Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Hot Plate, Petri Dish, Portable Greenhouse, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDeadCriteria
Pyschonaut

Hey guys, plus questions
    #27150444 - 01/15/21 10:13 PM (1 month, 16 days ago)

Hey it's been a year but I'm back with more motivation and a more favourable growing environment lol. I've got a greenhouse set up and I got a coco coir kit that skips inoculation to get started again. Day 11, I'll get pics asap. Just received syringes (Red Boy, Penis Envy 6, Orissa India, and Puerto Rican) and waiting on presterilized rye jars. Learning slowly, I want to make my own rye bags after finding bulk rye at a local store.
Now onto my question. I boiled rye grain and dumped it along with the water into the coir and vermiculite. I plan an using one of my tub cakes to break up and mix into it to extend my mycelium to grow more trays. What I've heard it's doing that with spent cakes and just coco makes it so the myc has very little nutrients.

So is adding grain a good idea?
(Excuse my adhd rant lol)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFrostyStipe

Re: Hey guys, plus questions [Re: DeadCriteria]
    #27150460 - 01/15/21 10:20 PM (1 month, 16 days ago)

What you are trying to do, does not sound like it will be successful.

Start here:
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24420178#24420178

Pick a tek and follow it. PF tek is a good place to start.

--------------------
1% tripping balls 99% doing dishes

Edited by FrostyStipe (01/15/21 10:23 PM)

Invisiblebigfootscreepyuncl
Stranger

Loc: Gamehenge
    #27150461 - 01/15/21 10:21 PM (1 month, 16 days ago)

I would definitely not use grain water to hydrate your coir. If you do it will explode with mold. Just use water, there's no need to reinvent the wheel. Coir is used as a substrate BECAUSE it has no nutrients. It's sole purpose is to give the mycelium a medium to grow in/through and maintain a humid environment.

Also, I wouldn't try and stretch the kit you got. Just do it as is and hope for the best. They don't have a good success rate (not trying to completely kill your buzz..sorry).

Save yourself some headache and money and either start with some BRF cakes (because they're cheap, easy as fuck, can be shredded to grow bulk and don't need a pressure cooker) or buy a pressure cooker (which you need to work with grains, anyway) and start with agar (which is also easy as fuck). Cheers, mate. I hope my ADHD response to your ADHD questions helps!

--------------------
Bigfoots LAGM21

OfflineDeadCriteria
Pyschonaut

Re: Hey guys, plus questions [Re: bigfootscreepyuncl]
    #27150675 - 01/16/21 12:44 AM (1 month, 16 days ago)

I appreciate your response. I already tried it, so it will be an experiment. I've still got 5 other trays. Also that's not entirely true about kits. I've used this one last year with a decent first flush, and a meh second. And I was growing in a camper haha. And coco isn't very nutritious, but to say it has none is false.
Anyhow thanks for the input!

OfflineDeadCriteria
Pyschonaut

Re: Hey guys, plus questions [Re: FrostyStipe]
    #27150688 - 01/16/21 12:54 AM (1 month, 16 days ago)

Lol thanks I definitely never looked into proper Tek in the 3yrs I've been growing. Maybe actually post something yourself to show what you've done instead of just sending useless responses.

OfflineDoctor MarioS
πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„
Male

Loc: πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
    #27150690 - 01/16/21 12:55 AM (1 month, 16 days ago)

The problem with kits as that you have to trust that the vendor was absolutely certain it wasn't contaminated before it was shipped to you. Most kits end up going bacterial because they weren't properly sterilized and/or over hydrated. I would feel much better doing all the prep as opposed to buying someone else's stuff. If something contaminates I know that it was my fault and I need to re-evaluate my grain/sub prep. If your kit contams, you'll never know if it was your fault or the vendor's. Besides, once you realize that you love doing this, you'll end up making your own stuff anyway. All the money spent on kits could have gone toward a pressure cooker, petri dishes, agar material, grain and coir. That's all you really need to get started.

OfflineFrostyStipe

Re: Hey guys, plus questions [Re: Doctor Mario]
    #27150707 - 01/16/21 01:15 AM (1 month, 16 days ago)

Lol k.

Good luck with your mold bag.

Post pics when it's done. Maybe everyone else is doing it wrong and you are the only one growing mushrooms the right way.

--------------------
1% tripping balls 99% doing dishes

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Hot Plate, Petri Dish, Portable Greenhouse, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started