Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Ayahuasca, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Loc: Flag
From trippy drugs to therapeutic aids – how psychedelics got their groove back
    #27212082 - 02/18/21 12:06 AM (18 days, 1 hour ago)

From trippy drugs to therapeutic aids – how psychedelics got their groove back
The Conversation - February 17, 2021

For many years, drugs such as LSD, psilocybin and Dimethyltryptamine (DMT) were viewed only as highly dangerous drugs. However, in recent years they have had a bit of rebrand. Now they’re believed by some to have the power to heal, to reconnect us with nature – even resolve political tensions.

Use of these drugs is on the rise. At the start of the pandemic in 2020, the UK Home Office released data showing a 230% rise in confiscations of LSD compared to the previous year. The pandemic itself might be changing drug preferences. Almost half of those using magic mushrooms reported using more during the pandemic according to a recent survey.

The changing view of psychedelics can in part be attributed to the renewed interest in their potential to treat mental health problems such as depression. Between the early 1950s and 1970s, there was a great deal of interest in the use of LSD in the treatment for a wide range of conditions, including alcohol use disorders, schizophrenia, childhood autism and “sexual dysfunction”.

Despite some promising findings, a lack of scientific rigour and wider political and cultural pressures meant that almost all research ended in America in the late 1960s, although it has continued in Europe.

This work has now started up again to a limited extent. As demonstrated with medicinal cannabis, emphasising the therapeutic potential of a drug can help shift attitudes towards it. In recent years, as research activity has increased, media attention has moved from the risks associated with psychedelics to their potential benefits. This has helped reshape attitudes towards this group of drugs.

Mind altering

The gradual rebrand of psychedelics, from dangerous to therapeutic, has been bolstered by a booming wellbeing industry. An increasing number of people are looking for ways they can extend the mind, body and soul. This has led to a rise in companies selling herbal remedies (as seen with the popularity of turmeric touted as “nature’s-wonder drug”) and now even psychedelics.

Before the pandemic, psychedelic tourism was a growing niche of wellbeing. One popular strand was ayahuasca retreats in South America, which attracted thousands of wealthy customers keen to explore their psyche.

Ayahuasca has been used in traditional healing and spiritual practices for generations by South American indigenous populations. The potent brew contains DMT), the active ingredient that produces a powerful psychedelic experience. For a few thousand pounds travellers can engage in this practice and claim these celebrity-endorsed rituals as their own to address their physical, psychological and spiritual maladies.

While some are seeking spiritual awakening, others are using psychedelics to boost brain function.

Microdosing psychedelics, which involves taking small doses of the drug, has also grown in popularity. The aim is to enhance cognitive performance, without the disruption of a full-blown experience. People who engage in the practice claim it makes them more productive, creative and focused. The practice has been enthusiastically reported and promoted in media, despite little evidence of its effectiveness.

This has also helped reshape the image of psychedelics, with a focus on benefits – including savings to healthcare services – rather than the risk of harm. Access to psychedelics has never been easier via the internet and dark web markets.

Likewise, the recent decision by legislators in the US to reduce penalties for possession of small quantities of magic mushrooms reflects the view that these substances are potentially therapeutic, distinct from many other controlled drugs that are discussed in relation to the harms that they can potentially cause.

Big business

Private industry, sensing a shift in attitudes and seeing there are profits to be made from legal cannabis in the US, are now setting their sights on psychedelics.

New companies have started up, supported by experienced investors and tech billionaires and advised by leading psychedelic researchers. The initial focus has been on patenting new techniques for synthesising psychedelic drugs and establishing private medical clinics and therapies to distinguish medical uses from “recreational”.

But as with cannabis, over the long term, as attitudes continue to shift, big money is also likely to be made in non-medical and wellness markets.

While we’re unlikely to see psilocybin hummus on our shelves, “wellness” is a trillion-dollar global industry. Whether that’s home microdosing kits, spiritual retreats, or “therapies” for people feeling lost and without direction, where there’s a disposable income, there’s a psychedelics company with an answer.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineskOsH
a little bit of chaos
 User Gallery

Loc: the PNW
Re: From trippy drugs to therapeutic aids – how psychedelics got their groove back [Re: veggie]
    #27216238 - 02/20/21 10:06 AM (15 days, 15 hours ago)

It seems as though we never gave psychedelics their "due"

We gave them a chance, but gave into propaganda and because it allowed people to have alternative ways of thinking, this was seen as problematic as it was linked to counter culture

Well, I mean, we have approved far more dangerous substances...that aren't even very psychoactive (say, SSRIs), and some people commit suicide from their side effects...and those are perfectly legal.

I'd love an Rx for psychs that says "take as needed". I don't think many people would take them a lot. I feel like people should be allowed to do them when they have nothing else to do...but they need to sign a liability waver, otherwise there's no possible way to legalize / decriminalize large scale psychedelic usage (like if someone wanted to buy larger than a microdose), which would again, be perfectly reasonable but, they need to agree to not endanger others

--------------------
"Self improvement is masturbation....now self destruction..."

OfflineDirikon
Stranger
Re: From trippy drugs to therapeutic aids – how psychedelics got their groove back [Re: skOsH]
    #27235405 - 03/03/21 05:28 PM (4 days, 8 hours ago)

Big money is not a big deal. I believe that everyone is able to earn a lot. I saw an interesting article about advantage play slot machines and I understood that on the gambling site - money is not the prize. Your inner satisfaction is a real deal. Yeah, these feelings when you get your prize much more treasure than the prize at all.

OfflineNobler
Stranger
Re: From trippy drugs to therapeutic aids – how psychedelics got their groove back [Re: Dirikon]
    #27235413 - 03/03/21 05:32 PM (4 days, 8 hours ago)

Quote:

Dirikon said:
Big money is not a big deal. I believe that everyone is able to earn a lot. I saw an interesting article about advantage play slot machines and I understood that on the gambling site - money is not the prize. Your inner satisfaction is a real deal. Yeah, these feelings when you get your prize much more treasure than the prize at all.

Hahahah, haven't you misunderstood the topic?

Edited by Nobler (03/03/21 05:33 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Ayahuasca, Scales

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service