Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Gypsum, HEPA Filter, Hot Plate, Injection Ports, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineelectricasignum
Stranger
Male

Not having much luck so far
    #27083666 - 12/11/20 11:27 AM (2 months, 24 days ago)

Hello friends, this is my first time posting here. I have been trying to grow some GTs and B++ and have tried two methods so far. First seems to have stalled and second is probably too early to tell.

I bought a kit for my first attempt which was PF-TEK in small pots. The pots came with a sterilised substrate mix (brown rice flour, coffee, gypsum, vermiculite from memory), a HEPA filter and healing injection ports. I started these early November and one pot (B++) has shown nothing, the other two started to show nice growth after 10 days, but both stopped about two weeks ago, one has colonised just shy of 50% of the tub but as I said, hasn't moved at all in the last two weeks. I am wondering if they have suffocated. Am I meant to do anything with the HEPA filter? (Pictured) Does it have a seal or anything?

In my second batch, I have some 500ml mason jars which just have brown rice in them, I have followed Philly Golden Teachers videos here. I cooked the rice for about 15 mins and then sterilised the jars for 90mins in a pressure cooker before innoculating with a spawn syringe in a still air box (about 3cc each) - these all have GT strain in them. I thought things looked OK but my partner pointed out that a lot of the rice has popped. These are nine days in and showing nothing so far. How bad is it if the rice pops? I have seen people say to avoid it but what problems does it cause?

Because I am a geek, I am monitoring the cupboard with a temperature and humidity sensor setup I built with an Arduino. Channel here Temperature is between 21 and 25C.

Any tips? I hope this isn't too open a question - but interested in particular about HEPA filters and popped rice!

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineelectricasignum
Stranger
Male

What happens if grains split/pop [Re: electricasignum]
    #27089837 - 12/15/20 06:03 AM (2 months, 21 days ago)

I have a tiny bit of mycelium visible at the top of one of my jars now but it is looking sorta sorry for itself. I'm wondering what I have done wrong in this batch. What would happen if I overcooked the rice?

I'm 13 days in with the rice jars now, they look kind of dry. I followed Philly Golden Teachers suggestion and flipped the lids of the mason jars, and have them unscrewed by a quarter turn. Am I just being impatient?

Offlineelectricasignum
Stranger
Male

Re: What happens if grains split/pop [Re: electricasignum]
    #27108192 - 12/26/20 04:24 AM (2 months, 10 days ago)

I wanted to add a small update for anyone who comes across this post,

As I mentioned in the last update, one of the three jars started to show some growth at the top and this started to expand rapidly after my last post - but annoyingly green mould also showed up at the top. I figured the jar was a write off so I quarantined it and I tried on two occasions to scoop out the grains which had visible mould with a sterilised spoon - but this seems pretty pointless as the mould just came back with a vengence both times. I am just watching this jar now to see how the mycelium interacts with the mould before I chuck it on the compost!

There is better news though, my other two jars are both showing healthy growth now, it is about half way down the jar and emerging from the centre. I had almost given up hope but was holding on as condensation was becomming increasingly noticeable in the jars, indicating something was going on. These jars are showing the first signs of mycelium development 20-24 days after inoculation, which surprised me a little - but no complaints whatsoever!

Moral of the story: be patient.

OfflineBeano
Agar agar agar! ...
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: AB Flag
Re: What happens if grains split/pop [Re: electricasignum]
    #27140188 - 01/10/21 06:55 PM (1 month, 25 days ago)

Quote:

electricasignum said:
Moral of the story: be patient.

Bingo.

A burst gran CAN give a nice home for any lingering bacteria from my understanding.
I would keep an eye out for swollen grains tho, usually not a good sign. Swollen in relation to your other grains in the jar.
Popcorn holds up fairly well. I have no experience with rice.

A still air box will help you out
Search SAB

--------------------
Ope!
Gonna go ahead and
Sneak past ya here

Invisiblecoversall
إِنْ شَاءَ ٱللَهُ‎

Loc: संसार
Re: What happens if grains split/pop [Re: Beano]
    #27141185 - 01/11/21 04:41 AM (1 month, 25 days ago)

whole brown rice is an old tek that is not recommended. That rice looks over cooked imo. Also those 'pf' jars look like they have rye in them???? green mold sounds like it's game over for the jars.

to be frank, based on the images in your original post I don't have high hopes for these grows. any updated pictures?

have you read up on the actual pf tek? you can find it here

--------------------

..:: B E H E R E N O W ::..

..:: New? Lost? Click here! ::..
..:: Grow logs and other rubbish ::..

Edited by coversall (01/11/21 04:44 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Gypsum, HEPA Filter, Hot Plate, Injection Ports, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started