Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, HEPA Filter, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineNinnyMuggins
Stranger
 User Gallery

Just looking for another set of eyes...
    #27218168 - 02/21/21 12:06 PM (7 days, 14 hours ago)

Hello all,

So, I've been trying to dial in my martha.

I think the big mistake I was making was continuing to use lids on the shoeboxes. I took them off yesterday and I think things are looking ok.
There's a bit of metabolites and the centers are a little messed up from where the lids were dripping and causing some pooling and I think I left the lids on a bit too long.
I think I see a few knots forming.

This is a mix of B+ and PE, MS to agar. After getting some good growth from the spore prints I separated all the mycelium into more agar dishes and labeled it all. Then I transferred the center of all of those dishes to more dishes and inoculated WBS grain jars with the remainder of the dishes so that I have the full set of genetics left over after I see what boxes do best...I will also be cloning the first and largest and most "clustery" fruits as well(if I get any :crazy2:)

I'm doing 1:1 WBS to Coir with no casing. I'm kinda thinking I should have done 1:2 or 1:3 as there are a lot of grains showing and I believe I read somewhere that this wasn't a great thing.

RH is currently 91% with temps around 75F. Having trouble getting over 90% without excess moisture buildup; currently thinking about getting a warm mist humidifier to see if that will help. I feed air in with a HEPA filter from the top and exhaust out the bottom for 20 seconds 10 times an hour (though the airflow is pretty low, I may need to increase the size of the exhaust ports). I also have a low volume HEPA filter running at all times inside the martha for circulation and to hopefully help reduce the moisture buildup.

...Do you see anything I should be concerned about (beside that I should probably be growing these under my bed instead of in a Martha :spank: lol)?

Edited by NinnyMuggins (02/21/21 02:17 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineNinnyMuggins
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Just looking for another set of eyes... [Re: NinnyMuggins]
    #27219722 - 02/22/21 09:56 AM (6 days, 17 hours ago)

Just a quick update, I've noticed a few bottom pins on some of the B+ this morning.
...I'd like to see if I can get this thing dialed in so that doesn't keep happening (I've noticed it in other Martha's on here as well).
Eventually I will give up on the Martha if it keeps bottom pinning, but...I just can't quite yet.

Edit 1: Been reading and reading. Came across this post by Sockadin that says if you switch to fruiting conditions earlier you're likely to get fewer side and bottom pins.
Is there any consensus on that? I went to fruiting conditions way late so maybe that's my issue or at least one of them.

Edit 2: Nothing new but just wanting to get the question out there. Most people will say that the reason you get side/bottom pins is because the surface conditions aren't great, but, I'm getting side and bottom pins before the substrate has even pulled away from the sides so it's hard to see how there could be any evap or how the conditions could be better than the top. I need to read up more on surface conditions. Any thoughts?

Edit 3: Ran across another post talking about surface conditions being too wet being the cause for side and bottom pins. I know my conditions were probably too wet for a while but I think they look ok now. Hopefully someone can take a look at the pics above and give me there opinion.

Edit 4: Meant to mention this earlier, but I was thinking about blocking the light on the bottoms of my shoeboxes in hopes that it would help prevent the side and bottom pins but this post states that's not going to be the issue. I know that evap is the biggest pinning trigger but there isn't really any evap on the sides and bottoms right now...so?

Edit 5: Here are some better photos of some of my surface conditions:

Edited by NinnyMuggins (02/22/21 11:06 AM)

OfflineNinnyMuggins
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27221903 - 02/23/21 11:37 AM (5 days, 15 hours ago)

Well, after a sensor failure last night I've decided to pivot and ditch the Martha for now...I may return to it one day but I guess you have to know when to give up sometimes.  :sad:

Would still love it if someone could take a look at the photos and just give a quick opinion. I think they look ok for the most part, but today I noticed that my fastest growing PE has some disturbing coloration.

Not sure if it's bacterial and just a bunch of little blobs forming around the sides and bottom or what.

OfflineCocaineBuffet
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Just looking for another set of eyes... [Re: NinnyMuggins] * 1
    #27222805 - 02/23/21 09:51 PM (5 days, 5 hours ago)

I saw this thread when you first posted it and its a bit too much for me to unpack so here is my opinion at a glance.

You are in the right direction using agar so kudos to that! The inoculates that I like to use are usually more than 1 or 2 transfers in (if I read it correctly). I would not personally inoculate with all the B+ plates from your OP.

As far as your second post: the surface looks a bit water logged than I would prefer. Ease up on the misting, a properly dialed in tub needs a heavy misting at spawn until harvest.

3rd post: those look like very young side pins to my eye, doesn't look like bacteria IMO.

OfflineNarasimha
In Pleasure and Pain
Male

Re: Just looking for another set of eyes... [Re: CocaineBuffet]
    #27222932 - 02/23/21 11:11 PM (5 days, 3 hours ago)

Looks like you are on the path to Agar Mastery! Nice plates!

OfflineRamJam
Stranger

#27223201 - 02/24/21 03:13 AM (4 days, 23 hours ago)

are you taking your transfers from the middle of the plates? Try grabbing a tiny peice off the leading edge where it's stretching out for growth. you get better growth but maybe more importantly can more accurately isolate strains. 

But ya, looks like you're gonna learn a ton from this whirlwind haha

--------------------

OfflineNinnyMuggins
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Just looking for another set of eyes... [Re: RamJam]
    #27224142 - 02/24/21 04:23 PM (4 days, 10 hours ago)

Quote:

CocaineBuffet said:
I saw this thread when you first posted it and its a bit too much for me to unpack so here is my opinion at a glance.

You are in the right direction using agar so kudos to that! The inoculates that I like to use are usually more than 1 or 2 transfers in (if I read it correctly). I would not personally inoculate with all the B+ plates from your OP.

As far as your second post: the surface looks a bit water logged than I would prefer. Ease up on the misting, a properly dialed in tub needs a heavy misting at spawn until harvest.

3rd post: those look like very young side pins to my eye, doesn't look like bacteria IMO.

Thanks so much for the reply! Yes, it looks like that PE box (which was the fastest plate, fastest jar and fasted to colonize the substrate, is just forming a bunch of blobs. Glad it isn't looking like contams.

And I agree, it definitely was too wet. I had it all in a martha but ditched that and have been trying to leave them alone. They are doing ok...I'll post pics in a couple days of the progress. Most of the pinning has been on the bottom so I flipped them and the pins are growing fairly well now. Won't by a huge first flush though.

Thank you again for taking a look!

Quote:

Narasimha said:
Looks like you are on the path to Agar Mastery! Nice plates!

Thank you very much! I'm trying...sometime my brain goes a little haywire, but I think I'm getting some good methods down. I've retained all the original genetics and will re-transfer the ones that correspond to the boxes the do the best.

Quote:

RamJam said:
are you taking your transfers from the middle of the plates? Try grabbing a tiny peice off the leading edge where it's stretching out for growth. you get better growth but maybe more importantly can more accurately isolate strains. 

But ya, looks like you're gonna learn a ton from this whirlwind haha

Yeah, actually, took from the center in order to more easily transfer all the genetics to the various plates: sections 1,2 and 3 subsections A,B,C and D.
The plate on the right of that photo is where my brain went haywire and wanted to keep the very center and the outer ring. Currently 1D is doing the best and I should have a full set of those genetics remaining for transfer. Now that I think of it, I will be able to cut a much smaller wedge from the remaining center portion of section 1D so the growth in the new plate will be easier to identify the most aggressive portion. I overthink everything and it's detrimental.

Thanks again for all the replies!

Edited by NinnyMuggins (02/24/21 04:46 PM)

OfflineNinnyMuggins
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27225604 - 02/25/21 11:28 AM (3 days, 15 hours ago)

Just a quick update...

I flipped and raised almost all the B+ since they were bottom pinning so much.
If you notice on the left there's a little guy who's veil is breaking. I'm going to research how big these are normally supposed to get but this does seem a bit early/small. Though admittedly I'm used to GT and PE.

Edit: Been reading about the size variations in B+. We'll see if they are any larger in the second flush...these boxes have had some pretty weird conditions since being in the martha initially. Hopefully the next go-around will turn out better results.

Also, all the PE are starting to blob up. I'll be keeping an eye on them to see when they stop growing. Will probably be raising and flipping several of the PE boxes as well unless you guys think I should leave them but they look to be bottom pinning pretty hard.

Edited by NinnyMuggins (02/25/21 12:56 PM)

OfflineCocaineBuffet
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27226783 - 02/26/21 12:56 AM (3 days, 2 hours ago)

The size of the fruits if you are going from multi spore means its a roll of the dice, the only way to expect fruits of a certain size is by cloning. Also I would wait to harvest when half or more start tearing their veils. If you harvest at the first sight of veil breaking you are not letting the rest of the fruits to mature to be a larger size.

Your PE tub appears to be blobbing but the yellow metabolites indicate your substrate might be fighting contamination. Keep your eyes on it.

OfflineNinnyMuggins
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27227831 - 02/26/21 05:32 PM (2 days, 9 hours ago)

Quote:

CocaineBuffet said:
The size of the fruits if you are going from multi spore means its a roll of the dice, the only way to expect fruits of a certain size is by cloning. Also I would wait to harvest when half or more start tearing their veils. If you harvest at the first sight of veil breaking you are not letting the rest of the fruits to mature to be a larger size.

Your PE tub appears to be blobbing but the yellow metabolites indicate your substrate might be fighting contamination. Keep your eyes on it.

Yeah, just harvested today, left quite a few alone and harvested the ones with torn veils or where the veil was about to tear.
Will definitely be keeping an eye on it. At one point (actually multiple points) the temps got really high for sustained periods of time (have corrected that) which I think caused some contamination issues.
Thanks for the help!

OfflineNinnyMuggins
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27227856 - 02/26/21 05:45 PM (2 days, 9 hours ago)

Ok, so, I harvested 222.33wg from 5 shoeboxes, Most of them were bottom pins and I had flipped the sub's over to allow them to grow. ...here's a picture of one:

Gee-wiz these guys are tiny. I saved the largest from the largest clusters for cloning. Hopefully it was my shitty initial martha conditions that caused them to be so small. I'll be transferring the genetics from the best boxes and running them again along with the clones but will probably be putting more energy into the PE and GT if these don't give some decent yields.

Wanted to see if anyone would take a look at this surface and just tell me what you think of it:

Anyway, hopefully I get some flushes out of the PE's...at least I'll ave some decent blobs from them if nothing else.

OfflineCocaineBuffet
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27228310 - 02/26/21 11:06 PM (2 days, 3 hours ago)

Small fruits could be a result of MS grow, over watering, under watering, lack or too much FAE.

What kind of tub did you fruit them in?

Did you modify the tub? In what ways?

What was your misting schedule?

Did you soak the sub when spawned to the tub?

How much spawn to sub did you use?

OfflineNinnyMuggins
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27228843 - 02/27/21 10:54 AM (1 day, 16 hours ago)

Small fruits could be a result of MS grow, over watering, under watering, lack or too much FAE. MS to agar, was in a martha so probably had too much moisture and not enough FAE

What kind of tub did you fruit them in? 6qt shoeboxes

Did you modify the tub? In what ways? Unmodified, started with snapped lids, then flipped now dubbed

What was your misting schedule? Check multiple times a day and just making sure the surface has moisture

Did you soak the sub when spawned to the tub? Using Coir at field capacity

How much spawn to sub did you use? 1:1 WBS to Coir

OfflineCocaineBuffet
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27229716 - 02/27/21 09:35 PM (1 day, 5 hours ago)

Based on your answers it sounds like it was the result of the genetic roll of the MS dice.

A martha is not needed in most circumstances for growing cubes. If your grow space is in the 70F range you won't need it. Then again it is winter so you maybe somewhere where it is snowing.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, HEPA Filter, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started