Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | Next > | Last >
OfflineTulpa556
Stranger

Re: Think this is trich or some sort of Contam? [Re: Kizzle]
    #27213888 - 02/18/21 10:24 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

This is for sure contaminated, but I'm curious with what. Haven't seen pictures like it before.

Also another that is probably contammed, but I'm letting grow out a bit more first. My guess is bacteria? The yellow around the R is metabolite.

Edited by Tulpa556 (02/18/21 10:27 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShaneg9191
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Tulpa556]
    #27214209 - 02/19/21 06:04 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Hello this is my first time doing this was just wondering if anyone could tell me if there looks like any contaminationhttp://files.shroomery.org/files/21-007/373960360-20210219_065604.jpg

OfflineMycoBrainz
Mycotic
Male User Gallery

Loc: West Coast
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Shaneg9191]
    #27214261 - 02/19/21 06:48 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Tried to cut it out, failure. Tossing tub.

--------------------
:stoned:

PFC x Creeper

Lets Get Stoned

OfflineCapMeh
RX Jazzist
 User Gallery

Loc: The Holy Mountain
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: MycoBrainz]
    #27215471 - 02/19/21 07:04 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Tulpa556 said:
This is for sure contaminated, but I'm curious with what. Haven't seen pictures like it before.

Also another that is probably contammed, but I'm letting grow out a bit more first. My guess is bacteria? The yellow around the R is metabolite.

Are you referring to the granulation on the bottom? Whats your recipe?

Quote:

Shaneg9191 said:
Hello this is my first time doing this was just wondering if anyone could tell me if there looks like any contaminationhttp://files.shroomery.org/files/21-007/373960360-20210219_065604.jpg

Those two dark circles look very suspect to me. I'd say yes that tub is contaminated. You're pinning so keep an eye on it, maybe try to get the first flush from it.. if you see mold and it starts to sporulate I'd suggest removing it from your grow/work area immediately. Make an effort to keep mold spores away from your area:super:

Quote:

MycoBrainz said:

Man.. the thought of cutting trich out of a tub has always just blown my mind. I've salted patches (pour salt slowly and carefully on the patch, cover with paper towel) or just toss.

--------------------

InvisiblezMan
zMan

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: MycoBrainz]
    #27215512 - 02/19/21 07:20 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

MycoBrainz said:

If it starts in 1 corner a little bit and you cut it in half, you MIGHT have a shot at having something but if you get trich that early, it was because of the spawn and it wasn't just 1 grain that started it so you're SOL once it starts.

--------------------
Information for everyone: http://www.mushroomvideos.com
Are your grains or spawn clean? CLICK THIS CHECKLIST

OfflineSpacemanbob
Stranger
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: zMan]
    #27215839 - 02/19/21 10:58 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I think I did it. Still early to say but I pulled the bottom 1/3 of the grain bag off. Was solid myc. at the bottom so I figured rather resilient. Several inches down from even the slightest visual sign of contam.
Was very careful, moved very slowly, and sanitized the shit out of my surroundings before and after.
Spawned to a shoebox Wednesday. No sign of contam yet but pretty rapid mycelial growth.

Gonna keep y’all updated. I expect probable failure in the end but felt the experiment was worth it.
I’m learning so why not. & I have plenty of tubs.

OfflineTulpa556
Stranger

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: CapMeh]
    #27215882 - 02/19/21 11:52 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

CapMeh said:
Quote:

Tulpa556 said:

Are you referring to the granulation on the bottom? Whats your recipe?

The top one is gray with white dots that used to be mycelium and looks slimy in the middle. The bottom one has a spot at the top that isn't colonizing and there's metabolites at the border of where it is.

OfflineGarden Gnome
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Tulpa556]
    #27217071 - 02/20/21 04:25 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Hi all,
Complete noob here..
1st transfer 1 week from ms.
Myc or mould??
https://files.shroomery.org/files/21-007/386346466-20210221_093148.jpg

InvisiblezMan
zMan

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Garden Gnome]
    #27217185 - 02/20/21 05:53 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Looks like myc

--------------------
Information for everyone: http://www.mushroomvideos.com
Are your grains or spawn clean? CLICK THIS CHECKLIST

OfflineGarden Gnome
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: zMan]
    #27217305 - 02/20/21 07:22 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Cheers Zman🤙

OfflineShaneg9191
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: CapMeh]
    #27217821 - 02/21/21 05:11 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks I'll keep an eye on it and post pic later if it gets worse

Offlinelvviivvl
Nomad

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Kizzle]
    #27218150 - 02/21/21 09:48 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Has anyone got any thoughts on this? It was on a single grain which I took out with a sterile knife. Then I found another one somewhere else about three days later, again just a single grain. No mushrooms pinning nearby.

Looks like a spikey mould.

OfflineShamanicRevival
Stranger

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: lvviivvl]
    #27218718 - 02/21/21 03:48 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I will do my best to keep this short and sweet.

Without much hope, I inoculated a rye jar with a 6 year old MS syringe (left in the dark, but unrefrigerated). Miraculously, 18 days later, a single grain is beginning to colonize. I can not see this tiny spot colonizing the entire jar before dormant contaminates take hold. I am starting to dip my toe into agar work as well. So my question is this:

Would it be a good experiment to (in a SAB of course, using sterilized tweezers) drop the grain onto agar to salvage mycelium? Is it worth the trouble? Would you recommend leaving the jar alone, allowing it to run its course? I realize now I should've started on agar in the first place, which is what I plan on doing in the future. However I've had a lot of success with MS -> grain in the past, and was close to tossing the syringe anyway.

On a side note I do have plenty of new, viable MS syringes to work with. I plan to try cloning and taking prints for the first time as well as working with agar.

This forum archive is invaluable. I could probably answer my own question from all the research I've done, but I'm shocked some of the spores germinated in the first place. Is it possible, after 18 days, what I'm seeing is actually a fuzzy white contaminate? What would ya'll do?

InvisibleSmartattack
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Loc: A thought
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: ShamanicRevival]
    #27218755 - 02/21/21 04:18 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I got one of my first and best cultures doing exactly that.:thumbup:

--------------------
* Smarts videos :teacher:
* :thumbup: Planet of the APES:thumbup:

I'm a fungal white supremacist.

OfflineRas_Irie
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Baltics
Re: Think this is trich or some sort of Contam? [Re: Smartattack]
    #27220027 - 02/22/21 10:22 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

There ar some grain I dont like, can it be bacteria? It looks little yealow to me. It been 16 days from inoculation with agar. Shaked once. Maby my grains to drie?

OfflineSisterPlanet
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Ras_Irie]
    #27220215 - 02/22/21 12:19 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Hey, I am hoping someone can confirm or deny contamination in this jar.  It is Panaeolus Cambodginiensis Sandose on popcorn/coffee.

Here's what happened so far:
day  0: inoculated Uncle Ben's Rice with spore syringe.
day 17: shake and break colonized rice.
day 33: perform Grain-To-Grain transfer (Rice to Popcorn/coffee jars)
day 49: shake jars of popcorn, to speed up colonization
day 57: tiny pinheads appear on corn, mycelium seems slightly receded.

Any opinion would be appreciated.

Edited by SisterPlanet (02/22/21 12:27 PM)

OfflineLakeshorENT
Stranger
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: SisterPlanet]
    #27220412 - 02/22/21 02:28 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I inoculated this LME Agar with a MSS (One drop) after I created a small divot in the agar with a flame sterilized loop. Im assuming this is bacteria? Ive been having a heck of a time inoculating agar. I use a SAB and follow strict sterile techniques. The control agar plates are still cleen.

OfflineShiro
Padwon
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: SisterPlanet] * 1
    #27220440 - 02/22/21 02:41 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Yeast infection my friend. You aught to do research on sterile procedure. Search the forums for Bods teks, I think he goes over sterility. Build a still air box and work in that. Probably worth your time to get a pressure cooker and do everything in bags or jars; if you are not already. I know a friend who tried uncle bens low cost tek and homie couldn’t get away from contams. Idk if it’s that this uncle bens grain is not sterile or if it was his process. I was surprised to hear bottled drinking water isn’t even sterile. This is a yeast infection most likely tho. Ya Toss it in your outdoor compost pile farthest from your house as possible. I built a compost with spare wood and chicken wire for like $20 and now any contams immediately go in. Except for petri dishes which I normally wait out to see if myc will eat the contam. Healthy myc can generally devour any small contams while they are still young. But yea this looks just like yeast. Good luck friend. - Shiro

--------------------
Let’s cultivate Agarikon!

OfflineShiro
Padwon
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: LakeshorENT] * 1
    #27220451 - 02/22/21 02:48 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Normally myc is strongest looking where inoculation first occurs, so in middle of culture. The fact that this has a white ring around it is suspicious. And doesn’t really look like myc near the middle. Though the outside of culture has small rhizo growth which would mean healthy mycelium. I would let this plate sit away from your others and see what happens. If it changes color it’s not myc. I know Trichoderma has a white ring around it generally. But could be a few diff things, including mycelium. Are you incubating your dishes? Wrapping them with glad wrap or that expensive lab wrap shit to keep contams out? How long are you pressure cooking agar? If all of that is done right your sterile tek is lacking. Clean your SAB with soapy water and than just before you put all your stuff inside I give it a phat spray of iso and wet the walls and ceiling that way contams floating inside will land on the moist alcohol surfaces of walls and ceiling instead of flying all around. Place everything inside and than wait for currents of air to settle. By the way do this in a room that you cleaned thoroughly and also tape off the vents and door with plastic so you have absolutely no drafts entering your room. Also shower and wear tyvec sleeves if not full tyvec suit. I keep clean tyvec just outside my lab in Tupperware and put it on right after I get out of shower. Also I spray my sleeves with alcohol before sticking arms in SAB. Be precise with your movements. Don’t breath on em. Use mask. Idk what else to tell ya mate. Besides that your spores or liquid culture may be contaminated already. Check out our sponsors for clean samples.

--------------------
Let’s cultivate Agarikon!

Edited by Shiro (02/22/21 02:51 PM)

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?
 Unread Journal User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: SisterPlanet]
    #27220466 - 02/22/21 03:00 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Ras_Irie said:

There ar some grain I dont like, can it be bacteria? It looks little yealow to me. It been 16 days from inoculation with agar. Shaked once. Maby my grains to drie?

Those look good enough for another shake, IMO.

Quote:

SisterPlanet said:

Hey, I am hoping someone can confirm or deny contamination in this jar.  It is Panaeolus Cambodginiensis Sandose on popcorn/coffee.

Here's what happened so far:
day  0: inoculated Uncle Ben's Rice with spore syringe.
day 17: shake and break colonized rice.
day 33: perform Grain-To-Grain transfer (Rice to Popcorn/coffee jars)
day 49: shake jars of popcorn, to speed up colonization
day 57: tiny pinheads appear on corn, mycelium seems slightly receded.

Any opinion would be appreciated.

Throw that out yesterday. Stop reading Reddit or whatever and start posting here.

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract