Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Malt Extract, Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTranscendent Other
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Young Cubensis spore print never grows: dead spores?
    #27147001 - 01/14/21 04:45 AM (1 month, 16 days ago)

Around 1.5 - 2 years ago I successfully grew my first Golden Teacher grow kit that I bough online, from which I produced a couple of spore prints. The fruits weren't particularly big, but the prints were nice and dark so I was happy.

On a number of occasions i've used spores from those prints; attempting to grow out on agar, attempting to make a spore syringes, and attempting to make LC... And not one one occasion has it resulted in any mycelium growing!

I wondered what could be the cause? The fruits were quite small, all of about 3cm I think; is it possible to capture spores before they're mature enough to germinate?

Other than the prints i have no cube strains, so considered buying another kit, or alternatively requesting a print from some willing fellow on here (in which case if you can point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated).

Thanks in advance.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFrostyStipe

Re: Young Cubensis spore print never grows: dead spores? [Re: Transcendent Other]
    #27147215 - 01/14/21 09:28 AM (1 month, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Transcendent Other said:
is it possible to capture spores before they're mature enough to germinate?

No, it is possible your print is sterile, but highly unlikely. What was your process for taking the print?

Your best bet is to keep trying agar. What was your process for your agar attempts?

--------------------
1% tripping balls 99% doing dishes

Stranger

Re: Young Cubensis spore print never grows: dead spores? [Re: FrostyStipe]
    #27147236 - 01/14/21 09:51 AM (1 month, 16 days ago)

Prints: Tin foil, cleaned with isopropyl alc before placing cap on it, then placing a glass over it. Left for around 24 hours.

Agar: MEA sterilised in PC, 45mins 15psi, poured in sterile SAB. The agar should be okay, as its the only process i use and i've had other strains growing.

When you say 'sterile spores', in this instance I assume them being sterile renders them unviable?

OfflineFrostyStipe

Re: Young Cubensis spore print never grows: dead spores? [Re: Transcendent Other]
    #27147267 - 01/14/21 10:20 AM (1 month, 16 days ago)

And you have thick dark prints? Are you using enough spores on the plates? Sometime I've to swab a lot on to get germination.

Sterility- I probably shouldn't have mentioned it because I don't know enough to comment more. Some spores can be sterile, non-reproductive. Unless you cooked or irridiated your prints I doubt that the case in this situation.

Edited by FrostyStipe (01/14/21 10:20 AM)

Stranger

#27148960 - 01/15/21 04:10 AM (1 month, 15 days ago)

Yeah i'd say so, i mean it leaves a visible little black pile. I'd give it another go but seeing as i have 2 LC jars, 3 agar dishes and 4 grain jars, all inoculated either with the spores directly or with some for f spore syringe I can't see that its worth it.

Oh I see what you mean! Hmm well I can't imagine thats the case. I mean i keep them wrapped in tin foil in a baggie, either tucked away in a drawer or stored in  Box in my cupboard (such as they currently are).

Any idea how it works with getting hold of prints on here? I've had a look but couldn't figure out if there was a resource list or something on here.

OfflineFrostyStipe

#27149214 - 01/15/21 08:56 AM (1 month, 15 days ago)

What's your agar recipe? Maybe mix it a little richer?

There is a vendor forum and a list of vendors somewhere on the main site 

There is a trades forum restricted to accounts with 50 post that are at least 90 days old to weed out the weirdos.

Check your PM's.

--------------------

Edited by FrostyStipe (01/15/21 09:07 AM)

Stranger

#27149361 - 01/15/21 10:50 AM (1 month, 15 days ago)

Recipe:
20g Agar
20g Malt Extract
2g nutritional yeast

Thanks for the PM and thanks for pointing me to the vendor list; i did check that but couldn't find anything related to prints. That said i'll dig around and see what I can find, they're surely on there somewhere!

Stranger

#27166673 - 01/24/21 08:12 AM (1 month, 6 days ago)

UPDATE

So over the last week or so I've had some sort of growth on my plates (pictured below). The growth is quite irregular, and I was thinking its probably contam... However... there are a few things that are hinting at the possibility I may - to my surprise - have some slow growing mycelium:

Why I think it could be
1. Where the growth is most dense it is a bright white

2. The locality of the growth; on every dish it emanates from the spores (with the odd patch here and there, where i possibly dropped other spores when trying to tap the spores off of the knife tip)

3. There is no other signs of contam, and other than the white growth the plates are completely clean

Why I think it might not be
1. Under a microscope (all be it a fairly cheap one) There are no distinguishable hyphae

2. The growth looks powdery rather than Tomentose or Rhizomorphic

3. The growth pattern seems quite irregular (even around the visible spores, where growth is sporadic a mix of thin growth and dense mounds; see last image).

That said, I have no idea what Golden Teacher mycelium is suppose to look like, or what its growth rate generally is!

Would appreciate any insight before I bin them.

Thanks in advance :smile:

OfflineFrostyStipe

#27166914 - 01/24/21 11:15 AM (1 month, 6 days ago)

That looks right. Germination plates are usually pretty ugly.

Here's the last one I did.

After a couple transfers a culture starts to look better.

That gt2 plate looks promising.

Disclaimer: I've only been working with agar a couple months, someone else may have better advice.

--------------------

Edited by FrostyStipe (01/24/21 11:16 AM)

Offlinehazelover13
Stranger
    #27169125 - 01/25/21 03:16 PM (1 month, 5 days ago)

Spores sometimes need 1-2 week to germinate on agar, especially if they are a little older. I would suggest to start transfering agar from the GT2 plate away. Take some small pices from the outline of the myc and go with that. Transfer rhizotonic growth if you see some.

Stranger

Re: Young Cubensis spore print never grows: dead spores? [Re: hazelover13]
    #27177483 - 01/30/21 08:59 AM (1 month, 16 hours ago)

Okay, thanks for the tips!

I've actually worked with agar a little before, but only with button mushrooms, and the mycelium is so different!

I'll keep transferring and keep you posted :smile:

OfflineLordbudly
Apprentice Mycologist
Male User Gallery
    #27178687 - 01/31/21 01:03 AM (1 month, 19 minutes ago)

Quote:

Transcendent Other said:
Okay, thanks for the tips!

I've actually worked with agar a little before, but only with button mushrooms, and the mycelium is so different!

I'll keep transferring and keep you posted :smile:

My golden teacher spores took much longer to germinate then mu koh sumoi super strain,  like 20 days before visible mycelium

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Malt Extract, Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started