Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon Ayahuasca, Balloons, Cracker, Nitrous Oxide, Salvia, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesonoramo
Contaminant
Male User Gallery

Loc: California, baby! Flag
California Would Legalize Psychedelics Like LSD, DMT And Psilocybin Under New Senate Bill
    #27212751 - 02/18/21 12:25 PM (17 days, 7 hours ago)

California Would Legalize Psychedelics Like LSD, DMT And Psilocybin Under New Senate Bill
Scott Weiner has not given up!

February 18, 2021
By Tom Angell
From Marijuana Moment
Another article appeared in The Guardian (UK)

Possession of psychedelics such as psilocybin mushrooms, LSD and DMT would be legalized in California under a new Senate bill that was introduced on Wednesday.

The legislation, filed by Sen. Scott Wiener (D) and three Assembly cosponsors, would additionally provide expungements for people with prior criminal records for possession or use. It would also establish a working group tasked with studying potential future regulatory systems for psychedelics and making recommendations on the issue to lawmakers by January 1, 2024.

MDMA, ketamine, mescaline and ibogaine are among the other substances that would be covered under the proposal, which would also allow for social sharing.

“Policy should be based on science and common sense, not fear and stigma,” Wiener said in a press release. “The War on Drugs and mass incarceration are destructive and failed policies, and we must end them. Moreover, given the severity of our mental health crisis, we shouldn’t be criminalizing people for using drugs that have shown significant promise in treating mental health conditions.”

The senator’s office said the bill “does not imagine a ‘cannabis model’ or lay a foundation for retail trade in psychedelics” but instead “proposes to end the failed War on Drugs approach to addressing psychedelics while building on the science and research in the psychedelic field to create the potential for a therapeutic framework that could help people struggling from the effects of depression, anxiety, PTSD and other health conditions.”

While the bill is being described by lawmakers and advocates as simple “decriminalization,” the official legislative analysis of the proposal states that it would “make lawful” the personal possession and social sharing of these substances.

Meanwhile, a group of California activists recently announced plans to put an initiative to legalize the use and retail sale of psilocybin on the state’s 2022 ballot. That group, Decriminalize California, said that it would first work to convince lawmakers to pursue reform and then take the issue directly to the people if the legislature fails to act.

“This bill is part of a larger push to end the failed War on Drugs, which has disproportionately harmed underserved communities of color,” Assemblymember Evan Low (D), who is cosponsoring Wiener’s legislation, said. “Our bill helps to lead us on a path to decriminalizing substance abuse so we can focus on providing addiction treatment instead of paying for jail cells and ignoring the larger problem.”

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesonoramo
Contaminant
Male User Gallery

Re: California Would Legalize Psychedelics Like LSD, DMT And Psilocybin Under New Senate Bill [Re: sonoramo] * 3
    #27212766 - 02/18/21 12:32 PM (17 days, 7 hours ago)

California bill would decriminalize psychedelics, paving the way for medical treatment
The bill touts the benefits of the drugs and would expunge the criminal records for those already convicted of possession or use of a substance

Journalists across the globe are taking note

Vivian Ho
Thu 18 Feb 2021 01.00 EST
Original link from The Guardian

This article refers to the bill being revealed on "Thursday" while the MM article refers to "Wednesday." Most likely the difference is time-zone offset. Seems like the story actually broke late Wednesday on Pacific time.

A California lawmaker has introduced legislation that would decriminalize psychedelics in the state, the latest bold step in a movement to end America’s war on drugs.

Scott Wiener, the state senator who authored the bill, hopes that in following the lead of places such as Oakland, Santa Cruz and the District of Columbia – all cities which have decriminalized psychedelics – California will move one step closer to decriminalizing the use and possession of all drugs, something that Oregon passed by voter initiative in November.

“People should not be going to jail for possessing or using drugs,” Wiener told the Guardian. “It’s a health issue, not a criminal issue, and I hope that we get all the way there.”

This bill, unveiled on Thursday, would decriminalize possession and personal use of psilocybin, psilocyn, MDMA, LSD, ketamine, DMT, mescaline and ibogaine – all drugs that can be used for medical treatment. While the decriminalization would apply for any kind of possession or use, not just medical, the bill makes a point to tout the medical benefits of psychedelics, a strategy familiar to drug policy reform advocates.

“That’s how it worked with cannabis,” said Anthony Johnson, a longtime advocate and chief petitioner for Oregon’s Measure 110, the initiative that decriminalized personal possession of small amounts of all illicit drugs. “It’s definitely a way to help people that need it first and foremost, but also then to educate the public about these substances of how the drug war has been a failed policy and how there is a better approach.”

The bill would also expunge criminal records for people convicted of possession or personal use of these substances. It would create a taskforce to recommend which regulatory body would oversee personal and therapeutic use of these substances for mental health treatment.

Wiener did not include peyote as one of the substances because of a shortage of the drug among indigenous practitioners, he said. Peyote is a sacred plant for many indigenous tribes, and at the behest of the native community, the bill will not decriminalize peyote, or mescaline when it is sourced from peyote.
Breaking down stereotypes

In his advocacy, Johnson found that the biggest opponent of decriminalization have been law enforcement, who cite public safety concerns, and those in the private rehabilitation industry. Wiener hopes that testimony from veterans – the bill is sponsored by two groups who help them with PTSD – and therapists who support the therapeutic use of psychedelics will break down prejudices about psychedelics users.

“There’s a stereotype of who’s using psychedelics, but it’s much broader than that and when you have veterans coming into the Capitol talking about how psychedelics help them with PTSD and help them get their lives back, that’s incredibly powerful for legislators,” he said.

Juliana Mercer, 38, is one of those veterans. She graduated boot camp one week before September 11. In her 16 years as a Marine, 10 of which she was active duty, she served two tours: one in Iraq and one in Afghanistan.

Most of her time involved civil affairs, working with local communities and learning of the devastation of war first-hand. For four years, she was in the wounded warriors unit, providing support and services to injured Marines and their families.

“I lost quite a few friends and just saw a lot of a lot of damage and destruction along the way,” said Mercer, who described the experience as leaving her with lingering, unaddressed trauma. “I put all of that stuff away and kind of forgot about it for a while, and once I slowed down it was all just sitting there and I didn’t know what to do with it.”

Mercer’s first foray into psychedelics was recreational. But her experience gave her a feeling of connectedness that she had not felt for a long time, spurring her to reach out to the Heroic Hearts Project, a group that specializes in ayahuasca therapy with military veterans, about a year and a half ago.

Her first session exceeded anything she had expected, releasing “years of grief”.

“I kept hearing that when you do some of these plant medicines, you’ll be able to do 10 years worth of work in one session,” Mercer said. “Just one of my sessions really brought out all of that pain and the grief that I didn’t even know was in there and allowed me to just completely release it and expel it, things that I had no idea were there.”

With the help of her coach and therapist, Mercer was able to “unpack why I was so stuck”.

“It had nothing to do with not knowing who I was or what direction to go, it had to do with just being bogged down with all of these things,” she said.

Lauren Taus, a licensed clinical social worker who facilitates ketamine therapy, is adamant that plant medicine therapy is only a potent tool, not a solution, in mental health work – but one that should be decriminalized as soon as possible.

“We are in a mental health crisis and Covid-19 has exacerbated what was already a crisis,” Taus said. “And the causes of trauma are multiplying way faster than the solutions. Current treatment is generally not very effective. Psychedelic medicine has been engaged with globally for eons. This stuff works and we deserve to have access to solutions that will be sustainable.”

Offlinedurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Re: California Would Legalize Psychedelics Like LSD, DMT And Psilocybin Under New Senate Bill [Re: sonoramo]
    #27215886 - 02/20/21 02:01 AM (15 days, 17 hours ago)

Quote:

Peyote is a sacred plant for many indigenous tribes

So, is corn.

Quote:

and at the behest of the native community, the bill will not decriminalize peyote, or mescaline when it is sourced from peyote.

Quote:

Native American Church of the United States - the original 1913 charter enabled in Oklahoma territory. All chapters with this designation have no blood quantum requirements to attend ceremonies and all races, generally, are welcome. Most tribes that adopted the NAC early have an original chapter enacted with this charter.

OfflineskOsH
a little bit of chaos
 User Gallery

Loc: the PNW
Re: California Would Legalize Psychedelics Like LSD, DMT And Psilocybin Under New Senate Bill [Re: durian_2008]
    #27216126 - 02/20/21 08:21 AM (15 days, 11 hours ago)

Well freaking finally, we are seeing a shift. Multiple states actively seeking this.

After I wake up later today, I'm going to send my emails to my state and local reps, and tell them the benefits of psychedelics and urge them to consider drafting some kind of legislation.  I think they were seeking decriminalization of everything, but honestly, they could just copy California right now. If it gets shot down, just be ready to have a petition going, get enough signatures, and then get it on the ballot.

If it does pass into legalization territory, then they would, just like cannabis legalization, organize and adopt a method for regulation and instituting controls.

Honestly, this shouldn't be that far away. There will be some states that will never do this, and that's fine. That's why there are fifty of them.

Unfortunately I can only afford one square foot of land in Death Valley if I were to move to CA :lol:

--------------------
"Self improvement is masturbation....now self destruction..."

Edited by skOsH (02/20/21 08:22 AM)

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: California Would Legalize Psychedelics Like LSD, DMT And Psilocybin Under New Senate Bill [Re: durian_2008]
    #27216138 - 02/20/21 08:37 AM (15 days, 11 hours ago)

It's probably at the behest of the Native American Church community, for which said cacti are big money makers.

I can't imagine people on the res giving two shits about peyote legalization/decriminalization. And for actual Native Americans that do, I can only imagine their concerns would be related to not wanting people tearing up the desert looking for it, which decriminalization would encourage and legalization would stop or at best not wanting to see a cannabis shop like industry popping up like industry forming for the purpose of selling their holy sacraments, which the right framework for legalization would not allow.

I can totally imagine politicians getting contacted by a "Native American Church" and thinking its actually from indigenous descendants...I can also see politicians inventing/hiding behind this excuse with only the tiniest sliver of justification or even inventing it whole cloth.

For people who like to talk about policy that makes sense...pushing for decriminalization while not allowing people to produce personal use amounts in their home is awfully contradictory to that, if you don't allow people to produce in their home then you are just encouraging the growth of a criminal black market to provide the supply. Obviously for ketamine/lsd/mdma its not really an option, but no reason not to allow people to grow small amounts of cacti/mushrooms in their home.

Edited by Holybullshit (02/20/21 08:56 AM)

OfflineskOsH
a little bit of chaos
 User Gallery

Re: California Would Legalize Psychedelics Like LSD, DMT And Psilocybin Under New Senate Bill [Re: Holybullshit]
    #27216197 - 02/20/21 09:38 AM (15 days, 10 hours ago)

Quote:

Holybullshit said:
For people who like to talk about policy that makes sense...pushing for decriminalization while not allowing people to produce personal use amounts in their home is awfully contradictory to that, if you don't allow people to produce in their home then you are just encouraging the growth of a criminal black market to provide the supply. Obviously for ketamine/lsd/mdma its not really an option, but no reason not to allow people to grow small amounts of cacti/mushrooms in their home.

I agree that decriminalization must also be met with personal use and cultivation, but I don't see why someone cannot be allowed to synth at home? If it's for their own use, it shouldn't be an issue

Then again I really doubt many people would try to synth different chemicals. I know that in canada you can pretty much get any chemical you want and make any compound/substance you want. It doesn't take an enormous amount of knowledge, but it does require precaution, as some of the steps in some synths of compounds are quite dangerous.

Such as cultivating ergot fungus, gotta make sure that it is kept in an otherwise sterile environment, or keep it outside, otherwise, you gon die, lol...but yeah...I feel like if it were legalized then not many people could make synth'd compounds, but they should be allowed to. Just like how people should, and are, if over 16, can play with dry ice...well, not play with it, but you have to be 16yo to buy it....but there are other compounds, like diethylamine, that you basically cannot buy in the states without agencies going to your door, wondering what you could possibly be making with it...

But I just don't see why people cannot just purchase diethylamine, make it themselves...because honestly you're only a few steps away from completion if you acquire that chemical and can get lysergic acid.

mdma is even easier to make than lsd

and I would say, ketamine would be easier to make.

Obviously someone should wear eyewear, a body suit that is fire resistant, and a gas mask when making certain chems.

Although if LSD was made legal, yes I would make it, I would make a lot of it....but it would still be personal use. I would only need make...maybe 100mg of it to have a "lifetime supply" but I don't even think I would use all of that. That's a lot...well, kind of. Depends on where someone wants to go

Also what's to stop people from completely separating psilocybin from their shrooms and isolating a ton of it at very high purity? That's also what I would be doing, since it eliminates nausea completely, and I could take a higher dose more easily. ...also I could stockpile a ton of it after a super large grow and not worry about storage, so long as I kept them in film canisters or something at or below room temp, it would last a long time

--------------------

Offlinesonoramo
Contaminant
Male User Gallery

Re: California Would Legalize Psychedelics Like LSD, DMT And Psilocybin Under New Senate Bill [Re: Holybullshit]
    #27216280 - 02/20/21 10:44 AM (15 days, 9 hours ago)

Quote:

Holybullshit said:
It's probably at the behest of the Native American Church community, for which said cacti are big money makers.

Got a reference for how they make money? Do they sell ceremonies and that sort of thing? Or just the cacti?

Quote:

...I can only imagine their concerns would be related to not wanting people tearing up the desert looking for it, ...

I think this comes closer to the concerns of the general population of "progressives" (Native or not). Lophophora williamsii is known to be slow-growing. I've never tried to grow it; supposedly the seeds can take a year to germinate! After that, even with ideal conditions, it is said to take five years before it reaches adult size. Until it gets wiped out in the desert, it would be much easier for dealers to poach it than to grow it.

Given all that, maybe it would be best to decriminalize possession of live cacti... At least that way, there'd be incentive to grow and protect the actual plant from extinction.

Offlinesonoramo
Contaminant
Male User Gallery

Re: California Would Legalize Psychedelics Like LSD, DMT And Psilocybin Under New Senate Bill [Re: skOsH]
    #27216282 - 02/20/21 10:48 AM (15 days, 9 hours ago)

Quote:

skOsH said:
...I agree that decriminalization must also be met with personal use and cultivation, but I don't see why someone cannot be allowed to synth at home? If it's for their own use, it shouldn't be an issue...

It would at least be consistent with not letting people distill moonshine at home. Government has a legitimate role to reduce social costs caused by blindness, emergency room visits and fires that might burn down more than just the user's apartment.

OfflineCharner
Psilophora

Loc: 3rd planet from the sun
Re: California Would Legalize Psychedelics Like LSD, DMT And Psilocybin Under New Senate Bill [Re: sonoramo]
    #27216489 - 02/20/21 12:58 PM (15 days, 6 hours ago)

This is hella good news! At least for us that are tired of playing the cat and mouse stupid ass game with the government.
The words of the senator are pretty strong, hopefully, science and logic keep embedding themselves in the system through this kind of people.

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: California Would Legalize Psychedelics Like LSD, DMT And Psilocybin Under New Senate Bill [Re: skOsH]
    #27216928 - 02/20/21 05:11 PM (15 days, 2 hours ago)

Because clandestine labs are often toxic and fire hazards.

If your set up is safe, professional, vented and filtered...and you aren't releasing toxic fumes into the air or dumping chemicals down the drain, that's one thing, but who is going to make sure clandestine chemists are doing things by the book?

Legalizing home synth of popular recreational drugs, with no way to ensure the safety of their "labs", is asking for trouble.

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
    #27216935 - 02/20/21 05:14 PM (15 days, 2 hours ago)

Both.

And loophora is hardly the only natural source of mescaline. There are much faster growing cacti, that I promise you would make more sense to grow then roaming all over the desert if profit is your goal. You could legalize and still ban picking wild loophora, but if you just decriminalize you are basically inviting people to go out in the desert and have their fill.

OfflineStranger69
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27217693 - 02/21/21 02:47 AM (14 days, 17 hours ago)

Cali is home. I love it

InvisibleFerdinando
Male

Re: California Would Legalize Psychedelics Like LSD, DMT And Psilocybin Under New Senate Bill [Re: Stranger69]
    #27218032 - 02/21/21 10:23 AM (14 days, 9 hours ago)

so great news!
keep it coming

--------------------
you know that if you name something and identify it and accept it then you can move on

you know that if you name something and identify it and accept it then you can movie on

you know that if you name something and identiy it and accept it then you can move one

Offlinedurian_2008
 User Gallery

#27218317 - 02/21/21 01:35 PM (14 days, 6 hours ago)

Quote:

Holybullshit said:

Having watched Hamilton Morris, I would typify it as a sort of mafia.

Criminalizing any commodity for trade does not make it disintegrate into the Ether, but causes a black market, in every case, every time, no matter how mundane is the item for trade.

OfflineskOsH
a little bit of chaos
 User Gallery

#27218489 - 02/21/21 03:27 PM (14 days, 4 hours ago)

Quote:

Holybullshit said:
Because clandestine labs are often toxic and fire hazards.

If your set up is safe, professional, vented and filtered...and you aren't releasing toxic fumes into the air or dumping chemicals down the drain, that's one thing, but who is going to make sure clandestine chemists are doing things by the book?

Legalizing home synth of popular recreational drugs, with no way to ensure the safety of their "labs", is asking for trouble.

Yeah but I figure the only people that would try it would take precaution. I mean one step in LSD synth could be fatal but perhaps people can acquire a license to do so, if they take some classes and also take a test? There should be a way to regulate it.

People can't drive a car they own until they get a license

There are all sorts of licenses, just make violation a large fine and revoking of license and they have to retake courses

Chefs gotta take a food safety test

Gun buyers need to get a gun license

Just another license

Or just push for legalization of the synth'd compounds

C'mon, head shops already sell weird stuff like salvia

What's weird is nitrous oxide is banned from recreational use in California. Like, no one sells it really.  I figure they should also address that, since outlawing nos, kinda lame tbh

--------------------

Edited by skOsH (02/21/21 03:29 PM)

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
    #27219850 - 02/22/21 10:59 AM (13 days, 8 hours ago)

Creating an agency to regulate home labs is not politically or financially feasible.

Quote:

Yeah but I figure the only people that would try it would take precaution.

You'd be wrong...have you never heard of methamphetamine?

I mean, if you are talking about something in the scope of DEA licensing now, sure. But there's no reason to make home synth legal to accomplish that, you just create a license that exempts those who have it from the law...but for it to be more than a rubber stamp it would need such requirements that not just anyone could get it. Extremely high fee to help pay for the program, requirement of masters or phd and years of experience, inspection of lab before issuance, and limits on where these labs could be located. And there would have to be production quotas that are enforceable.

It wouldn't really make home synth an option for more than a few hobby chemists, and there would be little to no benefit to the state or society, so I just don't see there being a large enough base of support to make it politically feasible.

As much as I believe in personal liberty, I don't know how I would feel about "some guy" who thinks he is being safe running a clandestine lab in the next house over. Personally, I would love to be able to synth at home legally, but I understand why it shouldn't be that way.

Quote:

Or just push for legalization of the synth'd compounds

This I can totally get behind. Only a few highly regulated producers, and available through limited amounts mail order only.

Edited by Holybullshit (02/22/21 11:14 AM)

Offlinedurian_2008
 User Gallery

#27221208 - 02/23/21 12:26 AM (12 days, 19 hours ago)

Quote:

Holybullshit said:
I can totally imagine politicians getting contacted by a "Native American Church" and thinking its actually from indigenous descendants...

It wouldn't bother me, personally, to discuss comparative religion and fairy things and the merits of peyote.

Peyotism was a recently-introduced faith, that reads from the Christian Bible, in it's present iteration.

Quote:

skOsH said:
People can't drive a car they own until they get a license

:awesomenod:

No damages, no victim, not a crime.

Privileges and fees, not a free country.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon Ayahuasca, Balloons, Cracker, Nitrous Oxide, Salvia, San Pedro

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service