Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinegreenladel

Re: some questions to improve my sterile practice [Re: bigfootscreepyuncl]
    #27056573 - 11/25/20 05:47 AM (2 months, 30 days ago)

Quote:

bigfootscreepyuncl said:
Since you mentioned being new to using a Pressure Cooker and that you're dealing with contamination issues, read through Bods Pressure Cooker TEK (linked below). Like you I've never used a PC prior to this and there was a lot of good information in there that I would have never thought of/figured out. Additionally, there is a sub-link in the TEK about venting your PC prior to starting the sterilization process. Give it a read, apply it and see if it helps clean up your jars. Cheers, mate!

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24180711/vc/1#24180711

thank you for the help.
i have read through that post 3 times now :laugh: i read it twice before buying a PC and again before i used it haha.
to be honest i think the actual use of the pressure cooker is okay, my only potential concern with the PC is i do wonder if i have the heat high enough, but i could not find any information anywhere about where to set it.
i have an electric hob and once i have vented i drop the heat down to 3, which doesnt say much about temperature. one day i will be able to buy a good PC with a pressure gauge but i dont think that is the problem. if 90 minutes in a pot with a tight fitting lid works then surely 160 mins in a 10psi PC, even if the lid was not properly sealed and it was not vented, should be okay?

i will find out in my next attempt because i am going to do some control jars as suggested by others. i will leave the foil on some and if they get contaminated then my PC practice is to blame.

thanks for the help :heart:

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinegreenladel

Re: some questions to improve my sterile practice [Re: greenladel]
    #27079956 - 12/09/20 07:10 AM (2 months, 16 days ago)

i inoculated 3 jars yesterday and ran a control jar that followed the same procedure minus the inoculation.

i followed as much of the advice as possible from here and other threads, packing the top-sides of the BRF cake and the verm barrier only, wiping the rim with ISO instead of dry paper towel, etc. i also ground the dry layer a little more in my fingers as i was putting it in and used micropore tape on the holes to be sure. hopefully i dont suffocate it.
i also gave the SAB much more time to settle and prepped my workspace a lot more efficiently this time.

i feel better about this one, but its nice to have a control jar to help figure it out if it goes wrong.
i have no money to spend at the moment, but in the new year i will start working with agar. for now all i need is some BRF to do another 10+ jars so i will keep learning with what i have until then.

thank you everybody for the help <3
fingers crossed this will be the one!

Offlinekarri0n
No Title
 User Gallery

#27080141 - 12/09/20 10:30 AM (2 months, 16 days ago)

To know if you are cooking at proper temp without a gauge, you have to use the weight. Turn the heat to the lowest you can get it with the weight still making a rhythmic rocking sound. It rocks at 15psi(unless your PC is specified as something other than 15).

Since I have a small PC and Bod puts 3 quarters on his 23qt presto to keep the steam in while cooking at 15psi without tons of crazy rocking and losing of steam, I use 1 quarter on top of mine.

By doing this I am sure that my pressure is high enough, and also that I can pc things for the full 90min in my small cooker without running out of water.

--------------------
Anything written above is just as likely to be accurate as it is to be corrected by someone smarter than me two posts from now.

My Journal / Grow Log

Offlinegreenladel

Re: some questions to improve my sterile practice [Re: karri0n]
    #27081947 - 12/10/20 11:49 AM (2 months, 15 days ago)

Quote:

karri0n said:
To know if you are cooking at proper temp without a gauge, you have to use the weight. Turn the heat to the lowest you can get it with the weight still making a rhythmic rocking sound. It rocks at 15psi(unless your PC is specified as something other than 15).

Since I have a small PC and Bod puts 3 quarters on his 23qt presto to keep the steam in while cooking at 15psi without tons of crazy rocking and losing of steam, I use 1 quarter on top of mine.

By doing this I am sure that my pressure is high enough, and also that I can pc things for the full 90min in my small cooker without running out of water.

thanks for the reply.
my pressure cooker doesnt have a standard jiggle weight. it has a lever, but i tried to mimic that the best i could. one day i will treat myself to a good PC :laugh:
im sure my times and pressure must be okay though. the tek says you can sterilize the cake for 90 minutes in a pot with a tight fitting lid, surely even if i am using my PC incorrectly it would still be on par with a pot and tight fitting lid, particularly as i am cooking for between 120-160 minutes. am i wrong about that?

here is a picture of the same PC i have. it is only a cheap 10psi chinese thing. you can see the valve that replaces the jiggle weight. there is nothing i can do to even adjust it, not safely anyway :laugh:

Offlinekarri0n
No Title
 User Gallery

#27082363 - 12/10/20 03:45 PM (2 months, 15 days ago)

Ah, I see what you mean now!

As you said, this should be just fine for of cakes since they can be steam sterilized.

--------------------
Anything written above is just as likely to be accurate as it is to be corrected by someone smarter than me two posts from now.

My Journal / Grow Log

Offlinegreenladel

#27083446 - 12/11/20 06:11 AM (2 months, 14 days ago)

Quote:

karri0n said:
Ah, I see what you mean now!

As you said, this should be just fine for of cakes since they can be steam sterilized.

thank you for confirming that. i have raised the question a few times in different places and everybody else has either not noticed it or sidestepped it :smile:
i have settled on 130 mins now, which i think must be enough. at least now i have a control jar i can watch so i guess i will find out :smile:

thanks for the help <3

Offlinegreenladel

#27097181 - 12/19/20 08:21 AM (2 months, 6 days ago)

Update:
this time has gone very well. the mycelium is growing nicely and looks like its clean so far. its typical that the only time i ran a control jar was when it went well. i think my problem was small errors i was making along the way. there is still plenty of time for these to go wrong, but i am feeling positive.
interestingly, 2 of 3 jars have no growth at 1 inoculation point. i suspect i didnt cool the needle enough or didnt push enough solution through after flame sterilizing. next time i will wait longer and push a little more through (hopefully onto agar soon!).
here is a picture of one of the inoculation points from about 5-6 days ago. that same point is about 3cm diameter now. i will try to get some up to date pics up soon.

thank you all for the help :heart::heart::heart:

Offlinekarri0n
No Title
 User Gallery

#27097398 - 12/19/20 11:00 AM (2 months, 6 days ago)

Quote:

greenladel said:
Update:
2 of 3 jars have no growth at 1 inoculation point. i suspect i didnt cool the needle enough or didnt push enough solution through after flame sterilizing. next time i will wait longer and push a little more through

More likely than too little was too much, and the moisture content in that spot became too mushy/wet for mycelium to crawl or too good of a home for bacteria(of which there will always be some in the syringe).

--------------------

My Journal / Grow Log

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
    #27097519 - 12/19/20 12:14 PM (2 months, 6 days ago)

Your jar mix looks like it has too much brf. Proportions should be 2:1:1 Verm:Water:Brf. It's looks like you did 1:1 or even 2:1 BRF:verm.

It's also pretty early stage of growth, so your other spot may get myc in a few days. If not, it's not a real big problem. Jars can colonize off a single innoc point, it's just gonna take a little more time.

Offlinegreenladel

Re: some questions to improve my sterile practice [Re: LtLurker]
    #27098723 - 12/20/20 04:44 AM (2 months, 5 days ago)

i definitely used a 2:1:1 ratio. maybe it looks like this because the verm is too fine?

here is a picture of the same point today. looks pretty good to me so far, but i dont really know what i am looking for :laugh:
how does it look to you guys?

thanks for the help

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
    #27098942 - 12/20/20 09:35 AM (2 months, 5 days ago)

with that pic i think it was lighting making it looks really white. I also use fine verm and that wouldn't be it

Offlinekarri0n
No Title
 User Gallery

Re: some questions to improve my sterile practice [Re: LtLurker]
    #27099337 - 12/20/20 02:23 PM (2 months, 5 days ago)

Looking good!

I agree about the lighting. I thought it was a pic of an almost fully colonized cake in the first one but I hadn't zoomed. It's just really white in that photo.

--------------------

My Journal / Grow Log

Offlinegreenladel

#27100235 - 12/21/20 03:44 AM (2 months, 5 days ago)

ah okay it was the lighting. i was worried then for a moment :laugh:

thank you for your input guys :heart:

Offlinegreenladel

#27134498 - 01/08/21 06:24 AM (1 month, 17 days ago)

these jars seem to be doing great. a little slow, but i expected that due to slightly colder temperatures than desired (~21°C average), and the fact that i packed the cake down probably more than i should have.

heres a pic. the black lines and dotted lines are just me keeping track. the thick, newest line was 3 days ago, so they are still moving along.

i have also received the last of the things i need to get started with agar and should be able to do that tomorrow hopefully, then i will inoculate more BRF cakes and streak to agar at the same time and start doing transfers and isolations while learning about grains (seems like a simple enough sub-topic so far).

thank you all for the help with this, and the encouragement to get started with agar! :heart:

Offlinekarri0n
No Title
 User Gallery

#27135170 - 01/08/21 01:26 PM (1 month, 17 days ago)

Looking good so far!

Are those pint jars?

With jars bigger than half pint you might find that they stall before the bottom gets colonized. That is very common and the reason that half pints are usually recommended.

If that happens, instead of throwing them out or birthing them and letting mold get to the uncolonized part, use the top casing method as described in bod's "easiest cheapest way to get started" thread. I've done this with some jars who had a small window of uncolonized brf and didn't see any problems other than side pinning.

--------------------

My Journal / Grow Log

Offlinegreenladel

#27135505 - 01/08/21 04:16 PM (1 month, 17 days ago)

Quote:

karri0n said:
Looking good so far!

Are those pint jars?

With jars bigger than half pint you might find that they stall before the bottom gets colonized. That is very common and the reason that half pints are usually recommended.

If that happens, instead of throwing them out or birthing them and letting mold get to the uncolonized part, use the top casing method as described in bod's "easiest cheapest way to get started" thread. I've done this with some jars who had a small window of uncolonized brf and didn't see any problems other than side pinning.

thank you.
the jars are about 320ml (~0.68 us pints) total volume, the cake is about 250ml (~0.53 us pints), so slightly more than half pint. i will keep that in mind, thank you.
my plan was to grate these to shoeboxes and i read on this thread that if they stalled i could just use the part that is colonized and discard the rest. would that be okay for shoeboxes?

thank you for the help :heart:

Offlinekarri0n
No Title
 User Gallery

#27136603 - 01/09/21 12:15 AM (1 month, 17 days ago)

Quote:

greenladel said:
Quote:

karri0n said:
Looking good so far!

Are those pint jars?

thank you.
the jars are about 320ml (~0.68 us pints) total volume, the cake is about 250ml (~0.53 us pints), so slightly more than half pint. i will keep that in mind, thank you.
my plan was to grate these to shoeboxes and i read on this thread that if they stalled i could just use the part that is colonized and discard the rest. would that be okay for shoeboxes?

thank you for the help :heart:

Yeah it sounds like a bunch of folks have had successes with that as well. I'd just make sure anything uncolonized was fully cleaned off.

--------------------

My Journal / Grow Log

Offlinegreenladel

#27136775 - 01/09/21 04:26 AM (1 month, 16 days ago)

Quote:

karri0n said:

Yeah it sounds like a bunch of folks have had successes with that as well. I'd just make sure anything uncolonized was fully cleaned off.

will do. thank you for the help :heart:

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started