Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinethirtygoats
The #1 Nobody
Male
Loc: Ireland Flag
What browser keeps your computer safe from other users in a chatroom?
    #27194950 - 02/09/21 09:45 AM (11 months, 2 days ago)

So, I've been on Google Chrome in a chatroom before, and although the website didn't have Https, I thought that atleast using Google Chrome and having Avast Antivirus would keep my computer safe from being attacked by other people while I was in a chatroom, but I was wrong.

After a while, keys I would press would repeat (like "thissssssssss" for example) except less frequently, about every 20 keys I would press, the key I pressed would repeat about 10 or 15 times, and I know it wasn't anything wrong with my computer or keyboard because I tried another keyboard, and I had every reason to believe that someone in the chatroom had done something malicious to cause it to happen. So I'm just wondering what browser (Besides Tor) would be the best for keeping my computer safe from being attacked by other people while I'm in a chatroom, or is there another program I could use for more protection?

At the moment, I no longer use Avast Antivirus and I currently just use the Windows Defender Application Guard web browser (which is supposed to be better for stopping malware), SecureDNS (Quad9), Windows Defender Firewall and antivirus, Avast Secureline VPN, and always have the latest updates from Windows Update installed, but Windows Defender Application Guard browser is kinda slow and doesn't save my settings and I was considering using Chromium version 90 but wanted to ask what others think would be the best browser for keeping a computer safe from being attacked by others online. Oh, if no one replies to this thread, no big deal, I doubt I will face that problem again or have any problems again in the future.

--------------------
͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineWildFungalGrowth
Stranger

Re: What browser keeps your computer safe from other users in a chatroom? [Re: thirtygoats] * 1
    #27203217 - 02/13/21 10:20 AM (10 months, 29 days ago)

If it only happens in that chat room then it is likely a software issue on their end and not on yours. If it happens on your computer in general then it's likely a software issue. It could be a lot of things, operating system, misconfigurations, hardware errors, etc.

I could go on a long, boring rant about how anti virus software wont help you against targeted attacks but I'll spare you the boredom. Long story short, an antivirus software can for the most part only detect known viruses and real time exploits, a new or specific targeted virus or attack towards you can not be detected. The antivirus has to know what to look for to know it's malicious if you get what I'm saying.

If you are worried about targeted attacks against you, then you have more to worry about than just your browser. Can you trust your operating system to not have a backdoor? Can you trust your hardware? If you want to open that can of worms then look into operating systems like Linux and open hardware where you and others can see the source code. How can you know that there isn't a backdoor otherwise? You can't.

I'll suggest Firefox. I don't like Mozilla (developers of Firefox) because they are against unpopular (free) speech, but their browser isn't bad and the Tor browser is based on it so it has more eyes on the source code. Most malicious people will try to target what is popular to get the most out of their attacks, so they would target Google Chrome and Windows so using Firefox + Linux would put you in the "not popular enough to bother finding exploits" category. Hackers want to get the biggest bang for their buck too.

OfflineAmistadCubensis
Stranger
Re: What browser keeps your computer safe from other users in a chatroom? [Re: thirtygoats]
    #27205625 - 02/14/21 04:20 PM (10 months, 28 days ago)

let's see, with a browser your best bet for security is mozilla firefox.

Typically, through your browser, malicious users will attack you with scripts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scripting_language

mozilla has an easy and non-malware ad-on called "no-script script blocker". I don't know what I would do without this thing, it even lets me block pay-walls for news websites at times, yet it is an aggressive add-on, so it will block things you don't want it to also.

InvisibleSoma241
Chātra
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: What browser keeps your computer safe from other users in a chatroom? [Re: thirtygoats] * 1
    #27253752 - 03/15/21 12:13 PM (9 months, 30 days ago)

I’m not a security expert but if you could try Tor and a Data Detox.

Edited by Soma241 (03/15/21 12:14 PM)

Offlineoursoulsinmotion
✨Sammi✨
Female

Loc: Revere Flag
Re: What browser keeps your computer safe from other users in a chatroom? [Re: thirtygoats]
    #27492041 - 10/04/21 12:14 PM (3 months, 13 days ago)

If youre worried about security, use a VPN

Offlineyour_imagination
Stranger
Re: What browser keeps your computer safe from other users in a chatroom? [Re: oursoulsinmotion]
    #27493653 - 10/05/21 04:28 PM (3 months, 12 days ago)

Quote:

oursoulsinmotion said:
If youre worried about security, use a VPN

Sorry, but this is totally wrong suggestion. VPN has nothing to do with security. It does not prevent malicious traffic at all. And, despite all the advertisers, VPNs are not anonymous either. Your VPN provider still sees everything that otherwise your Internet service provider sees. By using a VPN you just hide some information from your ISP and give this exactly information to some third party company, and that doesn't make you anonymous at all.

There is no magic browser or button to became anonymous, but, as @WildFungalGrowth said, Windows + Google Chrome is definitely not the best (actually, the worst) combination for security and privacy. I highly recommend to take a look at qemu + Whonix. But... You need some skills to properly configure it. Fortunately, documentation is available online.

Edited by your_imagination (10/05/21 08:35 PM)

Offlineoursoulsinmotion
✨Sammi✨
Female

Loc: Revere Flag
Re: What browser keeps your computer safe from other users in a chatroom? [Re: your_imagination]
    #27493901 - 10/05/21 08:09 PM (3 months, 12 days ago)

👆🏻
Ill look into that setup, thanks!

Its common knowledge that whoever you sign up for VPN has your info/access to what youre looking at online.

No system is 100% secure

InvisibleAndjew
 User Gallery

#27527158 - 11/02/21 08:43 AM (2 months, 15 days ago)

If you want absolute security and privacy, then you should use Tails. It is a GNU/Linux distribution containing many useful tools, including TOR. You don't install it on your computer; you install it on a USB drive and run it as a live image. Tails' computer model is designed around treating all networks and computers as hostile; this is useful because you can bring a USB device in your pocket, boot it on a machine that you don't own, and still retain your security and anonymity. I recommend using Tails, but the next best thing is the TOR browser.

Offlineyour_imagination
Stranger
Re: What browser keeps your computer safe from other users in a chatroom? [Re: Andjew]
    #27528177 - 11/03/21 12:10 AM (2 months, 15 days ago)

Yep, Tails is great and really easy to use. The main advantage of Tails is portability, but there is one downside with it. Tails runs directly on your 'real hardware', which means that malicious code or java script can be used to leak your real IP bypassing TOR network. And this is where the Whonix model of two virtual machines(the gateway and the workstation) has the advantage - your workstation machine can not leak your real IP under any circumstances, because it simply doesn't know it. It uses the second virtual machine(the gateway) as a virtual network adapter which is fully torified, so it is technically impossible to bypass TOR. And it can be configured to behave exactly like Tails, i.e. to forget everything after reboot.

Edited by your_imagination (11/04/21 02:39 AM)

InvisibleAndjew
 User Gallery

Re: What browser keeps your computer safe from other users in a chatroom? [Re: your_imagination] * 1
    #27528458 - 11/03/21 09:55 AM (2 months, 14 days ago)

Interesting, thanks for mentioning; I have heard about whonix, but I wasn't totally informed on its benefits and differences from Tails. For anyone else that's interested, see the documentation from whonix.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom