Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefurryknickers
Stranger
Obvious newbie questions, but i can't seem to find answers
    #2712560 - 05/21/04 06:45 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Hi. Firstly, can I just say that it's very encouraging as a newcomer to shrooms to find such a responsible and open attitude taken towards a substance by so many people. Whilst trying to find information, I've constantly been struck by how considered the information I've found has been and how unpatronising it has all been towards the new user.

Please skip this next bit if you can't be arsed reading about my experiences of trying shrooms for the first time. My questions are at the bottom.

I tried mushrooms myself for the first time 2 weeks ago, (Psilocybe Mexicana). I had previously been reluctant to try anything I percieved
to be a halucinogenic but a very good new friend, who I've come to trust a great deal because he helped me through some complicated stuff recently, explained his experiences to me and I quickly became convinced that it wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

My experience was pleasant overall. I had some a nice laugh at how ridiculous life is when I was first coming up, (I was considering eating my housemate's flowers for a few seconds, until I replayed the thought back to myself),had some nice minor visuals and started dancing with some cupboard doors in the kitchen and nearly pulled the cupboard off the wall.

However, I had been awake for 3 days prior to taking them, rushing to finish my University dissertation. I found myself unable to escape the modes of thought I had needed to use during my dissertation, which was a bit of a pain in the arse to be honest and I believe it contributed to my not being able to let go properly and just enjoy the effects of the mushrooms. My thoughts were rushing by so quickly I couldn't vocalise them, because I'd get 2 words into a sentence then forget what I was saying as another revelation forcefully inserted itself into my attentions. Eventually, this became rather tedious, but I simply couldn't escape it. I can't be bothered going through that again and I wondered;

Questions

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting myself to properly let go? I have considered having a small drink at the same time, to knock the corners off my inhibitions. Is this a good idea in people's experience? Not much, just a few G&T's or something.

My second question is a bit more involved. Now, I understand that different strains of mushroom contain different levels of the various active agents. As far as I can work out from what I've read, it takes a certain amount of an active agent ingested at one time to get it to exert an effect. Does this mean it's best to only take 1 type of mushroom at any one time?

If that's not the case, can anybody give me any recommendations over different types of mushrooms to take in combination to achieve different effects? If so, I'd appreciate any information regarding quantities of each. I'm trying to acheive what this site calls a level 3 trip.

Thanks for any help you can give,
Furry.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
Loc: Christ Light
Re: Obvious newbie questions, but i can't seem to find answers [Re: furryknickers]
    #2712818 - 05/21/04 08:12 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

well furry welcome to the shroomery first off, to awnser your question about letting go, try a higher dose.i can only state from my own experince that in low doses did i wrestle so to speak with myself,but on high doses it's like you have no choice but to let go, on the varity of species i can not comment but i can tell you that mushrooms picked from the feild will blow you away compared to "homegrown".i've also found that if things get a little overwhelming to change what im doing for the moment like pick up a drum or somthing, alchol and mushrooms do not mix,remeber the further you go the more you learn,peace and hope this helped ya ,Gypsy

--------------------
"Well the first days are the hardest days." When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.....

Invisiblejux
I'm better thanan STD!

Re: Obvious newbie questions, but i can't seem to find answe [Re: furryknickers]
    #2712903 - 05/21/04 08:43 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Meditation, higher doses, just reaching that breaking point in your life. You'll have to find what works for you to let go.

mixing is pointless really. Most have the exact same two main active chemicals, with some of the more exotic mushrooms containing a third chemical in higher quantity than say a p. cubensis. Just eat about an 1/8th of decent shrooms and you will enjoy the night...
You might not "let go" ... but I'm never exactly sure what people expect to feel when they "let go"... Is it that "I could die right now and not care" sorta thing, is it a loss of ego? a death to perspective? a feeling of self-satisfaction that runs so deep it counters any other emotions? I dont know what people expect, so, get there however you can, i guess.

ummm, drinking... hmmm. Well I took some shots of Jagermeister before eating shrooms once, and then chased it down with another shot of jager... well. Long story short, sssssIIIIIIIccccckkkkkkk. I don't recommend alcohol and shrooms because they don't sit well together.

--------------------

Offlinefurryknickers
Stranger
Re: Obvious newbie questions, but i can't seem to find answe [Re: furryknickers]
    #2714164 - 05/22/04 08:15 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I will try a higher dose next time, Gypsy. With regards to the doing something different idea I'll be in the country next time, rather than the centre of a particularly oppressive city. I think being trapped in my living room probably didn't do me any favours. We did go for a walk at one point, but couldn't really relax because although it's perfectly normal to be smacked off your tits in the city I live in, calmly appreciating the majesty of a tree is somehow less acceptable.

Thanks for letting me know that mixing is pointless, Jux. I'm a bit of a compulsive concocter and not knowing that would probably have led to some fruitless and expensive experiments.

I shan't be drinking after your advice. Hopefully, being in an open environment where I have more to engage my attention that's outside my own head will help me to let go.

With regards to what I mean by letting go, while I'm not looking for a total loss of ego I was rather hoping that taking mushrooms would enhance my experiences of external stimuli, rather than amplifying my inner landscape to deafening levels.

Perhaps it was my state of mind at the time. I realise you can't erase yourself from the equation and I had been very centered on structured reasoning in my work for quite a while beforehand so it's not surprising that was where I found myself.

Perhaps I'm looking for the wrong thing from mushrooms. I'm certainly not going to dismiss them on the basis of one experience, though.

Thanks again for the advice,
Furry.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #2714172 - 05/22/04 08:22 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

i would stress meditation. ive found that the best experiences i have had have been when i have meditated for a few hours prior to ingesting, and then meditate for the come-up period...

while eating a handfull and dancing the night away at a show is a lot of fun, meditation combined with shrooms is the best experience, in my view.

and welcome to the shroomery!

--------------------

Offlinefurryknickers
Stranger
Re: Obvious newbie questions, but i can't seem to find answe [Re: Krishna]
    #2714250 - 05/22/04 09:20 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks, Krishna. I honestly wouldn't know where to start with meditation. I tried when I was younger, but the amount of weed I was smoking at the time made it almost impossible. My conscious mind has always been very insistent about its presence and I find it hard to get around that. I think if I can find a way around that, I will have found a way around my original problem of letting go. Can you suggest any usefull meditation techniques?

Invisiblewandrnshaman
old hand
Loc: Pinellas Co, FL
    #2714502 - 05/22/04 11:20 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Meditating?

Start out using just a few minutes, 5 or so, practice longer as you become more comfortable.

Don't get agitated if your mind races. Some peeps have to practice for months before they can work thru the thoughts in their mind. Eventually you will have worked thru all the thoughts. Don't be discouraged. It's worth it.

Find something simple to focus on, like a candle flame.

Find a yoga class.

Don't practice when you're sleepy, don't practice lying down.

You can do a search on the 'net, too. There's a few good sites on meditating online. :smile:

Offlinefurryknickers
Stranger
Re: Obvious newbie questions, but i can't seem to find answe [Re: wandrnshaman]
    #2714801 - 05/22/04 01:37 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks, man. I suppose I'll just have to give it a go. Love your avatar, by the way. I could watch that for hours

Offlinefurryknickers
Stranger
    #2715253 - 05/22/04 04:33 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I have another newbie type question. Can you take shrooms incrementally? By this I mean, could I take a certain amount, wait a while and decide if I could handle getting a bit higher and then take more? Or, do I have to neck them all at once?
Thanks,
Furry.

Invisiblewandrnshaman
old hand
Loc: Pinellas Co, FL
    #2715295 - 05/22/04 04:44 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

all at once, I think. I've tried to re-up as I came down off the peak once...to no effect.

There may be a trick to it but I've been doing shrooms since the 80's & I don't know of it, sorry.
:shrug:

InvisibleMushie_Man
Fuck Up

Loc: UK
Re: Obvious newbie questions, but i can't seem to find answers [Re: furryknickers]
    #2715481 - 05/22/04 05:47 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I have often wondered how to get a better experience off mushroom an been thinking of a method to help me, after being of mushrooms the other day it occurred to me that if i took some poppers (Amyl Nitrite) during a trip that this would help me relax an let my mind go. Tho i haven't tried this yet, i have some poppers now im just waiting to get the mushrooms,if you are going to try this be aware that this could be risky an might not have desired effect, when i carry this out ill keep you posted.:)

OfflineHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
Re: Obvious newbie questions, but i can't seem to find answers [Re: Mushie_Man]
    #2715950 - 05/22/04 07:49 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

As far as potentiators, syrian rue.... or maybe even caapi.....

OfflineShagrat
RegolithLicker

Loc: Eastern Mordor, in Eman A...
    #2716899 - 05/22/04 10:50 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

furryknickers said:

I shan't be drinking after your advice. Hopefully, being in an open environment where I have more to engage my attention that's outside my own head will help me to let go.

furryknickers - One problem with alcohol is that it dehydrates you - and my friend Gorbag says that it's no fun being dehydrated on a trip. According to him, when you're peaking it's not always easy to a) get up and get a glass of water, b) remember what the hell you went into the kitchen for (my GOD! Formica is SOOOO Coool!) and c) drink the stuff without dribbling. That said, Gorbag's personality is such that he's wound pretty tight most of the time and come-ups tend to be more anxious than most people seem to experience. He's found that if he drinks a beer just prior to dosing, and washes the shroomies down with another, it tends to relax him and lessen the feelings of anxiety somewhat. He does this with no more nausea than if he hadn't consumed the alcohol. As with all things relating to tripping, your mileage may vary.

About your problems letting go of the day-to-day "game" stuff - it sounds like your situation may have been a product of pre-trip baggage. I mean, a dissertation is nothing to sneeze at, and if you were up the previous three days working on it then it's natural that it may pop up during the trip. You can't always choose where you go on the journey, but you can sometimes point the vehicle in the right direction. I suggest (if you haven't already) checking out the Psychedelic Experience FAQ in the Shoomery's documents archive and reading the section on "Packing for the trip".

But, as you and my friend Gorbag both found out on the maiden voyages, psychedelic trips are much more of an emotional/internal thing than many expect. Gorbag was expecting to see walls breathing and pretty designs on the popcorn ceiling. He got that - but surprisingly, he found out that nearly everything elicited an emotional response from him, and it made him ponder absolutely everything that came into his mind. Still does many trips later. Not everything makes total sense, and sometimes it leads to "thought loops" for lack of a better term - that feeling that you're thinking a series of related thoughts where the last one leads back to the first one and you end up in a cycle. The bottom line is that even on a high dose trip, you may see mind blowing open eye visuals - but what may blow your mind even more is what's going on internally.

Thanks for listening,
Shagrat the Happy Orc

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #2717398 - 05/23/04 02:52 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

About redosing: With more and more experience you can evaluate how strong the trip will be before it reaches its peak. That's the time for redosing and it works fine.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Anonymous

Re: Obvious newbie questions, but i can't seem to find answe [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #2719600 - 05/23/04 06:25 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Well for me I usually smoke some pot. However if you don't want to do that you can:

A: Take more shrooms

or

B: Relax more and maybe watch some movies

But I suggest just smoking a Dime!

Offlinefurryknickers
Stranger
    #2727626 - 05/25/04 12:41 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Sorry I've not replied for a couple of days. Hope you didn't think I was being rude, I've just been a bit snowed under. Cheers for the advice, y'all. All taken on board apart from the suggestions of poppers and MOA inhibitors. I once went dancing at a festival with a bottle of poppers in my combat pocket and the bottle got unscrewed and i didn't have a different pair of pants. My friend and me ended up lying in the middle of a road shouting at strangers to sniff my pants. That wasn't as bad as the 4 day migraine that followed though. As for MOA inhibitors, those things scare the specled crap out of me.
Shagrat, after what you've said I've decided to take an easy to open bottle of water with me.

Cheers peeps,
Furry.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies