days ago)

I'm pretty sure these are contaminants, it looks too yellow to be metabolites.
First 2 pictures from the same tub, 3rd picture is from a different monotub

InvisibleSmartattack
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Loc: A thought
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: PSam] * 1
    #27251708 - 03/13/21 06:38 PM (3 years, 15 days ago)

Yeah that is contaminated to the max. I dont think growing in mud helped the situation. You will need to walk away from the mister bottle next time or get field capacity much much better.

--------------------
* Smarts videos :teacher:
* :thumbup: Planet of the APES:thumbup:

I'm a fungal white supremacist.

OfflinePSam
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Smartattack] * 1
    #27251722 - 03/13/21 06:45 PM (3 years, 15 days ago)

Thank you.
I had just misted it when I took these pics, I misted a bit extra because it was looking a bit extra dry today, maybe a touch too much

InvisibleSmartattack
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27251731 - 03/13/21 06:50 PM (3 years, 15 days ago)

The spawn was clearly quite bacterial from the get go for it to be that bad. This would be a great time to read....Clean spawn?

--------------------

OfflinePSam
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27251743 - 03/13/21 07:03 PM (3 years, 15 days ago)

The spawn was pure white and smelled fine, with zero yellow in the jars

InvisibleSmartattack
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27251753 - 03/13/21 07:12 PM (3 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

PSam said:
The spawn was pure white and smelled fine, with zero yellow in the jars

Smell means nothing. And yellow in jars is only when it is REALLY bad.

--------------------

Edited by Smartattack (03/13/21 07:13 PM)

Offlinetomislavmkd
Begginer Gourmet Grower
 User Gallery

Loc: Macedonia Flag
    #27252411 - 03/14/21 12:00 PM (3 years, 15 days ago)

https://imgur.com/a/SJhBqVE
so i bought enoki LC spawn from etsy its been 2 weeks since inoculation i am wondering if this is mycelium or cobweb i did shake the jar 1 week before there was minimal growth in the first week i used popcorn tek with no pressure cooker

also i am wondering if i am starving them of oxygen by having them in the plastic box?

Edited by tomislavmkd (03/14/21 01:04 PM)

Offlineartemismoon
Stranger
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: tomislavmkd] * 1
    #27253444 - 03/15/21 06:29 AM (3 years, 14 days ago)

Hey guys, I'm in the middle of my first grow. Noticed what looked like a spot of damp substrate on one of my jars and decided to be cautious and separate it out of my incubator and put it in a separate container to ensure there was no cross contamination and it didn't affect any of the other jars. Mycelium has started growing in most of my jars and all of them look completely clean/clear except that one, where it still looks dark in the same spot as a few days ago. The mycelium has begun to grow over the spot in the past day or two but I don't really know if that means anything. To me, it looks like some type of mold or contamination and I'm leaning towards tossing the jar and focusing on the others, but just wanted to check and confirm with y'all!

Pic: https://imgur.com/a/hb1dn9C

Offlineshroomeeee
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: artemismoon] * 1
    #27253809 - 03/15/21 11:02 AM (3 years, 14 days ago)

I just got my first growing kit and it's been about a week now since I've started growing them. It was a fresh kit, so I didn't have to do much.

I have the big suspicion that they are contaminated. Or better. They are for sure contaminated.
Two days ago the soil was covered with a purple colour and I have left them the way they were and now they are completely black. 

I would like to try it again, but I'm afraid to make the same mistake.
I have a heating matt and a clean room.
They where placed in indirect light and close to the heater (was on for three days and then I shut it off)
It's placed next to a couple of plants of mine. Could that have caused it?

Any suggestions? Maybe I've harvested them too late. I don't understand it. I thought I should let them grow for three weeks. Couldn't have possibly been one, right?

Thank you for your help!

Offlineshroomeeee
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: shroomeeee] * 1
    #27253817 - 03/15/21 11:09 AM (3 years, 14 days ago)

I just got my first growing kit and it's been about a week now since I've started growing them. It was a fresh kit, so I didn't have to do much.

I have the big suspicion that they are contaminated. Or better. They are for sure contaminated.
Two days ago the soil was covered with a purple colour and I have left them the way they were and now they are completely black.

I would like to try it again, but I'm afraid to make the same mistake.
I have a heating matt and a clean room.
They where placed in indirect light and close to the heater (was on for three days and then I shut it off)
It's placed next to a couple of plants of mine. Could that have caused it?

Any suggestions? Maybe I've harvested them too late. I don't understand it. I thought I should let them grow for three weeks. Couldn't have possibly been one, right?

Thank you for your help!

InvisiblezMan
zMan

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: shroomeeee] * 1
    #27254022 - 03/15/21 02:04 PM (3 years, 13 days ago)

Shromee those are spores, they drop if you let your fruits go to long. They're totally fine.

Artemis moon I would throw that out personally, looks like a contam.

Tom can't tell,  take it out of the tote and take a picture.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | Next > | Last >

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck