Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinepapasmurf85
Stranger
Are these golden teachers and do they look ok?
    #27153317 - 01/17/21 11:48 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Hello all,

These mushrooms were gifted to me. I was told that they're golden teachers. Would anybody be able to confirm? More importantly, do they look ok?

They feel dry, but they certainly wouldn't crack. More of a bendy and chewy sort of dry (although I haven't tried them yet)...

I'm quite new to all of this, so forgive my ignorance... They look a little mouldy. Or is that just bruising? They also smell a little cheesey...

I'm currently storing them in a glass kilner jar. Should I place a desiccant in there with them?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineChakatron
JOOSA JOOSA
Male

Loc: Your Face Flag
Re: Are these golden teachers and do they look ok? [Re: papasmurf85]
    #27153343 - 01/17/21 11:57 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Cubensis. They need to be dried to cracker dry. No mold but if you store them that way they will mold.

--------------------

Offlinepapasmurf85
Stranger
Re: Are these golden teachers and do they look ok? [Re: Chakatron]
    #27153650 - 01/17/21 02:39 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Chakatron said:
Cubensis. They need to be dried to cracker dry. No mold but if you store them that way they will mold.

Ok thank you. So they should literally snap if I were to bend them? What are the darker bits around the base of the mushrooms?
How do you recommend drying? I don't have a dehydrator. I'll also search the forum for drying tips but interested to know your preferred method. Thank you.

Edited by papasmurf85 (01/17/21 02:41 PM)

OfflineFor9758
 User Gallery

#27154249 - 01/17/21 08:53 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

I'm not sure where youre located, but I've been able to pick up small 5 tray dehydrator for 40 bucks. Trust me, it saves alot of headaches. I thought I could dry my mushrooms out with a fan and the sun, it only left me dissapoint 6 months later when they were no good. That 40 dollar dehydrator has been my best investment with the mushies,  plus its handy for other things as well. I was just like you, no dehydrator and I did it wrong. Thats how you learn.

Since they are almost dry though, I wouldnt recommend doing this if they are still really wet, because the water doesn't evaporate off right and leaves the mushies very funky, but you can turn your oven at the lowest heat, and with the door cracked open, leave them in there to finish the drying. As long as you don't burn them they will be okay

OfflineSnowday
scrommin
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Are these golden teachers and do they look ok? [Re: For9758]
    #27154566 - 01/18/21 01:51 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

For9758 said:
I'm not sure where youre located, but I've been able to pick up small 5 tray dehydrator for 40 bucks. Trust me, it saves alot of headaches. I thought I could dry my mushrooms out with a fan and the sun, it only left me dissapoint 6 months later when they were no good. That 40 dollar dehydrator has been my best investment with the mushies,  plus its handy for other things as well. I was just like you, no dehydrator and I did it wrong. Thats how you learn.

Since they are almost dry though, I wouldnt recommend doing this if they are still really wet, because the water doesn't evaporate off right and leaves the mushies very funky, but you can turn your oven at the lowest heat, and with the door cracked open, leave them in there to finish the drying. As long as you don't burn them they will be okay

unless im misunderstanding, they got gifted a couple grams of shrooms, no need to purchase a dehydrator??

OP lay them out on card board or whatever and let a fan blow across them for a day, they'll be plenty dry, and if you plan to really save them long term get some desiccant.

and also yes, in my experience dried cubensis can smell pretty funky, stale cheesy-dirty popcorn, especially if they're not cracker-dry or close to it.

--------------------
P. coconuscens

Edited by Snowday (01/18/21 01:53 AM)

Offlinepapasmurf85
Stranger
Re: Are these golden teachers and do they look ok? [Re: Snowday]
    #27155506 - 01/18/21 01:41 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Thank you both very much for the advice. I was gifted 10 grams :-) With current moisture content anyway... Quite a gift :-)

Even so, I don't think the dehydrator is the way for this batch, but certainly a consideration for the future as I intend to eventually grow. I also don't own a fan, so think I'll be trying the oven method...

Is the kilner jar a good place to store? I know ziplocks seem a popular choice. Is glass not advisable for any reason?

Finally, when you say get some desiccant, do you specifically mean the little silica gel packets?

e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cotton-Packets-Silica-Desiccant-Moistureproof/dp/B00F5VZ1NA/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=silica+gel&qid=1611002348&sr=8-4

Many thanks!

OfflineJadedgreen
Stranger
Female

#27155658 - 01/18/21 02:55 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Plan to get a dehydrator ahead of time because it can be a hassle due to COVID-19.  You know outdoors and cooking shops take extra precautions and encourage curbside pickups

That being said those cubes look pretty “Fantasmic!” to me

OfflineRenegadeMycologist
On the case
Male User Gallery

Loc: Serbia Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: Are these golden teachers and do they look ok? [Re: Jadedgreen]
    #27156673 - 01/19/21 03:12 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

@jadegreen turd
Yeah cnn has thought you well. If you don't write it in big letters, we could maybe miss it.
Thanks for your tremendous input.

--------------------
:mushroom2:  l e a r n i n g  t h i n g s :mushroom2:

OfflineMpSeph
Cow Field Creature
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA
Re: Are these golden teachers and do they look ok? [Re: RenegadeMycologist]
    #27157237 - 01/19/21 11:10 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Lmao

--------------------
Tips For A Beginner Mushroom Hunter

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27146775

One Who Hunts Mushrooms Is A Mushroom Hunter. One Who Eats Them Without Knowing What They Are, Is A Dumb Mushroom Hunter. - Seph

OfflineJadedgreen
Stranger
Female

Re: Are these golden teachers and do they look ok? [Re: MpSeph]
    #27159827 - 01/20/21 03:52 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah It was Fox News that told me exactly where to stand and see the reflections and if the dehydrator was only of a sentimental fucking value
Where is my door dash asshole?

Alright you made me angry but what the fuck?

What the fuck does CNN tell you and who gives a shit?

And yeah I spell it with all caps so what
I’m going to continue not getting my point across with your statement about how discuss what was on the new is of no relevance at all Old news is trash and is not bold news that you would bring up to a colleague  or someone that you work with or you mention my name as if I am lo and below that

Edited by Jadedgreen (01/20/21 04:13 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies