Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Hygrometer, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJesus-Christ
Re: Are these pins?
    #271317 - 03/14/01 02:09 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

hey Kast

Thanx! Dude, one of my apostles says that little dropplets are visible on his casing. Are these little drops that are visible going to be a problem? should he take the casing out of the terrarium and let it dry for a while? I think they might be dropping from the lid! I read the petroleum jelly smeared on the lid would stop this but I guess it still happends a little. What du you think?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineKast
old hand
Re: Are these pins? [Re: Jesus-Christ]
    #271453 - 03/14/01 03:51 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Well, in my experience, condensation falling from the lid is no problem. In fact, I've never used any method to stop it and have never seen a problem. And even now as I think of it, I've never known anyone to see it as a problem other than the fact that they HEARD it was bad. So, in my opinion, ixnay on the petroleum jelly.

Droplets on the casing. It depends on the size. If they ARE droplets, and are extremely small, I recommend you don't stick your face so close to the casing :) Your breath is a major contamination vector for casings. If it's large water droplets, otherwise known as puddles, you've probably panned the surface by overwatering(which I doubt), or it's overlaid (which I also doubt). In either case, you could lightly ruffle the surface of the casing. BUT, that's only for informational purposes, in your case do NOT do this out of boredom and wanting to figet with it. Your best bet right now is to simply be patient, watch and be amazed at how tenacious your mushrooms are.

The casing SHOULD be absorbing the moisture quite well, and if it's not doing that, it may be due to the thin layer and you might want to try a bit thicker layer next time. Either way, I think it will flush fine. You will be relieved once you see the pins :) Until then, though, be patient and don't mess with it too much.

Sorry, I rambled.

OfflineJesus-Christ
Re: Are these pins? [Re: Kast]
    #271635 - 03/14/01 01:23 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Don't Worry about rambling. Hey one of my groupies which you might be familiar with has some questions. His name is paul the apostle! See, some of his jars a starting to pin and he wants to know if he should put them in the casings right on top of the perlite so they can have enough moisture. there are no other terraniums available. Maybe he should let them Fruit invitro.

Also, there is a brownish color inside most of these jars! I think its just the vermiculite coloring. He has become familiar with contams and also feels that It is only the vermiculite. Is this normal? I think it is. They smell fresh and shroomy.

OfflineKast
old hand
    #271921 - 03/14/01 09:21 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, your apostle can put his cakes directly on the perlite. The only problem I've seen with this is that the mushrooms sometimes get waterlogged, but in actuality, it really isn't much of a problem at all.

As for the brownish color, I couldn't tell for sure without a good picture, but if you feel confident that it isn't a contaminant then I would go with your instincts. Keep an eye out at any rate, to see if it spreads or appears pathogenic.

OfflineJesus-Christ
    #272015 - 03/14/01 11:11 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Hey kast

Thanx. But what about the humidity? These terariums are for his casings and it might not be humid enough. I thought this would be a problem. Will it?

OfflineKast
old hand
    #272111 - 03/15/01 02:04 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Casings coupled with perlite will provide plenty of humidity. When fruiting casings, perlite isn't even necessary. If you're really worried, I recommend investing in a hygrometer. But if you ask my opinion, I'd say it should be plenty. You can also spray a few times a day as well which will helps maintain humidity. Keep all interior surfaces of the terrarium damp.

OfflineJesus-Christ
    #272126 - 03/15/01 02:23 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Dude, sorry I forgot to tell you that he only has a couple of small trays of perlite so that he doesnt have a humidity overkill. Man!! guess what. It doesnt matter anymore. He lost all his casings to contams!! Fuck!! he has some casings that look good still. That terarium has now been converted to a cake terarium full of perlite. A few days ago he had to cut some sections out of another casing because it had cobweb!!! This is starting to become a war againts contams!!! Hey do you think it is possible that the initial syringes were contaminated or had a high level of contams? He has been playing by the rules and still has lost over 30 jars to contams!!!!! There all from the 2 same fucken syringes. Dam!! What a bad experience this is becoming. It looks like he might get some result soon!! Praise the lord!!

Offlinecubist
Stranger
    #272217 - 03/15/01 09:11 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Bummer. I hope that doesn't happen to me.

::: crosses fingers :::

OfflineKast
old hand
    #272726 - 03/15/01 11:11 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Let me tell you what the contaminants hate the most: fresh air.

Fans as much and as often as possible until the contams are under control. Once they break out and sporulate, your clothes and anything around you, including equipment, the terrarium, teasing needles, or anything, will become a prime target for the spores to adhere to. Mainly your clothes, though. They seem to comes in waves at times especially because in the home environment there are so many places for the spores to become lodged just waiting for your next casing. So fan fan fan fan fan. Just be sure to maintain humidity as loads of air will obviously lower the moisture content of the air and of the casing.

Edited by Kast on 03/15/01 11:19 PM.

OfflineJesus-Christ
    #273058 - 03/16/01 01:31 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Shit!! My disiples are losing this war againts contams!! A huge casing was thrown out. On the good side there are three succsesful casings and a few cakes fruiting. All this after losing so much. I guess the disiples are taking a hard lesson. My groupies think im leading them astry! I told them that a casing layer would provide protection against evil contams. Now thier having better results with exposed cakes! Some caings were to wet and some were to dry. I didnt seem to make a difference since they all died from evil contams. They were fanned three times a day.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Hygrometer, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation