Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Dehydrator, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFMPO
Stranger
first attempt
    #27153619 - 01/17/21 04:25 PM (1 month, 9 days ago)

A couple questions on my first BRF attempt. I've read alot but I'm a total novice.  Eight days ago I followed the traditional BRF PFTek to a tee and inoculated five, 8 oz BRF jars from a spore syringe I purchased through 4 holes in the lids covered with the breathable medical tape.  Good news is no visible contamination in any of them. Of the 5, the best one has growth covering about a third of the side of the jar and a small spot on the opposite side.  The one with the least progress has only 2 small circles of growth about an inch in diameter.  All 5 were inoculated from the same syringe and I used about 7 of the 10 cc in the syringe, spread pretty much evenly acrossthe 5 jars.  The jars have been at 75 to 80 F since inoculation.  Is what I'm seeing 8 days in normal or is it ok/adviseable to inject some of them again?
Any harm doing that?

Second question...being new, I'm uncertain whether I'll be able to tell when the 1 week consolidation period should start.  If I wanted to play it safe is there any danger letting it go too long?  What happens if you let the substrate consolidate 2 weeks, 3 weeks or more?  Is there a point where they will be ruined?   

Thanks

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblecoversall
إِنْ شَاءَ ٱللَهُ‎

Loc: संसार
Re: first attempt [Re: FMPO]
    #27153624 - 01/17/21 04:28 PM (1 month, 9 days ago)

I wouldn't stress too much about the consolidation period. It's by no means an exact thing. Once all the visible cake is covered in myc, wait another week. Wainting longer isn't terrible, but you want to keep the momentum of the grow up. If you life is throwing you a curve ball and fruiting isn't an option then you could store your jars in the fridge. Someone else would have to advise you on that as it isn't something I've done yet.

The caveat being is you are going to grate your cakes and mix them with coir then you don't need to let them consolidate.

I wouldn't rush the other jars, give them more time. If want to inject stuff again, knock up some new jars.

Welcome! And good luck with the grow, I look forward to seeing photos!

:retrocool:

Quick additional question

Did you give the syringe a good shake before injecting?

--------------------

..:: B E H E R E N O W ::..

..:: New? Lost? Click here! ::..
..:: Grow logs and other rubbish ::..

Edited by coversall (01/17/21 04:37 PM)

OfflineFMPO
Stranger
Re: first attempt [Re: coversall]
    #27154199 - 01/17/21 10:31 PM (1 month, 9 days ago)

Thanks so much.  Yes, I did shake the syringe pretty good.  Not enough to break up the entire chunk of black stuff, but enough that there was a whole lot of smaller stuff swirling around.  Basically I shook til I got to the point of diminishing returns.  Should I have gone further?

OfflineGrinchGrower
N00B
Male User Gallery

#27154438 - 01/18/21 01:15 AM (1 month, 9 days ago)

No, a very small amount of inoculant is fine.
Don't re-inject them just give it time to colonize.

OfflineFMPO
Stranger
Re: first attempt [Re: GrinchGrower]
    #27154892 - 01/18/21 10:01 AM (1 month, 8 days ago)

Thanks! Sounds like things are going ok. I'll leave them alone.
So in the event that a few are ready to birth ahead of the others, should I do that or wait and birth them all at once?

Invisiblecoversall
إِنْ شَاءَ ٱللَهُ‎

Loc: संसार
    #27154929 - 01/18/21 10:30 AM (1 month, 8 days ago)

Up to you really. If enough finish up at the same time I highly recommend making them into a shoebox, like the link in my first response. The one thing to consider is that a SGFC need to be full of cakes, or to put it another way, the size of the fruiting chamber needs to be relative to the number of cakes.

Too few in a big chamber will results in trouble maintaining the right climate.

--------------------

..:: B E H E R E N O W ::..

..:: New? Lost? Click here! ::..
..:: Grow logs and other rubbish ::..

OfflineFMPO
Stranger
Re: first attempt [Re: coversall]
    #27158873 - 01/20/21 09:28 AM (1 month, 6 days ago)

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't realized the SGFC has to be sized appropriately to the number for jars, but makes sense.  Jars are progressing, a few are still way ahead of the others.  Also noticed 3 of my 5 jars had cracks in the bases.  I believe my sterilization pot ran out of water briefly so I think that was it.  Hope they stay together til the end!!

OfflineFMPO
Stranger
    #27203577 - 02/13/21 02:25 PM (13 days, 14 hours ago)

So I birthed my first batch of BRF jars 2/8, about 4 weeks after inoculation. I had concerns that some were growing slower than the others, but things seem to be progressing ok (I think, anyway!).  Here are the 5 cakes in my SGFC:

BTW, I had heard it was hard to get verm to stick to the cakes, but I had absolutely no problem at all as you can see from the pics.  Maybe my verm is finer than most? 

I keep the chamber between 75 and 80 with 6500K lights on 12 hours a day. The Perlite seems to be keeping humidity over 90% and I mist 4 times a day.

Here are a few close-ups:

How do they look? 
So far I have only been misting and not adding water to the trays under each cake.  Should I start doing that at this point or just stay with misting?

What would you estimate time from here to first flush?

Thanks

OfflineFungi Rogers
New Guy

#27203672 - 02/13/21 03:10 PM (13 days, 13 hours ago)

Quote:

FMPO said:

How do they look? 

It looks like you got some mushrooms :smile: good job.  I’d just keep with misting since it’s been working. With cakes the whole time to first flush is kinda hard to predict I mean you could just pick them as they mature. Or you could wait for a majority of them to mature and pick them then dunk them

OfflineFMPO
Stranger
Re: first attempt [Re: Fungi Rogers]
    #27205055 - 02/14/21 10:20 AM (12 days, 18 hours ago)

So I harvested my very first shroom today (that big one from my previous post which grew quite a bit overnight):

Is this a typical size/weight?
Did I harvest at the right time?

Since nothing else looks like it's going to be ready to harvest I threw this one in the dehydrator.  Started with 150F for 12 hrs and will adjust as required.  I cut it in half to speed drying and it looks like this: 

Had I not read about the blue bruising here I would have been worried but I think it's ok, right?

OfflineFungi Rogers
New Guy

#27205676 - 02/14/21 04:53 PM (12 days, 12 hours ago)

Bruising is fine all cubes will do it.

As for typical size/weight it will always vary depending on the variety/genetics/cloning and what not also environment will also change them. That one looks like a little fat mutant. Might be wrong but I believe cracked caps is from it being too dry

OfflineFMPO
Stranger
Re: first attempt [Re: Fungi Rogers]
    #27207021 - 02/15/21 10:51 AM (11 days, 18 hours ago)

I've been misting pretty regularly about 4 times a day, but avoid getting the fruits too wet (dripping).  I thought I read somewhere in my travels to not do this.  Is it ok (or even recommended) to spray them really good?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Dehydrator, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started