Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Marasmius oreades?
    #2599509 - 04/24/04 11:20 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Does anyone have information regarding the cultivation of this species, or possibly experience?

--------------------
To give is to live...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Marasmius oreades? [Re: ATWAR]
    #2599602 - 04/24/04 11:49 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Ive never tried, but as it is one of the most common mushrooms in southern Australia, ive never made too much effort. Apparently it can be as simple as germinating some spores, mixing the agar with sterile water and squirting it around your grassy backyard - and then let the rings appear...

--------------------

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Re: Marasmius oreades? [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #2599776 - 04/25/04 12:46 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Actually, I have transplanted them from a small patch in my yard to a flower garden by simply placing a cap there (it was only about 50 yards away, and I know they can spread great distances so who knows). But I was thinking more along the lines of alternative substrates for artificial cultivation, perhaps even indoors. They grow here and there in my yard, I would much rather have a larger fruiting bed. And being the experimenter I am, indoor cultivation of this species would be interesting. Digging through my prints the prospect just hit me.

It's just which direction do I go with substrates? Is this mushroom Mycorrhizal (with grass), Parasitic (with grass, it does tend to die back but I have read this may be due to loss of nutrients), or Saprophytic? If Saprophytic, I assume it would be Tertiary, as it grows in the sandy topsoil here that can barely support grass growth. But as with other species, an optimum range of suitable substrates can be used (with varying degrees of effectiveness). Just wanting input on what would be a good start before I dig up a patch of my yard...

--------------------
To give is to live...

InvisiblePinback
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
    #2600034 - 04/25/04 02:57 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

IME, the spores will germinate readily on standard PDYA. The mycelium will grow a bit on grains (millet + rye), but later slow off to a stop. It will also grow in 3% honey water after a pretty long lag period. It does not grow well at all on sterilized straw. This is mostly one-time observations though, and could very well vary!

The mycelium is white and non-rhizomorphic, and sometimes form grayish "hills" or "lumps" on agar, which does not look like primordia. It doesn't smell much on grain, but when you case it, it smells exactly like the mushrooms after a few days! My casings later smelled sour, probably from the incomplete grain colonization, and was threwn out.

Currently I'm trying it on verm soaked in a 4% potato flakes suspension with different additions (yeast and plant fertilizer), but it's still to early to show any results.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Re: Marasmius oreades? [Re: Pinback]
    #2620283 - 04/30/04 07:26 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

interesting - ill give it a go this season - they should be up in a week or so here...Ill post pics when i have streaked them

--------------------

InvisiblePinback
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2707956 - 05/20/04 07:01 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Out of four jars with 20 g vermiculite, 50 ml water and

a) 2.0 g glucose
b) 2.0 g potato flakes
c) b + 0.5 g dry yeast
d) b + 0.5 g liquid plant fertilizer,

c seems to be doing best.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

#2714181 - 05/22/04 08:29 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

how does the mycelium look? How do you eat these by the way?

--------------------

InvisiblePinback
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Marasmius oreades? [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #2718004 - 05/23/04 10:51 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Multispore inoculation on agar:

Isolate on agar, note the weird looking lump:

On millet + rye:

I've only tried them fried on a sandwich, they were pretty yummy. Here are some recipes. The "fairy ring cookies" sound interesting...

OfflineMycena
mycoexplorer
Loc: indonesia
    #2721276 - 05/24/04 12:43 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

retracted

Edited by Mycena (06/03/04 02:51 AM)

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Re: Marasmius oreades? [Re: Mycena]
    #2721714 - 05/24/04 06:38 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I believe that lump is an aggregate. Pinback, it's great you are trying this species as well. I have spore prints, but I am waiting for them to pop up in my yard, then I will clone one. I think it would be interesting to cultivate this species (my yard can't support me). As for cooking them, everyone has different tastes. I don't think I would like a mushroom cookie, and some people hate mushroom soup.

--------------------
To give is to live...

InvisiblePinback
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3228006 - 10/07/04 02:00 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I browsed through "The biology and cultivation of edible mushrooms" by Chang today, and found some (very) short notes on Marasmius oreades cultivation. It said they had been cultivated on horse and cow manure, and that a cold shock was used as a fruiting trigger. The patches lasted for several years. The reference given was, if I remember correctly, "Research on mushrooms", vol. 2, 1922, by Bullard.

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#3228560 - 10/07/04 03:08 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

How is it going with your Marasmius oreades cultivation attempts ?

InvisiblePinback
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Marasmius oreades? [Re: ragadinks]
    #3235961 - 10/09/04 08:51 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Due to other activities (and laziness), nothing yet... but I will try to make some new tests soon.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #3242695 - 10/11/04 11:39 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Does anyone know if this species also contains marasmiac acid?

Offlinemadman2001
Stranger
    #12571474 - 05/16/10 03:56 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I have recently seen some mycelium growing on very small bits of wood covered by 2 inches of sandy soil. This species is called dew shrooms in my country because it fruits heavily during the early hours of the day right at sunrise when dew is in abundance. It also fruits right after a good warm rain. Usually in summer when it stars to rain the temperature drops so this could be the fruiting trigger, and it also fruits after especially cold nights during the summer. I have made several attempts to cultivate this shroom on a patch in my yard but all have failed. I used a mixture of cow dung and straw unpasteurized. I am now trying to transplant wild mycelium.
As far as cooking these I can say they are very very good, they are tender, and they are better fresh. I usually prepare them in a stew but you can just sprinkle some salt on the caps and put them on a grill gills up for a couple of minutes but careful not to burn them. They are used for diabetes in my country.

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #15929945 - 03/10/12 04:01 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Pinback said:
Multispore inoculation on agar:

Isolate on agar, note the weird looking lump:

On millet + rye:

I've only tried them fried on a sandwich, they were pretty yummy. Here are some recipes. The "fairy ring cookies" sound interesting...

Bump, I've cloned this a couple of times, didn't get it to fruit, but would like to add that the mycelium I had aged to the color of the peach colored mycelium on this dish

on both grain and agar.

I found this thread, cause I was looking for instances of M. oreades cultivation after looking at this post,

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/15929395#15929395

I'd like to culture Collybia fusipes seems very similar.

:cheers:

Offlineohkw
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: Austria Flag
Re: Marasmius oreades? [Re: falcon]
    #27859696 - 07/12/22 08:35 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Did anyone find a good agar recipe in the meantime? Scientific literature didn't provide much information on this species, beside it apparently being thiamine heteroptrophic. What I found in my approaches so far is that petone does not seem to be a good nitrogen source, but urea seems to work. Still, it grows way to slow on agar. My assunmtion is, that malt extract or dextrose is not an ideal carbon source, currently trying potato-starch.

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Marasmius oreades? [Re: ohkw]
    #27860382 - 07/12/22 08:13 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

I used PDYA and PSucroseYA for clones, grew well on that.

Are you growing a clone or did you start from spores?

Offlineohkw
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Marasmius oreades? [Re: falcon] * 1
    #27860631 - 07/13/22 01:11 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Actually both. Got three clones from different fruit bodies and two plates from germinated spores. What startles me is that 2 clones are plain white while the third shows some browning. The ones that stem from spores also seem to show a little browning. Either I got two different types of fungus, or the browning is caused by a contamination or its just a phenotypical difference.

The last picture is a plate with germinated spores. I already transferred small pieces from the borders of the mycelium to new  plates to see if it is plain white then, or still shows the browning

Offlineohkw
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Marasmius oreades? [Re: ohkw]
    #27863667 - 07/15/22 12:04 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Does anybody have an idea what the "Murray's medium" quoted in this article could be?

https://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/pubs/ja/1965/ja_1965_filer_001.pdf

The growth on agar is nowwhere near the 1-5 mm/d as reported in the article. I need to try potato powder as potato starch does not seem to do it.

Also first tries to grow it on flax (linen) litter did not really work out. Hopefully it does not really have to be grass roots... especially living ones.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder