Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
OfflineCrackatoa
Stranger in a strange land
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Over by your Mama's house Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What happened? [Re: verytastycheese]
    #27160435 - 01/20/21 09:54 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Gypsum hasn't shown to be beneficial. Unless you throw some in a grain for extra moisture control and nobody hardly does that.

--------------------

Crack's Tek's and Shit

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineverytastycheese
Tripmaster

Re: What happened? [Re: Crackatoa]
    #27162164 - 01/21/21 06:52 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Crackatoa said:
Gypsum hasn't shown to be beneficial. Unless you throw some in a grain for extra moisture control and nobody hardly does that.

Wow I swear it was considered essential like 5 years ago haha. Okay I'll knock that off until further notice!

Offlineopenmyc
Primordium

#27162258 - 01/21/21 07:37 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

verytastycheese said:
A wild contam appears?]

I’m new to this; are you sure that’s contam and not bruising?

OfflineJustweed
Bobby's short shorts
 User Gallery

Re: What happened? [Re: Professor X]
    #27163138 - 01/22/21 09:36 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Professor X said:
If it's coir verm you can use cold tap water to prep. Yes the mold is in your jars, could be in your culture.

Not 100%. I get verm from a grow store and I've had it carry contams. I've also had gypsum lead to contaminants from that store (added the gypsum after the boiling water in the substrate mix had cooled, 8 tubs down the drain). Some vendors just have contaminated areas. I also once got a pack of stick on lights that I decided to try putting inside my tubs, each one tub that got a light got trich. I didn't think I'd need to wipe down a plastic surface straight out of the packaging but I should have! Trich can hide everywhere. If there's a chunk on the outside of the coir or verm packaging, and you handle that before putting water with it, you're likely to get trich.

--------------------

Keep 'em high and tight guys....

Offlineopenmyc
Primordium

Re: What happened? [Re: Justweed]
    #27163229 - 01/22/21 10:24 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Damn. Sorry to hear about your vendor trich-Trojan horse. I’ve been anal about sanitizing everything that might even come near a clean environment, I guess that’s a carryover from homebrewing. I’ve seen so many people around here toss weeks or months of progress at the first sight of blue/green, at others’ recommendation—and then another will chime in saying it was just bruising or penicillium, and that all would have been fine.

I understand erring on the side of caution with a contam that has the potential to sporulate and quickly ruin an entire room or lab. I guess I need to invest in a microscope next.

:havesomescience:

Keep up the good work.

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What happened? [Re: Justweed]
    #27163266 - 01/22/21 10:41 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

verytastycheese said:
Still inconsequential, at least I know the genetics will pin. But back to the theory that if you get contams before first flush it must be in your spawn? No chance it was introduced by an imperfect spawning or pasteurization of substrate? What I'm learning here is I probably need to shake my jars more to potentially reveal contams?

Moreover, I should move to liquid. I'll be reading up on your tek Josex.

Here's the jars 3 days after I shook them. At what point would you call them fully colonized and ready to spawn?

Most likely it was your spawn, yes. The good thing about knowing that it's always likely your spawn is that it narrows down the number of plausible vectors so you don't waste time looking into far more unlikely causes (like the coir or "the air", for instance), although it's never smart to rule out anything completely however unlikely.

Coir doesn't need pasteurization at all. Just put it in a bucket with the right amount of boiling water and you're set, Some people use cold tap water too with success but I prefer to boil it first. Also, gypsum is not necessary at all.

I don't like how these jars recovered from the shake, not saying they're totally fucked but they look a bit bacterial to me. The curious thing about shaking at 100% (or nearly) is that it tells you the whole story, warts and all. Maybe the jar was looking good before a shake but it doesn't look so good after it. Bacterial spawn can weaken the colony and this in turn can give mold a chance to get a foothold when spawned, so this is something to consider, although I'm not saying those jars look so bad that they'll likely give ya mold nor am I saying bacterial spawn was the cause of your mold problems.

By all means shake the jars more often. You had some mold in your jars before that looked as if it was introduced via technique. Mold in your jars can easily go unnoticed sometimes but a shake can reveal it.

The things that can get your spawn looking bacterial are a bad prep (too wet or too dry) or an insufficient cycle, your inoculant and your technique.
Your inoculant (agar) looks good to me. Introducing bacteria from technique in your jars is not very likely IMO but it can happen. How's your prep?

I wouldn't think of using LC until you fix your issues first.

Offlineopenmyc
Primordium

Re: What happened? [Re: Josex]
    #27163301 - 01/22/21 10:54 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Josex said:

I don't like how these jars recovered from the shake, not saying they're totally fucked but they look a bit bacterial to me.

Not OP, but curious because my own jars looked similar: can you help me understand what looks bacterial about these? Is it the amount of rhizomorphic/tomentose growth or something more subtle?

Thanks for your help.

Offlineverytastycheese
Tripmaster

Re: What happened? [Re: openmyc]
    #27165970 - 01/23/21 06:32 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

openmyc said:
Quote:

Josex said:

I don't like how these jars recovered from the shake, not saying they're totally fucked but they look a bit bacterial to me.

Not OP, but curious because my own jars looked similar: can you help me understand what looks bacterial about these? Is it the amount of rhizomorphic/tomentose growth or something more subtle?

Thanks for your help.

I'm also curious if you could be more specific. Those jars looked the best I've ever seen personally, but I may not have ever seen the holy grail.

Here's a pic from today

Quote:

openmyc said:
Quote:

verytastycheese said:
A wild contam appears?]

I’m new to this; are you sure that’s contam and not bruising?

Nope, it turned to classic trich shortly after. Still popping a few pins slowly, quarantined elsewhere, but dead.

Offlineopenmyc
Primordium

#27165995 - 01/23/21 06:47 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Sorry to hear it, verytasty. Thanks for updating and helping me learn.

For what it’s worth that jar looks happy and healthy to me. You should be a proud spawn parent. 👶

Offlineverytastycheese
Tripmaster

#27166020 - 01/23/21 07:05 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

openmyc said:
Sorry to hear it, verytasty. Thanks for updating and helping me learn.

For what it’s worth that jar looks happy and healthy to me. You should be a proud spawn parent. 👶

I still think it is. I'm hoping it was just the lighting I took the previous picture in, it was a different color temp and might have thrown him off or something. But it still has me head scratching.

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #27166029 - 01/23/21 07:11 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

I may be a bit too picky. One thing is for sure, perfect spawn is the hardest thing to achieve in this hobby. I'm not sayin your jars look bad, I actually think they're spawn-able, it's just that I think they look a bit bacterial but not the end of the world.

Myc looks a bit stressed and I don't say that for those rhizos that is shooting out (this can be considered an indication of bacterial spawn in some cases) because your cultures have been throwing out some crazy rhizos on agar too so I don't know what to think about it tbh. They're covering the grains too lightly to my liking to the point they almost look uncolonized, that's the part I like less about those jars.
Growth is also patchy and not uniform.

Edited by Josex (01/23/21 07:34 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate