Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAstroT
Stranger
2n'd try at spawn to bulk.
    #27147348 - 01/14/21 11:10 AM (1 month, 12 days ago)

Hi,

I started this hobby early December so am very new at this.

Please critique, comment or advise, I will appreciate any knowledge you are willing to transfer :smile:

I have tried searching the forum and web in general but have not found an answer as yet.

I basically got hold of a syringe of LC PE and tried rice for the second time, I think the rice was too wet as I got very very little mycelium growth (the rice is still in the jars, basically unchanged around 3 weeks later) but luckily for me I also made myself a jar of 4% honey LC so all was not lost.

I made some agar once the LC had colonized (20g agar 20g lme 1l as base ratio) and made 12 agar jars from the LC. 11 of them worked perfectly, one of them grew some Trich and got flooded with 96% ISO to kill off any spores.

Due to the one infection I changed my SAB to a glove box and now whenever I work in it I drench the entire inside of it as well as all items that go into it with 80% Alcohol then leave it for 15 minutes before I start to work, problem is that lighters do not work in the glove box so it's 100% sterilization by alcohol.

I made several jars using a variation of 24h soak and simmer.
I put 2kg popcorn into 30'c water, added 1/4cup sugar and a packet of yeast inside a fermentation bucket with bubbler, stirred it up and sealed it for 24 hours.

Once that was done I added some coffee and honey to a pot and simmered it all together till I could break the kernels with my thumbnail and there were no dry bits left inside.

I then air dried this till the outsides were completely dry, added to jars and PC'd for 90 minutes.

Once cool these went in the glove box with the agar and I inoculated them all.
Out of a total of 12 jars 1 got infected.

They were shook up 3 times and all looked good when I decided to try make and use a monotub.

Anyway, I ended up making the monotub and did the spawn to bulk 6 days ago.

Since then I left it in a walk in safe so absolute darkness but with all the polyfill and micropore tape holes left open to circulate air.
I have read conflicting views on this, some say keep the holes sealed, other say leave them open.

I have not had the best of mycelium growth, should I have closed the air holes?

I am considering leaving the tub like this till it's fully colonized, good idea or bad idea?

Finally I have a shotgun chamber but have never used it, I am considering trying these in it (popcorn, coffee and honey). think it would work?

Apologies for the wall of text.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePudinLicous
hoogey boogey land
 User Gallery

Re: 2n'd try at spawn to bulk. [Re: AstroT]
    #27148192 - 01/14/21 07:14 PM (1 month, 12 days ago)

man that is a lot to go over. in the future, you might do better to break up your questions.

You seem to be over-complicating things for your first grow. I'd pick one easy tek and just ride it through. You will have better results that way than trying to do a lot at once.

1. I would not recommend popcorn, and definitely keep the recipe free of additions for now, (coffee, honey, etc). Keep it simple.

2. Impossible to tell from the photos what is up in your monotub. What is your grain to spawn ratio? Also it does not need to be in the dark. Light is better actually.

3. Hard to say from the blurry pic, but that looks like a fat trich blob growing in the middle

4. You should use the sgfc with your cakes and try to get some fruits while you do more research.

Keep it up though. You will get there!

OfflineAstroT
Stranger

Re: 2n'd try at spawn to bulk. [Re: PudinLicous]
    #27148948 - 01/15/21 03:43 AM (1 month, 12 days ago)

Thank you for the response and information.

1. I'll try brf cakes next time round. Got the popcorn idea from chronicles of bod and had much better success than brown rice, but possibly also because of having a better understanding of the process.

2. It's 2 jars spawn to 7 jars cvg layered.

3. :frown:

4. Already on it :smile: thanks again.

OfflineBeano
Agar agar agar! ...
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: AB Flag
Re: 2n'd try at spawn to bulk. [Re: AstroT]
    #27150734 - 01/16/21 01:58 AM (1 month, 11 days ago)

I personally like popcorn.  Simple to hydrate and breaks up easily. Careful not to over complicate things by adding all sorts of extras to your soak water. I leave mine in a bucket with water until I get my ass in gear and cook it. Usually a couple days at most. I usually see the water level 'drop' as the grains hydrate and get nice and plump. I use every collinder in the house and let the grains drip dry for a good while, usually 20-30 minutes. 

With tubs, shoebox, etc you'll want to get the feel for surface conditions. Ideally you don't want to touch it until its time to have a snack. Evaporation is the name of the game, the more controlled the better. There is a big difference between air exchange and air circulation, however. A draft of any sort through your tub will dry out the surface of your substrate and shut things down. Unless you live in a humid part of the planet I wouldn't recommend unprotected openings. A good illustration of FAE would be the areas around your holes with no condensation. Some folks like to keeps things sealed up to allow the substrate to colonize fully, others spawn in a fruiting environment. I've had success with both techniques.

In my opinion you are well beyond the BRF cake stage. In the time it takes for a half pint to colonize and consolidate you could realistically use clean spawn in properly pasteurized sub to get a far more rewarding harvest.  In my experience, at least.

Oh and id keep a very close eye on the vivid white circle in the middle of that tub.
Looks suss

:billymayshead:

--------------------
Ope!
Gonna go ahead and
Sneak past ya here

OfflineAstroT
Stranger

Re: 2n'd try at spawn to bulk. [Re: Beano]
    #27173962 - 01/28/21 04:35 AM (30 days, 36 minutes ago)

Hi and thank you for your response @beano

Apologies for the almost 2 week pause in responding but it's been a bit hectic.

You guys were right about the trich, I have tried several different methods to try get mushrooms out of this lc and have given up on it for now.

I never had any great success with it so my guess is either it got contaminated while I was making the lc or the original syringe was contaminated.

I still have it as well as 6 agar jars in the fridge and 4 jars of popcorn in my safe. I'll keep the agar and chuck the rest.

I have some gt and a+ syringes on the way, I'll start again with those.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started