Home | Community | Message Board

North Spore
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLordbudly
Apprentice Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Small liquid bead inside jar
    #27140283 - 01/10/21 07:48 PM (1 month, 23 days ago)

Hello everyone I have a jar that was inoculated with a MSS, I was going to give it a shake to help colonization since it's around that 30% mark and I noticed this bead of golden brown liquid, I pray it's a metabolite or a result of the condensation in the jar. I did not shake it once this was noticed. Can anyone identify it, or if I should not shake it and observe it carefully? I do have agar plates going as well that were knocked at the same time

Edited by Lordbudly (01/11/21 04:51 AM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRoscoeReturns
Stranger
Male

Loc: State of Confusion
Re: Small liquid bead inside jar [Re: Lordbudly]
    #27140393 - 01/10/21 08:35 PM (1 month, 23 days ago)

Can’t see anything in that tiny pic. It won’t enlarge for me. MSS to grain is always risky, and extra liquid usually means bad grain prep or bacterial contam. I wouldn’t pray for metabolite, because that is usually a stress response, and indicative of contamination. No harm in shaking now, see how it recovers. In the future post better pics.

OfflineRamJam
Stranger

#27140845 - 01/10/21 11:27 PM (1 month, 23 days ago)

Sounds metabolite colored. MSS to grain is a horrible idea. Everyone here says so, so I just tried it for myself to see why. It is indeed horrible. Not even sure if I am going to get anything out of it.  Get started with agar asap. That's what everyone here told me. And they were right.  Just did the MSS experiment to see... Nope

OfflineLordbudly
Apprentice Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Small liquid bead inside jar [Re: RoscoeReturns]
    #27141193 - 01/11/21 04:56 AM (1 month, 22 days ago)

Quote:

RoscoeReturns said:
Can’t see anything in that tiny pic. It won’t enlarge for me. MSS to grain is always risky, and extra liquid usually means bad grain prep or bacterial contam. I wouldn’t pray for metabolite, because that is usually a stress response, and indicative of contamination. No harm in shaking now, see how it recovers. In the future post better pics.

Hey roscoe thank you for the response I changed the way I posted the image from my gallery and I can expand it now, let me know if you can as well,  the liquid bead is at the very top of the mycelium, they were made following bods grain tek, and even got the optional refrigeration in the colander for extra hours of drying , they didn't condensate until the house got to 68 one night I forgot to turn the heat back on after doing the first set of transfers from agar that were from mss to agar, and every jar was partially colonized already, and probably generating enough of their own heat when the temp dipped to condensate, about 12 days from innoc?

OfflineLordbudly
Apprentice Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Small liquid bead inside jar [Re: RamJam]
    #27141198 - 01/11/21 05:12 AM (1 month, 22 days ago)

Quote:

RamJam said:
Sounds metabolite colored. MSS to grain is a horrible idea. Everyone here says so, so I just tried it for myself to see why. It is indeed horrible. Not even sure if I am going to get anything out of it.  Get started with agar asap. That's what everyone here told me. And they were right.  Just did the MSS experiment to see... Nope

In my first post I stated I innocd agar at the same time I did my jars as a bad attempt at mss to grain would still be able to yield me transferable mycelium if I couldn't get my mss to germinate on agar. I had 2 contams out of 20 plates which I was happy about being my first SAB, sterile tek attempt, and agar( including making it) and ironically they were both on the 5 plates I bought with antibiotics in them, for the print I also innocd my agar with,  which I thought would be beneficial for spore print to agar, and had no contams on the spore print to homemade agar. I am rounding the corner on transfer number 3 and if those go well could become mother plates so I can shoebox them and determine from there what I want to keep and isolate or take more prints from there, but I'm not going to pitch my first jars either if nothing else I still want to grain to agar as well, since all 6 jars are colonizing well and will be ready to spawn before I can start dropping agar wedges, everything will be spawned to shoeboxes to make note of individual traits side by side, running bods unmodified tub style as well

OfflineCocaineBuffet
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27142554 - 01/11/21 09:00 PM (1 month, 22 days ago)

Now that I can zoom in I can see the liquid, you are seeing metabolites. That jar is not healthy.

If it were me I would toss it. More desperate users might spawn it but that tub would contaminate.

Metabolites are not an issue if your tub is already fruiting which means you may get a few flushes from it but on grain that is not 100% colonized (hell even on 100% colonized) It is a trash and get the jar back into rotation.

OfflineRamJam
Stranger

#27142864 - 01/12/21 01:06 AM (1 month, 21 days ago)

Gotcha, my bad, I somehow missed your last sentence I guess lol... But ya sounds like you are on the right track. I've no experience with transfering MSS-grain-mycelium to agar, but since idk why MSS to grains produce horrible results, I'm not sure if those results would result from after the agar transfer as well....  I too had only bad luck with pre-poured plates.  Only mine had like 0 nutrition and just never grew anything along side my self poured plates.  I had the same crap luck with premixed agars.  Now I mix the malt and agar myself and all is well (lost my gent to a hot agar pop-top-mishap haha, haven't bought anymore, and doing fine without it.)

OfflineCueBaII
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Small liquid bead inside jar [Re: RamJam]
    #27142947 - 01/12/21 02:09 AM (1 month, 21 days ago)

This is my 3rd mono tub. The first two were B+. I switched to Golden teacher,but its much different looking. It's bubbly like. I use a humidor 2 times a day. By looking at my pic(I'm color blind,but I dont give up),does this look healthy.

CueBaII= Depression sucks,shrooms free me.

OfflineLordbudly
Apprentice Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Small liquid bead inside jar [Re: CueBaII]
    #27144794 - 01/13/21 12:25 AM (1 month, 20 days ago)

I only saw one tub looking in your gallery cueball but I see many healthy pins beginning,  if you want more eyeballs on it I would definitely post up on your own thread ( not that I mind you here but ~70-100 people have already viewed my thread, and may not come back, that may view your new thread)

OfflineCueBaII
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27147393 - 01/14/21 11:44 AM (1 month, 19 days ago)

Thanks,still figuring this out. More time reading on how the shroomery works.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started