Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Shroomery University

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineIce9
Benzo Enthusiast
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: daterapeville,USA
Learning Organic cheistry. * 1
    #27079709 - 12/09/20 01:20 AM (2 months, 17 days ago)

Get this book as well as the student study guide and solutions manual.  Read each chapter and do every problem at the end of the chapter and you will have ave a firm grasp on O chem. Klein: An excellent tool for students looking for the best introduction to organic chemistry
The book includes many problems, not only at the end of each chapter (the traditional manner), but also wherever they might be relevant for the reader to understand the content. If you are really intro problems, you might also want to grab a copy of the student study guide and solutions manual.

This organic chemistry textbook includes many colored diagrams, which especially useful to identify different kinds of bonds, or to illustrate distribution of charges.

Overall, Klein Organic Chemistry is the best organic chemistry textbook for getting the foundations of organic chemistry right.

Next move on to advanced Organic chemistry by Carey and Sundberg.  From there you will have enough knowledge to specialize in a particular field of ocem, being organo metallics, total synthesis of natural product, etc.

--------------------
Regarding Benzodiaepines: "They are a recreational drug, and being one doesn't exclude it's potential as a medicine." Yukon Cornelius

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OnlineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Learning Organic cheistry. [Re: Ice9]
    #27081447 - 12/10/20 03:48 AM (2 months, 16 days ago)

Dude, add a link or three.

http://library.lol/main/A12E5492E0F21669150ABEBAF41EBEFF

Also, for anyone looking for organic chem advice, solve every problem in the book. Then go back, throw out your solutions, and solve every problem in the book again.

Then move on to the next books. Ask and ye shall receive. Not necessarily here, ask everywhere.

EDIT: Personally, I prefer Jane G Smith's version. But that's preference, same info, different chapter headings.

Edited by Kryptos (12/10/20 03:49 AM)

OfflineIce9
Benzo Enthusiast

Re: Learning Organic cheistry. [Re: Kryptos]
    #27083294 - 12/11/20 02:24 AM (2 months, 15 days ago)

Klein and carey and sundberg are desert island books for me, but yeah, solve all problems, multiple times and get the solutions manual so you can see where you went wrong.  Apologies for no links. 

That said, I think it's funny how chemists, particularly O. Chemists get so attached to certain text books.  I think it's the one's the teach to us in the manner we learn best that makes us so passionate about them.  I've asked other people from different fields, and they largely view text books as interchangeable with a few notable exceptions.

--------------------
Regarding Benzodiaepines: "They are a recreational drug, and being one doesn't exclude it's potential as a medicine." Yukon Cornelius

Offlinewolf8312
Pennywise
 User Gallery

#27083638 - 12/11/20 11:05 AM (2 months, 15 days ago)

I sampled a fair old few text books and I have Klein but I still think Organic Chemistry As A Second Language (1 and 2) was the best and most helpful book(s) I learned from, to the extent that I actually ended up buying them both full price! Really need to review some of the old topics but I have my plate full these days.

As a second language is not as detailed as Klein's books, which are probably better in a class situation, but much better I found as books for a person who is teaching himself. Very direct and to the essential points without as much supplementary information as Klein's which can be overwhelming if sifting through it all on ones own!

Go through those books and the questions in them, and you'll have a pretty good foundation to build upon and be able to understand things like LSD synthesis (providing you study it for a bit) at least in theory.

I kind of realized that without lab work (and I couldn't build one in my family home) though I was at a dead-end, coming to the conclusion my energy was best off elsewhere (maths) at least for now. Did love it though!

--------------------
"I'm every nightmare you ever had. I am your worst dreams come true. I am everything you ever were afraid of."

Pennywise the dancing clown

OfflineIce9
Benzo Enthusiast

Re: Learning Organic cheistry. [Re: wolf8312]
    #27083656 - 12/11/20 11:21 AM (2 months, 15 days ago)

I've read through both those, and O chem as a second language is written in an extremely understandable fashion. Very good books too.

Yeah, the real fun begins with the practical skills, can you make/run a flash column, what about keep a reaction a a specific cryogenic temp through a mix of LN2/solvent of dry ice solvent baths.  How do you handle a reaction that catalytically breaks down from oxygen, what to do when you make a run-away exothermic reaction etc. etc. lol.  It's a lot a fun but many a night or 2 day period where I had reaction running at cryogenic temps and I had stay awake for 36-48 hour to monitor the temp and replenish the dry ice as needed.

--------------------

Edited by Ice9 (12/11/20 11:26 AM)

OfflineBig_Dub
confused
Male

Loc: USA Flag
    #27090686 - 12/15/20 04:53 PM (2 months, 10 days ago)

dont forget to card everything up using ANKI!!!!!!

--------------------
Don't forget to take prints! :smile:

OfflineStacyBorn
Stranger
Re: Learning Organic cheistry. [Re: Big_Dub]
    #27107487 - 12/25/20 04:09 PM (2 months, 22 hours ago)

At the institute, chemistry was my favorite subject, especially laboratory work. It was so exciting. By the way, it was the textbook "Organic chemistry as a second language" that helped me understand this subject and love it. Chemistry homework was fun for me, unlike essay writing, which had to be done very often. I always ordered them on the PapersOwl review which you can look on https://papersowl.com/what-is-papersowl It was the right decision, because for my future profession I need to study chemistry perfectly and writing an essay is unlikely to be useful to me in the future.

Edited by StacyBorn (12/27/20 09:57 PM)

OfflineIce9
Benzo Enthusiast

Re: Learning Organic cheistry. [Re: StacyBorn]
    #27107890 - 12/25/20 10:48 PM (2 months, 16 hours ago)

I didn't have anki when I when to school, checked it out, its awesome.

--------------------

OfflineBig_Dub
confused
Male

#27109754 - 12/26/20 10:59 PM (1 month, 30 days ago)

Anki is the best. Spend some time reading about the add ons and best ways to enhance it. It is seriously a game changer

--------------------

OfflineIce9
Benzo Enthusiast

Re: Learning Organic cheistry. [Re: Big_Dub]
    #27119536 - 01/01/21 02:56 AM (1 month, 25 days ago)

As a chemist, I would personally endorse anki as a great learning tool.  Chemistry, at least initially, is about memorizing a whole lot of information most people were not subjected to in high school.  As such, Anki does a great job helping with the brute force memorization. It is only in more advanced classes that a true understanding of the concepts are needed, and this provided by the memorized base of knowledge.  It's like a language, this parts are really about memorizing grammar and syntax, but later levels is about increasing vocabulary. Im gonna check out more of Anki and see if I feel anything can be improved upon and other alternatives.
Thanks for this great choice in a phone app for chemistry.

--------------------

OfflineBig_Dub
confused
Male

#27122872 - 01/02/21 11:19 PM (1 month, 23 days ago)

Yes. Understanding is key. But as long as you can boil some aspect of that "understanding" to a question, then you can make an Anki card for it!! Ask for help if you need it with Anki!!

--------------------

Offlinewolf8312
Pennywise
 User Gallery

#27123720 - 01/03/21 01:44 PM (1 month, 23 days ago)

Quote:

Ice9 said:
As a chemist, I would personally endorse anki as a great learning tool.  Chemistry, at least initially, is about memorizing a whole lot of information most people were not subjected to in high school.  As such, Anki does a great job helping with the brute force memorization. It is only in more advanced classes that a true understanding of the concepts are needed, and this provided by the memorized base of knowledge.  It's like a language, this parts are really about memorizing grammar and syntax, but later levels is about increasing vocabulary. Im gonna check out more of Anki and see if I feel anything can be improved upon and other alternatives.
Thanks for this great choice in a phone app for chemistry.

It's definitely a language and I think that's why so many students will struggle with it. Not because it's the highly difficult topic it is often made out to be but because students go into it without realizing that just like a language it will only really begin to sink in with time and so they can't understand why after a few months of hard work they are still not getting it!

Even with all the hard work in the world one will not just magically become fluent (unless one has the aptitude for it) in a language over night and I should know, as not only did I study Ochem (well self taught) but also Mandarin Chinese.

Even after four years of university and alot of very hard work I was still not Fluent in Chinese (though alot of my time was spent reading/writing) till many years later and even now I am still not at the level of a national speaker. It takes time for those neural connections and pathways to be built up from rickety mud-tracks into high-speed superhighways.

Anyone planning to learn Ochem at uni should probably start learning before they get there to allow all the information time to sink in. If you study a topic like Ochem while not having fluency in it's vocabulary (checking words as you try to process what is being said) it'll be like trying to drive a car around a busy town (controlling clutch/brake/accelerate simultaneously) with very little experience.

--------------------
"I'm every nightmare you ever had. I am your worst dreams come true. I am everything you ever were afraid of."

Pennywise the dancing clown

OfflineIce9
Benzo Enthusiast

#27124161 - 01/03/21 05:06 PM (1 month, 22 days ago)

Yeah, most "educated" professions tend to use a particular lingo as a barrier to entry by the unwashed masses (that's way I see it, I know we may need specific new terms for completely new phenomena, but not everything in the field has to have its own code word)

I also agree on the start early.  I have often thought many people find chemistry difficult because for many, college is the first they hear off it. Compare this biology, which you start learning in grade school and further in high school.  This means you've already been exposed to many of the central tenets and ideas of biology, vastly lowering the ;earning curve.  Meanwhile, unless required, or you decide to take it yourself, you wont have had but the briefest runs in chemistry in anything below college.

--------------------

OfflineBig_Dub
confused
Male

#27126253 - 01/04/21 04:04 PM (1 month, 21 days ago)

yes start early. and start anki right away.

I cant even begin to think about how many hours i spent "studying". So much time wasted.
Study now, then anki later is the wrong move. Anki while you study is the way imo

--------------------

OfflineOGshroomHead
Dopefiend
Male

Loc: Terrapin Station
    #27203899 - 02/13/21 05:23 PM (12 days, 21 hours ago)

Quote:

wolf8312 said:
I sampled a fair old few text books and I have Klein but I still think Organic Chemistry As A Second Language (1 and 2) was the best and most helpful book(s) I learned from, to the extent that I actually ended up buying them both full price! Really need to review some of the old topics but I have my plate full these days.

As a second language is not as detailed as Klein's books, which are probably better in a class situation, but much better I found as books for a person who is teaching himself. Very direct and to the essential points without as much supplementary information as Klein's which can be overwhelming if sifting through it all on ones own!

Go through those books and the questions in them, and you'll have a pretty good foundation to build upon and be able to understand things like LSD synthesis (providing you study it for a bit) at least in theory.

I kind of realized that without lab work (and I couldn't build one in my family home) though I was at a dead-end, coming to the conclusion my energy was best off elsewhere (maths) at least for now. Did love it though!

I will have to get these books I really want to manufacturer LSD. I been looking at undeveloped land and found 4 acres for $8000. Log cabin kits are pretty inexpensive im just not sure I can get electricity in the middle of nowhere. Plus I need a water source I want to grow rye to infect with ergot. Its not even close to a town so no cops will bother me plus im not selling LSD I want to give it away for free. Spread the love.

I would be like a good version of the unabomber liveing all alone and isolated. Its worth it though.

--------------------
How he could be a good user of LSD," I asked, "And know about the spiritual dimension - all that sort of thing - and still be a crook? I don't understand."
"Then it's time you did. Psychedelic drugs don't change you - they don't change you character - unless you want to be changed. They enable change; they can't impose it...
Alexander Shulgin, Pihkal: A Chemical Love Story

OfflineKent E Ward
Stranger
Re: Learning Organic cheistry. [Re: OGshroomHead]
    #27220658 - 02/22/21 06:44 PM (3 days, 20 hours ago)

Organic chemistry was my favorite subject at school.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Rye Grain

General Interest >> Shroomery University

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman
652 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Print Topic ]
Search this thread:
MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2021 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.054 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 15 queries.