Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJason400
Stranger
Best way to start selections for cloning. * 1
    #27202322 - 02/12/21 08:40 PM (13 days, 16 hours ago)

I am new at mushroom cultivation but my background is in the Bacterial, Cell, and Virus production in the vaccine industry.

I just started some plates using PC B+ a few days ago. My plan was to transfer the polyclonal mix to grain spawn then to tubs. From there I would choose the fruits with the best phenotypes and start cloning from there. Or should I start with choosing areas from the plate and transferring that to new plates before inoculating grain?

Are there any draw backs to these procedures. Any advise is welcome.

Thanks in advance

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHindsight
Mad Scientist
 User Gallery

Re: Best way to start selections for cloning. [Re: Jason400]
    #27202405 - 02/12/21 09:17 PM (13 days, 15 hours ago)

Hoping someone with more experience replies but I've been researching this quite a bit lately and it seems there are two schools of thought (one for each of the options you laid out).

The issue with isolating is that you have no idea what you are isolating... no idea if the particular mycelium you isolated is any good. It could be great or it could be awful. Whereas if you just dump your plate that is growing out multiple mycelium breedings, all those will grow in your tub and you'll get to see the results of all of them. You then select the best fruits and clone and/or print them from there (depending on what you are trying to do). For something that is already really domesticated (like B+), you likely won't have that much genetic diversity so going with clones from that point forward is probably your best bet (as opposed to repeated breedings from spore).

OfflineCrackatoaS
Stranger in a strange land
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Over by your Mama's house Flag
Re: Best way to start selections for cloning. [Re: Hindsight] * 2
    #27202592 - 02/12/21 10:34 PM (13 days, 14 hours ago)

You wanna pick the fastest strongest myc from your petri dishes till you get a clean culture and put that to grain. That being your master jar. You can expand G2G if you wanna go to a larger tub for a bigger selection or use the one to a shoebox. Once you get fruits, THEN you clone. I always go for a tissue sample of the first cluster to pop up and I get a sample from a fruit of choice, Biggest, prettiest. Starting from a multispore, taking tranfers you are not reducing genetics by enough to take out "promising" ones.

OfflineMikeRodose
Stranger

Re: Best way to start selections for cloning. [Re: Crackatoa]
    #27221516 - 02/23/21 06:21 AM (3 days, 6 hours ago)

Crackatoa - you just made my day!

I was looking for this advice and was taking a quick look before posting a question - I was stressing that I would "miss out" on something by going from MSS to Agar and selecting transfers

quote]Crackatoa said:
You wanna pick the fastest strongest myc from your petri dishes till you get a clean culture and put that to grain. That being your master jar. You can expand G2G if you wanna go to a larger tub for a bigger selection or use the one to a shoebox. Once you get fruits, THEN you clone. I always go for a tissue sample of the first cluster to pop up and I get a sample from a fruit of choice, Biggest, prettiest. Starting from a multispore, taking tranfers you are not reducing genetics by enough to take out "promising" ones.

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Best way to start selections for cloning. (moved) [Re: Jason400]
    #27221531 - 02/23/21 06:47 AM (3 days, 6 hours ago)

This thread was moved from Advanced Mycology.

Reason:
Regular part of cultivation

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation