Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTacitus
Stranger
 User Gallery

Question on Strains
    #27144294 - 01/12/21 07:57 PM (1 month, 23 days ago)

I have a dumb question.  I know mushrooms are not plants.  In the plant world if you graft a plant with another, you get a hybrid.  Does this work with mushrooms too?  What if 2 different spores were injected into a jar.  The mycelium as they grow, would they grow together?  Would they merge into a different strain?  When I put them in the shoebox, would I simply have 2 different strains growing?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OnlineDoctor MarioS
πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„
Male

Loc: πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
Re: Question on Strains [Re: Tacitus]
    #27144848 - 01/13/21 01:38 AM (1 month, 22 days ago)

Yes to all of the above. It's called "crossing" and what you're referring to as a strain is called a "variety". Species can't be crossed with other species. For example, Cubensis can be crossed with other Cubes but you can't cross Cubes with Pans. Some people are successful at crossing by mixing grain spawn but most prefer to swab agar plates with spores from each variety. It's completely random when it happens. There's currently no way to guarantee a cross. Sometimes it will happen, other times you'll get tubs with one of the varieties or both and no hybrids. It gets a little more complicated though because even if you get a successful cross, it won't be stable. You could take spores from the hybrid and spawn them again only to find that the new mushrooms reverted back to one of the original varieties. The trick is to look for visual indications of the hybrid, take spores from it, spawn again and repeat the process. After many generations, the cross will become stable and still carry the possibility of reverting. Pasty Whyte successfully crossed CRS and AA+. You can read about it here.

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27145069 - 01/13/21 07:18 AM (1 month, 22 days ago)

You would have many different "strains" growing unless you isolated a specific strain with agar or cardboard methods.

Strains are specific phenotypes, in the mushroom world every mating of diploid and haploid mycelium  produce an individual "strain" that may or may not go on to produce a fruit body.

In short to simply answer your question, if you use two different types of spores in a casing or even in the same jar you will most likely wind up with two different types of fruit bodies. For example if you mix ks with gt you would notice the difference if you mixed tc with gt there would be a less noticeable difference in the fruit bodies.

Mixing the spores in the manner you are describing in an effort to create a new "strain" would not yield repeatable results and hence would not be a valid creation of a new strain. I would suggest that you read a little more on the lifecycle of the mushroom and also check out the strain forum.

Welcome to the Shroomery and happy shrooming!

:awecid:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

OfflineTacitus
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Question on Strains [Re: george castanza]
    #27146095 - 01/13/21 05:00 PM (1 month, 22 days ago)

Not really trying to do any crossbreeding.  It was just a thought I had the other night....  Thanks for the information

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
    #27146176 - 01/13/21 06:00 PM (1 month, 22 days ago)

off topic but i don't think grafting makes a cross. you pollinate a flower to make a cross in it's seeds. Grafting just allows one plant to benefit from another plant's root system.

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Question on Strains [Re: LtLurker]
    #27148811 - 01/15/21 12:57 AM (1 month, 20 days ago)

Quote:

LtLurker said:
off topic but i don't think grafting makes a cross. you pollinate a flower to make a cross in it's seeds. Grafting just allows one plant to benefit from another plant's root system.

I believe this is technically correct. And also on topic as it would show up in a search about grafting plants.

:costanza:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started