Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
No way to check the heat of my dung
    #2717472 - 05/23/04 03:53 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

So, I am stocked with dung and I thought the baking pan thing would be cool , but the more I learn I realize I should be boiling my poo.

My question is this.....without a way to check the heat can I just heat it up to boiling, lower it below that and cook for an hour???????(or just bring it close to boiling.....what does water boil at???, I forget? 100c?? 80??

"Put the straw and/or dung into a pillow case, submerge in pot with water with a weight on top at 170?F for one hour.
Don?t exceed 170?F, check the temperature frequently with a thermometer.
After 1 hour take the pillow case out and use your oven rack on top of the sink. Put it on that and let it drain for several hours. When it has cooled down somewhat , give it a squeeze, as hard as you can. Then fluff it up and leave on the rack to drain/dry out a bit more.
After it?s cold (might take several hours) you can spawn it. "

thats what got me thinking about it.\

And the reason I considered the oven sterilization was that at least I could watch the heat level. :sad:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepeachy
Transientpsychonaut

Loc: Preserved deep within the...
Re: No way to check the heat of my dung [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #2717486 - 05/23/04 04:11 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Water boiled at sea-level, boils at 100 C.
170F = 76C, If you've no access to a thermometer (I've been in those shoes lol!) I'd suggest one of two options:

First (and best) option: place your poop into a smaller pot and partially submerge this pot in a bigger pot but make sure it's not resting directly on the bottom of the bigger pot (find something to lift it at least a centimeter above the bottom), and put this on the stove. Allow the (outer) pot to boil at will and leave it for an hour+. Your inner pot like this should not boil but lightly simmer, at least it did for me.

Second (lazy option) place poop in pot and gradually turn up temperature on stove a few notches every 15 to 20 minutes and eyeball it carefully to ensure it doesnt reach a boil. Possibly start with just water in the pot until you're reached your desired simmering then add the poop. I've not tried this, but with care - could work.

Having said all that I know there's a lot of people saying boiling kills good nutes, but heck I don't think accidentally letting it boil for a few mins is going to mean the end of the world.

Good luck :smile:

--------------------
"Time bends, space is boundless. It squashes a man's ego. I feel lonely. Tell me, though... does Man, that marvel of the universe, that glorious paradox who sent me to the stars, still make war against his brother? Keep his neighbor's children starving?"

Edited by peachy (05/23/04 04:12 AM)

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2717528 - 05/23/04 05:08 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

DONT BOIL IT!

I have to tell ya that if you let it boil it wont be the end of the world,but it will be the end of your chance at success with the poo in question!

Boiling water is a constant 212deg F during while in the phase change. At that temp you are definately going to kill all beneficial microbes that will protect the poo for the next couple of weeks.  You will basically be sterilizing instead of pasteurizing,and once you take that poo out of the  oven it will be like your naked ass being smeared with honey and staked to an ant-hill! Contams will infest that shit and you will grow stuff you never imagined!LOL  OK,I think I have sufficiently made my point. (maybe a little overboard,but I dont want to see you fail)

Having said all that here is what I suggest you do. Wet your substrate until it is totally saturated,but not soupy or like sloppy mudd.  Place it into a baking dish of some kind like a disposeable foil pan,or casserole dish or something and cover it with foil.
Pre-heat the oven to around 180deg and put it in there for about 2 to 2.5 hrs. The thing is you want it to reach a temp of at least 155 all the way through and stay there for at least an hour so this should do it for ya. Let it cool and mix it with your spawn and inccubate.  Pasteurization gives you a two week window so make sure to put enough spawn in to ensure total colonization before then. About 1/6 spawn to substrate goes really fast IMO.

If you dont have an oven then you are just going to have to get yourself a candy thermometer from the grocery store for about five bucks and use the pot on the stove method you mentioned. Without a thermometer you cant be sure that you arent reaching temps that are too high using this method. The post up there that recommended slowly raising the temp and not letting it boil is not the best advice. Water will slowly rise in temp until it boils a 212degF. It wont boil at 211 or lower so it is possible ,and very likely ,that you will reach these temps and ruin the process. (it will boil at lower temps if you are in the mountains due to less atmospheric pressure)
The double boiler method peachy mentioned might work,but Im not sure what temp the water in the pot will reach on top of boiling water so if I were you I would invest in the candy thermometer.

Good Luck!!
MYKEY :jamming:

Offlinepeachy
Transientpsychonaut

Loc: Preserved deep within the...
Re: No way to check the heat of my dung [Re: Mykey]
    #2717550 - 05/23/04 05:24 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Lol! A well made point MyKey, I'll remember that for the future. I guess I was only thinking from the point of view of the nutritional value of the poop. Good thing you were here to correct that!

The double pot method definitely works, however, I've not tested it with a thermometer to check the temperature difference between pots. Something I'll do the next time I've need to pasteurize something.

--------------------
"Time bends, space is boundless. It squashes a man's ego. I feel lonely. Tell me, though... does Man, that marvel of the universe, that glorious paradox who sent me to the stars, still make war against his brother? Keep his neighbor's children starving?"

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: No way to check the heat of my dung [Re: peachy]
    #2717558 - 05/23/04 05:33 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah,do that check on the temps peachy. I have wondered myself if the double boiler method would create ideal temp,but am just too lazy to do it and check the temp. I think it would be great info for people who dont have a thermometer to check temps with.

Have a good one,
MYKEY

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: No way to check the heat of my dung [Re: Mykey]
    #2717575 - 05/23/04 06:15 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Place it into a baking dish of some kind like a disposeable foil pan,or casserole dish or something and cover it with foil.
Pre-heat the oven to around 180deg and put it in there for about 2 to 2.5 hrs. The thing is you want it to reach a temp of at least 155 all the way through and stay there for at least an hour so this should do it for ya. Let it cool and mix it with your spawn and inccubate. Pasteurization gives you a two week window so make sure to put enough spawn in to ensure total colonization before then.

Im confused!, wouldnt putting it in a baking pan be sterialization ???? not Pasteurization???????? :confused: ?????????????

Is it considered Pasteurization because of the lower temp???????????

I would love to try the baking pan method , is it really not so bad?(some have acted like its the wrong way to go
I would love to try it though, plus in the oven I know the temps :smirk: So just wet my poo,(so that its wet but not soaking wet and dripping) throw it in for 2 hours at 180F, cool, and spawn.?  :thumbup:
Thats it?
( seems werid that grains have to be PCed at 15psi and poo can be baked and boiled)

--------------------

Invisiblematts
matts

#2717581 - 05/23/04 06:21 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag