Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshrooms777
anyone here get bad yields first flush
    #2713898 - 05/22/04 02:08 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

from the 5 cakes, one hasnt even pinned yet, the others have shrooms that seem to have aborted at 1 to 1.5 inches growth. only 1 shroom made it to full maturity and its got a smaller shroom growing upside down on its cap too  :tongue: :laugh: :mushroom2: crazy mutuation, no wonder they are called magic mushrooms. isnt the first flush supposed to be the most prolific? I can already see a 2nd flush starting to pin, a bunch of pins on top of cake. id say maybe 20-30 grams only from first flush from 4 cakes. 3 are the 3 ounce cakes, one is the 8 ounce cake. ~70 grams needed to begin a real trip and experience, less=buzz

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshrooms777
Re: anyone here get bad yields first flush [Re: shrooms777]
    #2713984 - 05/22/04 03:10 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

ok just removed the shrooms, only 1 was fully grown, like 10 aborts about 1.5 inches long. the full grown onw(mutuant) weighed an amazing 10.8 grams, the aborts brought the total to 16g I have about 4 grams left on the cakes, maybe they will grow a bit more. I also see a bunch of new pins but they look like there gonna be teeeeny half gram shrooms. I noticed the cake that hasnt even pinned doesnt even have "roots" the other 4 got roots growing an inch and a half away from the cake into the perlite! could "old" spores have been responsable for poor yields? That syringe was from 9-12 months ago so maybe thats why I got a mutuation and aborts. spores about to expire=bad results :frown: my other syringages I just filled a couple days ago using 6-8 month old spore prints but I hear spore prints can last 2 years, syringages only like 9 months

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #2713991 - 05/22/04 03:22 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Go start up some grain (millet), far less work than cakes and it's clean to do in the kitchen. You won't have to worry about the RH as much either. You'll get bigger/better fruits. 5 grams dry of millet grown and you'll be sold. You've done the main work/practice i.e. sterile inoculations & incubation/colonisation with the cakes. You're ready for grain, it's easier. Time to upgrade. :smile:

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

Offlineshrooms777
Re: anyone here get bad yields first flush [Re: Starter]
    #2713999 - 05/22/04 03:39 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I was thinking of using whole brown rice, fill the half pint jars with those and just add a dry verm layer on top. no measuring even needed. just boil the rice, let it soak water, drain till not one drop drips then add the rice to glass and pressure cook. I was also thinking of using cow manue, esp pasturized and buy shallow aluminium trays and case the jars. right now I have 6 double shot glasses and 4 half pints going on that use whole wheat flour mixed with verm. ill case some and let the others pin off the cakes and see. what yields can casing get you? a wet kilogram?

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #2714006 - 05/22/04 04:08 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

>>>what yields can casing get you?

Millet (I know) can return 100 grams dry mushrooms or better to every 500 grams millet dry out of the birdseed bag input. That's a high ratio of return on substrate used, bulk will not field that. It doesn't have the nutrients.

>>>a wet kilogram?

That or even better is possible in 1st flush on 500 grams of cased millet. 500 grams of dry millet input is equivalent to two quart jars required.

But if you're after major yield, it's not practical to have an assembly line of millet on the roll. Far wiser to spawn to bulk as the workload is far less. Just use a LOT of bulk. Why not practice with a few spare cakes, shred them with a cheese grater and spawn away.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

OfflineRiceCake

Loc: UK
    #2714010 - 05/22/04 04:24 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I like the idea of plain boiled rice for the following reasons:

* Rice is very easy to get, and it's guarenteed fit for human consumption, so you're substrate is "clean".
* Because the rice has been boiled already, you don't have to worry about getting the grain/water ratio right.
* Leaving the rice in the jars for 24 hours before PCing will ensure any nasties have germinated and will be killed more easily when PCed.
* But especially, the yield will be greater because you can eat the cakes after they have finished producing (but only if there's definately _no_ sign of contams)

Offlineshrooms777
Re: anyone here get bad yields first flush [Re: RiceCake]
    #2714012 - 05/22/04 04:34 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

how exactly does casing go? can it be put into the rubbermaid with perlite the same way cakes go? how will I get so much water? keep adding water twice a day? Thanks you have been most helpful. I never cased before, just did cakes. can you link me to a guide for casing, bulk and millet?

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2714016 - 05/22/04 04:40 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I know the brown rice works,and it is an easy option. I just thought I would let you guys know what you wont like about it before you try it.

The rice makes a nasty looking gunk all over the inside of the jar when you shake it to speed up colonization. This makes it a bit hard to keep a watchfull eye out for contams. Your like,"I wonder what is going on in there?"

You can eat the cake when it is finished but somehow that just doesnt appeal to me all that much,but to each his own and I guess recycling is a good thing.

If you are getting proficient at your sterile tecnique and want to increase yields,you should look into grains like millet,rye,and my favorite cracked corn.

You can case the finished grain ,or spawn it into a bulk substrate like horse poo. (works friggin awesome IMO) These methods work very well and you can get fully colonized jars in no time compared to the pf tek with verm and brf.

The high abort rate could be caused by any of several factors,but I would start with making sure the rh is optimum and you need frequent air exchange to keep everything going well.

Good Luck
MYKEY

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale