Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJohannJux
Stranger

Is a pressure cooker and agar TEK worth it?
    #27135688 - 01/08/21 06:21 PM (1 month, 27 days ago)

Hey,
I'm a total newbie with shrooms but I want to start growing some soon. I don't have a pressure cooker though and I'm not really sure if I should get one.

I found that many here and in other places very much prefer the agar to grain TEK with a pressure cooker over a PF tek. Obviously grain is cheap but I'm not here to make kilos, due to spacial constraints I won't be able to go much larger than one or two shoeboxes.

So from experience which option would you suggest?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemad_dingo
professional mango
 User Gallery

Re: Is a pressure cooker and agar TEK worth it? [Re: JohannJux]
    #27135717 - 01/08/21 06:31 PM (1 month, 27 days ago)

Totally worth it. You don't even necessarily need one of those huge canning PCs either. Just get a larger one from the kitchen section (8-10l). These often don't actually reach the 15psi, but you can compensate with longer sterilization times. With a simple SAB even a beginner (like me) can have high rates of success with agar to grain, or agar to LI to BRF.

You can use the PC for cooking purposes, too.  :wink:

If you can live with frequent failures and have access to spore syringes, the good old pf tek is still a viable choice though.

Offlinecalmtitty
Scholar

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Is a pressure cooker and agar TEK worth it? [Re: mad_dingo]
    #27135810 - 01/08/21 07:10 PM (1 month, 27 days ago)

I scored a 23 quart PC on wayfair for like 75% off. Just look for the deals. Even doing ms to grain is better than doing pf  tek imo.

Agar is the only way to get consistent results and at the end of the day it'll save you time and money because you won't be throwing away contaminated jars as much.

I'm still in my first grow though, so take that with a grain of salt. I chose to do ms to grain right away and I'm in the middle of my first flush. I have agar stuff sitting here though for when I get time.

Offlinejay.ach
Traveler
Male User Gallery

Re: Is a pressure cooker and agar TEK worth it? [Re: calmtitty]
    #27136159 - 01/08/21 09:46 PM (1 month, 27 days ago)

I agree --  PC and agar will lead to a much higher success rate.  That being said, no matter which you start, you may going have a little bit of failure in the beginning.  Just keep working on your technique and post your results.

--------------------
β€œOne's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.”  - Henry Miller

OnlineDoctor MarioS
πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„
Male

Loc: πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
Re: Is a pressure cooker and agar TEK worth it? [Re: jay.ach]
    #27136577 - 01/09/21 12:58 AM (1 month, 26 days ago)

It will be one of the best investments you've made. PF tek works but taking spores directly to grain is always risky. With a PC you can sterilize your grain/tools and drastically improve your success rate. You will thank yourself but you're going to have to learn how to practice sterile technique and use one of these. PF tek can be just as much (if not more) work than bulk and has a lower yield.

OfflineHikeadellic
Visionary
Male

Loc: Appalachian Trail
    #27136652 - 01/09/21 02:12 AM (1 month, 26 days ago)

Also remember that you can shred your brf to bulk substrates

OfflineFrostyStipe

Re: Is a pressure cooker and agar TEK worth it? [Re: Hikeadellic] * 1
    #27137245 - 01/09/21 11:48 AM (1 month, 26 days ago)

I think a pc and agar are absolutely worth it.

But

It depends on your goals. Do you have a genuine interest in mycology? Do you plan on making this an ongoing hobby or are you just trying to fill a jar of shroomies to take a couple trips? Nothing wrong that, just all depends on what you want to do.

--------------------
1% tripping balls 99% doing dishes

OfflineJohannJux
Stranger

Re: Is a pressure cooker and agar TEK worth it? [Re: FrostyStipe]
    #27138126 - 01/09/21 07:40 PM (1 month, 26 days ago)

Quote:

FrostyStipe said:
It depends on your goals. Do you have a genuine interest in mycology? Do you plan on making this an ongoing hobby or are you just trying to fill a jar of shroomies to take a couple trips?

I'm not really sure yet. I was never really interested in plants before, but I think the mushrooms are a bit more engaging. I love to put work into a thing and create something with it and the whole process from spore to harvest reads like a lot of fun here :grin:

OfflineJohannJux
Stranger

#27138130 - 01/09/21 07:41 PM (1 month, 26 days ago)

I think you already convinced me to get a pressure cooker, would 10 -12 ltr be a sufficient size ? I know a lot of you guys use like 25l but they are a bit expensive...

OnlineDoctor MarioS
πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„
Male

Loc: πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
    #27138137 - 01/09/21 07:46 PM (1 month, 26 days ago)

That all depends on what you're trying to do. You can sterilize 10 jars at a time with a Presto 23qt. They're about 90 bucks at most places. When I bought mine, there was a shortage because of COVID and I spent $160.00 on what seemed like the last one in existence. I'd happily pay 90 for another.

OnlineBeano
Agar agar agar! ...
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: AB Flag
Re: Is a pressure cooker and agar TEK worth it? [Re: Doctor Mario]
    #27138419 - 01/09/21 10:20 PM (1 month, 25 days ago)

The short answer would be yes.
It stings a little having to throw out contaminated anything.

If you stop by second hand stores or places of the like you can often pick up a used PC for 10-50.
Make sure it hasn't been boiled dry, usually the bottom will push out, set it on a flat surface and make sure it plants itself without any wobble.

If you have the means, I'd buy new.

--------------------
Ope!
Gonna go ahead and
Sneak past ya here

OfflineHikeadellic
Visionary
Male

Loc: Appalachian Trail
Re: Is a pressure cooker and agar TEK worth it? [Re: Beano]
    #27138912 - 01/10/21 04:28 AM (1 month, 25 days ago)

A good pressure cooker is the best investment you can make in this hobby. However we are in the midst of a steel shortage on one end and a canning good / pressure cooker shortage on the other end so it will be pricey until further notice. It may be wise to churn out numerous brf cakes via steam sterilization and shred them to bulk until the market comes to a more reasonable price

Invisiblecoversall
Ψ₯ِنْ شَاَؑ Ω±Ω„Ω„ΩŽΩ‡Ωβ€Ž

Loc: ΰ€Έΰ€‚ΰ€Έΰ€Ύΰ€°
Re: Is a pressure cooker and agar TEK worth it? [Re: Hikeadellic]
    #27138916 - 01/10/21 04:30 AM (1 month, 25 days ago)

Just to throw this into the mix:

The PF tek can yeild great results, and is a forgiving tek that allows for less developed skills. Don't write it off. If you have spore syringes I strongly suggest running some pf jars along side any agar -> grain grows you may setup.

--------------------

..:: B E H E R E N O W ::..

..:: New? Lost? Click here! ::..
..:: Grow logs and other rubbish ::..

Offlinemad_dingo
professional mango
 User Gallery

#27139413 - 01/10/21 12:10 PM (1 month, 25 days ago)

Quote:

JohannJux said:
I think you already convinced me to get a pressure cooker, would 10 -12 ltr be a sufficient size ? I know a lot of you guys use like 25l but they are a bit expensive...

Sure. Mine is 8.5l nominally. It fits at least three 0.25l medium bottles, 8 250ml pftek jars or 3 900ml grain jars (with extra low trivet). Thats plenty. You might need a little luck getting jars of the right size though.

Edited by mad_dingo (01/13/21 10:24 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started