Home | Community | Message Board

North Spore
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Autoclave, Hot Plate, Impulse Sealer, Laminar Flow Hood, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Spawn Bags, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11  [ show all ]
Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Loc: ation
Trusted Cultivator
Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto *inoculation day update* * 4
    #27163702 - 01/22/21 04:37 PM (1 month, 11 days ago)

How to Prep Unsealed Spawn Bags

What up mush cult!
Seen lots of posts lately concerning bags and how to keep them from popping during the PC cycle, as well as
whether or not they should be sealed or not sealed before cooking, and whether or not to use tyvek etc inside the bag.

If you've asked any of these questions before, then this thread is for you! I will be documenting how I cook bags
in a 23qt presto, unsealed, no tyvek, 6 at a time as well as documenting their inoculation, as I don't use a sealer and instead use zip ties to close bags.

Aight, I start with Wheat prepped using this method:smirk:

Grain meant for bags is removed from the heat just a little bit early since bags cook longer and grains can get mushy if overhydrated.

Once the grain is dry on the outside, start filling your bags! I use .2 micron bags for spawn, and I use that red scoop and a canning funnel (fucking great tool)
to scoop roughly 4qt of grain per bag. I don't really measure but 2 of those scoops is a bit over a mycoquart.

I made enough bags for 2 presto 23qts, so 12 bags total. Fill all your bags then set them aside to do the gussets after.

I am extremely anal about my gussets. If they aint straight then I aint happy:lol:

Start by placing your bags with the gussets upright and the grain inside as level a possible

Line up your gussets and try to remove as much air from the bag as possible. Turn over your bag and try to remove as much
grain from the little triangles on the short side of the bag as you can to make lining up the gussets easier and allow the bag to sit flat.

Trust me this helps a lot.

Explaining the fold is a little difficult so the visual aids here really help.
Lay the top of your bag over so the filter is facing up. At this point you want to try to remove as much air as possible from the bag.
Bags need to be nearly void of air so the grain can properly sterilize and to minimize inflation during the cycle. Seriously, don't skimp on this!!

As you can see the gussets are perfectly lined up and most of the air has been removed from the bag. Now it's time for the accordion fold.

With the bag in the above position and the filter facing up, fold the bag towards you so the filter is now facing down and
the crease is nearly flush with the long side of the bag like so

Bag should look like this from a profile view

Now take the top of the bag and accordion fold it away from you so the bag looks like this. The filter will be sealed
between the bag and the accordion fold after the cook which will protect it from the elements.

Now set the bag aside, accordion fold down, that way the weight of the bag will help crease the fold and keep the accordion from unfolding. Now fold the rest of your bags and stack them in the same manner to be loaded.

12 bags, 2 prestos

Now it's time to load up the bags. Pick one up and the accordion fold should be nice and creased like so

So I do 3 levels of 2 bags side by side per presto. Put a trivet down with a couple jar rings under it then take a
bag and place it in the cooker. Take another bag and squeeze it in there next to the first bag. Now add water til it
comes a little less than halfway up the bags. level 1 should look like so

Now, to separate the bags from the walls of the pressure cooker which helps them not pop, place jar rings between
the walls of the cooker and the bags, and a single jar ring between the bags themselves

Place a trivet or plate over the 1st level

Do the 2nd level just like the 1st. I like to alternate the direction my bags face as it helps with stability of the stack, like a jenga tower.

Place a trivet over layer 2

Do the 3rd layer the same as the first 2

Now lay a plate or trivet on top of the 3rd level to stop the upper bags from inflating and blocking the vent. A little inflation is inevitable

Both PCs packed and ready to go. No towels necessary to fill voids and no tyvek slips.

I cook my bags for 3hrs minimum and often do 3.5hrs if I have the time. I also run it at near 17psi since I live at over 8000ft. If you live closer to sea level, just run it at 15psi to minimize over heating.

Once the cook is done, allow it to cool completely before opening. I like to do my cooks at night so that I can just
turn the stove off, go to bed, and wake up the next day to unload. You want to give at least a few hrs of cool down
so the PC can pull a proper vacuum and seal the bags.

When I open the PC the bags have slightly deformed but that's ok. They also shrunk quite a bit due to the vacuum

The top layer is pulled out and as you can see the gussets opening is completely sealed

Middle layer is less deformed since they had more weight on them and again gussets are sealed

In this photo you can see how the filter is sealed between the bag and the fold so it isn't exposed to the elements

Ok and the bottom layer of bags. Usually it's less deformed than the top two and again the gussets are sealed

After unloading both prestos, I take all my bags and stack them carefully, so as to not disturb the seal, into a tub with a lid to be saved
until I've cooked all the bags I need, in this case that's near 80 bags! They last just fine in the tub for the
few days it takes me to cook all the bags I need.

Bags are a daunting task and when they pop it can be a serious damper on your day and a whole 3hr cook wasted. This is how I do
my bags and out of the hundreds I run per year, I rarely have a popped bag. Seriously, maybe 1 or 2 total and usually
only because I let the PC get too hot.

Towels to fill empty space, bricks to elevate bags, sealing, etc are all unnecessary and only take up space that can
be filled by 2 more bags!

Hope this helps some of you and don't worry, I'll be back to update this thread once all bags are cooked, inoculated, and colonized! Thanks for following along!

--------------------
Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

Edited by natedawgnow (01/28/21 01:30 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: natedawgnow] * 1
    #27163723 - 01/22/21 04:49 PM (1 month, 11 days ago)

INOCULATION DAY
How to g2g to bags without a sealer

Sup. So the other day I took the tote of bags out to the tiny house where my hood currently resides. It's friggin cold in there so I work quick when I'm out there haha

I had 36 bags to do and I thought it would be a good idea to document how I do them. So without further ado...

I typically g2g 1 jar to 2 bags

Start by breaking up the master jar. Then wipe it down after it's nice and broken up. DO NOT  try to break it up after wiping it down, it will be slippery and possibly fly out of your hand :lol:

As you finish wiping it down, unscrew the lid until it is just seated and set it off to the side. Unscrewing it before the time comes just saves you from fumbling around infront of open bags when the time comes.

Now it's time to wipe down the bags. I start by wiping down the top and sides

Then start wiping down the folds of the bag but be careful not to break the seal!

I dont bother wiping down the actual gussets since they're sealed pretty tight.
I got my filter patch a little wet with Iso while wiping it down. Thats ok but try not to get it wet at all.

Now unfold the bag and pull the gussets up. You can see how well the vacuum is pulled by the pc in this pic

Turn the bag so the filter is facing the hood and run your fingers up the gussets on both sides to break the remaining seal and to separate them.

Now grab opposing corners and pull on them to open the gussets all the way. Exactly like opening a bag of popcorn

Now grab your master jar and remove the lid. I like to palm the lid in my left hand and pour with my right, but for this photo I put the lid down so I could take the pic with my left hand. I always pour from the side and slightly behind the bag so there is no chance of the jar getting between the bag and the filter face.

Now sometimes the bag is gonna wanna flop over or close on you, so I gently pull on a corner to open it more with my left hand as I pour. Just make sure not to put your hand over the bag opening.

Pour in a however much you want. I do 1 jar to 2 bags so I try to pour half a jar per bag. Recap the master jar and set it to the side for bag number 2.

Now for the zip ties. I keep mine on top of my hood for easy access

Start by taking the bag you just g2g'd to and bring the gussets inward (while keeping as much air in the bag as possible, the plenum is necessary) to a bundle or bunch like so

While doing this try not to get your hand over the opening of the bag and minimize your hand going between the bag and the filter. For this photo my hand is between the bag and filter so you can easily see what I mean by a bundle or bunch.

Then fold the top of the bag over

Now take your zip tie and zip tie the fold closed like so

Make sure to pull it as tight as possible. And there you have it

All 36 done the same way

It's so cold in here the bags cant stay. I store them in my house so they just sit on that shelf til I'm done with the g2g then they all get moved again.

Thanks for following, I'll update this thread with some mushrooms so you know it works :lol:

Edited by natedawgnow (01/28/21 01:27 PM)

Offlinesonoramo
Contaminant
Male User Gallery

Loc: California, baby! Flag
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: natedawgnow]
    #27163724 - 01/22/21 04:51 PM (1 month, 11 days ago)

"...in this case that's near 80 bags..."  You could start a separate thread on how to distribute the product from that many bags...  :takingnotes:

OfflineCulliganman360
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: sonoramo]
    #27163739 - 01/22/21 04:58 PM (1 month, 11 days ago)

Quote:

sonoramo said:
"...in this case that's near 80 bags..."  You could start a separate thread on how to distribute the product from that many bags...  :takingnotes:

:trollcop:

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: sonoramo]
    #27163745 - 01/22/21 05:01 PM (1 month, 11 days ago)

Quote:

sonoramo said:

I cook bags for more than just cubes :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineLand Trout
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: natedawgnow] * 2
    #27163798 - 01/22/21 05:23 PM (1 month, 11 days ago)

Thanks for writing this up Dawg

It wouldn’t be very hard to distribute that many bags.

--------------------

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: Land Trout]
    #27163815 - 01/22/21 05:31 PM (1 month, 11 days ago)

Pretty sure he was talkong about distributing mushrooms from that many bags.

AKA asking me to incriminate myself :kingcrankey:

Not cool, bro. Not cool

I use all my mushies as bait :fishing:

Trout love em

--------------------

OfflineLand Trout
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: natedawgnow]
    #27163835 - 01/22/21 05:40 PM (1 month, 11 days ago)

Just sayin the market for oysters and shiitake is pretty wide.

--------------------

Invisiblemushhead
I'm a teapot

Loc: Dimension J-889
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: Land Trout]
    #27163836 - 01/22/21 05:40 PM (1 month, 11 days ago)

:threadmonitor:
I'll be using this for oysters mainly.
Lions mane too :loveeyes:

Edited by mushhead (01/22/21 06:15 PM)

OfflineHide
I Have No Bung Hole
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#27163895 - 01/22/21 06:10 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

362 bags?

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: Land Trout] * 1
    #27163904 - 01/22/21 06:15 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

Quote:

Land Trout said:

I have an edible and medicinal mushroom business. We sell tinctures and whole fruits.
Currently stocked in 3 stores and organizing a local farmers market this spring in the town we just moved to:rockon:

--------------------

Invisiblemushhead
I'm a teapot

#27163914 - 01/22/21 06:17 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

Quote:

natedawgnow said:
Quote:

Land Trout said:

I have an edible and medicinal mushroom business. We sell tinctures and whole fruits.
Currently stocked in 3 stores and organizing a local farmers market this spring in the town we just moved to:rockon:

This is the dream right there.
It's what all my cultivation practice is leading me to.

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27163915 - 01/22/21 06:17 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

Is that your pic land trout? Would love an actual autoclave.

Working on a propane atmospheric steam sterilizer cause I dont have any electricity out
here. But damn running that many bags at once would be nice haha

--------------------

OfflineTormato
It’s OK!! I’m a Limo Driver!! 😁
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #27163936 - 01/22/21 06:25 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

Solid!! :rockon:

--------------------
Helpful Threads

The Shroomery Store

Tormato's Q&A Thread Post Questions Here or PM me!

"Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been." ~ Grateful Dead

Before you start...Do you have a Pressure Cooker and a Dehydrator? I highly recommend getting both!

Tormato's LAGM 2020

Come chat with me and other Trusted Cultivators and Trusted Identifiers on Shroomery Discord

Some cool videos I like to watch under the influence.

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: natedawgnow] * 1
    #27163939 - 01/22/21 06:26 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

Quote:

mushhead said:
Quote:

natedawgnow said:
Quote:

Land Trout said:

Start an LLC and just start growing mushies man. My first contract back a few years ago,
I just called fancy restaurants downtown, spoke to the chef, and asked if they had a mushroom supplier.

A vegan restaurant did but only for oysters and agaricus so I brought them a sample
of shiitake and lions mane and they loved em. It's that easy.

The tinctures are a but more niche but all you have to do is call local apothecaries
or health food stores and bring samples of your product, Certificates of analysis if you make claims about the content of something, etc.

File your taxes and youre good to go. Dont expect to make bank right out the gate though

Good luck man, starting my own business was the most rewarding decision I ever made

--------------------

OfflineLemgrub
Existence preceeds Essence
 User Gallery

#27163959 - 01/22/21 06:41 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

Good info, thanks a lot. The few bags I trial ran all contammed, so I've been waiting to try it again once I saw a good write-up on no preseal bags. :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisiblemushhead
I'm a teapot

#27163964 - 01/22/21 06:42 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

Quote:

natedawgnow said:
Quote:

mushhead said:
Quote:

natedawgnow said:
Quote:

Land Trout said:

Start an LLC and just start growing mushies man. My first contract back a few years ago,
I just called fancy restaurants downtown, spoke to the chef, and asked if they had a mushroom supplier.

A vegan restaurant did but only for oysters and agaricus so I brought them a sample
of shiitake and lions mane and they loved em. It's that easy.

The tinctures are a but more niche but all you have to do is call local apothecaries
or health food stores and bring samples of your product, Certificates of analysis if you make claims about the content of something, etc.

File your taxes and youre good to go. Dont expect to make bank right out the gate though

Good luck man, starting my own business was the most rewarding decision I ever made

I am as the mushroom is, very patient.
Once my process is more refined I'll follow your advice closely, seems like its a good route.

OfflineLand Trout
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#27163978 - 01/22/21 06:48 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

Quote:

natedawgnow said:
Is that your pic land trout? Would love an actual autoclave.

Working on a propane atmospheric steam sterilizer cause I dont have any electricity out
here. But damn running that many bags at once would be nice haha

No, I’m nowhere near that yet

--------------------

OfflineJarhead3521S
Grindin’
Male User Gallery

Loc: Amongst the pines
    #27164061 - 01/22/21 07:36 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

The update going to include the zip ties, I assume?  I’ll be looking for it, bags in a SAB are a real pain.  But this is good knowledge until then.

Edit: reading comprehension is important, disregard.

Edited by Jarhead3521 (01/22/21 07:40 PM)

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: Jarhead3521]
    #27164122 - 01/22/21 08:05 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

Yup yup. I'm cooking 12 more right now. Hopefully in a couple days I'll be ready for inoc and zip ties.
I use a hood. It's doable in a sab but not practical for much more than a couple bags

--------------------

InvisibleJust_A_Noob
Providing
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Trusted Cultivator
    #27164251 - 01/22/21 09:06 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

I’m listening

--------------------

Lead by example
Become the change you want in the world
Wide Mouth 1/2 Pint No-Pour TEK
TC Teks & Links

Offlinepureshrooming
feels like a stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: Just_A_Noob]
    #27164317 - 01/22/21 09:37 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

I'm assuming you are using gas to run your PC? When the cycle is done are you tapering the heat down at all to slowly reduce pressure or just turning the heat off and letting it cool on it's own? Running bags in a presto has been my white whale hands down. I've popped so many that opening it up and only seeing two popped is a relief. One thing I have not tried is jar rings separating the bags from each other and the sides so I'm going to give that a try tomorrow.

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: pureshrooming]
    #27164419 - 01/22/21 10:20 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

12 more ready to go into the PCs

@pureshroom- yes I'm using gas and no I dont taper down the heat. I just turn it off
and walk away. I highly highly recommend the jar rings dude. Seriously. They keep
the bags from expanding too much and they make a gap between the bag and PC wall which
really helps with minimizing popped grains from over heating and weakening the plastic
which leads to popped bags or extremely deformed bags. Good luck!

--------------------

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27164426 - 01/22/21 10:22 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

Another really important step is making sure as much air as possible is squeezed from your bags before accordion folding.

That trapped air leads to ballooning and also decreases the efficiency of the sterilization cycle.

You'll never be able to get it all out without a vacuum autoclave but get out
as much as possible

--------------------

OfflineMr. Mushie
    #27164556 - 01/22/21 11:41 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

:goodday:

Offlinesonoramo
Contaminant
Male User Gallery

Loc: California, baby! Flag
    #27164569 - 01/22/21 11:49 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

Quote:

natedawgnow said:
Pretty sure he was talkong about distributing mushrooms from that many bags.

AKA asking me to incriminate myself :kingcrankey:

Not cool, bro. Not cool

I use all my mushies as bait :fishing:

Trout love em

No incrimination intended!  ... Just 80 bags is an order of magnitude more than I would have a use for. And yes, most of my jars do actually grow oysters also.  :peace:

OfflineDoctor MarioS
🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄
Male

Loc: 🇺🇸
    #27164586 - 01/23/21 12:10 AM (1 month, 10 days ago)

Thanks for writing this up.

InvisibleModularMind
M.P.F.
Male User Gallery

#27164604 - 01/23/21 12:29 AM (1 month, 10 days ago)

:juggle:

Offlinestarbones
I'm an alien, I eat uranium.
I'm a teapot

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: ModularMind]
    #27164614 - 01/23/21 12:36 AM (1 month, 10 days ago)

Good as gold you magnificent motherfucker.  :bow2:
Easy to understand, pictures make sense and it's all laid out concisely.

You've convinced me to get bags on the go again. Anyone wanna buy 500 quart jars?

--------------------
Calm as cookies and cream.
Unbottles and micro-mini-mono tubs all day everyday.

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: starbones]
    #27165023 - 01/23/21 10:04 AM (1 month, 10 days ago)

Haha thanks man! Bags are awesome but I still use them in conjunction with jars.

2nd cook is done!

What bags lokked like after opening pc and all 24 bags from the first 2 cooks.
1/3 of the way there!

--------------------

OfflineSphink
Stranger

#27165137 - 01/23/21 11:33 AM (1 month, 10 days ago)

I run my big bags exactly the same. 12 hour soak and no boil on oats, 6 bags/24 quarts. Just switched to the 4T bags for my master jars and never going back. 14 bags/28 quarts in a presto.

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: Sphink]
    #27165177 - 01/23/21 12:08 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

So those 4t bags are 2qts each? I like the idea of sterilizing 14 masters per PC vs. 10 :strokebeard:

--------------------

OfflineSphink
Stranger

#27165218 - 01/23/21 12:37 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

Yep, 2 quart masters! No more cleaning jars and lids with a toilet brush lol. I toss in a whole Petri and zip tie it. Pinch the puck a few times and shake. So far I’m loving it. I also started playing with the XLS-B bags for fruiting in. I run 2 quarts per XLS so these work out perfect! Stick 3 bags in a mono and no cleaning... Time is $$

InvisiblePsicomvb
Enjoying the ride
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: Sphink]
    #27165262 - 01/23/21 01:16 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

Way awesome Natedawg :sun: running bags in presto is a bit of an artform for sure haha...!

InvisibleModularMind
M.P.F.
Male User Gallery

#27165363 - 01/23/21 02:26 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

Quote:

Sphink said:

No standoff from the PC walls?

OfflineSphink
Stranger

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: ModularMind]
    #27165421 - 01/23/21 02:59 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

Nope, space is $$

I used to wrap each bag in aluminum foil because I was scared they would melt. And I would only put 4 in at a time so steam would travel all around them. But that was crazy wasteful With the foil lol. Tried a run as an experiment and all went well.

A FEW of the oats do bust that are pressed up against the wall, but everywhere else they are perfect. I jam them in as tight as possible, no gaps, and run for 4 hours with 2.5 quarts of water in the bottom. I don’t even come close to running dry. I prop up the trivet with 2 jar rings taped and zip tied together. Been running a few months like this and no issues. So much time saved.

I’ve thought about going 3-3.5 hours but I run 2 cookers as well so I don’t mind the time and I only do one run per day.

OfflineLand Trout
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#27165893 - 01/23/21 07:39 PM (1 month, 9 days ago)

Two jar rings high? Or the trivit balanced in two rings?

--------------------

OfflineKing0fthajuiceS
Funny Guy
Male

Loc: Wild Like Volusia in the ...
    #27165920 - 01/23/21 08:00 PM (1 month, 9 days ago)

I use unicorn 10b and do 7, 3 lbs per run. 23qt

What is that in relation to the 2qt bags

--------------------
I like rain

Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right!

Till we meet again, Hermano. R.I.P

we made it rain 🌦

#cleanthisshitupsoIcandance

OfflineSphink
Stranger

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: King0fthajuice]
    #27165952 - 01/23/21 08:16 PM (1 month, 9 days ago)

Quote:

Land Trout said:
Two jar rings high? Or the trivit balanced in two rings?

Quote:

King0fthajuice said:
I use unicorn 10b and do 7, 3 lbs per run. 23qt

What is that in relation to the 2qt bags

I’m not super confident in the 5.0 micron bags.

Filters:
T-A-B

T=0.2
A=0.5
B=5.0

The relation with (4T) 2 quart bags is 1qt equals around 1lb, so 2 quarts is 2 lbs.

The 3T bags I run 4 quarts and transfer in one quart spawn for 5lb bags.

Hate to be jacking nates post. I recommend everyone do what he recommends in the original post. I was only trying to share with him how I run since we do things so similar.

Edited by Sphink (01/23/21 08:54 PM)

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27165982 - 01/23/21 08:38 PM (1 month, 9 days ago)

How dare you :kingcrankey:

Haha no worries dude, this thread is about successfully doing bags in a presto
and your info is definitely appreciated!

--------------------

OfflineLand Trout
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#27167539 - 01/24/21 06:24 PM (1 month, 8 days ago)

Perfect timing on the write up too, cause all my quarts are being used, and all the stores are sold out around here.  Do you do tape two quarters to your weight to get it up to 17psi?

--------------------

OfflinerenagaderX
Stranger
    #27167555 - 01/24/21 06:33 PM (1 month, 8 days ago)

Good to know you can do 3x layers of 2 bags each with presto.

I've been doing 2x layers, 3 bags each.

Its a tight fit but works well.

This steam rack on the bottom to lift the trivet up :

Then the trivet. Then add your bags, 2x layers of 3.
Dinner plate on top.

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27167561 - 01/24/21 06:34 PM (1 month, 8 days ago)

Quarters work. you could also take 2 metal washers, unscrew the black cap on your
presto weight, place the washers inbetween the cap and weight, and screw the cap back on.

Works well and keeps the distribution of weight on your jiggler consistent so it
doesnt lean to one side.

If you cant visualize what I mean let me know and Ill post a few pictures

@renegade- how big are your bags? Theres no way I could fit 3 bags per level in mine

--------------------

OfflineLand Trout
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#27167975 - 01/24/21 10:30 PM (1 month, 8 days ago)

I think I got it:rockon:
Hey, do you have to keep bringing the temp down on the stove through the cycle?  I’d come and check on it every half hour and I’d have pretty high pressure and the weight would be jiggling so I’d lower the stove temp.
It make sense that it takes more energy to heat those bags up, but once they are up to temp I could back it off a little bit.

--------------------

InvisibleRafiikii
 User Gallery

#27167992 - 01/24/21 10:40 PM (1 month, 8 days ago)

some hair all up in your bags brotha lololol.

good tek, appreciate it.

surprised you dont see more bags, jars are son of bitches

--------------------
"You didn’t come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are no stranger here."

Offlinepureshrooming
feels like a stranger
 User Gallery

#27168006 - 01/24/21 10:51 PM (1 month, 8 days ago)

Presto is coming up to pressure right now so fingers crossed when I open in the morning!

The biggest difference I'm seeing from what I've done is the jar rings between bags and pot. I've done some combo of everything else so maybe its just combining all of it for success.

Invisiblep9hu7S
Full retard
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: pureshrooming]
    #27168018 - 01/24/21 11:00 PM (1 month, 8 days ago)

:pipesmoke2: sub.

--------------------
Easy flowhood math template
How I wrap an entire sleeve of plates
Clean Spawn Checklist
More Inoculation Points For Less

shrooms make you gay anyways

Two of a trade never agree

OfflinerenagaderX
Stranger
    #27168085 - 01/24/21 11:41 PM (1 month, 8 days ago)

Quote:

natedawgnow said:

@renegade- how big are your bags? Theres no way I could fit 3 bags per level in mine

4LB per bag. It's roughly a myco quart per lb

I don't use jar lids in mine though

Edited by renagaderX (01/24/21 11:42 PM)

OfflineA.k.a
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Gaming the system
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: renagaderX]
    #27168099 - 01/24/21 11:50 PM (1 month, 8 days ago)

Just what I needed.  :thumbup:

I got tired of hearing the rocker the other day and didn’t have much around so I wrapped the rocker in foil a few times and popped it back on. Didn’t take much to push it to 17psi.

I have some bags where the recommended block size is 10-15lbs. That’s insane. Has anybody tried running like 12qts in a bag? 

Looking forward to the next installment here.

--------------------
LAGM2020

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: A.k.a]
    #27168115 - 01/25/21 12:01 AM (1 month, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Land Trout said:
I think I got it:rockon:
Hey, do you have to keep bringing the temp down on the stove through the cycle?  I’d come and check on it every half hour and I’d have pretty high pressure and the weight would be jiggling so I’d lower the stove temp.
It make sense that it takes more energy to heat those bags up, but once they are up to temp I could back it off a little bit.

Prestos need to be baby sat so once you get to pressure you gotta turn down your
stove until you hit that sweet spot that keeps it at 15psi

--------------------

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: Rafiikii]
    #27168123 - 01/25/21 12:12 AM (1 month, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Rafiikii said:

good tek, appreciate it.

Ya I saw that hair in the pics :lol:

It's fine it's sterile leave me alone :kingcrankey:

--------------------

InvisibleBuddaking
Toke On This
Male User Gallery

Loc: No Mans Land
Trusted Cultivator
    #27168174 - 01/25/21 12:41 AM (1 month, 8 days ago)

Good shit man.
I run 4 3T's with 5 quarts each.
Going to have to look into those other bags as I would like to eliminate 90% of my jars eventually. Bags are just too easy
& far more efficent ise of time, space & resources.

--------------------
In the United States, possession of psilocybin-containing mushrooms is illegal because they contain the Schedule I drugs psilocin and psilocybin. Spores, however, which do not contain psychoactive chemicals, are only explicitly illegal in Georgia and Idaho. Additionally spores are illegal to import, buy, sell, trade, or give away in California if intended to be cultivated.
:print: All Spore samples are intended For microscopy use only  as with every State in the Union :print:

AMU Q & A

InvisibleRafiikii
 User Gallery

#27168286 - 01/25/21 02:26 AM (1 month, 8 days ago)

Quote:

natedawgnow said:
Quote:

Rafiikii said:

good tek, appreciate it.

Ya I saw that hair in the pics :lol:

It's fine it's sterile leave me alone :kingcrankey:

Hahahah just giving ya a hard time. Good work bro :hatsoff:

--------------------
"You didn’t come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are no stranger here."

Offlinepureshrooming
feels like a stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: Rafiikii]
    #27168938 - 01/25/21 01:37 PM (1 month, 8 days ago)

Update on last nights run - two popped bags, two bags with the corners uncomfortably stretched out but not popped, and two perfect.

The issue is when I turn off the heat and let the pressure drop, I can hear the bags pop. I'm at a complete loss on what to change. It seems like filling the empty spaces should help but I'm so confused on why I would have this issue when packing the PC the same way as other people.

Offlineswinghigh
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27169033 - 01/25/21 02:28 PM (1 month, 8 days ago)

what size of bags does everyone prefer to use for there presto 23qt. ive got  a wide variety of sizes and not sure what ones to go with. ive been doing 175 jars and after 3 years of using jars and expanding i need to move to bags.

there is;
10T
4T
XLS-B
3b

the plan is to make my master jars with agar and have these bags as spawn bags for my totes.

Invisiblep9hu7S
Full retard
Male

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: swinghigh]
    #27169036 - 01/25/21 02:31 PM (1 month, 8 days ago)

These are what you want, bruv:

https://unicornbags.com/product/type-3tbox-of-1000/

Now you can purchase these from other vendors in smaller quantities if you don't want a box of 1k.

--------------------
Clean Spawn Checklist

Offlineswinghigh
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: p9hu7]
    #27169047 - 01/25/21 02:35 PM (1 month, 8 days ago)

i appreciate all the help man i really do. you have been quick with helping and all links you've listed have answered my questions. again thank you

Offlinedeadmandave
Slime
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #27169058 - 01/25/21 02:40 PM (1 month, 8 days ago)

Quote:

pureshrooming said:
Update on last nights run - two popped bags, two bags with the corners uncomfortably stretched out but not popped, and two perfect.

The issue is when I turn off the heat and let the pressure drop, I can hear the bags pop. I'm at a complete loss on what to change. It seems like filling the empty spaces should help but I'm so confused on why I would have this issue when packing the PC the same way as other people.

when you say let the pressure drop, are you taking the weight off or letting it drop slowly at its own pace? maybe add a little extra water so it cools more slowly. also make sure youre getting as much air out as possible before loading.

Invisiblep9hu7S
Full retard
Male

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: swinghigh]
    #27169059 - 01/25/21 02:40 PM (1 month, 8 days ago)

Np, brother, its what we're here for.

--------------------
Clean Spawn Checklist

Offlinelookintolearn
Stranger becoming Strangest

Loc: Up in the Cut
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: p9hu7]
    #27169211 - 01/25/21 04:05 PM (1 month, 8 days ago)

Solid natedawg! I'm about to try Crack's bag tek and yours and see which one works better for me. Fucking love all this info on bags coming up right when I'm ready to start doing them.

Perfect timing :thumbup:

I guess I'll just use my 70 jars as masters, G2G to 10 other jars, Then use one jar per bag. Will have to get more tubs :eek:

--------------------
Don't be afraid of feeling the feelings

Lookin to LAGM 2021

Looking to start growing? Read through Bod's Introduction to Everything
Looking to start agar? Start with Alien's Holy Grail
Looking to perfect your transfers? Start with D3monic's Perfect Transfers
Looking for easiest prep to Coir ever? Eat's UNBUCKET Tek
Looking to start LC? Try LI first! Munch's super easy Blenderless LI

Offlinepureshrooming
feels like a stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: deadmandave]
    #27169234 - 01/25/21 04:23 PM (1 month, 8 days ago)

Quote:

deadmandave said:when you say let the pressure drop, are you taking the weight off or letting it drop slowly at its own pace? maybe add a little extra water so it cools more slowly. also make sure youre getting as much air out as possible before loading.

I'm just turning the heat off and letting it drop on it's own. More water isn't a bad idea, I use the standard 3qt and it comes slightly up the side of the bags so I do have room for more.

I am squeezing all the air out of the bags but I prep the bags then almost immediately load the pc so surely they are filling slightly when loading. I'll try prepping then letting them sit upside down on the table for a bit to sharpen the creases.

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27169469 - 01/25/21 06:42 PM (1 month, 7 days ago)

My bet would be that it got too hot in there if you did everything like in the tek.

I run over 1000 bags a year and get maybe 1 or 2 popped in total. Did it at any point get close to 20psi?

I do 17psi but I'm at over 8000ft so my 17psi is equal to sea level 15psi. If i was at sea
level I wouldnt dare run bags at 17psi for fear of getting too close to 20psi
which will put the hurt on some bags. If you try again let us knoe how it goes!

--------------------

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27169529 - 01/25/21 07:18 PM (1 month, 7 days ago)

Just made an edit to specify that peeps closer to sea level should stick to 15psi.

Water boils at 185f where I'm at so 15psi isnt hot enough but at sea level 17psi is too much

--------------------

OnlineMyc_Hunt
Bacteria's Bitch
Male

Loc: Fungal Void
    #27169588 - 01/25/21 07:49 PM (1 month, 7 days ago)

Nice

--------------------
Tomentose gang

LAGM 2021

Read this and maybe learn some shit

Offlinepureshrooming
feels like a stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: Myc_Hunt]
    #27169687 - 01/25/21 08:35 PM (1 month, 7 days ago)

I did get close to 20 psi at one point when I wasn't paying attention. I'm doing another run tonight so I'll be extra vigilant about keeping it at 15. I'm determined to get this down!

OfflineSurf707
Student of Life

#27169711 - 01/25/21 08:46 PM (1 month, 7 days ago)

I’m in the process of trying your method out this week just prepping the oats. I’ve noticed that I’ve been getting bags with small pinholes for some reason. Do you think this is because I don’t use a spacer between the bag and side wall, or is it from not properly getting enough air out of the bag prior to the seal (pre pc). This last batch out of 108 I had to trash 27 and I don’t know what variable is causing all these issues. Thanks for the great write up!

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: Surf707]
    #27169798 - 01/25/21 09:32 PM (1 month, 7 days ago)

I like to use spacers cause I find the heat thins the plastic which leads to pinholes and the like.

Some people say it doesnt matter but it's my experi3nce that spacers help.

--------------------

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27169801 - 01/25/21 09:33 PM (1 month, 7 days ago)

Quote:

pureshrooming said:
I did get close to 20 psi at one point when I wasn't paying attention. I'm doing another run tonight so I'll be extra vigilant about keeping it at 15. I'm determined to get this down!

Good luck dude remember to let us know how it goes! I hate baby sitting PCs but it's necessary especially with bags.

--------------------

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27169855 - 01/25/21 10:13 PM (1 month, 7 days ago)

First round done, 36 bags

Will be moving these into the tiny house which houses my flowhood tomorrow for
the first half of inoculation day! I'll update the 2nd post in this thread tomorrow with the details

--------------------

InvisibleModularMind
M.P.F.
Male User Gallery

#27169886 - 01/25/21 10:39 PM (1 month, 7 days ago)

Quote:

natedawgnow said:
First round done, 36 bags

Will be moving these

What’s the average weight/bag finished?

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27169892 - 01/25/21 10:41 PM (1 month, 7 days ago)

Never weighed them. Whatever ~4qt bags of wheat weigh :lol:

--------------------

InvisibleModularMind
M.P.F.
Male User Gallery

#27169896 - 01/25/21 10:43 PM (1 month, 7 days ago)

Do some stretches and lift with your legs!

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: ModularMind] * 1
    #27169908 - 01/25/21 10:52 PM (1 month, 7 days ago)

I gots me a helper and a radio flyer wagon :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleMr.guy
new guy

#27169954 - 01/25/21 11:19 PM (1 month, 7 days ago)

Such a great thread to stumble upon since I'm trying to transition to bags

Offlinepureshrooming
feels like a stranger
 User Gallery

#27169988 - 01/25/21 11:53 PM (1 month, 7 days ago)

Quote:

natedawgnow said:Good luck dude remember to let us know how it goes! I hate baby sitting PCs but it's necessary especially with bags.

Got it loaded and coming up to pressure right now. I've parked my ass at the counter with my laptop for the next 3 hours! Really appreciate all the pointers so far, I'm feeling good about this run

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27169995 - 01/26/21 12:02 AM (1 month, 7 days ago)

:rockon:

--------------------

OfflineLand Trout
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#27170079 - 01/26/21 01:28 AM (1 month, 7 days ago)

Quote:

natedawgnow said:
I gots me a helper and a radio flyer wagon :grin:

:manofapproval:

--------------------

Offlinemcnugget
Stranger

#27170215 - 01/26/21 05:47 AM (1 month, 7 days ago)

Quote:

natedawgnow said:
My bet would be that it got too hot in there if you did everything like in the tek.

I run over 1000 bags a year and get maybe 1 or 2 popped in total. Did it at any point get close to 20psi?

I do 17psi but I'm at over 8000ft so my 17psi is equal to sea level 15psi. If i was at sea

Was going to run some grain bags in a 25x but this post is making me think it isn't possible.  The thermostat on the 25x allows it to fluctuate 4psi and I was told by AA this tolerance can't be narrowed.

Usually when running it fluctuates between 15-19psi, thinking that would be too hot and cause some popped bags.

--------------------

OfflineJarhead3521S
Grindin’
Male User Gallery

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: mcnugget]
    #27170266 - 01/26/21 07:11 AM (1 month, 7 days ago)

I haven’t had issue of popped bags in my 25x, I just fuck up with the sealing after inoc.

--------------------

LAGM21

OnlineMyc_Hunt
Bacteria's Bitch
Male

Loc: Fungal Void
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: Jarhead3521]
    #27170275 - 01/26/21 07:29 AM (1 month, 7 days ago)

Where do you get your bags? I've been meaning to ask in another thread but since you're such a g, I figured I'd ask here.

--------------------
Tomentose gang

LAGM 2021

Read this and maybe learn some shit

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: Myc_Hunt]
    #27170430 - 01/26/21 10:09 AM (1 month, 7 days ago)

Quote:

mcnugget said:
Quote:

natedawgnow said:

Was going to run some grain bags in a 25x but this post is making me think it isn't possible.  The thermostat on the 25x allows it to fluctuate 4psi and I was told by AA this tolerance can't be narrowed.

Usually when running it fluctuates between 15-19psi, thinking that would be too hot and cause some popped bags.

Lots of people have no issues running in a 25x.

May be because AAs are crazy thick in comparison to the presto. The walls take lomger to get to max
temp and by that time the cook is nearly done, where as the presto walls heats up 1uick and stays hot the whole cook.

Just speculating I dont have a temp gun but if I get one I'll test this theory with my 916

--------------------

Offlinepureshrooming
feels like a stranger
 User Gallery

#27170593 - 01/26/21 11:49 AM (1 month, 7 days ago)

ok so last nights run got me 1 popped bag and 3 with very stretched out corners. The PC never got past 16.5 but I have a very difficult time with my stove maintaining 15 without it dipping below. I'm wondering if I need to try a 6mil bag? I'm using the unincorn 3t right now.

I do have a camp burner I've purchased for doing grain in the garage which might have a more sensitive dial than my stove. Could be easier to control the temp.

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27170604 - 01/26/21 11:59 AM (1 month, 7 days ago)

Not sure whats happening there. I use the standard 3t bags as well. Did you happen to take pics of it packed?

--------------------

Offlinepureshrooming
feels like a stranger
 User Gallery

#27170612 - 01/26/21 12:03 PM (1 month, 7 days ago)

I didn't but I'm going to run that fucker again today and I'll get some. I refuse to be beaten!

InvisibleMunchauzen
Mushroom Maharaja
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27170633 - 01/26/21 12:14 PM (1 month, 7 days ago)

this is fucking killer. just ordered bags. thanks my man!!

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27170636 - 01/26/21 12:16 PM (1 month, 7 days ago)

Quote:

pureshrooming said:
I didn't but I'm going to run that fucker again today and I'll get some. I refuse to be beaten!

Rundown of your pc method?

Do you vent and what not? Typically I bring my pot up to a boil with the lid off
then I put the lid on, wait for the vent to lock, thwn vent for at least 5 minutes.

Not sure what it is but tryin to nail down everything :lol:

--------------------

Offlinepureshrooming
feels like a stranger
 User Gallery

#27170681 - 01/26/21 12:51 PM (1 month, 7 days ago)

I fill using hot tap water, load the pc with jar rings between the bags and walls, turn on the heat to medium high then close lid. When the lock pops up, I back the heat off slightly and vent for 15m before putting the weight on.

When you do rings between the bags and the walls, are you doing multiple rings to keep the bag from touching the side at all?

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27170684 - 01/26/21 12:54 PM (1 month, 7 days ago)

I just do the 1 ring between walls and bags to keep the bulk of the bags off the wall and allow a gap for steam to pass through

--------------------

OfflineMLPismyOPSEC
That One Ponyfucker
I'm a teapot

Loc: Equestria? Mordor? Wester... Flag
    #27170697 - 01/26/21 01:03 PM (1 month, 7 days ago)

Man this kicks ass, thanks Nate! I've had to do so much scouring and testing to figure some of this shit out. I've been folding them with the filter patch up/exposed and top of the bag folded in/underneath. That lead to only one popped bag out of the last 6 runs or so. But still get 2+ stretched bags per PC. Going to fold them and settle the grain the way you recommend and give er a go!

Also making master jars and g2g to 3 bags each; this is the way.

Offlinelookintolearn

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: MLPismyOPSEC]
    #27172019 - 01/27/21 01:33 AM (1 month, 6 days ago)

So I put in my first attempt at bags today using the idea of putting 6 bags in my presto 23qt. I have no idea how you did it. I could only fit 4 and couldn't fit another one to save my life.

However, I did have extra oats leftover so I made each bag about 4.5 qts after cooked instead of 4. Would that have a made a big enough difference to not add the other two bags? I also was looking at the pictures and it looks like you didn't have a trivet in the bottom of the pc (although I did notice you said to put the rings and trivet down there). I'm just try to get an idea of how to properly put all 6 in.

It's still double my efficiency per PC run just trying to see why I couldn't get those last two in.

I ended up making 6 bags and PCing the four now but I won't be able to get the other two till tomorrow, will they be okay just sitting in the bag wet like that?

--------------------

Lookin to LAGM 2021

InvisibleRafiikii
 User Gallery

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: lookintolearn]
    #27172115 - 01/27/21 03:48 AM (1 month, 6 days ago)

They will be fine

Hey ND,

Approximately how much water are you putting into the PC?

always worrying about it running dry.

--------------------

Edited by Rafiikii (01/27/21 05:23 AM)

InvisibleMunchauzen
Mushroom Maharaja
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27172161 - 01/27/21 05:15 AM (1 month, 6 days ago)

duct tape a few quarters on the giggle weight to reduce water loss and make it a bit quieter

OfflineMLPismyOPSEC
That One Ponyfucker
I'm a teapot

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: lookintolearn]
    #27172269 - 01/27/21 07:55 AM (1 month, 6 days ago)

Quote:

lookintolearn said:
However, I did have extra oats leftover so I made each bag about 4.5 qts after cooked instead of 4. Would that have a made a big enough difference to not add the other two bags?

100% yes. At 4 lbs/4 qts per bag, it's a tight enough fit, any more and you're definitely boned.

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: MLPismyOPSEC]
    #27172397 - 01/27/21 10:16 AM (1 month, 6 days ago)

I would say making each bag 4.5 actual quarts is possibly too much, but I think
you should still be able to push the bags down enough to squeeze 2 more in.

For the record, in the tek I say 2 scoops from my caning spoon is about one mycoquart, which is just a little less than an actual quart. I put 8 of those per bag which comes out to ~4qt (that ~ is important) and then I g2g half a quart to each bag.

@rafiki- I fill it until the water level comes about halfway up the side of the bottom bags. You dont want too much water cause you dont want to submerge the bottom bags once the top layers add weight.
Not sure on the actual volume of water but I have never run it dry this way.
I put a weight on my jiggler so I dont lose very much water at all even.

Gonna update the 2nd post later with how I inoculate these in front of the hood and seal with zip ties. Keep a look out

--------------------

OfflineMr. Mushie
    #27173018 - 01/27/21 04:01 PM (1 month, 6 days ago)

I'm going to give this a try today but I'm going to pre seal my bags.

Would you change anything besides how you fold the bags in the PC if you were to pre seal?

OfflineLand Trout
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: Mr. Mushie] * 1
    #27173122 - 01/27/21 05:05 PM (1 month, 6 days ago)

First batch of grain only came to 4 bags, next day made up 6, they all look great.  I tried knocking them up in my sab last night and I got two done, and got ahold of my buddy saying I need help building my flow hood ASAP.  Say a prayer for the two bags I did get done.  All I can say is I do not want to try working with grain bags in a sab, and it got a fire under my ass to get my hood built.

--------------------

Offlinelookintolearn

#27173565 - 01/27/21 10:34 PM (1 month, 5 days ago)

So I'm trying again today with the extra two I gotta make for the run, I think what I did was make 4qts dry per bag and didn't account for the grains expanding a bunch lol. So for the other two I did 3qts dry and gonna see how that looks.

There was definitely no way I was gonna get an extra two bags in there before, was full as fuck even if I squashed them wouldn't have fit.

I supposed that since I filled the other one's so full I could just use 1 bag to do 1.5 tubs so I can make 3 tubs with two bags. Still works out for me haha.

--------------------

Lookin to LAGM 2021

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27173576 - 01/27/21 10:39 PM (1 month, 5 days ago)

Oh ya 4qt dry per bag is way too much. Shit dude with wheat 4qt dry hydrates to 8qts at least haha.

Ya it's 4qts fully hydrated haha

--------------------

Offlinelookintolearn

#27173598 - 01/27/21 10:52 PM (1 month, 5 days ago)

Yeah I think I made an oopsie when I was reading last night, obviously lol. I got excited and skimmed through like "oh yeah I got it" :facepalm3:

I think I also filled the jar to the tip top when loading the dry which probably didnt help. Oh well live and learn haha.

Thanks again for this, I'm trying crackatoa's version here soon as well just to see how I like the tyvek in there. But I really appreciated your detail in how to do the folding, helped a fuck ton. Visual learners :shrug:

--------------------

Lookin to LAGM 2021

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27174420 - 01/28/21 01:28 PM (1 month, 5 days ago)

Just updated the 2nd post to show how I inoculate! Thanks for following everybody!

--------------------

Offlinepureshrooming
feels like a stranger
 User Gallery

#27174496 - 01/28/21 02:13 PM (1 month, 5 days ago)

I think I nailed down what my issue was. I thought I was squeezing all of the air out but I took my time the last run and made sure there were no grains stuck in the bottom gussets like you explained. Only had one popped bag but the rest were perfect. No crazy stretching, just nice and sealed up. I still had issues keeping it at 15 psi, definitely had a spike up to 17 psi at one point so that might have been the one popped bag. My 75x is supposed to ship out this week so perfect timing to get this figured out...

Killer write up dude and great advice in here!

OfflineMr. Mushie
    #27175667 - 01/29/21 08:51 AM (1 month, 4 days ago)

First time ever using bags... the only thing I changed from the OP was that I presealed them.

6 bags, each weighing in at 4lbs even.

PC for 3.5 hours at 15-17psi (can't keep the Presto 23qt pressure stable on my stove to save my life)

No popped bags... that I know of. We will see later today when I inoculate.

Thanks Natedawg

Edited by Mr. Mushie (01/29/21 05:45 PM)

OfflineA.k.a
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: Mr. Mushie]
    #27176494 - 01/29/21 05:51 PM (1 month, 4 days ago)

My first shot at hwfp bags.

Look ok? I’m hoping the filter that got dirty in the pc is ok.

--------------------
LAGM2020

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: A.k.a]
    #27176567 - 01/29/21 06:29 PM (1 month, 3 days ago)

:rockon: what you growin?

I'd recommend building a steamer if you ever get into edibles. Nice to run 50 hwfp bags at a time.

--------------------

OfflineA.k.a
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27176609 - 01/29/21 06:51 PM (1 month, 3 days ago)

Awesome.

I have been looking at steamer builds but I gotta make sure it’s not super tough to run these first. I’ve got like no humidity so I prob need a tent.

Those are chestnut and black pearl. I’ve got king oyster, lions mane and “oyster” in my no tek freestyle bags from last week too.

These kings should be pinning anytime now

Its been like 35-40 at night and 50-60 daytime so might be a little cold. Lol I had to fruit my first king shoebox over summer in the fridge. Always something.

Also if anybody starting out is worried about the bag being loose around the sub after mixing the spawn in and causing problems pinning like I was, don’t be. The myc grabs it just like a liner in a tub which in hindsight should’ve been obvious :facepalm:

--------------------
LAGM2020

Edited by A.k.a (01/29/21 06:59 PM)

Offlinejunk_f00d
 User Gallery

#27176686 - 01/29/21 07:21 PM (1 month, 3 days ago)

not sure what your gourmet goals are (i.e commercial or fun) aka but you if you're just screwing around you can always just go straight fuel pellets using lipa's bucket tek. if you want more nutrition you can add more spawn instead of using soy hulls or whatever

edit: I came to this thread to ask if anyone has any videos of doing a quart jar to a bag with an impulse sealer in front of a 2x2 hood? I generally either have the sealer perpendicular to the hood off to side or parellel to it right in front, but both arrangements are super crowded. Really appreciate your content on the actual inoculation process, natedawg! I get mad contams with bags, hoping to figure it out soon, not sure that it's technique related yet but this stuff helps.

Edited by junk_f00d (01/29/21 07:29 PM)

Offlinekassel88
Stranger

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: junk_f00d]
    #27176697 - 01/29/21 07:24 PM (1 month, 3 days ago)

why not closing the bags with a cable tie? not very thight.. when you open your pc hurry up with  closing... always works for me

--------------------

Offlinedeadmandave
Slime
Male User Gallery

#27176997 - 01/29/21 10:26 PM (1 month, 3 days ago)

Hey natedawg, have you tried running your grain bags through the atmospheric sterilizer? im curious about success rates with that method.

OfflineDredgeMyEyes
Stranger

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto *inoculation day update* [Re: natedawgnow]
    #27180689 - 02/01/21 12:30 PM (1 month, 1 day ago)

Corners are definitely gonna touch.  Is that okay? Really want to do this proper.

Thanks in advance

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto *inoculation day update* [Re: DredgeMyEyes]
    #27180711 - 02/01/21 12:41 PM (1 month, 1 day ago)

It's fine. You really.just want the bulk of the middle not to touch so there is
a passageway for steam to travel through instead of getting trapped there.

Remember to watch the heat!

--------------------

OfflineDredgeMyEyes
Stranger

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto *inoculation day update* [Re: natedawgnow]
    #27181220 - 02/01/21 05:32 PM (1 month, 1 day ago)

I'm running the cycle now.  I'm maintaining 15 PSI with the lowest flame possible with 2 quarters on top the and suddenly a decent build up of water comes out from under the jiggler and boils off slowly, all the way down the side of the PC which quickly dropped it to pretty much 14psi which I quickly rushed to get it back up to temp real quick.

Usually I run it at 17

Trying to hover closer to 16 now incase it decides to do that again

Follow-up: let it run for 3h15mins, let cool over night.  I ended up with 2 intact bags (bottom layer) the other 4 had burst.  I really thought I had squeezed all the air out and everything was good.  Maybe WBS is part of the reason? it seems to expand more than oats do.

Edited by DredgeMyEyes (02/03/21 12:52 PM)

OfflineMLPismyOPSEC
That One Ponyfucker
I'm a teapot

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto *inoculation day update* [Re: DredgeMyEyes]
    #27182357 - 02/02/21 09:10 AM (1 month, 8 hours ago)

I've been fighting that too Dredge! In the Gen Discussion thread, someone suggested raising the bottom trivet a little higher to give the water room to boil/surge. I haven't done a run since then so i haven't tried it yet, but it makes sense to me.

Offlinejunk_f00d
 User Gallery

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto *inoculation day update* [Re: MLPismyOPSEC]
    #27182853 - 02/02/21 02:48 PM (1 month, 3 hours ago)

Here are the arrangements I've tried, the first is the most standard I think:

I don't like that arrangement because folding it shut and turning sideways after pouring feels sketchy. I've had the best luck and ergonomics with this:

The above arrangement also lets me get fat plenums. It does crowd my master jar though. I want to try this, but have a feeling it'd be vector city:

If the above worked, it'd let me start prepping the next bag while the other one is sealing. I'm not trying it until my success rate with bags is higher though. Ive also seen people here horizontally mount their sealers to their hoods on some rails, but that puts the bag pretty close to unfiltered air imo. Definitely upgrading to a 2'x4' soon so I have all the space I need.

Edited by junk_f00d (02/02/21 02:58 PM)

Offlinemind.at.large
Myconerd
 User Gallery

Loc: Floating in liquid garden...
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto *inoculation day update* [Re: MLPismyOPSEC]
    #27182976 - 02/02/21 04:01 PM (1 month, 2 hours ago)

Great write up Nate!

But I’m wondering, how long do you leave those sterilized bags out for before inoculation? I’ve always opened my PC in front of the hood and immediately inoculated when running bags but that can sometimes be a pain in the ass, timing wise. Obviously the PC cycle seals up those bags pretty well, but I’ve always wondered about leaving them out...

--------------------
Mind's Easy Bag 2 Bag Grain Transfers

...the doll's trying to kill me and the toaster's been laughing at me...

Invisiblefilthyknees
no coincidence
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto *inoculation day update* [Re: mind.at.large]
    #27183011 - 02/02/21 04:22 PM (1 month, 1 hour ago)

:pipesmoke:

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto *inoculation day update* [Re: filthyknees]
    #27183172 - 02/02/21 06:01 PM (1 month, 5 minutes ago)

Quote:

mind.at.large said:
Great write up Nate!

But I’m wondering, how long do you leave those sterilized bags out for before inoculation? I’ve always opened my PC in front of the hood and immediately inoculated when running bags but that can sometimes be a pain in the ass, timing wise. Obviously the PC cycle seals up those bags pretty well, but I’ve always wondered about leaving them out...

They can last quite a while!
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26664387

--------------------

Offlinemind.at.large
Myconerd
 User Gallery

Loc: Floating in liquid garden...
    #27184230 - 02/03/21 11:49 AM (30 days, 6 hours ago)

Dude! That’s a dope write up! I’m surprised how long they were ok to sit out in the open. I was always afraid they would suck air in as they sit, but I guess as long as it still has the vacuum seal, the air would be drawn in through the filter.

Thanks Nate you rock! Now my paranoid ass doesn’t have to lift my full 75x in front of the flow every time I wanna inoculate bags....

--------------------
Mind's Easy Bag 2 Bag Grain Transfers

...the doll's trying to kill me and the toaster's been laughing at me...

OfflineDredgeMyEyes
Stranger

#27184313 - 02/03/21 12:56 PM (30 days, 5 hours ago)

I'm fairly certain now that it was one of the bags bursting when that happened. It did it once or twice more, then I heard something during cool down which was probably another one lol

Offlineswinghigh
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27184644 - 02/03/21 04:21 PM (30 days, 1 hour ago)

so my cooker only has the rockers not a gauge are you guys using the rocker style cookers or the gauge style cookers for your grain bags i see people talking about using 15 psi to 17 psi all the way to 20 psi. am i gunna get into trouble using the rocker style presto?

OfflinerenagaderX
Stranger
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto *inoculation day update* [Re: swinghigh]
    #27187718 - 02/05/21 11:37 AM (28 days, 6 hours ago)

Hey I noticed some of the posters in this thread are having issues still with prestos / bags.

Not to hi-jack the thread of the OP here but here is a technique that also works.

4lb bags/ 4 myco quarts per bag/ x6 per run.

Steam rack on the bottom

3x on the bottom. Yes, it's a VERY tight fit. You are pretty much forcing the 3rd bag in with both hands. Some air might get into your bag as a result.

This is fine.

You are also going to want to strategically place the bags to allow a direct pathway of steam from the bottom of the pot to the air vent.

Second layer

Now here is a crucial part.

Where the red dot is, that's where the air vent will be when you put your lid on.

Notice how there is a empty space all the way to the bottom? You want that. When it comes time to put your regulator on after venting, it will allow your air vent to lock quickly. It will make your life easier, trust me.

Add water, proceed as normal. Or you can add water before the steam rack, whatever works for you.

I sometimes forget to check my PC and it gets up to 20psi.

Oops.

No big deal. Bags will be fine.

Hope this helps for those still having trouble.

Edited by renagaderX (02/17/21 12:59 AM)

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto *inoculation day update* [Re: renagaderX]
    #27188469 - 02/05/21 07:55 PM (27 days, 22 hours ago)

Ya not sure why peeps are havin issues. I've done it like this for years now
with no issues whatsoever. Nice method hopefully if others try it they dont have issues!

All those bags I did are nearly colonized with 0 contams

76 bags total!!!

--------------------

InvisibleRafiikii
 User Gallery

#27196696 - 02/10/21 04:41 AM (23 days, 13 hours ago)

Hey ND,

How do you feel about reusing bags?

Seems like the gussets are kinda fucked after a run, what are your thoughts?

--------------------

OfflinecronicrM
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto *inoculation day update* [Re: Rafiikii]
    #27200020 - 02/11/21 08:53 PM (21 days, 21 hours ago)

Nice thread Nate:cheers:

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

Offlinejunk_f00d
 User Gallery

#27201424 - 02/12/21 01:46 PM (21 days, 4 hours ago)

Quote:

natedawgnow said:
Quarters work. you could also take 2 metal washers, unscrew the black cap on your
presto weight, place the washers inbetween the cap and weight, and screw the cap back on.

Works well and keeps the distribution of weight on your jiggler consistent so it
doesnt lean to one side.

I've been wondering, is the only issue with the jiggle weight leaning to one side water loss? It won't effect the sterilization process at all given that you maintain your desired PSI and don't run out of water, right?

I've ran loads of cycles with it leaned to one side (not intentionally). Thanks for your tip about unscrewing the black cap, I've switched to that now so it should be a problem of the past but I'm still curious.

OfflineA.k.a
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: junk_f00d]
    #27201465 - 02/12/21 02:04 PM (21 days, 4 hours ago)

Yeah it’ll let way too much water out.

I just wrapped my rocker in heavy duty foil, but if it unscrews that’s way better. Gotta check that out.

--------------------
LAGM2020

Offlinejunk_f00d
 User Gallery

#27201641 - 02/12/21 03:11 PM (21 days, 2 hours ago)

Quote:

A.k.a said:
Yeah it’ll let way too much water out.

I just wrapped my rocker in heavy duty foil, but if it unscrews that’s way better. Gotta check that out.

Sweet, just wanted to make sure that wasn't a possible vector. I always added extra just to offset the losses (not ideal of course)..

OfflineSurfingmycelium
Stranger
    #27203715 - 02/13/21 03:45 PM (20 days, 2 hours ago)

Awesome thread!  Was thinking of doing bags soon but didn’t really know how.  This explained it perfectly.

Offlinemcnugget
Stranger

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: Surfingmycelium]
    #27205549 - 02/14/21 03:16 PM (19 days, 2 hours ago)

Thinking about running some bags of supplemented sawdust in a 25x tonight.  Any useful tips?

--------------------

Offlinedeadmandave
Slime
Male User Gallery

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: mcnugget]
    #27205688 - 02/14/21 04:58 PM (19 days, 1 hour ago)

i have a 25x and i fit two bags on the bottom layer and 3 bags stacked on top of that. I fill my bags with 2kg of sub so a little less than 5lbs each.

Offlinemcnugget
Stranger

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: deadmandave]
    #27205731 - 02/14/21 05:13 PM (19 days, 53 minutes ago)

Quote:

deadmandave said:
i have a 25x and i fit two bags on the bottom layer and 3 bags stacked on top of that. I fill my bags with 2kg of sub so a little less than 5lbs each.

Thanks man.  Do you use the insert or just the trivet on the metal rack?

--------------------

Offlinedeadmandave
Slime
Male User Gallery

#27205893 - 02/14/21 06:36 PM (18 days, 23 hours ago)

i just use the metal rack and put the trivet on top of everything as a safety. probably not necessary but doesnt hurt either.

OfflineA.k.a
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27207890 - 02/15/21 07:20 PM (17 days, 22 hours ago)

Ok so I just did a round of grain bags for the first time. I haven’t even got the pc up to pressure yet but I’m all in on these.

So much faster and easier than jars, not to mention 2x the grain.

The problem is I didn’t re read this and instead of accordion folding I just squeezed all the air out and rolled the bags up as tight as I could and crammed them in.

It worked fine with hwfp so it should be ok right? I only did 2 bags with 4qt and 2 bags with 2qt so there’s extra room, although I lined the pc with a shirt and then folded it over the top and set a jar on it so it can’t inflate.

--------------------
LAGM2020

Invisiblep9hu7S
Full retard
Male

#27207896 - 02/15/21 07:24 PM (17 days, 22 hours ago)

Quote:

A.k.a said:

The problem is I didn’t re read this and instead of accordion folding I just squeezed all the air out and rolled the bags up as tight as I could and crammed them in.

It worked fine with hwfp so it should be ok right?

This is the only way that I do bags, wrap around is great as long as you don't cover the filter...I've never covered it so I can't vouch for a backward wrap

--------------------
Clean Spawn Checklist

OfflineA.k.a
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27208921 - 02/16/21 09:16 AM (17 days, 8 hours ago)

Well the wrap was ok, but the bottom bags melted to the shirt :facepalm:

Guess I gotta go low heat next time. I was pretty sure something was off last night based on the smell.

--------------------
LAGM2020

Invisiblep9hu7S
Full retard
Male

#27208953 - 02/16/21 09:48 AM (17 days, 8 hours ago)

Why add a shirt? Just wrap or accordion fold your bags and stuff them in there.

Sorry Nate, I don't mean to step in your toes. I'll let him answer his own thread, lol.

--------------------
Clean Spawn Checklist

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27208958 - 02/16/21 09:57 AM (17 days, 8 hours ago)

The shirt probably clingged to the bags trapping lots of heat. You gotta have space
for the steam to rise and leave the cooker.

--------------------

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27208959 - 02/16/21 09:58 AM (17 days, 8 hours ago)

@p9- Haha youre good bro! Open platform here mange any advice welcome!

--------------------

OfflineA.k.a
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27209874 - 02/16/21 07:22 PM (16 days, 22 hours ago)

Lol I always feel kinda weird answering in other people’s threads too, but whatever information is information, plus a lot of the time it’s something being asked for the 400th time.

I put the shirt as a buffer from the flame, I’ve seem people use towels or whatever. I think you’re right though that they were pushed together and trapped heat.

I do have a hot plate I haven’t used yet, maybe it’s time.

Also do you guys normally mix the grain up to redistribute moisture right away? I’m so used to doing it with jars it feels weird leaving the bags sitting.

--------------------
LAGM2020

OfflineSpirit-Crusher
DOOM HIPPIE

Loc: PNW
    #27210196 - 02/17/21 12:11 AM (16 days, 17 hours ago)

If your having problems with the bottom layer, I sometimes wrap them up with tin foil like a burrito.

--------------------

Offlineseand04
It is what it is
 User Gallery

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: Spirit-Crusher]
    #27210267 - 02/17/21 01:13 AM (16 days, 16 hours ago)

I lay down some old pint jars on the bottom of the presto, I can  fit 3 4lb bags in it no problems. I close them with a tube and a clamp. I can make 3-6 bags every day.

Invisiblefilthyknees
no coincidence
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: seand04]
    #27210651 - 02/17/21 09:27 AM (16 days, 8 hours ago)

How are your bags Nate?

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: filthyknees]
    #27210774 - 02/17/21 10:59 AM (16 days, 7 hours ago)

Fully colonized. Waiting on this second flush to finish so I can spawn them. I need more tubs haha and space.

I got bags all over my house and it's pissing my lady off. Did manage to do 20
already though so thats good.

Its too cold to put anything in our work room where the hood is. Setting up a stove
in there but I still have a few things I need before I can set it up.

Not sure why people are having issues doing their bags this way. Ive done it like
this gor years with very minimal issues. You shouldnt have to put anything else
in the pc besides the bags and spacers. Foil, towels, more jars, etc just take
up space if everything is done exactly like in the tek.

--------------------

InvisibleCamera93S
I'm God's manure

#27210781 - 02/17/21 11:03 AM (16 days, 7 hours ago)

:camping:

--------------------
Let's All Grow Mushrooms 2020
Let's All Grow Mushrooms 2021

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

It was realer then I imagined

Offlinetrippleblack
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: filthyknees]
    #27210787 - 02/17/21 11:05 AM (16 days, 7 hours ago)

will this work with 8 quarts of grain per bag?

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: trippleblack]
    #27210793 - 02/17/21 11:10 AM (16 days, 6 hours ago)

No. You'll probably only fit 2 maybe 3 bags if there's 8qts per bag. Thats a lot of grain
is that 8qts per tub you plan on using?

--------------------

InvisibleModularMind
M.P.F.
Male User Gallery

#27211053 - 02/17/21 01:49 PM (16 days, 4 hours ago)

What type range do you utilize?
Gas? Electric?
Do you step down the heat incrementally after the sterilization cycle time elapses?
What is the ambient temperature where the pressure cookers are running?

Offlinetrippleblack
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27211076 - 02/17/21 02:01 PM (16 days, 4 hours ago)

yea 7/8 quarts per tub.. grain is cheap and dense..

i' usually seal before i pressure cook then toss cooked spawn bags inside a trash bag  while in front of flowhood. i wouldn't mind skipping the seal and cut step.

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27211112 - 02/17/21 02:16 PM (16 days, 3 hours ago)

Quote:

ModularMind said:
What type range do you utilize?
Gas? Electric?
Do you step down the heat incrementally after the sterilization cycle time elapses?
What is the ambient temperature where the pressure cookers are running?

Ive used gas and electric, right now using a gas stove and a propane burner.

No i just turn the heat off and walk away. Room temp. This stuff shouldnt matter much if at all.

Vent pc for 5 minutes minimum, bring up to pressure, turn down heat to lowest possible
setting necessary to maintain 15psi (requires a lot of baby sitting and micro adjustments to temp),
cook 3hrs minimum then shut off and walk away. Put extra weight on the jiggler to minimize noise and water loss.

--------------------

OfflineA.k.a
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27212394 - 02/18/21 07:29 AM (15 days, 10 hours ago)

Ok so yesterday I ran 9 jars with a 3qt bag in the middle of the jar circle. I put a ring under as a spacer, but it looks like the bag needed to expand but was boxed in by the jars.

So, should I be worried about this?

I promise I’m almost through the “...but why??” Experimental phase. :seriousthankyou:

--------------------
LAGM2020

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27212713 - 02/18/21 11:52 AM (15 days, 6 hours ago)

I bet its fine haha. As long as there are no tears and afte you noc it up pu some
pressure on it to make sure there are no pinholes

--------------------

OfflineJarhead3521S
Grindin’
Male User Gallery

#27212847 - 02/18/21 01:07 PM (15 days, 4 hours ago)

I’m really tempted to order some more bags and give it another go, my grain shelf is drooping a bit from all the jars.....it’s just finding the easiest way to noc em in a SAB because let’s face it, as nice as it’s going to be when I do upgrade to a fh, it’s not high on that priority list when what I’ve got is working just fine

--------------------

LAGM21

OfflineCrackatoaS
Stranger in a strange land

Loc: Over by your Mama's house Flag
    #27214381 - 02/19/21 10:23 AM (14 days, 7 hours ago)

Is there anyway to keep condensation down inside my bag? I dry my grain for quite awhile. Is it just one of things that is just going to happen with such a big block creating heat?

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: Crackatoa]
    #27214440 - 02/19/21 10:52 AM (14 days, 7 hours ago)

Condensation is usually more prevalent in bags. It happens. Stable temps help with mitigation for sure.

--------------------

OfflineCrackatoaS
Stranger in a strange land

Loc: Over by your Mama's house Flag
    #27214450 - 02/19/21 10:57 AM (14 days, 7 hours ago)

Quote:

natedawgnow said:
Condensation is usually more prevalent in bags. It happens. Stable temps help with mitigation for sure.

I figured, nice to hear though. I hate seeing allot of condensation. Temps here have been all over the place here even with central heat trying.

OfflinerenagaderX
Stranger
    #27214533 - 02/19/21 11:41 AM (14 days, 6 hours ago)

Quote:

natedawgnow said:
Fully colonized. Waiting on this second flush to finish so I can spawn them. I need more tubs haha and space.

I got bags all over my house and it's pissing my lady off. Did manage to do 20
already though so thats good.

Buy some tubs, modify them and put all the bags in em and stack em!

Happy wife, happy life :grin::mushroom2::thumbup:

Offlinemcnugget
Stranger

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: renagaderX]
    #27215023 - 02/19/21 04:48 PM (14 days, 1 hour ago)

Just did my transfers and it sucked.  Cracked the sterilizer in front of the the flowhood and got to work.  All was good until I went to seal my first bag and realized the inside of the bag near the top was wet.  It wouldn't pull a good seal for the life of me.  It would look great but a little pressure and the seal would give out and poof me in the face.  I had tested and dialed in the impulse (AIE-405him) with the bags I was using before hand and was pulling perfect seals. 

I think the moisture was preventing a good seal.  Anyone know of ways to remedy this?  Going to be an early morning prepping grains and taking another shot at this.

--------------------

OfflineA.k.a
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27215297 - 02/19/21 07:29 PM (13 days, 22 hours ago)

Bags are rocking my world.

It’s so nice to just shake up a colonized pint, pop open a bag and dump it in, clip it shut and wait for 4qts of spawn.

So quick. No lids to mess with or anything.

:thumbup:

--------------------
LAGM2020

InvisibleMycelium Juice
Friend

Loc: planet earth
    #27215353 - 02/19/21 08:04 PM (13 days, 22 hours ago)

This is a dope write up.  Thanks for the time, effort, and knowledge transfer natedawgnow.    :brainscream: :takingnotes:

--------------------
Pirate word of the day is Agarrrrrrr 🏴‍☠️

Invisiblefilthyknees
no coincidence
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: Mycelium Juice]
    #27218234 - 02/21/21 12:45 PM (12 days, 5 hours ago)

Nate I heard you're a wheat-supremisist.

I'm also down, idk if you're interested in starting a wheat-supremist group?

maybe make a flag. Talk more later. Very serious about this.

Offlinetedoro
ToadStool Tender
Male User Gallery

#27218439 - 02/21/21 02:46 PM (12 days, 3 hours ago)

Natedawg,

Such a good writeup. Three questions:

1) What type of wheat do you use? (hard red winter for example)

2) Do you prep wheat any different for jars vs bags?

3) How do you noc your bags?

(my apologies if you've answered this somewhere, I feel like I've read most of it)

--------------------
--------------------
p9hu7's clean spawn thread

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27218524 - 02/21/21 03:56 PM (12 days, 2 hours ago)

Quote:

filthyknees said:
Nate I heard you're a wheat-supremisist.

I'm also down, idk if you're interested in starting a wheat-supremist group?

maybe make a flag. Talk more later. Very serious about this.

Wheat is king. If somebody could take that rafiki gif with him holding up
simba to the pride but replace simba with a kernel of wheat, I'd like that haha.
All about wheat supremacy :lol:

@tedoro- I just use feed grade whole wheat. Not sure of its exact cultivar as it isnt listed on the bag.

As for prep I prep jars as shown in the wheat prep linked in the OP, and for bags I just
remove from heat slightly early since bags hold onto a lot of moisture and are more prone to burst grains.

Question 3 is answered in the 2nd post of this thread. I show how I noc up these bags and how I seal using zipties

--------------------

Edited by natedawgnow (02/21/21 03:56 PM)

OfflineA.k.a
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: tedoro] * 1
    #27218526 - 02/21/21 03:56 PM (12 days, 2 hours ago)

Ah wheat supremacist.

That explains the obsession with pure, clean, untainted spawn. :lol:

--------------------
LAGM2020

OfflineMr. Mushie
    #27233184 - 03/02/21 08:10 AM (3 days, 9 hours ago)

Not sure what I'm doing wrong besides hitting 17 psi maybe once throughout the cycle.

I usually get two bags that pop, which I hear happen after cutting the stove off.

The remaining 4 have super stretched corners that rip immediately upon shaking, so i'm lucky to get one or two useable bags per cycle.

I can't think of any reasons besides the psi climbing too high during the PC cycle.

Do you think it would be better to have the pressure teeter between 14-15 the entire cycle instead of 15-16?

OfflineHide
I Have No Bung Hole

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: Mr. Mushie]
    #27233209 - 03/02/21 08:38 AM (3 days, 9 hours ago)

Did you squeeze as much air as possible out of the bags before loading them? And use jar lids to separate the bags from the sides of the cooker?

OfflineMr. Mushie
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: Hide]
    #27233215 - 03/02/21 08:47 AM (3 days, 9 hours ago)

Yes.

I spend the most time getting the bags as completely void of air as possible.

Jar lids are between the walls of the PC and in the middle of the two bags as seen in the OP.

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27233241 - 03/02/21 09:29 AM (3 days, 8 hours ago)

My thinking is that people arent dropping their heat after hitting 15psi.

Once your pc hits 15psi, are you dropping the heat on your stove? You should be able
to drop the heat down to low after it hits 15psi. If your rocker is jiggling
then your heat is too high.

It's the only thing I can think of that is leading to your issues.

I can keep my stove on full blast the entire cook and the jiggler will keep the
pc at 15psi but you're heating the walls of the cooker too much. You gotta drop the
heat on the stove to as low as possible to maintain 15psi but not so low that pressure drops.

Outside of that, I must live in a void outside of the laws of physics cause I get
maybe 1 popped bag in a year of cycles.

--------------------

OfflinecronicrM
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #27233319 - 03/02/21 10:44 AM (3 days, 7 hours ago)

what type of bags you using?

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: cronicr]
    #27233365 - 03/02/21 11:21 AM (3 days, 6 hours ago)

I use unicorn 3t standard. Ive used their thick bags also but I dont have any issues
with the standard ones. All the bags from the op are standard 3t 8.5x5x19

--------------------

OfflineMr. Mushie
    #27233411 - 03/02/21 12:00 PM (3 days, 6 hours ago)

I use the unicorn 3T bags as well.

I find my gas range to be extremely tricky to dial in. I can never get it to sit right at 15. It's usually between 16-17 or it's just dropping below 15 the entire cycle.

I find myself adjusting it (micro adjustments, hardly noticeable) every 5-10 minutes for the entire 3.5 hr cycle.

I have three quarters taped to the rocker weight, going to try 2 and see if that makes any difference in helping it stay at 15 psi.

InvisibleModularMind
M.P.F.
Male User Gallery

#27233421 - 03/02/21 12:07 PM (3 days, 5 hours ago)

Quote:

Mr. Mushie said:
I have three quarters taped to the rocker weight, going to try 2 and see if that makes any difference in helping it stay at 15 psi.

What is the weight rated without the quarters?

OfflineMr. Mushie
    #27233425 - 03/02/21 12:11 PM (3 days, 5 hours ago)

It's the standard presto 23qt regulator weight, rated for 15psi I believe.

OfflineA.k.a
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27233455 - 03/02/21 12:30 PM (3 days, 5 hours ago)

I’ve had a bunch of bags expand into weird shapes from the jars or lids around them, but hasn’t been a problem so far.

It’s weird though cuz then some bags come out perfectly fine. Probably related to heat and how much air is in the bag like you said.

--------------------
LAGM2020

Offlinetedoro
ToadStool Tender
Male User Gallery

#27233571 - 03/02/21 02:03 PM (3 days, 4 hours ago)

Its crazy they expand and pop as unsealed bags. I've gotten that when I preseal.

I agree, if steam is escaping the bobble, then the contents are boiling. If steam is escaping at the end of the cycle, the bags are completely up to temp and could boil within.

--------------------
--------------------

Invisibledfwerydfhg
Stranger
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: tedoro]
    #27233621 - 03/02/21 02:43 PM (3 days, 3 hours ago)

if the bags are popping after the heat goes off as mentioned up-thread, I'd suspect boiling on cool-down. Basically, the vapour space in the PC (around the bags) will cool and condense faster than the bags themselves, which lowers the pressure. But if the bags are still plenty hot inside, they will now be above their boiling point at that pressure, and could generate some steam.

Next time try lowering the pressure/temperature slowly- like turn off the heat for 10 mins, then put it back on low for 5 (or whatever is needed to pause the pressure decrease), and repeat for a little while.

OfflineA.k.a
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: dfwerydfhg] * 2
    #27233631 - 03/02/21 02:48 PM (3 days, 3 hours ago)

Lol I’m loving these bags so far, first one done and spawned.

--------------------
LAGM2020

Offlinetedoro
ToadStool Tender
Male User Gallery

Re: Always be baggin: How to efficiently run unsealed bags in a presto [Re: A.k.a] * 1
    #27233651 - 03/02/21 03:01 PM (3 days, 3 hours ago)

I've also noted that upon ending the PC cycle, if there are any leaks... the pressure drops too fast and the description above (hot bags boiling) happens. My Prestos are sometimes weeping a tad in the gasket. I then kick the burner on low and ease it down to zero over a 30-40 time period.

--------------------
--------------------

InvisibleModularMind
M.P.F.
Male User Gallery

#27233682 - 03/02/21 03:23 PM (3 days, 2 hours ago)

Quote:

ModularMind said:
Quote:

Mr. Mushie said:

What is the weight rated without the quarters?

Quote:

Mr. Mushie said:
It's the standard presto 23qt regulator weight, rated for 15psi I believe.

:shrug:

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27233706 - 03/02/21 03:34 PM (3 days, 2 hours ago)

Nice aka!

Glad it works for a few people haha.

--------------------

OfflineA.k.a
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27233753 - 03/02/21 04:03 PM (3 days, 2 hours ago)

I forgot to ask before, do you normally end up with the top of the grain uncolonized?

All four of mine have a bare layer on top like when I had too much gas exchange on my jar lids. I’m sure it’s not a problem since filthy did that whole tub with bare looking grains but if there’s a way to fix it I’d prefer that.

I was thinking maybe mp tape over half the filter or rolling the bag a little more so some of the filter is covered up.

--------------------
LAGM2020

Invisiblenatedawgnow
5G free since March 2020
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27233762 - 03/02/21 04:08 PM (3 days, 1 hour ago)