Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblematts
matts

Stumped on Stumps... Stump question
    #2717577 - 05/23/04 06:18 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Stumped on Stumps... Stump question [Re: matts]
    #2717639 - 05/23/04 07:36 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

0 Oaks are Ok to use for just about anything that grows on logs.

1 Anything thats been dead a while is probably contaminated with other fungi. if they look good something really agressive should grow like oyster, shitake, or lions mane this is just a guess though.

2 Don't know.

3. You can make the stumps any size.

4. I've used the shavings left from chainsaw to grow reishi and sawdust and chainsaw shavings to grow beech.

Give it a try, Hen of the Woods and Brick Caps are two excellent edibles that love to grow on oaks.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #2717759 - 05/23/04 09:06 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

matts said:
0. Are oaks ok to use?

oak is almost the perfect log for most mushrooms that are considered a woodlover, white oak has a higher content of tannin, a form of wild yeast, I dont know if this would be a benefit or a hinderance

Quote:

1. Could I use the dead oaks which have been dead for awhile? They are still in perfect condition... the inside looks good when chopped down, they just never produce leaves anymore... so they were chopped down while clearing out the land.

the best to use is trees that are felled within 4-6 months prior to innoculation, trees cut during the dormant winter monts being the most duitable as they contain less water at the time of cutting and will also retain the outer bark for several years

Quote:

2. Could I use the dead oaks which have been burnt?

sapwood is the first and easiest part for mycelium to colonize, make a radial cut at one end of the log to see how far it in it has been charred, they are usable primarily of chipped and used for spawn but can be used as a log if they are covered with plastic, without the bark they will lose moisture fast

these are most suitable for chipping and using as spawn or even fruiting from a bed

Quote:

3. How big should I chainsaw the stumps to be? They are maybe 2 feet in diameter. Would it be OK to make them only a few feet long?

it really depends o the mushroom, some logs you'll want to bury horizontaly so that it wicks moisture others you want to bury 25-30% verticaly for the same purpose... the first you can cut it into 8 or 12 foot sections, the second a 4-6 foot log is easier to handle... if cutting into smaller sections like 2 feet you'll want them off of the ground to prevent other fungi from invading through the large exposed surfaces as well as to retain water... parafin wax can be used for sealing the ends...

Quote:

4. To make spawn, would I be able to just chainsaw them and gather all of the sawdust.. and put it in autoclave bags?

that would work fine, make sure you're using a sharp blade and if its possible to cut over a tarp it will make collecting easier... I would in a similar case also try and use a wood chipper and a splitter to obtain more... it may actualy be a little better to do a large bed of chipped wood with most of the logs

Quote:

Also, could you recommend some good edibles for use on oaks? Something I can do... keep in mind that I'm a complete newbie, and mildly retarded.

Shitaki, is an excellent resale mushroom, Enoki is also a prized mushroom and if grown indoors looks like a straw mushroom. slender and pale and outdoors grows large and red/brown with a white underside... enoki are considered one of the most delicious... The grow in live timber as well as fallen trees

I'd like to trade yo a few supplies and possibly an enoki culture (as soon as I find the tree again)... I'm gonna need a few cultures in the near future

Invisiblematts
matts

Re: Stumped on Stumps... Stump question [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #2719902 - 05/23/04 07:15 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #2720176 - 05/23/04 07:58 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

there are some mushrooms that grow on pine, I'm not sure about types or edibility but in the northern part of georgia there are very few...

if the pines are a reasonable size you can call a forestry service and have them removed... you may even be able to get a trade for some oak Georgia now has a pine bark beetle and most pines will be going down before they are infected...

I'm not sure how well palm would work, its a very fiberous wood but also reasonable dense... you may want to try it out...

OfflineMycena
mycoexplorer
Loc: indonesia
    #2721225 - 05/24/04 12:17 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

retracted

Edited by Mycena (06/03/04 03:01 AM)

Invisiblealpiner
goober

Loc: USA
    #2745164 - 05/29/04 08:34 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

morels in the wild tend to like areas that have been burnt not sure why
oak is the prefered wood for shitaki
good luck!

Invisiblematts
matts

Re: Stumped on Stumps... Stump question [Re: alpiner]
    #2745287 - 05/29/04 10:02 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

OfflineMycena
mycoexplorer
Loc: indonesia
    #2746414 - 05/30/04 11:07 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

retracted

Edited by Mycena (06/03/04 02:21 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies