Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon Agar, Microscope, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Any takers on my microscopy?! (Pics of home mss and grown agar spore print) [Re: nektar61] * 1
    #27214539 - 02/19/21 11:43 AM (7 days, 1 hour ago)

Quote:

nektar61 said:
Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
You might not need to focus stack if you can press down firmly on the cover slip to force them all into the same focal plane.

Really? Do you have a link to a spore pic taken like that?

I know you know your stuff, but at 1000 x my focal length is tiny, seems like about the thickness of one spore.

The depth of field is about the thickness of one spore at 1000x, so pressing them all into the same layer works pretty well.    You can control the depth of field of your microscopy by adjusting the stage condenser.  I just move it around until it looks best.

Here's one I took yesterday, Tubaria cf. furfuracea from Wildcat Canyon, California.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinenektar61S
Female User Gallery

Loc: Part of former British Em...
Re: Any takers on my microscopy?! (Pics of home mss and grown agar spore print) [Re: bodhisatta]
    #27219635 - 02/22/21 08:42 AM (4 days, 4 hours ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:

Bod and Alan, I was thinking of opening an agar plate that's been growing for a week, opening it in an SAB...To take a tiny sample with a flame-sterilized scalpel, closing the plate, taping it shut, and looking at the sample under the microscope.

Is that sacrificing that particular plate grow, or is there a good chance it would still be sterile? Have you done this, did the plate / Petri stay clean?

thank you

--------------------
Good shroom technique cleans up dirty hippies real fast: Before doing agar work, use mouthwash, brush teeth, shower, wear a mask, wear gloves, put on a clean shirt. Get classed up for your date with those sweet sweet spores.

ADVICE FOR TOTAL NOOBS HERE - will save you trouble, and help you not piss off very busy and talented people
---
Some pretty micro-photographs I took of cube spores (400x and 1000x)

Edited by nektar61 (02/22/21 08:49 AM)

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Any takers on my microscopy?! (Pics of home mss and grown agar spore print) [Re: nektar61]
    #27221251 - 02/23/21 12:57 AM (3 days, 12 hours ago)

Yes, if your technique is good you'll be able to get a little bit without contaminating it.  Make sure the tool you use is completely sterile and open and close it as quickly as possible.

Offlinenektar61S
Female User Gallery

Re: Any takers on my microscopy?! (Pics of home mss and grown agar spore print) [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #27222316 - 02/23/21 05:21 PM (2 days, 20 hours ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Yes, if your technique is good you'll be able to get a little bit without contaminating it.  Make sure the tool you use is completely sterile and open and close it as quickly as possible.

Thank you. will do.

Also I will mark that one as having been opened, and report back here (and on the "what it should / shouldn't look like" thread), that thread needs more microscope info.

Do you know if there's a microscope pic section on this site of what it should and shouldn't look like at various stages? I couldn't find one.

--------------------
Good shroom technique cleans up dirty hippies real fast: Before doing agar work, use mouthwash, brush teeth, shower, wear a mask, wear gloves, put on a clean shirt. Get classed up for your date with those sweet sweet spores.

ADVICE FOR TOTAL NOOBS HERE - will save you trouble, and help you not piss off very busy and talented people
---

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Any takers on my microscopy?! (Pics of home mss and grown agar spore print) [Re: nektar61] * 1
    #27225053 - 02/25/21 01:25 AM (1 day, 11 hours ago)

Quote:

nektar61 said:
Do you know if there's a microscope pic section on this site of what it should and shouldn't look like at various stages? I couldn't find one.

I don't know of a section like that.

Offlinenektar61S
Female User Gallery

Re: Any takers on my microscopy?! (Pics of home mss and grown agar spore print) [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #27225085 - 02/25/21 02:13 AM (1 day, 11 hours ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Quote:

nektar61 said:

I don't know of a section like that.

Let's make one.

--------------------

---

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
    #27225171 - 02/25/21 04:55 AM (1 day, 8 hours ago)

Great idea.

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon Agar, Microscope, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology