Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   OlympusMyco.com CVG Mushroom Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleShroombitz
Not entitled to a title
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Oyster / Pleurotus ostreatus grain spawn
    #27141494 - 01/11/21 08:40 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Hi guys,

today I got a bag of oyster mushroom (pleurotus ostreatus) grain spawn by mistake (I have ordered lion mane)

I have no experience with fruiting that one all, but I got some supplies at home, like saw dust, vermiculite, perlite, coco coir and grow bags / tubs of different sizes.

Can you recommend an easy way to fruit it in my apartment at around 20 °C ? Can I just spawn it in a monotub mixed with coir like cubes? :grin:

I have read the spores could be troublesome? :confused:

--------------------
Ask not what your shrooms can do for you, ask what you can do for your shrooms.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShutEye
Noob
 User Gallery

Loc: RVA
Re: Oyster / Pleurotus ostreatus grain spawn [Re: Shroombitz]
    #27141602 - 01/11/21 09:35 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

If you have grown lion's mane before then you should have no problem with oysters. They grow on almost anything from straw, sawdust, cardboard and spent coffee grounds. They colonize fast and out compete most contamination.

I've grown them on buckets outside in the fall and a tent indoors but I'm sure you can fruit them in a tub inside, just make sure to mist and lift the lid often when they start to pin so they can get fresh air. They love FAE so a small fan could help. Also pick them before they release spores because they have a ton and are not good to breathe in.

Edited by ShutEye (01/11/21 09:37 AM)

InvisibleShroombitz
Not entitled to a title

Re: Oyster / Pleurotus ostreatus grain spawn [Re: ShutEye]
    #27141685 - 01/11/21 10:13 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ShutEye said:
If you have grown lion's mane before then you should have no problem with oysters. They grow on almost anything from straw, sawdust, cardboard and spent coffee grounds. They colonize fast and out compete most contamination.

I've grown them on buckets outside in the fall and a tent indoors but I'm sure you can fruit them in a tub inside, just make sure to mist and lift the lid often when they start to pin so they can get fresh air. They love FAE so a small fan could help. Also pick them before they release spores because they have a ton and are not good to breathe in.

Cheers mate, actually I haven't grown anything other than cubes yet

So spawning them like cubes in coir/vermiculite-mix in a monotub at room temperatures could work or should I rather use saw dust?
Wait did you say cardboard? How does that work? ^^

Yeah picking them before they sporulating sounds reasonable :grin:

--------------------

OfflineShutEye
Noob
 User Gallery

#27141756 - 01/11/21 10:46 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

They are a wood loving so they won't do well on coir vermiculite like cubes. I use straw that I cut up into small pieces and soak in a water bath overnight with hydrated lime to pasteurize before mixing with the spawn. I use 5 gallon buckets with 8-10 small holes (5/16) drilled around the outside.

I've seen videos of people using anything from hardwood shavings (pet bedding) to cardboard to grow oysters. They even just fill up plastic laundry baskets with straw/cardboard and cover with burlap or plastic until colonized then set outside to fruit. The Cardboard with cut or torn into smaller pieces and soaked with water before being added. You can use hot water (71-80c) to pasteurize most of these substrates pretty easily in a cooler.

Keeping the substrate moist during colonization is important so cover whatever you are using with a tub or plastic until you fruit them let them have fresh air and mist with water a couple times a day. Shoot for a 10% spawn to substrate ratio.

InvisibleShroombitz
Not entitled to a title

#27143345 - 01/12/21 08:22 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Okay cardboard and/or pet bedding it is :smile:

I think I got like 6 liters of spawn, that's gonna be a huge amount going 1:10 :shocked:

Do you think a SGFC could do the job as a big fruiting chamber too? (Maybe by closing most of the holes)
One massive cake so to say, maybe covering the entire tub by a plastic bag to keep RH high

If I get it right, you want a fruiting chamber with holes for the fruiting bodies to grow through, right?

Sorry for my newbish sounding questions :grin:

--------------------

Offlinesendmehummus
AT Hiker
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #27143686 - 01/12/21 11:44 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Dude you are never gonna get good oysters (other than Kings) out of an SGFC. I fruit from a tote that has an auto mister and PC fan that pumps in air every 5 mins and still dont get ideal fruits. They are totally edible this way but a far cry from being perfect. A SGFC will be even worse, they will be severely oxygen starved.

--------------------
Be patient and keep it simple.

InvisibleShroombitz
Not entitled to a title

Re: Oyster / Pleurotus ostreatus grain spawn [Re: sendmehummus]
    #27144075 - 01/12/21 03:11 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

A 5 gallon bucket mit 10 holes or a 10 gallon tub with 20 holes (by closing the right holes of the SGFC)
What is the difference that would make it stop working?

I could also use a new 10 gallon tub and drill 20 holes in it (and not call it a converted SGFC), would that make it work? ^^

Anyway, any other ideas on how to fruit 60+ liters? Is there a garbage bag tek or such? :grin:

--------------------

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginia, USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #27144111 - 01/12/21 03:38 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

sendmehummus said:
Dude you are never gonna get good oysters (other than Kings) out of an SGFC. I fruit from a tote that has an auto mister and PC fan that pumps in air every 5 mins and still dont get ideal fruits. They are totally edible this way but a far cry from being perfect. A SGFC will be even worse, they will be severely oxygen starved.

Sendmehummus is absolutely correct!! So either buy bags or grow from a 5-gallon bucket. They need a lot of FAE so I would just put the bucket/bag somewhere so it gets sunlight and mist often you will not get great fruits but you will get fruits. Bags are easier because you can supplement and PC them to increase your yield...

https://myersmushrooms.com/shop/ols/products/200-mushroom-grow-bags-5-7-lb-14a

InvisibleShroombitz
Not entitled to a title

Re: Oyster / Pleurotus ostreatus grain spawn [Re: SHROOMSISAY01]
    #27144232 - 01/12/21 05:10 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks guys, but I am just trying to get something (some fruits and some experience) out of a free bag of grain spawn rather than just throwing it away.

So I am looking for the easiest and cheapest possible solution to do so. We are in lockdown here so I am limited with what I have at home and what a regular supermarket (not Walmart or such) provides.

I got mushroom growbags 20inch by 10inch (opening) at home, would that work? Would I need an additional humidity chamber / plastic bag or such to keep RH high?

--------------------

OfflineShutEye
Noob
 User Gallery

#27144381 - 01/12/21 06:30 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

The mushroom bags should work great. If they have a filter patch then you don't need holes poked while colonizing. As soon as it is all white, poke a few holes or make a couple cuts in the bag to let it fruit. Be sure to spray the fruit a couple times a day while it's growing so they don't abort.

This dude has a good bucket tek you could use or get the general idea and improvise.
https://learn.freshcap.com/growing/bucket-grow/

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27144491 - 01/12/21 07:11 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Yea use the grow bags inoculate the sub and twist the bag above the filter patch and seal it with a zip tie or something and let it colonize. Then when you are ready to fruit remove the zip tie and twist the bag until it is tight against the sub and zip tie again. Then flip the bag over and slice the very bottom of the bag where the seam is the part that it was sitting on while colonizing from corner to corner diagonally across the seam. When slicing the bag try not to lift the bag you want one thin slice with the bag still stuck to the sub this will prevent it from pinning under the bag. Where you slice should be nice and flat from it sitting on it while colonizing so it should be easy.

InvisibleShroombitz
Not entitled to a title

#27145464 - 01/13/21 09:37 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

SHROOMSISAY01 said:
Yea use the grow bags inoculate the sub and twist the bag above the filter patch and seal it with a zip tie or something and let it colonize. Then when you are ready to fruit remove the zip tie and twist the bag until it is tight against the sub and zip tie again. Then flip the bag over and slice the very bottom of the bag where the seam is the part that it was sitting on while colonizing from corner to corner diagonally across the seam. When slicing the bag try not to lift the bag you want one thin slice with the bag still stuck to the sub this will prevent it from pinning under the bag. Where you slice should be nice and flat from it sitting on it while colonizing so it should be easy.

Sounds like a plan, thanks everyone :smile:

Well, btw. what is the best thing to do with the fruits? Any top recipes? I have read shelf life isn't that long, so would maybe drying them and making a powder good for something? :grin:

--------------------

Offlinesendmehummus
AT Hiker
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Oyster / Pleurotus ostreatus grain spawn [Re: Shroombitz] * 1
    #27146712 - 01/13/21 09:51 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Oysters are great in chowders, on burgs, salads really whatever. But they are best on their own, fried in a pan with a small amount of oil/ garlic/ onion. I freeze oysters all the time. Its not ideal but they can be pulled out of the freezer anytime. I thaw them then cook the water out of them, then fry them. They lose a little flavor but hold up extraordinarily well after being frozen.

--------------------
Be patient and keep it simple.

InvisibleShroombitz
Not entitled to a title

#27149180 - 01/15/21 06:26 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

I have soaked 30l pet bedding and some cardboard pieces over night, drained it, mixed the entire spawn in it and filled five grow bags.

Is keeping them at around 18-22 °C in ambient light okay?

--------------------

InvisibleShroombitz
Not entitled to a title

#27149211 - 01/15/21 06:53 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

I also got my lion mane culture, it seems to had a hard time during transportation.

How does it look?

I have pushed it together, slowly released the air and put in ambient light at like 20-22 °C, all good?

--------------------

OfflineShutEye
Noob
 User Gallery

#27151057 - 01/16/21 08:12 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Lion's mane is a much finer mycelium than oyster so the block won't be as dense and solid white as the oyster. That sawdust block was probably fine to fruit before you broke it up but now I would wait for the mycelium to recover a bit before poking holes in it or use it to make some of the wood shaving bags. Make sure your pet bedding is hardwood and not pine or other softwoods. I used the alder bedding to make buckets using a sawdust block like you have. I used a 20% spawn ratio for the lion's mane. My buckets began fruiting within 2 weeks and before the whole thing was colonized.

All things considered you might get the same or better harvest yields from just fruiting the sawdust block as is. My fruits were a bit small but I was just experimenting with different methods. Good luck!

InvisibleShroombitz
Not entitled to a title

#27151747 - 01/16/21 04:07 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

I am not sure I understand what sawdust block you are talking about ^.^

I got a bag of oyster grain spawn, which I have mixed with sawdust to the five bags shown. They seem to do great btw. creating a lot of heat and showing rapid growths. How much an issue if standing water in the bottom of the bags? It seems as I may missed "field capacity" a bit and the Mycelium is pushing the water out due to growing so quickly, should I drain it?

The lion's mane bag is some form of ready to fruit substrate, I can't tell thou what it is made of, but the Mycelium seems to recover as it show signs of heat.

--------------------

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27151906 - 01/16/21 05:45 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

If you are that far off that you have standing water at the bottom of the bag. I don't think it will colonize. You can try pouring it off but it more than likely will still not colonize.

Find out how much water to put in each bag HERE

InvisibleShroombitz
Not entitled to a title

#27152699 - 01/17/21 04:29 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Update:

Lion's mane 2 days ago:

Lion's mane 1 day ago:

Lion's mane today:

I'm not sure if I can see any progress here, well except the sweating :grin:

Oyster today:

For me they are looking good, except the oversoaked spots in the bottom, I have drained the one on the far right

--------------------

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27153831 - 01/17/21 04:27 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Give it about a week if it does not colonize then I would get the bag as tight as I could to keep air from reaching the uncolonized sub and slice the bag as far away from the uncolonized sub as you can and it will fruit. The mycelium will think that the sub is fully colonized because it can not colonize the sub that is too wet. If you don't get the bag super tight and air can reach the uncolonized part of the sub it will probably contaminate. It may still contaminate even if air can not reach it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   OlympusMyco.com CVG Mushroom Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates