Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
InvisibleLeafRaker
nomad
 User Gallery

Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: Shroomhunts]
    #27210687 - 02/17/21 07:50 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

This is super interesting. Before I went ovoid hunting I read all threads here documenting the years of ovoid seasons. It hit me that there wasn't a really highly calibrated sense of what they looked like. While everyone had a pretty strong sense of the when, where, how they fruited, what they looked like was a whole other thing.

I've been hoping that that bioinformatics student (here's the thread: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27186783 ) returns to this forum. It would be cool (possibly a very bad idea, as well!) to share a bunch of our spring finds with them, including some level of geographic identifier, and see what kind of relatedness can be gleaned, if only to show a family tree that gives us some conception of how populations have spread.

At this point, how many phenos do we have that get called ovoids here? I'm thinking we have seen at least half a dozen.

--------------------
Knowledge is finite, ignorance is infinite.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAllium
Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: LeafRaker]
    #27210753 - 02/17/21 08:43 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Man, I can't wait until this season starts I'm spending all day every good day that I can out in the bush! I found some awesome new spots, and I'm itching to explore them! Only two more months to go :excited:

InvisibleLeafRaker
nomad
 User Gallery

Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: Allium]
    #27210874 - 02/17/21 09:47 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

You and me both! I'm eager to check out new and old spots. I also psyched to see if any of my attempts at spreading stem butts have paid off! Hopefully our coming storm is going to help the myc spread!

--------------------

InvisibleAllium
    #27210923 - 02/17/21 10:30 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah man, I have never been so excited, mainly because I have never had a ride to my spots, and have missed out previous years. My spots are 30 miles away and ovoids don't grow in my immediate area sadly. I have a ride this year though, so I'll go as much as I can :cool:

OfflineShroomhunts
Hunter Gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: PA
    #27211030 - 02/17/21 11:32 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

LeafRaker said:
This is super interesting. Before I went ovoid hunting I read all threads here documenting the years of ovoid seasons. It hit me that there wasn't a really highly calibrated sense of what they looked like. While everyone had a pretty strong sense of the when, where, how they fruited, what they looked like was a whole other thing.

I've been hoping that that bioinformatics student (here's the thread: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27186783 ) returns to this forum. It would be cool (possibly a very bad idea, as well!) to share a bunch of our spring finds with them, including some level of geographic identifier, and see what kind of relatedness can be gleaned, if only to show a family tree that gives us some conception of how populations have spread.

At this point, how many phenos do we have that get called ovoids here? I'm thinking we have seen at least half a dozen.

Definitely getting close to double digits as far as pheno types go, the problem is that variance does not always indicate they are different species, for example if you found albino penis Envy growing wild you would most certainly come to the conclusion that it is a separate species from psilocybe cubensis. But in reality it's just a genetic freak. The only real way to tell would be widespread genetic sequencing and high quality microscopy of the ovoid collections from all corners of their know range. Obviously this is a little unrealistic as most people who find and collect them are doing so to dry them out and eat them, not do Mycology work.

On another note I'm planning to try and spread the naturalizing cyans I found at the end of the season. My plan is to soak those little absorbent water beads in spores and spread them with a fully automatic machine gun in all the flood plains and public parks.

Edited by Shroomhunts (02/17/21 11:35 AM)

InvisibleLeafRaker
nomad
 User Gallery

#27212697 - 02/18/21 09:45 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I remember that cyan report, I nearly wet my pants! I hadn't registered that that was you. I love me some cyans, hopefully they can spread their magic on this side of the continent. And I was just rereading last year's Ovoid thread and realized it was you that got to forage from those recently chopped down box elders. And to think I thought a few big pan cincts showing up on my lawn was the mush finding me!

Double-digit 'Ovoid' phenos is mind blowing to me. I love both finding them and asking questions about what's what with them. I'm not sure well-funded science cares at all about them, though. And for us foragers less attention might be better.

I have a few questions about our so-called Ovoid populations:
1. Is there ever an environment with a uniquely high number (or all) of phenos present? With humans, people assume African origins because genetic diversity within Africa is so much bigger than that within all non-African populations. Similarly some plants, like apples, have particular forests where you see basically everything imaginable. If that spot exists for Ovoids...

2. I'm pretty sure it was you who recommended in some thread to smell your finds, even if you don't collect them. This has to be one of the best foraging tips I've seen and I'll work to put it into practice. My real question here: do different Ovoid phenos smell different?

Obviously, I'm looking forward to the spring season. :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisibleavidpicker
funnycolorsinmymushrooms
 User Gallery

Loc: Mushroom Mountain
    #27217487 - 02/20/21 09:28 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Shroomhunts said:
Quote:

LeafRaker said:

Definitely getting close to double digits as far as pheno types go, the problem is that variance does not always indicate they are different species, for example if you found albino penis Envy growing wild you would most certainly come to the conclusion that it is a separate species from psilocybe cubensis. But in reality it's just a genetic freak. The only real way to tell would be widespread genetic sequencing and high quality microscopy of the ovoid collections from all corners of their know range. Obviously this is a little unrealistic as most people who find and collect them are doing so to dry them out and eat them, not do Mycology work.

On another note I'm planning to try and spread the naturalizing cyans I found at the end of the season. My plan is to soak those little absorbent water beads in spores and spread them with a fully automatic machine gun in all the flood plains and public parks.

Hey if you need help spreading the cyans I could help with that task. Wink wink

--------------------

Invisibleavidpicker
funnycolorsinmymushrooms
 User Gallery

Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: avidpicker]
    #27217491 - 02/20/21 09:32 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

This is another variation I found in floodplains some years ago. I've never found another ovoid that looked like this again. It had the typical wet flour smell but with a hint of cucumber.

--------------------

Edited by avidpicker (02/20/21 09:43 PM)

OnlineMoria841
Male

Loc: NJ Flag
Trusted Identifier
    #27217505 - 02/20/21 09:53 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

That looks like one that got a little screwed up due to environmental factors, or a strange mutant.

--------------------

Moria's Gymnopilus Guide

Invisibleavidpicker
funnycolorsinmymushrooms
 User Gallery

Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: Moria841]
    #27217526 - 02/20/21 10:09 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Moria841 said:
That looks like one that got a little screwed up due to environmental factors, or a strange mutant.

There was more than one in this particular patch. This is the only picture I have left. This one was the funkiest of the bunch but the other few I found were the same color with the thick stringy stems. Reminded me of cubensis stems as far as the thickness.

--------------------

OnlineMoria841
Male

Loc: NJ Flag
Trusted Identifier
    #27217528 - 02/20/21 10:11 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Very cool! Ovoids are very closely related to cubes

--------------------

Moria's Gymnopilus Guide

OfflineShroomhunts
Hunter Gatherer
Male User Gallery

Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: Moria841]
    #27219021 - 02/21/21 06:45 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Wish you had more pictures those are exhibiting some pretty cool sectoid traits. My personal favorite is the voids that grow in particular sector of floodplain here have super wavy caps I think they look dank as hell.

Sterile fruits and nipple caps also turn me on. I wish they were more common on this side of the state.

If you ever find those sectoid ones be sure to get spores and tissue sample. The cucumber smell is an interesting touch.

--------------------

You never kno

Edited by Shroomhunts (02/21/21 06:54 PM)

Invisibleevlyshrooms
willi weilii
Male User Gallery

#27219044 - 02/21/21 07:02 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

woww that's gotta be coolest ovoid I've seen, massive too

--------------------

OfflineShroomhunts
Hunter Gatherer
Male User Gallery

Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: evlyshrooms]
    #27219067 - 02/21/21 07:20 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Issa pin bruh
But real shit ovoids can get massive the biggest one I've found was longer than my arm

--------------------

You never kno

Edited by Shroomhunts (02/21/21 08:16 PM)

Invisibleavidpicker
funnycolorsinmymushrooms
 User Gallery

#27219348 - 02/21/21 10:39 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Shroomhunts said:
Issa pin bruh
But real shit ovoids can get massive

No doubt

--------------------

OfflineShroomhunts
Hunter Gatherer
Male User Gallery

#27219965 - 02/22/21 09:47 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Damn that's a thick ass cluster were those growing from mulch or buried wood

--------------------

You never kno

Invisibleevlyshrooms
willi weilii
Male User Gallery

#27220374 - 02/22/21 01:54 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

If last year's a good indication for what to expect this go round, we should be seeing some life within next week or so down here. The weather's right for it at least... Projected highs in mid 60s and lows above 40 :smirk:

--------------------

OfflineOvoidhunter
Buttery Crescent
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: evlyshrooms]
    #27221228 - 02/22/21 10:37 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I think it was april 23 last year when I found some. I was a bit late getting out tho.

--------------------

OfflineShroomhunts
Hunter Gatherer
Male User Gallery

#27221765 - 02/23/21 07:43 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Should see some fruits in March here if the ice melts.

--------------------

You never kno

Invisibleavidpicker
funnycolorsinmymushrooms
 User Gallery

Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: Shroomhunts] * 1
    #27221838 - 02/23/21 08:51 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Shroomhunts said:
Damn that's a thick ass cluster were those growing from mulch or buried wood

Wood mulch. I like to look for projects they do along creeks where they put the sediment socks with mulch in them when the job is done. Usually the following season you get this...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck