Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinekidcharlemagne
Stranger
 User Gallery
I think my rye grain bags might be drying out. Humidifier?
    #27219984 - 02/22/21 09:57 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I bought 6 1lb rye grain bags with a 5 micron patch from a respected site sponsor.  I shook the bags at 30% (it took about 3 weeks to get there) then it got to 90% in about a week.  However the top layer wasn't colonizing.  I did a little searching and found this was usually the result of a dry bag.  The air is very dry in my house and it's been a month.  I just shook the bag 2 days ago (at 90%) again to try and get those top grains mixed in,  but I'm wondering if I should at least put on a humidifier in the room.  Should I do that also when I spawn to bulk (shoeboxes) given how dry it is in my house?  Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLand TroutM
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: I think my rye grain bags might be drying out. Humidifier? [Re: kidcharlemagne]
    #27220023 - 02/22/21 10:19 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I know unicorn only recommends the .2 micron bags for grain spawn.  I learned that the hard way after ordering a case of the .5 micron bags.  So I could imaging you might be having some trouble.  Depends on how dry your air is, you may be able to just mist.

Offlinekidcharlemagne
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: I think my rye grain bags might be drying out. Humidifier? [Re: Land Trout]
    #27221504 - 02/23/21 03:58 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I'm concerned because my spawn hasn't recovered will and only see new growth in wet patches in corners of bag.  The rest of bag appears dry.  Will this dry mycelia die off soon if it doesn't get water?  Should I dunk the grains and spawn to bulk at 90% colonization to save them?  Thanks.

Offlinekidcharlemagne
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27221543 - 02/23/21 04:58 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Land Trout said:
I know unicorn only recommends the .2 micron bags for grain spawn.  I learned that the hard way after ordering a case of the .5 micron bags.  So I could imaging you might be having some trouble.  Depends on how dry your air is, you may be able to just mist.

.5 micron?! These are 5 Micron and the dude says they exclude water vapor exchange. Wtf?

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I think my rye grain bags might be drying out. Humidifier? [Re: kidcharlemagne]
    #27221567 - 02/23/21 05:16 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

If you inoculated with a spore syringe that's your problem

Offlinekidcharlemagne
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: I think my rye grain bags might be drying out. Humidifier? [Re: bodhisatta]
    #27221588 - 02/23/21 05:27 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:

Why is that a problem with dryness? There's no sign of bacterial infection.  It was colonizing great but now I see few signs of any humidity.  In one corner where I do see some humidity, there is still growth.  The company claims "The 5 micron filter patch allows for proper gas exchange but exclude water vapor so your spawn does not dehydrate." which, as far as I can tell, simply isn't true.  In any case, what should I do at this point, spawn these to bulk now (perhaps with a quick soak) or wait a few days and see if stalled growth is just from the recent shake taking a little longer to recover?  The grains we're about 90% colonized. I've since moved to agar but I'd like to salvage this grow.  Thanks for your help.

OfflineLand TroutM
Stranger

#27221798 - 02/23/21 08:11 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

If I could go Back to when I started out I wish I would have got a couple meat chickens or ducks to feed all the grain I had to throw out, that’s the best way to salvage some of that stuff.  Spores to a bag are always a bad idea.  It’s just too much time for germination and colonization for all that grain.  Pictures would be good, but I’d imagine this one is a fail.

Offlinekidcharlemagne
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27221840 - 02/23/21 08:54 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Land Trout said:
If I could go Back to when I started out I wish I would have got a couple meat chickens or ducks to feed all the grain I had to throw out, that’s the best way to salvage some of that stuff.  Spores to a bag are always a bad idea.  It’s just too much time for germination and colonization for all that grain.  Pictures would be good, but I’d imagine this one is a fail.

I realize now that when I moved bags from very dry room, I moved them from 75 to 65 degrees so they could just be taking a while to recover I suppose - I cranked up the heat.  Do you think I should wait or just spawn now?

OfflineLand TroutM
Stranger

#27221915 - 02/23/21 09:50 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I’d never recommend spawning uncolonized grain, that’s free real estate for mold.
Also they will colonize fine at 60°, I’ve even left them alone well below 60 and they still grow, just slower.  I’d just wait for now, you said you shook two days ago so wait.  Really a month for a spawn bag from spores is pretty fast.
I really try to avoid using humidifiers and heaters, other than whatever heat there is in the room, I don’t think that would make that big of a difference n your bags.  Share a pic, I know you might not see anything but I imagine there’s a pretty good bloom of bacteria in there, almost always when going spores to grain. 
Just wait

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #27222001 - 02/23/21 11:09 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

kidcharlemagne said:
Quote:

bodhisatta said:

Why is that a problem with dryness? There's no sign of bacterial infection.  It was colonizing great but now I see few signs of any humidity.  In one corner where I do see some humidity, there is still growth.  The company claims "The 5 micron filter patch allows for proper gas exchange but exclude water vapor so your spawn does not dehydrate." which, as far as I can tell, simply isn't true.  In any case, what should I do at this point, spawn these to bulk now (perhaps with a quick soak) or wait a few days and see if stalled growth is just from the recent shake taking a little longer to recover?  The grains we're about 90% colonized. I've since moved to agar but I'd like to salvage this grow.  Thanks for your help.

Takes too long to start growing and then colonize. Also spore syringes are not axenic. Bags should be inoculated with better faster inoculum

Offlinekidcharlemagne
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: I think my rye grain bags might be drying out. Humidifier? [Re: bodhisatta]
    #27224011 - 02/24/21 01:16 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Here's a photo.  I shook it 3 days ago and it doesn't appear to be re-colonizing.  I had shaken it a week earlier at 30% and it colonized very fast (except for top layer). There are no wetspots, except there is now some condensation near the bottom because I put a heating pad under a bunch of towels to get a 75 degree temp to speed colonization (assuming it wasn't dried and dead) because my room is pretty cold.  Might it just be taking longer to recover since it was disturbed a week prior?  Thanks for input.

OfflineLand TroutM
Stranger

#27224038 - 02/24/21 01:28 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I think that heating pad might be your smoking gun.  I’d rather have it colonize slowly at 40° than use a heating pad.  Good luck man, get rid of that heating pad and hope for the best.

Offlinekidcharlemagne
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27224206 - 02/24/21 02:59 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Land Trout said:
I think that heating pad might be your smoking gun.  I’d rather have it colonize slowly at 40° than use a heating pad.  Good luck man, get rid of that heating pad and hope for the best.

The heating pad is a new edition as of today so the problem started earlier (if it is a problem).  Is that common for a grain bag to dry out in 30 days in a dry room?  It was made by a respected sponsor but I guess a 5 micron patch isn't ideal.  Nevertheless, in all my reading here, I hadn't heard of a drying out issue - if anything I read of Bod's belief in making sure the grain is dry (though I know he means outside).  Is this issue that the mycelium doesn't have enough water or the grain becomes too dry and the mycelium doesn't see it as viable food?

OfflineLand TroutM
Stranger

#27224473 - 02/24/21 05:27 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Ah I see, still I wouldn’t ever use a heating pad again, when I started I used one for about two days and my jars started to dry out, you want even heat.  Well, I know unicorn says T filters for spawn, and the a and b filters are for non supplemented substrates sawdust straw etc, but they explained that to me as bacteria are smaller than .5 micron.  I’d have a hard time thinking you would lose that much vapor through the filter, but I suppose it’s possible.  Really  think what you need to do is just put that bag on a shelf and not look at it for a week and if it’s not 100% then don’t even touch it or look at it for another week.  Cubensis doesn’t work on a schedual, especially if you haven’t isolated a culture.  I just had a plate that took over a month to germinate, by the book It should have taken 7 days, but that’s just how it goes.  I’ve had quarts take a month to colonize from agar, yeah stuff still goes through my head like what going wrong, but as long as it’s clean they seem to always pull through.  Just stop fucking with it and see what happens, you’ve already done what you could.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags