Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineedgar1337
Professional Moron
Male
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #26982077 - 10/12/20 06:19 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:
Perhaps. You can also use larger holes in fewer larger holes such as 3/8" holes.

Ive made SGFC with less-than-spec holes and it still works great.

What about the holes on the bottom. I keep seeing mixed messages with that. Some say bigger or more holes on the bottom so the air rises through moist perlite, but others say use the same amount of holes.

Also, is there a way to test if your SGFC is working properly without putting cakes in and seeing if they fail or not?

Or is it really not that complicated? As in, there isn't a whole lot of room for failure, just as long as it has holes?

--------------------

"Mistakes are, after all, the foundations of truth, and if a man does not know what a thing is, it is at least an increase in knowledge if he knows what it is not."

-Carl Jung

"The current state of knowledge is a moment in history, changing just as rapidly as the state of knowledge in the past has ever changed and, in many instances, more rapidly."
-Jean Piaget

Edited by edgar1337 (10/12/20 06:21 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMunchauzen
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: edgar1337]
    #26982133 - 10/12/20 06:59 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

edgar1337 said:
Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:
there isn't a whole lot of room for failure

trust the tek. follow it to the T and it will treat you well.

OfflineBondVillain
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: SpitballJedi]
    #27102776 - 12/22/20 04:50 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Question: how do you keep the chamber at the right  temperature? I just bought a heating mat for germinating seeds. Will this work? How do I position it?

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

Loc: attending Snake Church
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: BondVillain]
    #27102837 - 12/22/20 05:40 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Don't use a heating mat. It will be too warm.

--------------------
"The Rolling Stones will break up over Brian Jones' dead body"    John Lennon

I don't want no commies in my car. No Christians either.

The worst thing about corruption is that it works so well,

OfflineBondVillain
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: Brian Jones]
    #27114777 - 12/29/20 07:07 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Is this method preferable to the “water tub tek” method? I’m debating which one to use.

InvisiblebobwastakenS
under construction
 User Gallery

Loc: SA
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: BondVillain] * 1
    #27115142 - 12/29/20 10:35 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

The water tub precedes the SGFC and exploits the resilience of one species to poor air exchange. It falls into the category of choke chambers like the monotub or unmodified tubs. It's also among the easiest methods to fruit P.cubensis. If that's all you intend to grow have at it.

The SGFC is not a one trick pony and addresses the requirements of many species. When built and used as described it works fantastic with minimal tending.

OfflineBondVillain
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: bobwastaken]
    #27115943 - 12/30/20 10:31 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

bobwastaken said:
The water tub precedes the SGFC and exploits the resilience of one species to poor air exchange. It falls into the category of choke chambers like the monotub or unmodified tubs. It's also among the easiest methods to fruit P.cubensis. If that's all you intend to grow have at it.

The SGFC is not a one trick pony and addresses the requirements of many species. When built and used as described it works fantastic with minimal tending.

Thanks for the response. I'm growing B+ mushroom species but am also thinking about doing some gourmet mushrooms as well.

OfflineLamuni1
Stranger
Male

#27221525 - 02/23/21 04:35 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Should i fill holes with cotton? should I fan cakes directly? should i use spray on my cakes or on walls? should I open SFGC?

--------------------
just wanna know where to get spore syrgine and chamber stuff

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: Lamuni1]
    #27221536 - 02/23/21 04:50 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

No Don't stuff the holes. Notice how no where did it say to do that. Don't make up your own directions.

Fanning is unnecessary. You're overthinking it. You fan the sgfc which has the cakes in it. You fan by waving the lid a couple times after misting. If you feel like it.

Walls don't grow. Neither does plastic. Of course spray the cakes.

You have to open the sgfc to mist...

OfflineLamuni1
Stranger
Male

Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: bodhisatta]
    #27221577 - 02/23/21 05:20 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Ty mate <3 now i get everything (almost)

--------------------

OfflineLamuni1
Stranger
Male

Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: bodhisatta]
    #27221585 - 02/23/21 05:25 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

oh and yes one more question how do you think should i use lamp or natural light is enough? if i should use lamps. where do i place them on the lid?

--------------------

OfflineLamuni1
Stranger
Male

#27221631 - 02/23/21 06:15 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

how can i deff my chamber from containment ??? what are chances when i fan after spraying my cakes will get infected? is infection that serious?

--------------------

OfflineFun_Guy5387
Stranger
    #27337896 - 06/06/21 05:59 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Subscribed!

OfflineNZ.huntress
Stranger
Female User Gallery
Loc: Wellington NZ Flag
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: Fun_Guy5387]
    #27427106 - 08/13/21 05:13 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Hey everyone,
My understanding is that my tub needs holes drilled into the bottom, but my perlite is small grains and I'm worried it will drop out through the holes.

Is there a different kind of perlite I should get or is that the right stuff?

InvisibleMunchauzen
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: NZ.huntress]
    #27427293 - 08/13/21 09:20 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

most people just deal with a little mess underneath it. but you could get a $10 roll of synthetic window screen to put on the bottom that would hold it in without affecting air flow

OfflineNZ.huntress
Stranger
Female User Gallery
Loc: Wellington NZ Flag
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: Munchauzen]
    #27427384 - 08/14/21 12:07 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Ah yes!! Thank you, that's a great idea

Offlinenaturegrower
Explorer
I'm a teapot
Loc: salty sand
    #27476144 - 09/20/21 07:08 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Do I still need to use vermiculite or is it substituted here for perlite?

OfflineDr.Shroom1357
Stranger
    #27547668 - 11/18/21 01:05 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
This is part of my series "The Basics"

Principles and construction of Shotgun Fruiting Chambers (SGFC):

This guide is not focused on PF/BRF cakes per se. It's really just the basics of how the SGFC works. Having the basic concept of how it works is a good foundation to build on.

How it's made

A properly made SGFC Is made of a clear/transparent tote with 1/4" holes on all 6 sides about 2" apart in a grid pattern. All 6 sides means the 4 vertical sides AND top AND bottom.

They need 4"-5" of damp perlite. You may need to rinse the perlite a few times to get rid of the dust. The dust can accumulate at the bottom, clogging the holes. A few pieces of perlite may fall through the hole, but only a few.

Principle of operation

A properly made SGFC uses natural air currents to create high relative humidity (RH) and constant fresh air exchange (FAE).

The fresh air flows in through the bottom holes and rises up through the damp perlite assisting in evaporation. This evaporation is where you get your humidity.

Because humid air rises, it flows up and out the other holes, thus allowing more fresh air in through the bottom. This is how you get constant FAE without sacrificing humidity.

And yes, fresh air also comes in through other holes as well, but without it coming in through the damp perllite, your SGFC and cakes will dry out faster, the perlite becomes practically useless, and your FAE is reduced.

Some Things to Consider

The SGFC must not sit directly on a flat surface. It needs to be elevated. If not elevated, air can't flow in through the bottom and the whole system breaks down.

You can set your SGFC on some half-pint wide-mouth jars to elevate it. I would say at least 2 inches is minimum.

I made a little stand for mine out of some PVC I had laying around. It's about 4" tall

Running a fan in the room with your SGFC will also disrupt the natural currents and dry everything out too fast.

Because of the constant FAE, your cakes will dry out if not misted regularly.

Mist your cakes till they glisten with moisture. There is a magic time when your cakes are no longer glistening, but they still appear moist, this is when you want to mist again. The Misted Cake Project is a thread for pics of cakes to show what they look like at various stages of growth before and after misting. This thread will hopefully help you understand when to mist.

Mist as often as required. Schedules may vary slightly from region to region, but 3-6 times a day is pretty common. Misting and then evaporation off the cake surface promotes pin formation.

Mist cakes directly with a fine mist. The over-spray helps keep your perlite damp. Misting the walls serves absolutely no purpose.

Only fan after misting. The reason for fanning is to empty the SGFC of humid air. The is jump-starts evaporation from the cakes. If you fan between misting, then you risk drying the cakes out too much too fast. It's debatable if fanning even really makes a difference. I don't fan. If you do fan, it only takes a couple waves of the lid to empty the chamber.

Condensation

Condensation forms on the inside walls when the temperature inside the SGFC is higher than outside the SGFC. A properly made SGFC shouldn't have enough of a temperature difference to cause condensation. If it does, then you are not likely getting good FAE. In other words, condensation is not a good sign of proper humidity, instead it's more of a sign of low FAE.

Tub Size

Your SGFC needs to have enough room for 4-5 inches of perlite plus 5-10 inches of head space for cakes and growth. I use a 64 quart Sterilite 1928.

Really big totes can cause cakes on the outer edge to dry/evaporate faster do to uneven circulation. Really small totes are not big enough to create it's own circulation system.

Word to the wise: Don't get too bogged down wanting to know why stuff is done the way it's done or coming up with your own clever modifications or methods. Instead, do what is known to work and figure out why later.

RoggerRabbit's SGFC VIdeo(part 3 shows the SGFC construction process)

Offlinespuitzakje
Female
    #27549159 - 11/19/21 01:49 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Thank you so much Jedi! I now better understand the physics behind a SGFC.:thumbup:

Edited by spuitzakje (01/19/22 02:09 PM)

OfflinePsyloFreak
spore art

#27652715 - 02/09/22 06:24 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

When drilling the holes in the side should I drill them down below the level of the perlite or just from the 4-5" mark and up? Was hard to see in the pix if the side holes went all the way to the bottom.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract