Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineLuminous7

Building a pasturizing Unit ( pics included)
    #27220240 - 02/22/21 12:37 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

so i wana build  a small pasturizer unit for doing casing layers for pe varieties.

Im thinking to put a sous vide in a small metal pot ( maybe 3.5L pot with metal lid)

As well as a submersible pump in the bottom of the pot to move around the heat in the water.

Would this be a good option? I was pasturizing on the stove in a pot of water and bag of jiffy but was getting contams sometimes, and i dont really want to let the casing sit for a week to recolonize beneficial microbes.

So i think the sous vide option is the best for precise temp control.

Im sure sous vide units have temp controls built in but i can also hook it to an ink bird.

What do yall think?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLuminous7

Re: Building a pasturizing Unit ( pics included) [Re: Luminous7]
    #27220250 - 02/22/21 12:42 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

kinda copying this but im unsure about the water pump situation . If my pump will circulate enopugh water for even heat distribution.

Also the pics are removed from this thread lol

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/25370870/fpart/2/vc/1#25370870

--------------------

OfflineLuminous7

#27220301 - 02/22/21 01:07 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

bump? lol

--------------------

InvisibleBaba Yaga
Fomo Kills The Cat

Loc: Try 'n' Error Boot Camp
Trusted Cultivator
    #27220858 - 02/22/21 06:39 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Those sous vide immersion (stick type) cookers do circulate the water already, otherwise they wouldn't do their job properly. At least the ones I saw did.

I use a bench top unit I got for cheap at a thrift store but if I would use an immersion unit I would build me a pasteurizing bath out of a
cooler (coleman or what ever brand) because it's insulated and does keep the temperature better. It will take longer to get the core temp up as
you are keeping the water at pasteurization temp only.

OfflineLuminous7

Re: Building a pasturizing Unit ( pics included) [Re: Baba Yaga]
    #27220888 - 02/22/21 06:53 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Baba Yaga said:
Those sous vide immersion (stick type) cookers do circulate the water already, otherwise they wouldn't do their job properly. At least the ones I saw did.

I use a bench top unit I got for cheap at a thrift store but if I would use an immersion unit I would build me a pasteurizing bath out of a
cooler (coleman or what ever brand) because it's insulated and does keep the temperature better. It will take longer to get the core temp up as
you are keeping the water at pasteurization temp only.

Oh cool, i didnt even realise there were bench top units.

How long does yours take roughly to get to core temp?

Also , do you think The little pump I have is needed ? would it be beneficial either way?

--------------------

OfflineGrimsweeper
don't fear the sweeper
 User Gallery

Loc: broom closet
Trusted Cultivator
    #27220926 - 02/22/21 07:08 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

As said above a sous vide does everything you're trying to do by itself. I don't use one anymore since I haven't used a casing in a long time but probably took an hour to get to core temp. Slow cooker for substrates.

--------------------
When you clean a vacuum cleaner you are a vacuum cleaner
Build yourself a Flow Hood in these 99 simple steps

InvisibleBaba Yaga
Fomo Kills The Cat

Trusted Cultivator
    #27221086 - 02/22/21 08:57 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

My cooker is basically a slow cooker that has a sous vide function so I can set temp and time.

Never measured how long it takes to reach core temp. It will also depend on the volume you are pasteurizing. I do like 6 hrs minimum but I always
prep the maximum amount I can fit in there which is 3.5 quart in a single container.

Offlinepureshrooming
feels like a stranger
 User Gallery

#27221137 - 02/22/21 09:37 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I just built one of these to replace my sous vide. Used a cooler I already had but this parts will carry over to whatever you want to put them in.

OfflineLuminous7

#27221384 - 02/23/21 12:56 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Baba Yaga said:
My cooker is basically a slow cooker that has a sous vide function so I can set temp and time.

Never measured how long it takes to reach core temp. It will also depend on the volume you are pasteurizing. I do like 6 hrs minimum but I always
prep the maximum amount I can fit in there which is 3.5 quart in a single container.

6 hours at 140-165F ? wow thats longer than I thought was needed.

Would that long of time be needed for Jiffy mix casing? ( peat most, coir, lime ) Or is the 6 hours more for Manure type subs?

--------------------

OfflineLuminous7

Re: Building a pasturizing Unit ( pics included) [Re: pureshrooming]
    #27221394 - 02/23/21 01:03 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

pureshrooming said:
I just built one of these to replace my sous vide. Used a cooler I already had but this parts will carry over to whatever you want to put them in.

Nice little rig!

I was lookin at those bucket heaters they look cool.

Is there benefits from using the bucket heater over the sous Vide?

Those bucket heaters look like they get fucking cookin , are they able to be temp set at all or it relies purely on the ink bird.

Considering the precise temp control with sous vide and its built in " heat dispersing function " it seems like an ideal choice over the bucket heater no?
:shrug:

ps thanks for the feed back guys, I think ill make a sweet litte cooler rig aswell :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleBaba Yaga
Fomo Kills The Cat

Trusted Cultivator
    #27221530 - 02/23/21 04:43 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Luminous7 said:
Quote:

Baba Yaga said:

Would that long of time be needed for Jiffy mix casing? ( peat most, coir, lime ) Or is the 6 hours more for Manure type subs?

No, it doesn't really matter what you're pasteurizing as long as what ever you are putting in there is homogeneous and has a small particle size, 
no big solid chunks in it. I do it that long because I usually pasteurize a large amount as a single mass at once. If I would just do
a small amount or would split it up into individual quart jars I would do less time of course. It all depends on the size, that is also why
you have to sterilize big grain bags for longer than grain jars. It takes more time to heat up the center, because the center is further
away from the outer surface.

OfflineLuminous7

#27222015 - 02/23/21 11:30 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Baba Yaga said:
Quote:

Luminous7 said:
Quote:

Baba Yaga said:

No, it doesn't really matter what you're pasteurizing as long as what ever you are putting in there is homogeneous and has a small particle size, 
no big solid chunks in it. I do it that long because I usually pasteurize a large amount as a single mass at once. If I would just do
a small amount or would split it up into individual quart jars I would do less time of course. It all depends on the size, that is also why
you have to sterilize big grain bags for longer than grain jars. It takes more time to heat up the center, because the center is further
away from the outer surface.

i see, makes sense.

I guess you cant hurt it by doing a longer time to be safe.

--------------------

OfflineLuminous7

#27227763 - 02/26/21 02:48 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

so i did a stove top pasturization for now with a plastic bag tied tight with string, and a probe in the center. It was jiffy mix.

Stayed above 140F and below 165F for about 3 hours.

Im guna let the bag sit for 5-7 days as well to re colonise any benficial microbes that may have been partially sterilized.

--------------------

InvisibleBaba Yaga
Fomo Kills The Cat

Trusted Cultivator
    #27227791 - 02/26/21 03:04 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Sounds like you've nailed it.

Offlinekassel88
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27227968 - 02/26/21 05:11 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

i never had pasturized my cocos dry pressed block and vermiculit... i use a clean sterilisated box for mixing  and cold water...

--------------------

Edited by kassel88 (02/26/21 05:12 PM)

OfflineLuminous7

Re: Building a pasturizing Unit ( pics included) [Re: kassel88]
    #27231698 - 03/01/21 08:22 AM (3 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Baba Yaga said:
Sounds like you've nailed it.

fingers crossed. Is there a specific time to wait for recolonising of beneficials? I might use it after just 4 days of sitting .

Quote:

kassel88 said:
i never had pasturized my cocos dry pressed block and vermiculit... i use a clean sterilisated box for mixing  and cold water...

True, no need to pasturize coir or verm subs.

--------------------

InvisibleBaba Yaga
Fomo Kills The Cat

Trusted Cultivator
    #27231902 - 03/01/21 11:05 AM (3 years, 28 days ago)

I like to let it sit anywhere between 2 and 5 days but people using it just after it has cooled down with no problem. It's bacteria, they grow fast and exponentially.

Offlineverum subsequentis
seeker of truth
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27254904 - 03/15/21 11:11 PM (3 years, 14 days ago)

I used to Pasteurize shitloads of peat casing in a fridge I rigged up to be an auto unit. Worked like a charm and I never let it sit specifically to let beneficial bacteria grow. Figured it'd happen while the myc grew and went wonderfully.

Offlinepureshrooming
feels like a stranger
 User Gallery

#27254926 - 03/15/21 11:46 PM (3 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Luminous7 said:
Quote:

pureshrooming said:

Nice little rig!

Those bucket heaters look like they get fucking cookin , are they able to be temp set at all or it relies purely on the ink bird.

Considering the precise temp control with sous vide and its built in " heat dispersing function " it seems like an ideal choice over the bucket heater no?

ps thanks for the feed back guys, I think ill make a sweet litte cooler rig aswell :smile:

The bucket heater has no temp control, it will just heat to it's peak. I set the ink bird to turn on at 153 and turn off at 155. The sous vide is great but this setup will heat a much larger amount of water. I use little aquarium fans to keep the water moving around inside.

OfflineLuminous7

Re: Building a pasturizing Unit ( pics included) [Re: pureshrooming]
    #27257187 - 03/17/21 10:53 AM (3 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

verum subsequentis said:
I used to Pasteurize shitloads of peat casing in a fridge I rigged up to be an auto unit. Worked like a charm and I never let it sit specifically to let beneficial bacteria grow. Figured it'd happen while the myc grew and went wonderfully.

Good to know!
The waiting periods of letting it sit are killing me.

Quote:

pureshrooming said:
Quote:

Luminous7 said:
Quote:

pureshrooming said:

Nice little rig!

The bucket heater has no temp control, it will just heat to it's peak. I set the ink bird to turn on at 153 and turn off at 155. The sous vide is great but this setup will heat a much larger amount of water. I use little aquarium fans to keep the water moving around inside.

Thats awesome, Im still undecided on the sous vide or bucket heater. hmmmm....

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates