Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
Boletus pulverolentus? Florida w/pics.
    #2723995 - 05/24/04 05:09 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Today I found the first boletes of the summer season! They were found in my neighbor's lawn, their growth initiated by sprinklers. It has been very dry in Pinellas County. I am sure the next rain, if it comes within the next week or so, will bring the first major fruitings. This is one bolete I have not found before probably because I am usually either busy or gone at this time of the year. I suspect something like Boletus (Xerocomus) pulverulentus or maybe B. luridellus.

Cap: Strongly chestnut brown to DARK brown in all specimens, darkest in young. Tomentose (finely "haired") similarly to Xerocomus badius etc. Convex to nearly plane. Older specimens usually eaten away by snails etc., therefore having numerous "craters" on the cap surface that are sometimes discolored to rosy red. Cap size is 5-10 cm in diameter. Not viscid. Bruising is visible even on dark cap surface (permanent darkening)

Tubes/Pores: solid bright yellow turning greenish-dark yellow-brownish. Adnate to slightly depressed around the stalk. READILY bruising blue and fading to black after 10-15 minutes. Young specimens having slightly extended sterile margins on cap. Tubes relatively not long (0.5 - 1 cm)

Flesh: Bruising very strongly and IMMEDIATELY upon touching. First strong blue/violet then after a while turning flesh gray, and pores/stalk black. Strongest, fastest, and most vibrant bruising reaction I have ever seen. Taste mild. Orginally white.

Stipe: Equal to slightly tapering downard. About 1.2-2.8 cm in diameter. Solid yellow at apex and turning brownish red at base, minutely glandular where there is reddish coloration. Also bruising very strongly.

Spore print is being made right now. I assume it will be yellow/olive.

Here are some images, all of them are brightened except the small specimen which is only white-corrected.

STRONG bruising!

What do you all think, eh?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinethearmedforces
Disco Shroomerat 4:20

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Boletus pulverolentus? Florida w/pics. [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #2724026 - 05/24/04 05:20 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I've been finding Boletes for a few weeks now. Cool find, and good find. I can't tell you the species. As far as genus, it's Boletus. Not much help from me, but once again: cool find.

In comparision, does it remsemble this?

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Boletus pulverolentus? Florida w/pics. [Re: thearmedforces]
    #2724072 - 05/24/04 05:31 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thank you, but definately not. Your specimen is much more elongated and slender. The pictures I have presented display the smallest specimens I found, the older ones were usually thicker, especially the stipe, but similarly structured otherwise. Actually yours resembles Boletus piperatus = Chalciporus piperatus or a related Chalciporus. These often taste peppery. It could be any other bolete of course (Xerocomus), this is just a conjecture.

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2725067 - 05/24/04 09:39 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

The spore print is olive-brown.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2726091 - 05/25/04 01:23 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I'm leaning somewhat towards Boletus pseudosensibilis, which is very similar to B. pulverulentus. It looks like the easiest way to tell them apart without a microscope is to put a drop or two of Ammonium Hydroxide on the cap surface. Bessette says that household ammonia works fine. If it's B. pseudosensibilis, then it should turn blue, then dull purplish. If it's B. pulverulentus, then it should turn green to dark green.

Both species are considered, edible, but not recommended because they're difficult to identify reliably.

Nice find, photos, and description.

Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Boletus pulverolentus? Florida w/pics. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2728919 - 05/25/04 05:18 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thank you for replying Toxic. You have a good point with B. pseudosensibilis. Since I don't have any pure ammonia salt solutions in my house, I tried Windex cleaner, "with Ammonia d." The mushrooms definately bruises, although not as quickly as in the video of MushroomExpert.com, probably because there is a low concentration of ammonia. Unfortunately the cap is so dark that it is impossible to tell if it briuses blue, green, brown, or probably even yellow. The cap simply darkens and becomes basically black.

So I tried to put some cleaner on the gills and the stem and flesh. The stipe did not stain much at all. The gills seem to stain but I cannot tell if it is green or blue, they just seem to get darker with a blue (maybe greenish, who knows?) tinge. The flesh turns darker and precisely blue/green, but if I had to go with a predominant color I would go with blue. I can't say this confidently enough to go with B. pseudosensibilis however.

After these lackluster experiments I dropped an entire small specimen into a cup with the rest of the bottle of Windex in it. The water turned slowly brown-bluish, the pigment simply diffusing in the water. After a while the water became yellow and the entire specimen simply became dingier. No definate change in coloration

The only bruising I have observed, even after ripping apart the Windex-sodden mushroom is dark blue, in some cases almost violet.

Excepting these experiments, what I don't like about B. pseudosensibilis is that it often cracks in age, with the yellow flesh showing through, according to this website:
http://www.hti.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/page...ge;seq=00000289

None of my specimens seemed to crack, but they did have holes in them from bugs or snails. These holes did not reveal the yellow flesh but rather the rosy red discoloration following several hours after regular bruising. This is another feature that seems more in tune with B. pulverulentus, the "rusty" after-bruise or in old age, as this site states: http://www.grzyby.pl/gatunki/Boletus_pulverulentus.htm

The cap-stem ratio also seems more representative of B. pulverulentus, as well as the DARK BROWN coloration of the cap. B. pseudosensibilis tends to have a lighter dingy brown/tan to reddish coloration.

I suppose there is nothing more for you to help me with, a real ammonia test would show the difference. Thank you again and reply if you have any additional comments.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom