Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | Next > | Last >
Offlineverum subsequentis
seeker of truth
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: smalltalk_canceled]
    #27186994 - 02/04/21 07:36 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

And Verm, please enlighten us on your sugar experiments. I will remove my self from this thread now.

Verm is a hydrous phyllosilicate mineral which undergoes significant expansion when heated that we use for it's water holding capacity.
Verum is latin for the truth of a particular matter.

Anywho, I have a thing for testing things out for myself. I've put LC through various PC cycles to find out if it would caramelize. Final test was four hours at around 20 PSI. No noticeable problems and the myc grew just fine. A little more research into sugar caramelization lead to the realization that we don't even reach the required temps in a PC.

I don't claim to be an expert on the subject and I'd bet there are different types of sugars and most probably other  factors I'm not seeing. My LC was made with LME which is the same "sugar" i use in my agar. I have not tried the same tests with agar but I have done an hour and a half with no problems.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblenatedawgnow
Rocky mountain hood rat
 User Gallery

Loc: ation
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: verum subsequentis]
    #27187016 - 02/04/21 07:56 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Sugar caramelizes at 300+ degrees f. Malt is at 300 if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway the pc doesnt get hot enough to caramelize. From what I've seen, what most people think is caramelization of their malt extract agar is actually hot break of the proteins in the malt.

--------------------

InvisibleStipe-n CapMDiscord
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: verum subsequentis]
    #27187022 - 02/04/21 07:59 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I'm not a TC, but this may be helpful.

InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: Stipe-n Cap] * 1
    #27187049 - 02/04/21 08:30 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Back in the day when the old hands said they “caramelized” it that it was basically admitting they contamed it.

Offlinelookintolearn
Stranger becoming Strangest

Loc: Up in the Cut
Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #27187188 - 02/04/21 11:15 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I have browsed many a times and never found this thread lol. Would have been super useful like 4 months ago when I really needed it, nonetheless im sure i'll have some questions that need answering later on into my adventure culting lol.

Solid :thumbup:

--------------------
Don't be afraid of feeling the feelings

Lookin to LAGM 2021

Looking to start growing? Read through Bod's Introduction to Everything
Looking to start agar? Start with Alien's Holy Grail
Looking to perfect your transfers? Start with D3monic's Perfect Transfers
Looking for easiest prep to Coir ever? Eat's UNBUCKET Tek
Looking to start LC? Try LI first! Munch's super easy Blenderless LI

Edited by lookintolearn (02/04/21 11:16 PM)

OfflineQayyn Eb-Ur
Vagabond
Male User Gallery

Loc: East of the valley
Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #27202481 - 02/12/21 07:48 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I let this one sit for too long. I guess it’s ok to transfer or clone but it has sporilated. Do the dropped spores which haven’t made too big a mess pose a problem? Would I clone the fruit? Do I transfer the wedge from around the fruit? Should I avoid making a wedge that touches the edge of the plate?

--------------------
If you see Lil'ktu then tell her I'm sorry.
Texas Climate and Soil Data

seeker of truth

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: Qayyn Eb-Ur]
    #27208757 - 02/16/21 03:20 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

No. Unless the plate is a clone and you don't want fresh genetics.

Just snatch that sucker and set her on a fresh plate.

Most avoid the edges but not all of us. I personally avoid them (usually)

Offlinegone-pear-shaped
Stranger than fiction

#27208775 - 02/16/21 03:42 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

verum subsequentis said:
I've put LC through various PC cycles to find out if it would caramelize. Final test was four hours at around 20 PSI. No noticeable problems and the myc grew just fine. A little more research into sugar caramelization lead to the realization that we don't even reach the required temps in a PC.

That is super helpful! Is it still a rule to not overcook agar, or do you think that might also be a myth?

seeker of truth

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: gone-pear-shaped]
    #27211830 - 02/17/21 07:28 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I've tested agar up to an hour at pressure and it did fine. Also using malt as the nutrient source.

InvisibleBendito
    #27212079 - 02/17/21 10:02 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

:threadmonitor:

--------------------
- El BENdito

Si hablas español envíame un mensaje privado para calquier cosa que necesites.
Sé cultivar y estoy aprendiendo español, así que me gustaría practicar.
¡Muchas gracias, señores! ¡Buena suerte con sus esfuerzos!

OfflineQayyn Eb-Ur
Vagabond
Male User Gallery

Loc: East of the valley
    #27219121 - 02/21/21 07:49 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

verum subsequentis said:
No. Unless the plate is a clone and you don't want fresh genetics.

Just snatch that sucker and set her on a fresh plate.

Most avoid the edges but not all of us. I personally avoid them (usually)

Noted. Thanks.

--------------------
If you see Lil'ktu then tell her I'm sorry.
Texas Climate and Soil Data

Offlinetedoro
ToadStool Tender
Male

Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: Qayyn Eb-Ur]
    #27219202 - 02/21/21 08:37 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I've always wondered... when hydrating coir, when you all are super impatient and lettin things slide, how large of a clump of coir do you allow in your tub, without busting it into pieces? An inch diameter? Smaller, larger?

--------------------
--------------------
Deep pour soft agar plates-->bags of WBS-->Low Profile Monos
Clean spawn thread | Put a thermometer on your PC

Invisiblefilthyknees
no coincidence
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: tedoro]
    #27219647 - 02/22/21 06:55 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Well I never measured but you will definitely notice if your coir didn't have enough time to expand because once the tub is level and on the shelf the dry coir continues to expand and your tub will develop big lumps from the expansion.

So ideally you give it ample time to hydrate ending with no chunks at all, or suffer from the lumps.

I'm not gonna lie and say I check every square inch of coir for chunks so they get through.

--------------------
But if you're in a hurry, and really got to go
If you're in a hurry, might have to find out slow
That it's one thing to try and another to fly
You get there quicker just a step at a time
It's one thing to bark, another to bite
The show ain't over till you pack up at night

Offlinetedoro
ToadStool Tender
Male

Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: filthyknees]
    #27219661 - 02/22/21 07:08 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I do an improved bucket tek... and the coir ends up fully hydrated, it just need breaking loose, so to speak. I'm pretty sure these un broken clumps are the last areas for my tubs to colonize, and I've wondered if my laziness on not breaking them entirely down has caused some problems. I let a few 1" clumps exist, but I try to break up anything larger.

--------------------
--------------------
Deep pour soft agar plates-->bags of WBS-->Low Profile Monos
Clean spawn thread | Put a thermometer on your PC

seeker of truth

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: tedoro]
    #27220192 - 02/22/21 12:01 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

InvisibleGuerrilla
Bumbaclart

Loc: United Kingdom Flag
    #27220218 - 02/22/21 12:22 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

How many qts of water in a 23qt presto on a 3 hour bag run?

--------------------
Being pissed on does not make you a real man.

OfflineNootmuskaat
Stranger

Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: Guerrilla]
    #27220249 - 02/22/21 12:41 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

When to abort? I've made my second shoebox, 2 actually. While my first two pints of spawn smelled very mushy and are growing great, these 2 smelled kinda sus and sweet. Had some wet spots as well, so it's obviously bacterial. I know most people spawned bacterial jars with success. One smelled mostly shrooms with a little sweet, so I spawned it separately. The other one however had an overpowering sweet smell, with a faint mushy smell.

I spawned both, it could yield, it could not yield. But I wouldn't want my room invested with mould spores. What would be the first sign or signs where I should consider aborting it? Like when there's no growth in 3 days, when there's sus growth, etc?

seeker of truth

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: Guerrilla]
    #27221363 - 02/23/21 12:40 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Guerrilla said:
How many qts of water in a 23qt presto on a 3 hour bag run?

IF the weight jiggles a lot it's loosing water. To avoid loosing water over longer runs, glue quarters or something similar to the top of the weight (dead ass center) to allow yourself to maintain pressure without jiggling. This way you can just fill as normal (barely covering the trivet) and not run out of water.

seeker of truth

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Official Trusted Cultivator Q&A Thread - Anyone Can Ask, Only TCs Can Answer! [Re: Nootmuskaat]
    #27221366 - 02/23/21 12:43 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Nootmuskaat said:
When to abort? I've made my second shoebox, 2 actually. While my first two pints of spawn smelled very mushy and are growing great, these 2 smelled kinda sus and sweet. Had some wet spots as well, so it's obviously bacterial. I know most people spawned bacterial jars with success. One smelled mostly shrooms with a little sweet, so I spawned it separately. The other one however had an overpowering sweet smell, with a faint mushy smell.

I spawned both, it could yield, it could not yield. But I wouldn't want my room invested with mould spores. What would be the first sign or signs where I should consider aborting it? Like when there's no growth in 3 days, when there's sus growth, etc?

A little mold sporulation isn't as dangerous as some believe. Just watch it and watch for anything to change colors. If it starts going green you got mold. It's not even really necessary to toss but most get it out of the grow room just to play it safe. If mold sets in before the first pins, you probably aren't going to get much out of it anyway. If the pins are already in and mold shows, I generally move it to the garage and let it finish.

OfflineNootmuskaat
Stranger

#27221456 - 02/23/21 02:32 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

verum subsequentis said:
Quote:

Nootmuskaat said:

A little mold sporulation isn't as dangerous as some believe. Just watch it and watch for anything to change colors. If it starts going green you got mold. It's not even really necessary to toss but most get it out of the grow room just to play it safe. If mold sets in before the first pins, you probably aren't going to get much out of it anyway. If the pins are already in and mold shows, I generally move it to the garage and let it finish.

Thanks! The grains in both tubs are fuzzing up in half a day, so far so good. Living in a students room though, so I only have my room to grow. What would you do when you can't really isolate a shoebox? Best I can do is put it a few meters further and harvest in the bathroom, in case the first flush comes but with some mold.

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck