Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineSolipsis
m̶a̶d̶ disappointed scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: the Neitherlands Flag
Project Turing - Crossing Enigma x Rustywhyte * 10
    #27144464 - 01/12/21 07:03 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Enigma is a phenomenon, (in)famous for not producing any spores at all. So I set out to look for a strain that wouldn't be able to produce any rusty spores at all. :P

Through di-mono mating of Enigma and Rustywhyte respectively... a new cross was yielded, rather it would have resulted in two different pure strains. Both a result of the cross: one for each different nucleus that came from the dikaryon (or rather, note heterokaryon) parent. I don't really know very well yet in what sort of pattern these two strains sector on the dish the cross was done on, but I do have some ideas about it. Particularly from when I did the same thing with Orissa x Rustywhyte.

In any case: whereas the (repeatedly confirmed by 1000x microscopy - or at least supported since it can be tricky to prove a negative) RW monokaryon could never pin... The newly created cross pinned remarkably: without a lot of waiting compared to the average culture, and apparently the parent dikaryon while it can itself also pin on such a dish, seems to do so with much less gusto.

I took transfers of what seemed convincing to me, from a place on the agar that surely would have had to be a focal point of mating and below are the results of the first that I grew out. Later I took two more agar pin clones to try and see if those were the same strains or not, with to me less than satisfying results. That part of the work I will soon share more pics and details of.

By the way... feel free to post below / ask questions or send me a message if you wish to talk about something but do not PM me about availability, please. Answers addressing such matters I will post in due time, in accordance with rules of the forum etc etc.
Turing is the working title of this endeavor, obviously this has barely even begun to get bred into one or more cultivars, i am not presuming anything like that.

But here first, let me show the grow, and add some extra descriptions after posting: 

I'm interested in researching what may play a role in genetics / biology to make Enigma or others before or after it in the PE lineage the way they are and how they seem to involve different sorts of mutations than various recessive traits which act in more typical Mendelian ways. It is very nice however, that a lot of fun stuff already happens in the F1 and is not necessarily too discrete.

What seems to be going on is, it starts by blobbing in ways we know from Enigma. Pretty hard, amorphous mycelium, it appears to be stipe tissue, really. No sign of any caps at all. Well apart from some exceptions that is, of a couple normal looking pins.

I was still incubating these without fruiting conditions. But just given a little more time, it seemed like from the blobs themselves, fruits started to differentiate. I do have a pet hypothesis why this might be, however I am not sure what might be the most relevant triggers throwing the switch.

An essential part of the project was the question: can you get (viable) spores? Or rather: how close can you get to the Enigma trait and still produce spores?
Well, I can tell you it produces spores just fine, even from the freaky inside out gills - but I still need to check them out under microscope, or probably even sooner: try to germinate them. I think it should be fine - didn't seem like there were problems in the meiosis or anything, but rather developing any hymenium to begin with.

I am perfectly fine not actually hacking the Enigma cultivar itself but opening up the door to some new chapter in that book. Plus, this is vital information for possibly making different crosses involving more than one superfreak.

Well wish me luck, maybe i can do some of my own science on this lineage and come up with new info or at least data, or if not data at least more hypotheses.

Edited by Solipsis (01/12/21 07:40 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Project Turing - Crossing Enigma x Rustywhyte [Re: Solipsis]
    #27144487 - 01/12/21 07:10 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

very neat

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineShroomhunts
Hunter Gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: PA
    #27144493 - 01/12/21 07:13 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Yoooo 5 stars for this one

--------------------

You never kno

OfflineHikeadellic
Fungi Fan
Male

Loc: Appalachian Trail
Re: Project Turing - Crossing Enigma x Rustywhyte [Re: Shroomhunts]
    #27144507 - 01/12/21 07:20 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Dude that's pretty cool, the caps are like inside out

Invisiblemycorry
The Empirical
 User Gallery

Re: Project Turing - Crossing Enigma x Rustywhyte [Re: Hikeadellic]
    #27197455 - 02/10/21 01:59 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

:rockon:
Impressive stuff homie!

What are you gonna call em? I'd suggest "Insyde out" or "brain Chyld".

--------------------
My Trade Lists

Offlinebw86
Doesn't play well with others

Loc: 7b
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Project Turing - Crossing Enigma x Rustywhyte [Re: mycorry]
    #27197470 - 02/10/21 02:06 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bw86 said:
------
These fruits came from combing two spawn jars one with enigma
Moby's foaf :tongue:-Mycotopia post#14

Maybe the enigma can cause mutations in genes without forming any sort of hybrid :shrug:?

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Project Turing - Crossing Enigma x Rustywhyte [Re: bw86]
    #27197487 - 02/10/21 02:13 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

it certainly has damaged genes somewhere, I hope the strain is properly taken care of ( I got slants from the original plates  though)

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineHikeadellic
Fungi Fan
Male

Loc: Appalachian Trail
Re: Project Turing - Crossing Enigma x Rustywhyte [Re: cronicr]
    #27197602 - 02/10/21 03:16 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Where can I learn more about properly taking care of strains

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Project Turing - Crossing Enigma x Rustywhyte [Re: Hikeadellic]
    #27197611 - 02/10/21 03:22 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

not much to learn really , the less cell division the better , slant early and take care of your slants.
for example you don't want to start with a master then g2g that to a hundred jars and spawn those at 1:10 and take a clone , that's too much cell division to pass around which I see a lot of with enigma where people grow tubs and put it back yo agar to give their friends who do the same thing and it just keeps repeating and sooner or later people will see slow growing lack luster cultures

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

Offlinetrippleblack
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27319043 - 05/22/21 05:46 PM (2 years, 10 months ago)

nice...

the "diamond cross tek" is certainly a lovely tool.. 

the biggest questions thus far though..  does the potency of enigma gravitate into the crossed strain?  i'm doing a similar cross of tw2, please update any more detail if anything cool happen.

Offlinenektar61S
Into SporePlay
Female Unread Journal User Gallery

Loc: Cube Satellite
    #27509906 - 10/19/21 08:34 AM (2 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Solipsis said:

This is crazy cool work. Oh, this image looks like pins melting into blob mutants. lol.

What is "di-mono mating"? A web search shows this thread as the main / only result.

I'm assuming it's finding a single spore of each under a microscope, pushing them together and yelling "KISSSSSS!" but don't know.

That sounds like very steady hand, patient work, and I really like what you're doing. Thank you for doing it.

--------------------
-NEW? Start here.

OfflineWaldfried
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Project Turing - Crossing Enigma x Rustywhyte [Re: nektar61]
    #27574158 - 12/08/21 10:11 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

nektar61 said:
What is "di-mono mating"? A web search shows this thread as the main / only result.

Mating an already dikaryotic cell with a monokaryon. There shouldn't be any monokaryotic mycelium of Enigma around, as there are no spores yet.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Six-different-possibilities-of-how-mating-occurs-and-the-pattern-of-nuclear-and_fig1_258374711

Interesting endeavor, Solipsis. Hope you are still on board and this project hopefully bore some fruits and you were just too lazy to post your results. :grin:

A little research led me to this paper:
https://journals.asm.org/doi/full/10.1128/EC.5.4.683-695.2006

The authors describe, how mutation of a protein in S. commune lead to what I have learned are some traits of the Enigma phenotype (Wasn't able to observe firsthand, only from descriptions and pics, so correct me if I'm wrong):

- slow growth rate
- disoriented growth patterns
- increased pin formation
- no or abnormal gills, no spores

If I had to, I'd assume that a similar mechanism is involved. Mutation in a regulator of some pathway involved in the fruit body development and shaping that disrupts the morphology and formation of hymenia.

So you say your crosses produce spores? Are they sterile?

--------------------

InvisibleAnand
AutisticShroomer
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The netherlands
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Project Turing - Crossing Enigma x Rustywhyte [Re: Waldfried]
    #27590035 - 12/21/21 09:43 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Wow looks weird and cool

OfflineSingularFusion
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Project Turing - Crossing Enigma x Rustywhyte [Re: Anand]
    #27590051 - 12/21/21 10:00 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Very nice project Solipsis

Look forward to seeing what the future brings

All the best with it :rockon:

--------------------
🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼    🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿

InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Project Turing - Crossing Enigma x Rustywhyte [Re: SingularFusion]
    #27593200 - 12/24/21 03:25 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Wow this is crazy shit! :rockon:

OfflineA.k.aM
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Gaming the system
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Project Turing - Crossing Enigma x Rustywhyte [Re: Pastywhyte] * 1
    #27593301 - 12/24/21 05:13 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Mutant looking blobs turning to pins is pretty common with RW to begin with right?

This is a great project i can’t remember seeing another one where an actual mono/di cross was made instead of mixing spawn.

--------------------
LAGM2020

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Project Turing - Crossing Enigma x Rustywhyte [Re: A.k.a]
    #27593307 - 12/24/21 05:31 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Crazy though: Maybe there is a mycovirus that makes the enigma enigma that you simply spread to the rusty white.

Anyway super badass stuff cant wait to see f2 and beyond.

Edit: that makes no sense since rw was a mono. Hi mom. :tongue:

--------------------
- Sandbag Tek - How To Sterilize Spawn Bags - All About Static Pressure / Pressure Drop for DIY Flow Hoods - Sandman's LC Tek-

Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate - Grow-room is church temple of the new stoner breed

Edited by sandman420 (12/24/21 05:42 PM)

OfflineMuad.Dweeb
Seer
 User Gallery

Re: Project Turing - Crossing Enigma x Rustywhyte [Re: sandman420]
    #27595085 - 12/26/21 01:13 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

I've been working with Enigma and a few other blob cultures about 2 years now. I'm ashamed I didn't think of utilizing the Buller phenomenon before with Enigma.

My current hypothesis is that there is a mutation or stack of recessive genes in the transcriptome DNA/RNA. In the Tribe's anomalies and mutants thread, there is an AA+ blob that predates Enigma. In my own studies, I have found (personally and from other accounts) a high probability of blob cultures (I call them Pseudocarps) from the F1 of crossed varieties. Currently I have had the opportunity to investigate Enigma, Pneuma (a B+ blob), and Starry Night (a blob from the F1 of my Melmak TP/Golden Halo project).

One thing is for sure,the trait is heritable. In two of the lines I established in my TP/GH cross, there is a tendency for blobs to pop up like swPE, but usually in the second flush, not the first, and with the finned or fingered blobs like enigma, not round egg-like blobs.

Will definitely be using di-mon with blobs in the future. It just gets me, because I have a di-mon project right now with a Koh Samui squat clone and two leucistic India Orissa mons as a demo for the phenomenon.

Good luck!

GOGH.Starry Night, Blob from F1 cross

"Golog" a Melmak TP culture

--------------------
A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct. This every sister of the Bene Gesserit knows.

How to Breed like the Bene Gesserit
The Weirding Way - Advanced Bene Gesserit Techniques

OfflineA.k.aM
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Gaming the system
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Project Turing - Crossing Enigma x Rustywhyte [Re: Muad.Dweeb]
    #27595342 - 12/26/21 03:56 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Holy shit!

That mmtp mutation is by far my favorite. Never seen anything like that, it’s like the most enigma you can get while still looking like a mushroom.

--------------------
LAGM2020

OfflineMuad.Dweeb
Seer
 User Gallery

Re: Project Turing - Crossing Enigma x Rustywhyte [Re: A.k.a]
    #27596157 - 12/27/21 10:00 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah a weirdo for sure. I've seen a bunch of fruits that pin from aborts, but nothing like that culture.

--------------------
A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct. This every sister of the Bene Gesserit knows.

How to Breed like the Bene Gesserit
The Weirding Way - Advanced Bene Gesserit Techniques

OfflineCamera93
We got dicks like Jesus
I'm a teapot

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Project Turing - Crossing Enigma x Rustywhyte [Re: Muad.Dweeb]
    #27596162 - 12/27/21 10:04 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

:popcorn:

--------------------
All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I’m fine.

Whatever you decide won’t really impact our survival
Close your eyes, and do the best that you can

Offlineghiajake
Myco-Viking
Male

Loc: Indiana
Re: Project Turing - Crossing Enigma x Rustywhyte [Re: Camera93]
    #27626625 - 01/21/22 05:08 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Very interesting experiment. While working with the TW "Enigma" isolate, have you gotten Mycogone contaminations at all?

OfflineSolipsis
m̶a̶d̶ disappointed scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: the Neitherlands Flag
Re: Project Turing - Crossing Enigma x Rustywhyte [Re: ghiajake]
    #27915976 - 08/24/22 03:44 AM (1 year, 7 months ago)

Sorry for the delays / silence. :smile: Had a lot of things going on but coming out the other side now.

About the mycogone question: no, I haven't seen any sign of Mycogone for years.

Cool growth muad.dweeb, we should def get in touch about the genetics and other science behind all this. And yea idk why i would ever do mon-mon again, I haven't heard any arguments about advantages unless maybe in very specific situations.
Also intriguing to me is crossing a monokaryon with MS culture of other parent, I haven't done that yet but I don't see why it shouldn't work the way I got it set up in my mind. Should help with the issue of selection, although selecting a well-performing dikaryotic isolate should also help a lot.

I'm interested in working and communicating more with others who are more deeply into the science and breeding but I was put off a bit by some bad experiences with arrogance of supposed myco celebrities, basically calling me very confused about things like using the Buller phenomenon. But I do have hope that there are some others out there who don't play so many games and just appreciate the science and the tinkering (and of course the fungi)

Back to this project otherwise: I had to build my whole setup again from the ground up and also took a break from growing or even two cause struggling with some personal problems but I'm back on track now with plenty of active projects going very well. In the meanwhile there were some friends and contacts who showed what they grew from the cross (so what they had is the F2) and the results varied from Tidal Wave looking mushrooms to weirdly disfigured fruits that I haven't seen before. Not *quite as in the OP of this thread but still in line with it, also may resemble Omni a bit. I will post pics of it later.

I'm pleased tho to say that when I started via MS myself (for a second time cause i figured i might as well go fresh since i didnt really continue last time) to make my own F2 i got Enigma looking growth on my plates straight away. Didn't start growing immediately but I mean with the first try. Two such growths on a 50 or 60 mm ish PP plate with a "regular" but albino looking fruit and a little distance in between them so quite possibly not the same strains. I will be interested to see whether the phenotypes of these two clones are indistinguishable from Enigma or not or if there may be some traces that show the involvement of RW genetics as well. I root for there being some unique qualities but if not then I still consider the project a success in allowing pseudo-Enigma to be grown from spores.
More impressive is that it took hardly over 14 days to colonize quart jars with healthy growth, rhizomorphic enough. Not that I really care about rhizo growth i think a lot of that stuff is misguided and outdated but in this case it does help to convince that it is not a different species of myc.

I am planning to mould a part of this after spawning to substrate, into shapes for art and promotional graphic material and such.. and another part I think I will just grow as an upstanding rectangular cake, all in my JCM; and will of course show the pics here along with pics from other people's grows, what it looked like on agar, the whole shebang.
After this I will continue as well with exploring the rest of the MS of this F2 for novel things to pursue. That would just be purely about unrelated novelty though as it does not make sense to me to try to refine this Enigma-focused side via what would necessarily have to be spore-producing strains. The only avenue that makes sense to me there would be back-crossing with Enigma to see if that boosts the number of Enigma-like phenos in the F2 of each.. Technically that process could be refined until a certain limit is reached with regard to this tradeoff.
Hopefully in more time, gathering more data.. more will become clear about what are the factors that may determine whether we get Enigma-like growth from certain spores or not. I thought I was doing a good thing with my policy to always give ppl the heaviest and cleanest prints I have on hand of something but in this case unfortunately I think there may be a correlation between the heaviness of the print and whether it was taken from first or second flush of the F1, the cross itself in the OP. Normally this shouldn't matter since it is all 1 strain or maximum of 2 strains but there might be epigenetic differences between those flushes. As you can see the flip getting switched on the growth type, that switch probably also gets encoded and passed on in the spores - is at least my hypothesis.
Btw I wonder if it is most correct to call this Enigma-like growth not fruits but carpophoroids or (what does not seem like it can be accurate) sporophoroids, terms used for phenomena like shrimp-of-the-woods.

Edited by Solipsis (08/24/22 04:16 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder