Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Amazon Agar, Malt Extract, Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | Next >
OfflineDharmaForKarma
Novice
Male

Re: D3's Perfect transfers and agar TEK. [Re: GrinchGrower]
    #27146395 - 01/13/21 08:14 PM (11 days, 5 hours ago)

Regarding blacking agar with charcoal powder.  I'm batting zero, a sludgy mess and unhappy myc.  Blended for several minutes the second time at high speed but still nada. I love the look and don't want to walk away defeated (with a pound of charcoal dust staring right at me)  Any tips appreciated.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleD3monicS
Weeb Trash
I'm a teapot

Loc: Year Zero
Re: D3's Perfect transfers and agar TEK. [Re: DharmaForKarma]
    #27146441 - 01/13/21 08:45 PM (11 days, 5 hours ago)

Are you using the organic powder linked in the tek? I add about 1g per 100ml to the media bottle then pour in the already blended agar. No more than a gentle swirl and Then pressure cook. Never more than a gentle swirl once pressure cooked or you get bubbles and foam.

OfflineKabluee
Stranger
Re: D3's Perfect transfers and agar TEK. [Re: D3monic]
    #27160778 - 01/21/21 08:55 AM (3 days, 17 hours ago)

This is the best TEK for Agar!

Ive had consistently clean and clear agar plates since starting to work with agar thanks to you!

And ive turned ALOT of people on to this tek because it is solid as fuck.

Thanks D3!

OfflineSpaceDrooze
Stranger

#27160791 - 01/21/21 09:16 AM (3 days, 16 hours ago)

Definitely going to try this out. I just used Stamets'potato water agar mix. This seems like less work. Good tek.

--------------------
Everything has to be happening for This to be happening

OfflineDoctor MarioS
๐Ÿ„๐Ÿ„๐Ÿ„๐Ÿ„๐Ÿ„
Male

Loc: ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Re: D3's Perfect transfers and agar TEK. [Re: Kabluee]
    #27160792 - 01/21/21 09:19 AM (3 days, 16 hours ago)

Quote:

Kabluee said:
This is the best TEK for Agar!

Ive had consistently clean and clear agar plates since starting to work with agar thanks to you!

And ive turned ALOT of people on to this tek because it is solid as fuck.

Thanks D3!

:whathesaid:

OnlinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The bottom of the sea.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: D3's Perfect transfers and agar TEK. [Re: Doctor Mario]
    #27162553 - 01/22/21 12:29 AM (3 days, 1 hour ago)

A quick question, Iโ€™m trying to reduce condensation in my plates. Do you find leaving them to fully cool in front of your flowhood will get rid of any condensation? Itโ€™s been causing some huge visibility issues for me lately.

--------------------
PitcherCrab's LAGM 2021

โ€œI must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.โ€ - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

OfflineDoctor MarioS
๐Ÿ„๐Ÿ„๐Ÿ„๐Ÿ„๐Ÿ„
Male

Loc: ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Re: D3's Perfect transfers and agar TEK. [Re: PitcherCrab]
    #27162565 - 01/22/21 12:36 AM (3 days, 1 hour ago)

When I was pouring these in the SAB There was moderate condensation that never fully went away. The first time I poured in front of the FH, I didn't wrap them and left the FH running for 24 hours. I still get condensation on the lid but it doesn't drip onto the agar anymore.

OfflineNickShade
Macronutrient
 User Gallery

Loc: Earth
    #27162567 - 01/22/21 12:36 AM (3 days, 1 hour ago)

Used this tek (sans the food colouring/charcoal) for my very first batch of agar and they came out crystal clear. I poured them pretty hot and got a lot of condensation but most of it disappated after a couple days in the SAB.  Streaked with spores last night and currently playing the waiting game.

Thanks a bunch for this comprehensive write up my dude. :grin:

--------------------
bodhisatta said:
figure it out listen to the cake

InvisibleD3monicS
Weeb Trash
I'm a teapot

#27162652 - 01/22/21 01:34 AM (3 days, 22 minutes ago)

Quote:

PitcherCrab said:
A quick question, Iโ€™m trying to reduce condensation in my plates. Do you find leaving them to fully cool in front of your flowhood will get rid of any condensation? Itโ€™s been causing some huge visibility issues for me lately.

I try to pour around 125 if I can but most the time Iโ€™m impatient and end up pouring at almost 135-140.. what ever is cool enough to handle. Iโ€™ll leave them stacked in front of flow for a few hours rotating every once in a while then slide the sleeve back over the stack and throw them up on top of the hood. I donโ€™t individually wrap them until they have spores or myc on them. Most if not all the condensation goes away. My cultures might fog over for a few mins when I turn my hood on as they directly across the room from it and the cooler air blowing at them fogs them but goes away after a few mins.

Offlinelookintolearn
Stranger becoming Strangest

Loc: Up in the Cut
    #27162743 - 01/22/21 03:31 AM (2 days, 22 hours ago)

So you prefer boiling in a pot over microwaving inside the media bottle? I've only ever used the boiling in pot but recently seen alot of people saying they just dump the dry ingredients inside the bottle and just microwave slowly till it all dissolves.

--------------------
Don't be afraid of feeling the feelings

Lookin to LAGM 2021

Looking to start growing? Read through Bod's Introduction to Everything
Looking to start agar? Start with Alien's Holy Grail
Looking to perfect your transfers? Start with D3monic's Perfect Transfers
Looking for easiest prep to Coir ever? Eat's UNBUCKET Tek
Looking to start LC? Try LI first! Munch's super easy Blenderless LI

Invisiblecapntrips7
Moldsmith

Loc: Urithiru
Re: D3's Perfect transfers and agar TEK. [Re: lookintolearn]
    #27162798 - 01/22/21 05:21 AM (2 days, 20 hours ago)

I used bod's microwave method several times before trying D3's tek, and it works well enough, but it doesn't come out nearly as clear as with the immersion blender. I also bought a coffee/milk frother that will fit down into my media bottles, and that gets it somewhere in the middle.

--------------------
LAGM2021

Invisibledfwerydfhg
Stranger
Re: D3's Perfect transfers and agar TEK. [Re: capntrips7]
    #27162949 - 01/22/21 08:51 AM (2 days, 17 hours ago)

Condensation can come from pouring too hot, but the nuance here is that it's not just the pour temp, it's the difference between pour temp and your room. If it's cold in your room, even the minimum pour temp you can get away with is going to cause condensation. I suspect the crystal clear folks maintain relatively warm spaces.

It can also be a symptom of big temperature swings in your room. My space has like 10+ ยฐF swings which causes a ton of condensation in the days after pouring. Since making an incubator with the temperature controlled to +/- 1 ยฐF my plates look way better. I store blanks outside it, which get a ton of condensation, but half a day after moving in there the moisture is all gone.

Also comes in handy for tropical species which don't appreciate overnight lows in the 50s.

InvisibleD3monicS
Weeb Trash
I'm a teapot

Re: D3's Perfect transfers and agar TEK. [Re: dfwerydfhg]
    #27162975 - 01/22/21 09:14 AM (2 days, 16 hours ago)

Yea mine is in a basement that I have a very hard time maintaining temps especially here in the winter. I have to keep a space heater going that canโ€™t seem to hold a temp. Room is constantly rolling between 68f and like 76f+

OfflinetiptrippyS
The Mechanic
Male

Loc: United States Flag
Re: D3's Perfect transfers and agar TEK. [Re: D3monic] * 1
    #27162991 - 01/22/21 09:31 AM (2 days, 16 hours ago)

D3monic your agar tek slaps.. these plates I got are sexy

InvisibleD3monicS
Weeb Trash
I'm a teapot

Re: D3's Perfect transfers and agar TEK. [Re: tiptrippy]
    #27162995 - 01/22/21 09:32 AM (2 days, 16 hours ago)

Looking good trippy!

Offlinetomcards
Male

Loc: San Francisco
    #27163688 - 01/22/21 04:30 PM (2 days, 9 hours ago)

If you follow D3โ€™s tek to the letter, you will produce clear plates every time.  An immersion blender is crucial.  If youโ€™re having problems, itโ€™s a case of Operator Error.

Hereโ€™s a T1 Melmac plate from a swab.  Tomorrow, Iโ€™ll do a T2 onto a beautiful blue plate.

Get busy!

OnlinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Trusted Cultivator
Re: D3's Perfect transfers and agar TEK. [Re: tomcards]
    #27167656 - 01/24/21 07:26 PM (6 hours, 31 minutes ago)

D3, where did you get that little torch you use to flame everything? I usually use an alcohol lamp that works pretty well, but that guy seems to heat things up quite a bit faster.

I really appreciate all your beautiful agar work, after seeing the quality of you plates its finally getting me to level up my agar setup.

--------------------
PitcherCrab's LAGM 2021

โ€œI must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.โ€ - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

OnlinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Trusted Cultivator
    #27167720 - 01/24/21 08:01 PM (5 hours, 55 minutes ago)

Quote:

D3monic said:
Quote:

PitcherCrab said:

I try to pour around 125 if I can but most the time Iโ€™m impatient and end up pouring at almost 135-140.. what ever is cool enough to handle. Iโ€™ll leave them stacked in front of flow for a few hours rotating every once in a while then slide the sleeve back over the stack and throw them up on top of the hood. I donโ€™t individually wrap them until they have spores or myc on them. Most if not all the condensation goes away. My cultures might fog over for a few mins when I turn my hood on as they directly across the room from it and the cooler air blowing at them fogs them but goes away after a few mins.

Does this mean you have your flow cabinet on 24/7? I usually wrap mine so I can store them before use. I think I'm pouring my agar too hot and wrapping too soon which is probably why I've got such bad condensation. I've tried to wait for it to cool before pouring before but have ended up waiting too long so by the end of my bottle its already starting to gel.

--------------------
PitcherCrab's LAGM 2021

InvisibleD3monicS
Weeb Trash
I'm a teapot

#27167827 - 01/24/21 09:01 PM (4 hours, 56 minutes ago)

Nope, I just toss them ontop the hood. Slide the sleeve over them, tuck under the stack and let the weight of the stack keep them closed.

OnlinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Trusted Cultivator
    #27167882 - 01/24/21 09:34 PM (4 hours, 22 minutes ago)

Ah clever clever!

I just tried letting my plates cool longer before pouring to try to help reduce the condensation and f'd it all up again! I let them cool too long and now a bunch of my plates have big chunks in them AND all of them have too much sediment for my liking. I think my malt extract is to blame. Looks like its time to go to the Amazon store!

--------------------
PitcherCrab's LAGM 2021

Edited by PitcherCrab (01/24/21 09:35 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | Next >

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Amazon Agar, Malt Extract, Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation