Home | Community | Message Board

North Spore
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Loc: Flag
Eastern Oregon law enforcement officials denounce new law decriminalizing illicit drugs
    #27210552 - 02/17/21 07:30 AM (18 days, 11 hours ago)

Eastern Oregon law enforcement officials denounce new law decriminalizing illicit drugs
KTVB - February 16, 2021

MALHEUR COUNTY, Ore. — Possessing a small amount of drugs is no longer illegal in Oregon after 58% of voters backed Ballot Measure 110 in the November election.

Across the state, people will no longer go to jail for possessing small amounts of illicit substances, including hard drugs like cocaine and heroin. Instead, they could get a ticket, or they'll have to take a health assessment.

“I was opposed to it but mainly because of my fears for community safety,” Malheur County District Attorney Dave Goldthorpe said.

Goldthorpe has been the county’s district attorney for a little more than four years now. He told KTVB he’s opposed to the new law because, in his experience, drug use has brought on other crimes.

“I was afraid that other crimes would go up that are associated with drug use, for example, property crimes are a big part of that,” he said.

Under the new law, the state can't force someone to get treatment like they used to be able to do.

“I've actually had people complete our drug court program and treatment and tell me that were they not arrested, they think they would have died,” Goldthorpe said. “You could force someone into detox, essentially by arresting them or taking them to a detox facility, and then a judge could force them into treatment while they’re on probation.”

Goldthorpe isn’t the only law enforcement official opposed to the new law. Ontario Chief of Police Steven Romero also thinks it's a bad idea.

“It's a huge social experiment that the state of Oregon took on,” he said. “I don't believe they're going to get the results they think they're going to get.”

With this new law, Romero believes the state will see an uptick in domestic violence, child abuse and other violent and property crimes.

Some people may be attracted to relocate to Oregon too because the punishment isn't as strict as it is in other states that neighbor Oregon, like Idaho.

Anyone caught with a small amount of illicit drugs could face a fine of up to $100. The amount that is considered "small" varies depending on the drug. For methamphetamine and cocaine, it’s less than two grams. A small amount of heroin would be less than one gram.

LSD and oxycodone are considered small if less than 40 units.

“[It] does nothing to address your drug addiction, does nothing to even steer you towards rehabilitation,” Romero said.

Instead of paying the fine, the offender could also agree to take a health assessment on their drug addiction. However, pursuing treatment would be totally up to them.

“You just have to do the assessment and that's it and then you walk away,” Romero said.

People with either a felony conviction or at least two past drug convictions may face more serious penalties. Laws forbidding the sale or possession of large quantities of drugs remain unchanged.

Those who support the measure say treatment is the way to go when it comes to handling drug addiction, instead of criminalizing it.

“Our current drug laws have not, I mean, it's been a failing system. It's expensive and it ruins lives,” said Janie Gullickson, a supporter of the new law. “A public health approach to addiction is long overdue.”

Part of the law also says that addiction recovery centers will be available to help treat people.

Another big issue for Romero though, is the law says the treatment centers shall be established and operational by October 1, 2021.

“It would've made sense to put the infrastructure in place first,” he said.

The funding for the addiction recovery centers comes from legal marijuana sales revenue and potential savings from no longer arresting and prosecuting people for drug possession.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineskOsH
a little bit of chaos
 User Gallery

Loc: the PNW
Re: Eastern Oregon law enforcement officials denounce new law decriminalizing illicit drugs [Re: veggie]
    #27210638 - 02/17/21 09:13 AM (18 days, 9 hours ago)

Sigh

I'm not sure why people feel the need to worry about other crimes if illicit drug use is decriminalized

It's not like before this was passed, police knew if someone had a tiny amount of drugs on them. It's not as if since people will feel like they can't get arrested for drugs, that they will engage in domestic violence. That's the dumbest argument I've ever heard

The people who use drugs will just not be arrested for drugs. If they commit violent crime, they will be booked in jail for violent crimes

I don't understand why some people cannot make that tiny jump in logical thinking

--------------------
"Self improvement is masturbation....now self destruction..."

OfflineRebelutionsssss
Mdmazing
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: San Francisco
Re: Eastern Oregon law enforcement officials denounce new law decriminalizing illicit drugs [Re: skOsH]
    #27210856 - 02/17/21 11:38 AM (18 days, 7 hours ago)

I think it’s going to be good for the city overall. Increase rehabs

--------------------
:
To define is to confine.

InvisibleQM33
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Eastern Oregon law enforcement officials denounce new law decriminalizing illicit drugs [Re: veggie]
    #27211104 - 02/17/21 02:13 PM (18 days, 4 hours ago)

I've said some dumb shit that has ended up happening so I'm not going to say it would be kinda cool to walk around with some acid or mushrooms in front of the police station or something like that, to only get a 100 dollar fine. Which 100 is alot, but not compared to whatever would have happened before.

And jail doesn't fix addicts. Putting addicts in jail makes real criminals. And making a clear route for treatment is much better than this hit or miss system we have now where some people get probation, jail and or treatment. I think treatment should be the main goal.

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Eastern Oregon law enforcement officials denounce new law decriminalizing illicit drugs [Re: QM33] * 1
    #27211298 - 02/17/21 03:45 PM (18 days, 3 hours ago)

What LEO is really worried about is how this will affect their budget.

Quote:

“[It] does nothing to address your drug addiction, does nothing to even steer you towards rehabilitation,” Romero said.

Instead of paying the fine, the offender could also agree to take a health assessment on their drug addiction. However, pursuing treatment would be totally up to them.

“You just have to do the assessment and that's it and then you walk away,” Romero said.

The main impediment to rehab/recovery for most addicts is their shame, and not being able to cope with what they feel is the burden of addressing their addictions while just trying to survive, this helps with that.

Quote:

“I was opposed to it but mainly because of my fears for community safety,” Malheur County District Attorney Dave Goldthorpe said.

Goldthorpe has been the county’s district attorney for a little more than four years now. He told KTVB he’s opposed to the new law because, in his experience, drug use has brought on other crimes.

“I was afraid that other crimes would go up that are associated with drug use, for example, property crimes are a big part of that,” he said.

Addicts turn to crime when they run out of money. Arresting people and saddling them with court fees, probation, fines, forcing them to lose their fucking job and erecting a giant barrier to new employment is what causes property crime in the first place.

Bunch of ignorant fascists, worried about having their power taken from them.

God knows locking people up for possession has been a wildly successful strategy so far, fucking morons.

Edited by Holybullshit (02/17/21 03:52 PM)

OfflineBlackrainbow2
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: right behind U
Re: Eastern Oregon law enforcement officials denounce new law decriminalizing illicit drugs [Re: Holybullshit]
    #27212330 - 02/18/21 04:52 AM (17 days, 14 hours ago)

Arresting people is a BUSINESS..those arrests were usually easy...they will have to work harder to get their arrests so and yes...it's probably a good thing but...there always unintended consequences always..cops may dig deeper to get people or write them stupid tickets like J walking or what not..but also a lot of PC is based on Possible Drugs... possessing smell behavior etc...so they will have less reason to search people and may miss some crimes that those searches arrests may have discovered early so the cop argument has some merit...

OfflineSidestreet
Travelling'Topiate
Male User Gallery

Loc: NE US
    #27212337 - 02/18/21 05:10 AM (17 days, 13 hours ago)

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but this is fantastic.  It's the first full-on domestic experiment with decriminalization of all drugs a la Portugal and other places.  I wonder if Oregon communities will experience the same benefits as those other places?  I just randomly heard very square co-workers talking about Portugal's great reputation as a place to live.

As the data roll in, I expect it will will vindicate the voters' decision in Oregon.

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Eastern Oregon law enforcement officials denounce new law decriminalizing illicit drugs [Re: Blackrainbow2]
    #27212726 - 02/18/21 12:02 PM (17 days, 7 hours ago)

What a crock of shit...even IF I bought your argument that "real" criminals would get away with heinous crimes because cops couldn't use PC from seeing drugs(how often do cops "smell" drugs that aren't cannabis?? Which is actually legal, not decrim), which I absolutely don't, you might be able to come up with some anecdotal examples of this sort of thing happening, but its not like a giant shield has just been erected between real criminals and cops...it's not true, this doesn't affect PC for a search at all.

If anything this may help tear down metaphorical barriers between cops and drug users, so perhaps they might be more willing to report on violent and property crimes or more willing to cooperate in an investigation.

I mean do you hear yourself? Drugs should stay illegal because when cops go after drug users they happen to stumble across worse crimes sometimes??? Of course what happen to the users of those drug is just perfectly acceptable collateral damage.

Edited by Holybullshit (02/18/21 12:13 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service