Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSanAmsterdam
Stranger
Substrate mycelium stops with colonising and starts premature fruiting
    #27167271 - 01/24/21 01:23 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Hello people,

It's my first post on this forum and I hope somebody can help me out. I've setup a small operation, as a first time grower on an attic. My plan is to have an Urban farm in my city later this year. I use this space to learn the treats of growing mushrooms.

But I encounter a problem with my substrate. It's not getting contaminations but that the bags starting to develop fruits before the substrate is even fully colonised. I

I am using the mastersmix and the hardwood supplemented wheatbran mix. But both have the same behavior in too early fruiting.

I am just curious what the potential things are, that I am doing wrong, that stalls the growth of the mycelium.

Just an indication I grow several species, but I notice that the oystermushrooms like the kings, yellow and pink are jumpstarting a lot. Any tips or checkist(s)?

My shiitakes are not affected and seem to colonise fully before pinning.

Thanks a lot

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedeadmandave
Slime
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Substrate mycelium stops with colonising and starts premature fruiting [Re: SanAmsterdam]
    #27167351 - 01/24/21 02:18 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

There are a couple things i can think of for you to double check.

Is your spawn clean? notice any metabolites, funny smells or excess water?

Are your bags fully sterilized? (at least 2.5 hours at 15psi)

Is your water content correct?

are your colonization temps consistent?

Are you growing lions mane?

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginia, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Substrate mycelium stops with colonising and starts premature fruiting [Re: deadmandave]
    #27167527 - 01/24/21 04:18 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

:whathesaid:

My guess would be as deadmandave said either your water content is off or your bags are not clean. Mushrooms will sometimes try and fruit before they are fully colonized if they are contaminated in an attempt to try and drop spores before they get overrun with said contaminate.

If your water content is off the mycelium will colonize what it can and if it cannot colonize the rest of the sub because it has to much water in it the mycelium thinks it has colonized everything and will fruit. because in the mycelium's mind it is fully colonized.

Check my sig for how to get the proper water content in your sub.

OfflineSanAmsterdam
Stranger
Re: Substrate mycelium stops with colonising and starts premature fruiting [Re: SHROOMSISAY01]
    #27168471 - 01/25/21 05:31 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Hi,

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I can work with this.

Is your spawn clean? notice any metabolites, funny smells or excess water?
Yes, I had issues of bad spawn and lost many bags because of that. But I tackled that issue with a new way of creating my spawn and steady moisture content.

Are your bags fully sterilized? (at least 2.5 hours at 15psi)
So I used a pressure cooker before but I currently have a self made stainless steel drum (atmospheric pressure) steriliser. I let the bags steam for 8 hours after reaching a constant steam. Normaly 12 hours in total. (40 bags of substrate in 300liters barrel) So maybe I should increase the sterilisation time???
I can't see any visible contaminents, ever.

Is your water content correct?
I think so but I will share my recipe which I converted to the metric system. Maybe I made a miscalcuation here.
1020 gram hardwood pellets
312 gram wheatbran
36 gram gypsum
2040 ml water

I think this is the first thing I need to address. It's all happening on an attic. Temperature fluctuates immensely in this bad insulated area. So temperatures can really drop or peak in my attic. Also I still don't know what the perfect conditions are for an incubation room. Is there somewhere a checklist?

Are you growing lions mane?
Also, but just started with it. But they also have some pinning/fruiting signs. I mainly have issues with the oyster mushrooms not colonising fully before pinning and premature fruiting

If there are more tips to setup up a steady incubation room, I would really  appreciate it.

Thanks!

Offlinedeadmandave
Slime
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Substrate mycelium stops with colonising and starts premature fruiting [Re: SanAmsterdam]
    #27168736 - 01/25/21 09:40 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

whats your new method of making spawn?

I would increase to 12 hours at temp in your steamer. 

Also recommend insulating the attic when you can. Insulation isnt too hard or expensive if you have the room for fiberglass paper faced rolls. if you need to maximize space in the attic you can use the foam boards. they install easy and theres no fiberglass but they can be expensive.

Edited by deadmandave (01/25/21 09:44 AM)

OfflineQuadman
Challenged
Male User Gallery

Loc: IL Flag
Re: Substrate mycelium stops with colonising and starts premature fruiting [Re: deadmandave]
    #27169338 - 01/25/21 03:12 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I think this is the first thing I need to address. It's all happening on an attic. Temperature fluctuates immensely in this bad insulated area. So temperatures can really drop or peak in my attic. Also I still don't know what the perfect conditions are for an incubation room. Is there somewhere a checklist?

Room temperature is usually adequate for most species 68-70° or thereabouts. Attic would be a poor place to incubate.

--------------------

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginia, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Substrate mycelium stops with colonising and starts premature fruiting [Re: Quadman]
    #27169595 - 01/25/21 05:52 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

There is only one way to know if your water content is correct. You have to test it. Once you get it right you just have to put the same amount of water in it each time...

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26632628

OfflineEsteban sandokan
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27213647 - 02/18/21 06:58 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

What system do you use for the gas exchange of the bags? Do you use mushbag or do you pierce the bag? If it is the latter, perhaps the perforations are too large or too many.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck