Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleAtticus9
 User Gallery

Any takers on my microscopy?! (Pics of home mss and grown agar spore print) * 2
    #27175004 - 01/28/21 05:45 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Some pictures I couldn’t focus well sorry but I’m trying to figure out if I truly have pan ant from home made spore syringe (mistakenly thought was pan cy) and agar dish or is it Cubensis or vice verse??  I just don’t know anymore my eyes are bleeding from researching so I thought I’d try to get advice. (Yes, I’m a novice)

Agar dish made from spore print

Drop of Homemade spore syringe

--------------------
“Gaia’s mycelium motherboard.. geometric electrical pathways beneath dancing, feasting and synchronizing with the trees..”

——————————————————————————————————————-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Any takers on my microscopy?! (Pics of home mss and grown agar spore print) [Re: Atticus9]
    #27175504 - 01/29/21 02:43 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I would guess Psilocybe cubensis due to the thick spore walls, brownish color and subhexagonal shape of the spores.

How are you doing your microscopy?  There's quite a bit of chromatic aberration in the photo.

What kind of scope is it, what objective, what camera and most importantly, what exactly are you doing to prepare the slide?

InvisibleAtticus9
 User Gallery

Re: Any takers on my microscopy?! (Pics of home mss and grown agar spore print) [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #27175833 - 01/29/21 09:04 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Thank you for responding @alan. I was prob way too hasty posting this because I absolutely didn’t research enough about properly preparing the slides, medium, etc.. prior. I used my kids lower quality microscope brand name IQcrew early explorer series 120x-1200x. I only used the cover slide on mycelium and used one drop of spore syringe then cover slide. I used my iPhone 12x max to take the picture at top of eyepiece. I heard using oil is a possibility vs hard to get KOH? I’m just trying to figure out what 2 strains I’m dealing with and have already spawned one to sub about 4 days ago.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Any takers on my microscopy?! (Pics of home mss and grown agar spore print) [Re: Atticus9]
    #27176140 - 01/29/21 12:13 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

The lower quality microscope objectives explains why there's chromatic aberation in the photo. 

Cover slide on mycelium?  What did you do for that?

What I recommend is starting with a clean microscope slide, putting the spores on there - if they aren't in solution add a drop of water or KOH.  Then put a cover slip down, press down on the coverslip firmly and then scope it.

You don't really need KOH - it is good for some color change reactions, and it helps rehydrate dried material.  You can rehydrate with alcohol, then let that almost dry and add a drop of water.  Or just use water.

KOH is pretty cheap, you can order a lifetime supply online for around $10.

The oil goes on top of the coverslip, and touches the objective.  It's only for use with objectives that are meant for oil - they will say oil on the side.  Usually just the 100x objective.

-Alan

InvisibleAtticus9
 User Gallery

Re: Any takers on my microscopy?! (Pics of home mss and grown agar spore print) [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #27176921 - 01/29/21 07:38 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Thank you Alan. ! 🔬

InvisibleAtticus9
 User Gallery

#27176922 - 01/29/21 07:39 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Oh and I used 600x objective.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
    #27177004 - 01/29/21 08:30 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Objectives go up to 100x, and the total magnification is calculated by multiplying the objective magnification by the eyepiece magnification.

OfflineCyonic
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27179567 - 01/31/21 03:18 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I can tell by the mushroom mnpic alone that it's a cubie

I'm impressed you got such good shots with a toy microscope by putting your phone up to it.

InvisibleApostleofAzathoth
lunatic wielding pressure cooker
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the PNW
    #27187306 - 02/05/21 01:24 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Those spores are not Pan cyan, but could definitely be Psilocybe cubensis.

Cool to see someone else getting started with microscopy at the same time as I am. What microscope are you using? (Whoops, just saw your answer to this. How do you like the IQCrew?)

Edited by ApostleofAzathoth (02/05/21 01:25 AM)

OfflineHotcross
Stranger

#27188327 - 02/05/21 04:35 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

The photos are so rad!

Offlinenektar61S
Into SporePlay
Female Unread Journal User Gallery

Loc: Cube Satellite
Re: Any takers on my microscopy?! (Pics of home mss and grown agar spore print) [Re: Hotcross]
    #27188343 - 02/05/21 04:47 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

It's hard to tell. There is so much chromatic aberration (and other issues) in that scope.

Always good to see people getting into scopes though.

My avatar is some cube spores I took. There are better, larger, clearer ones in the link in my sig line.

Yours look a little different than mine, but in the ballpark of cube spores I've seen. And there is variation between samples of anything organic, even among the same species and variety. 

I haven't seen any other species of spores under the scope yet.

I took my photos with a 300 dollar generic Chinese 1000x scope, oil for the 1000x, none for the 400x, and used a cheap adapter for a DSLR to get good pix.

Before that, I tried taking a lot of scope pix with a phone, handheld, but wasn't happy with the results.

--------------------
-NEW? Start here.

Edited by nektar61 (02/09/21 02:55 AM)

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Any takers on my microscopy?! (Pics of home mss and grown agar spore print) [Re: Cyonic] * 2
    #27189199 - 02/06/21 07:10 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Cyonic said:
I can tell by the mushroom mnpic alone that it's a cubie

I'm impressed you got such good shots with a toy microscope by putting your phone up to it.

You can get great images holding your phone up to the eyepiece. I get better picture with my camera phone than with my DSLR and a mount. The DSLR makes fish eye pictures. The phone does this

--------------------
Welcome to the Advanced Mycology Forum

Bod's Library    Article behind a paywall? I can try to get it for you

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Any takers on my microscopy?! (Pics of home mss and grown agar spore print) [Re: bodhisatta] * 1
    #27189998 - 02/06/21 04:07 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I use both a Nikon Z7 DSLR and Google Pixel phone to take cell phone pictures, and I can't tell much difference in quality.  The DSLR does make it easier to do image stacking for depth of field.

Offlinenektar61S
Into SporePlay

#27190849 - 02/07/21 01:58 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
I use both a Nikon Z7 DSLR and Google Pixel phone to take cell phone pictures, and I can't tell much difference in quality.  The DSLR does make it easier to do image stacking for depth of field.

Speaking of depth of field, check out my short video of a trip through an oil bubble filled with cube spores;
https://www.reddit.com/r/shrooms/comments/j6bxyi/a_trip_through_a_cube_spore_bubble_400x/

I dig your pix, Alan. Looked at a bunch last night. You're the real deal.

--------------------
-NEW? Start here.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Any takers on my microscopy?! (Pics of home mss and grown agar spore print) [Re: nektar61]
    #27196995 - 02/10/21 08:56 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Whoa that is a cool oil bubble!!!

Offlinenektar61S
Into SporePlay

#27197105 - 02/10/21 10:26 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Whoa that is a cool oil bubble!!!

Thank you.

As you can probably guess, that was a mistake, tiny drop of oil got on sample while putting immersion oil on cover the slip cover for 1000x. I'm not very experienced with microscopes.

Next thing I'll do, spore photo wise, is some focus stacking. My photos look good, but only a tiny layer is in focus.

--------------------
-NEW? Start here.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Any takers on my microscopy?! (Pics of home mss and grown agar spore print) [Re: nektar61]
    #27207325 - 02/15/21 12:17 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

You might not need to focus stack if you can press down firmly on the cover slip to force them all into the same focal plane.

Try it though, might work well.

Offlinenektar61S
Into SporePlay

#27212364 - 02/18/21 04:40 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
You might not need to focus stack if you can press down firmly on the cover slip to force them all into the same focal plane.

Really? Do you have a link to a spore pic taken like that?

I know you know your stuff, but at 1000 x my focal length is tiny, seems like about the thickness of one spore.

--------------------
-NEW? Start here.

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Any takers on my microscopy?! (Pics of home mss and grown agar spore print) [Re: nektar61] * 2
    #27212371 - 02/18/21 04:58 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Press hard on the cover without breaking it

--------------------
Welcome to the Advanced Mycology Forum

Bod's Library    Article behind a paywall? I can try to get it for you

Offlinenektar61S
Into SporePlay

Re: Any takers on my microscopy?! (Pics of home mss and grown agar spore print) [Re: bodhisatta]
    #27212852 - 02/18/21 11:08 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:

Press hard on the cover without breaking it

Thank you. Will try that.

--------------------
-NEW? Start here.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag