Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineStudy The CNS
Anecdotal Subtext

Inventing THE Most Calorie-Dense Food Known To Humans
    #27214408 - 02/19/21 10:35 AM (16 days, 16 hours ago)

Over the last five mass extinction events on Earth we have lost a lot of lifeforms and biodiversity. We almost certainly have lost some (or many) calorie-dense foods that bodybuilders, athletes, and the fitness industry could benefit from. So here's a question: If you had to invent THE MOST calorie-rich food to build lean muscle mass (high as in 9000 calories in one meal), what technologies and raw materials would you recommend exploring? Also, if you do suggest meat-based raw materials, please also include Vegan and Vegetarian raw materials.

--------------------
Stephen King's The Stand

Episode 1 ---Dec 17, 2020

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinegone-pear-shaped
Stranger
Re: Inventing THE Most Calorie-Dense Food Known To Humans [Re: Study The CNS]
    #27214459 - 02/19/21 11:02 AM (16 days, 15 hours ago)

Calorically, this seems simpler than you're making it out to be. Fats have 9 calories per gram. Protein and carbs have 4 calories per gram. One possible highest calorie meal for a body builder would be protein isolate suspended in oil. Maybe add a portion of dense carbs, like dense dry crackers.

Biologically and culinarily, it gets more interesting. For instance, I'm not sure we can drink a meal of oil without feeling ill. I know even a little bit of coconut oil on an empty stomach is hell on my digestive system. I'll let someone else try to answer this, now that I've given the most nutritionally basic obvious answer.

OfflineWildFungalGrowth
Stranger
Re: Inventing THE Most Calorie-Dense Food Known To Humans [Re: Study The CNS]
    #27214480 - 02/19/21 11:09 AM (16 days, 15 hours ago)

When I used to go to the gym I used peanut butter to reach my calorie intake goals. A whopping 580 kcal per 100 grams of peanut butter and it isn't filling at all and very easy to add to shakes to bump up the calorie value.

It's the "I can't gain weight" peoples' worst enemy :biggrin:.

There also are meal replacement bars which are very calorie dense, not sure what they are made of but you can check out the ingredients list. I know that fat is very calorie dense at 900 kcal per 100g, so anything very fatty should also be calorie dense.

OfflineVP123
Strange
Male

Loc: Midwest
Re: Inventing THE Most Calorie-Dense Food Known To Humans [Re: gone-pear-shaped]
    #27214493 - 02/19/21 11:18 AM (16 days, 15 hours ago)

As gone-pear-shapped pointed out, the most energy dense foods are oils/fats. But those will not help you build muscle. The most (not the only ones) important building blocks to make muscle are aminoacids (which come from digestion of proteins). They help repair the damage you do to your body when you exercise. Increasing the intake of these will not make you increase your muscle mass if you don't beat your ass in the gym. In fact, even if you work out like a beast but you intake more calories than you need, you will get fat, not lean muscle.

And I don't think we have lost many calorie dense foods. At the molecular level, the basic biochemistry of life has been conserved in most life forms. What we took advantage of was the life forms that require locomotion (muscle fibers that contain high levels of motor proteins such as myosin and actin), or storage of these nutrients in seeds, which are required for plants to grow during the period of time they are not able to do photosynthesis.

9000 calories in a day would require you to go well beyond what most Olympic athletes need in one day.

OfflineWildFungalGrowth
Stranger
Re: Inventing THE Most Calorie-Dense Food Known To Humans [Re: gone-pear-shaped]
    #27214526 - 02/19/21 11:36 AM (16 days, 15 hours ago)

Quote:

VP123 said:
As gone-pear-shapped pointed out, the most energy dense foods are oils/fats. But those will not help you build muscle. The most (not the only ones) important building blocks to make muscle are aminoacids (which come from digestion of proteins). They help repair the damage you do to your body when you exercise. Increasing the intake of these will not make you increase your muscle mass if you don't beat your ass in the gym. In fact, even if you work out like a beast but you intake more calories than you need, you will get fat, not lean muscle.

This is true, you need both enough energy and enough building blocks (macro and micro nutrients) to build muscle. If you don't eat enough but have the proper amount of protein, your body will still refuse to build muscle and use protein for energy instead. People that consider themselves hard-gainers are just not eating enough energy to allow their body to use the proteins for building muscle, always track calories to be sure and you will gain muscle if you hit your protein and calorie goals.

Quote:

gone-pear-shaped said:
Biologically and culinarily, it gets more interesting. For instance, I'm not sure we can drink a meal of oil without feeling ill. I know even a little bit of coconut oil on an empty stomach is hell on my digestive system. I'll let someone else try to answer this, now that I've given the most nutritionally basic obvious answer.

I can eat very fatty meats but I'd refuse straight up oil or fat on its own.

Offlinegone-pear-shaped
Stranger
Re: Inventing THE Most Calorie-Dense Food Known To Humans [Re: WildFungalGrowth]
    #27214717 - 02/19/21 01:19 PM (16 days, 13 hours ago)

Quote:

WildFungalGrowth said:
I can eat very fatty meats but I'd refuse straight up oil or fat on its own.

I've taste tested olive oils a couple times, and that involves slurping/drinking oil from a glass, but it was a pretty small quantity. I bet you could work up to it. :grin:

InvisibleLeafRaker
nomad
 User Gallery

#27215291 - 02/19/21 07:21 PM (16 days, 7 hours ago)

Going to be 'That Guy':
Calories aren't really what muscle building or nutrition in general are about. Yes, calories (energy) are clearly physical properties of organic matter. But nutrition and muscle building are about *biological* processes not simple physics-based models of them.

But to answer your technology/engineering question about creating foods. Do something that copies the big animal foods:
-eggs
-cheese
-organ meat
-fatty skeletal meat

Edited by LeafRaker (02/19/21 08:16 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing