Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Hot Plate, Peat, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLuminous7

Building a pasturizing Unit ( pics included)
    #27220240 - 02/22/21 02:37 PM (3 days, 23 hours ago)

so i wana build  a small pasturizer unit for doing casing layers for pe varieties.

Im thinking to put a sous vide in a small metal pot ( maybe 3.5L pot with metal lid)

As well as a submersible pump in the bottom of the pot to move around the heat in the water.

Would this be a good option? I was pasturizing on the stove in a pot of water and bag of jiffy but was getting contams sometimes, and i dont really want to let the casing sit for a week to recolonize beneficial microbes.

So i think the sous vide option is the best for precise temp control.

Im sure sous vide units have temp controls built in but i can also hook it to an ink bird.

What do yall think?

--------------------

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLuminous7

Re: Building a pasturizing Unit ( pics included) [Re: Luminous7]
    #27220250 - 02/22/21 02:42 PM (3 days, 23 hours ago)

kinda copying this but im unsure about the water pump situation . If my pump will circulate enopugh water for even heat distribution.

Also the pics are removed from this thread lol

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/25370870/fpart/2/vc/1#25370870

--------------------

OfflineLuminous7

#27220301 - 02/22/21 03:07 PM (3 days, 23 hours ago)

bump? lol

--------------------

InvisibleBaba Yaga
Stranger

#27220858 - 02/22/21 08:39 PM (3 days, 17 hours ago)

Those sous vide immersion (stick type) cookers do circulate the water already, otherwise they wouldn't do their job properly. At least the ones I saw did.

I use a bench top unit I got for cheap at a thrift store but if I would use an immersion unit I would build me a pasteurizing bath out of a
cooler (coleman or what ever brand) because it's insulated and does keep the temperature better. It will take longer to get the core temp up as
you are keeping the water at pasteurization temp only.

--------------------

OfflineLuminous7

Re: Building a pasturizing Unit ( pics included) [Re: Baba Yaga]
    #27220888 - 02/22/21 08:53 PM (3 days, 17 hours ago)

Quote:

Baba Yaga said:
Those sous vide immersion (stick type) cookers do circulate the water already, otherwise they wouldn't do their job properly. At least the ones I saw did.

I use a bench top unit I got for cheap at a thrift store but if I would use an immersion unit I would build me a pasteurizing bath out of a
cooler (coleman or what ever brand) because it's insulated and does keep the temperature better. It will take longer to get the core temp up as
you are keeping the water at pasteurization temp only.

Oh cool, i didnt even realise there were bench top units.

How long does yours take roughly to get to core temp?

Also , do you think The little pump I have is needed ? would it be beneficial either way?

--------------------

OfflineGrimsweeper
don't fear the sweeper
 User Gallery

Loc: broom closet
    #27220926 - 02/22/21 09:08 PM (3 days, 17 hours ago)

As said above a sous vide does everything you're trying to do by itself. I don't use one anymore since I haven't used a casing in a long time but probably took an hour to get to core temp. Slow cooker for substrates.

--------------------
When you clean a vacuum cleaner you are a vacuum cleaner
Build yourself a Flow Hood in these 99 simple steps

InvisibleBaba Yaga
Stranger

#27221086 - 02/22/21 10:57 PM (3 days, 15 hours ago)

My cooker is basically a slow cooker that has a sous vide function so I can set temp and time.

Never measured how long it takes to reach core temp. It will also depend on the volume you are pasteurizing. I do like 6 hrs minimum but I always
prep the maximum amount I can fit in there which is 3.5 quart in a single container.

--------------------

Offlinepureshrooming
feels like a stranger
 User Gallery

#27221137 - 02/22/21 11:37 PM (3 days, 14 hours ago)

I just built one of these to replace my sous vide. Used a cooler I already had but this parts will carry over to whatever you want to put them in.

OfflineLuminous7

#27221384 - 02/23/21 02:56 AM (3 days, 11 hours ago)

Quote:

Baba Yaga said:
My cooker is basically a slow cooker that has a sous vide function so I can set temp and time.

Never measured how long it takes to reach core temp. It will also depend on the volume you are pasteurizing. I do like 6 hrs minimum but I always
prep the maximum amount I can fit in there which is 3.5 quart in a single container.

6 hours at 140-165F ? wow thats longer than I thought was needed.

Would that long of time be needed for Jiffy mix casing? ( peat most, coir, lime ) Or is the 6 hours more for Manure type subs?

--------------------

OfflineLuminous7

Re: Building a pasturizing Unit ( pics included) [Re: pureshrooming]
    #27221394 - 02/23/21 03:03 AM (3 days, 11 hours ago)

Quote:

pureshrooming said:
I just built one of these to replace my sous vide. Used a cooler I already had but this parts will carry over to whatever you want to put them in.

Nice little rig!

I was lookin at those bucket heaters they look cool.

Is there benefits from using the bucket heater over the sous Vide?

Those bucket heaters look like they get fucking cookin , are they able to be temp set at all or it relies purely on the ink bird.

Considering the precise temp control with sous vide and its built in " heat dispersing function " it seems like an ideal choice over the bucket heater no?
:shrug:

ps thanks for the feed back guys, I think ill make a sweet litte cooler rig aswell :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleBaba Yaga
Stranger

#27221530 - 02/23/21 06:43 AM (3 days, 7 hours ago)

Quote:

Luminous7 said:
Quote:

Baba Yaga said:

Would that long of time be needed for Jiffy mix casing? ( peat most, coir, lime ) Or is the 6 hours more for Manure type subs?

No, it doesn't really matter what you're pasteurizing as long as what ever you are putting in there is homogeneous and has a small particle size, 
no big solid chunks in it. I do it that long because I usually pasteurize a large amount as a single mass at once. If I would just do
a small amount or would split it up into individual quart jars I would do less time of course. It all depends on the size, that is also why
you have to sterilize big grain bags for longer than grain jars. It takes more time to heat up the center, because the center is further
away from the outer surface.

--------------------

OfflineLuminous7

#27222015 - 02/23/21 01:30 PM (3 days, 54 minutes ago)

Quote:

Baba Yaga said:
Quote:

Luminous7 said:
Quote:

Baba Yaga said:

No, it doesn't really matter what you're pasteurizing as long as what ever you are putting in there is homogeneous and has a small particle size, 
no big solid chunks in it. I do it that long because I usually pasteurize a large amount as a single mass at once. If I would just do
a small amount or would split it up into individual quart jars I would do less time of course. It all depends on the size, that is also why
you have to sterilize big grain bags for longer than grain jars. It takes more time to heat up the center, because the center is further
away from the outer surface.

i see, makes sense.

I guess you cant hurt it by doing a longer time to be safe.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Hot Plate, Peat, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation