Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineAlsetAlokin
Student

Re: Anyone have link or pics of early stage agar inoculation? [Re: Uzimyco]
    #27135253 - 01/08/21 01:05 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Uzimyco said:
Ironically as I went to empty the incubator

Your what?

Post some pics of your work space and people on here could help point out some flaws in your technique. (This is my favorite method to see if I'm fucking something up big time)

Don't cook the plates. Mold looooves heat, and I've had all of my plates do fine at 63°F 20-40%RH in a closet and now that is my preferred method.

Only take transfers from where you inoculated, those spots could be satellite colonies but it becomes difficult to differentiate when you use syringes or have a wet plate. Another reason dry spores are preferred.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineUzimyco
Searcher of information
Male
Loc: South Florida
Re: Anyone have link or pics of early stage agar inoculation? [Re: AlsetAlokin]
    #27135978 - 01/08/21 06:18 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Hahaha 🤣  yes incubator is really an exaggerated term for sure.

It’s just an opaque Rubbermaid tub, that is floating in water which has an aquarium heater in it. Then above it has a couple of heat lamps shining down. The thermometer reflects 75 degrees virtually at all times. Being that im in south Florida, the air conditioner runs ALOT.

It is interesting what you’re saying though. I mean 63 degrees? Here in Florida you couldn’t get a house down to 63 degrees virtually ever. Now what’s really interesting is that as some time has gone on, I’ve been dialing back the temps (pre agar use).  It is hard to believe that when I began reading about the subject many things stated “best practices” of temperatures of 84-86 degrees.

I decided to dial it back on my own. It’s really strange though that so many things reference fairly high temps and then others refer to room temp snd even as low as you’ve suggested.

Pretty big spread to me. The disparity confuses me.....

--------------------
Thankfully the US Constitution ensures that my rights don't end where your feelings begin

Offlinejcm4620
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27136000 - 01/08/21 06:26 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

so in other words you have them in a contamination chamber😂😂

as stated above good ol room temp is the best way. ur only askin for problems playin with useless toys

--------------------
PANAEOLUS FRUITING MADE SIMPLE

OfflineMadscience039
Yodeler
 User Gallery
Re: Anyone have link or pics of early stage agar inoculation? [Re: jcm4620]
    #27136008 - 01/08/21 06:29 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, that contraption sounds crazy. And just not necessary. Gulf coast here and my plates are at room temp year round.

You're begging for contamination hombre

OfflineAlsetAlokin
Student

#27136026 - 01/08/21 06:39 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

I'm no ethnobotanist, or mycologist, I just see what countless others have done on here and what has worked for me. It's usually plates in a closet, drawer, or rack.

70°F is the sweet spot for most things when it comes to cubes from what I've gathered.

Making things overbuilt is fine if that's your thing, but no one wants to clean a tank, replace water, bulbs or has the facilities to manage that. So collective this forum creates TEKs to simplify the entire process and achieve the best results.

If you look at TEKs made 10 years ago they're extremely complicated and overbought because that's the only way that was known how to do it. We know a lot more now.

InvisibleDoctor Mario
🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄
Male Unread Journal

Loc: 🇺🇸
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anyone have link or pics of early stage agar inoculation? [Re: AlsetAlokin]
    #27136091 - 01/08/21 07:09 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, totally ditch that thing. Some recommend not letting anything get over 80°F because bacteria and mold thrive at those higher temperatures however, that's exactly what I want. If there's any unwanted shit in my plates/tubs I want it to show up sooner than later.

--------------------

Offlinejcm4620
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anyone have link or pics of early stage agar inoculation? [Re: Doctor Mario]
    #27136292 - 01/08/21 08:37 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

i dont suggest ever letting plates get over 72-75deg f. there just simply no need for it and if u think u need to do that in order to see if somethin will show then i think you really need to pay closer attention to detail. quite honestly if you cant get a grain worthy plate by t2 or t3 by the latest you should prolly review your sterile technique cuz there is somethin your causing that is givin you the issues.

this is just a general statement here. its not directed at anyone. i know what ur sayin mario about wanting shit to show its self in early stages

--------------------

Edited by jcm4620 (01/08/21 08:39 PM)

InvisibleDoctor Mario
🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄
Male Unread Journal

Trusted Cultivator
    #27136306 - 01/08/21 08:44 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

You're not wrong. I dont intentionally heat the area to bring the temp up but during summer it was pretty normal to see my grow area get up to 80°F. I just let it ride.

--------------------

Offlinejcm4620
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anyone have link or pics of early stage agar inoculation? [Re: Doctor Mario]
    #27136470 - 01/08/21 09:47 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

ya i understood what u were sayin all the way man👍👍👍

my area stays at the 76-78 range perfectly i dont even have my heat vent open in the room and same in the summer with the air on. just the fcs lights and pumps runnin heats it perfectly for the temp im shooting for with pans

--------------------

InvisibleDoctor Mario
🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄
Male Unread Journal

Trusted Cultivator
    #27136477 - 01/08/21 09:53 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

I've got a couple fleuroescent tubes that keep the area warm. Just the top of the closet. During the summer 1/4 tubes were on and it got up to 82°F at the highest. Now that it's cold (this house is drafty) I keep 2 turned on and the temp stays around 75 during the day. I think it gets down to low 60's at night when the lights are off. Havent checked the thermometer in a while. I just read your pan tek. Definitely gonna be doin that in the future. Have a bunch of cubes I wanna cult first. Thinking about gourmet too just not sure if theres any that are plausible with my living situation. Don't want oyster spores in my house. Pan's will give me the straw pasteurization experience for when I make the jump to gourmet?

--------------------

Offlinejcm4620
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27136483 - 01/08/21 09:57 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

ya i hate not havin the room/space for all i would like to grow😂

--------------------

InvisibleDoctor Mario
🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄
Male Unread Journal

Trusted Cultivator
    #27136518 - 01/08/21 10:19 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Same. Gonna have to kick the wife and kids out to free up some rooms 😆

--------------------

OfflineUzimyco
Searcher of information
Male
    #27136530 - 01/08/21 10:30 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

I think I’m exactly where you guys are saying really.

Look at the thermometer in this pic. It’s right at 75. That’s room temp. Not hot anymore. I mean from what I’ve seen cubes grow in warm areas. Areas that don’t get to
65 from what I can tell.  They are mostly zone 10 and higher. 70-75 is on the low end of those zones. I’ve been plenty successful with cakes. Had some trouble with agar but it’s a first go and I think you’ve all determined that my water bath was bad and I didn’t sterilize it enough.

I’m thinking this dry spore run will be devoid of major contam. That was likely the error. We’ll know in a couple of days here. But again. I used to be at 85. Now at 74-75. Like I said. Cubes grow in warm places. Florida Brazil, Hawaii, Thailand. These are all zone 10 and higher. I’ve been a plant collector of tropicas for 30 years. I know at least what endemic temps are. I have to believe I’m ok at 70-75. Cakes at 85 blew up.

Not disagreeing. But my contam issue here wasn’t really temp related. The boiled water bath was just nowhere near sterile enough. Thank But I’ve cut that out. I’m hoping I’m good now.

The box serves as an additional sterile environment. Just keeps things out. It’s not fancy but it is certainly cleaner than being exposed in the room. Temp
Gauge is at the top if you can zoom in. Big number is humidity. Small is temp. I’ll dial it back a few

Plates on top are new. Dry spore. Bottom some of the left overs from the disaster. But we’ll see if that was the issue for sure.

--------------------
Thankfully the US Constitution ensures that my rights don't end where your feelings begin

Edited by Uzimyco (01/08/21 10:33 PM)

Offlinejcm4620
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27136540 - 01/08/21 10:36 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

well have fun playin with ur contamination station
sterilized water 😂 u can fill that thing with iso if u wanted and its still gnna work against your interest.

--------------------

Offlinejcm4620
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27136543 - 01/08/21 10:38 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

i store my plates in a fuckin mold ridden room with not pretty carpet on a shelf and i also fart, burp,cough,sneeze, smoke cigs, eat,drink and leave the occasional trash out and still zero issues. ur problem is ur over engineering a paper airplane🤷🏼

and im also willing to bet there is holes in ur prep either of the agar its self or in ur sterile technique

il just say one more time. ditch the mr wizard contamination propagation station. review your agar prep and sterile tech pour control plates ect. and work it out thru process of elimination. you do that and ul b just fine

--------------------

Edited by jcm4620 (01/08/21 10:47 PM)

OfflineProfessor X
School for the Gifted
 User Gallery

#27136650 - 01/09/21 12:11 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

I agree with you're overcomplicating things. I leave everything at room temp, was 72 forever but recently changed to 74 to make the wife happy. I grow in a carpeted room that also houses 5 rats and a dog. I do all my transfers in front of a flow hood one room over 3 or 4 feet from 7 adult male rats. I have a 95% success rate. I tried all the fine tuned mumbo jumbo, incubators etc... Big waste of time. I cycle 23 tubs totalling 54 quarts of spawn and don't have time for downtime, I get 2 flushes and chuck. 1 month life cycles. What I'm saying is there is a lot of good info on this site as well as good advice in this thread.

Some real solid advice, pay attention to dates on threads, if it's old it's probably outdated. When you see some crazy tek or info that looks too good to be true, read through to the end, if they didn't post results there is a reason for that. And stop following PF teks, that shit is super old and didn't work when he wrote it. Only reason I learned to grow mush 20 some odd years ago is because I have a high IQ and paid attention in biology.

--------------------

My no pour Petri TEK - https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27252059/page/1

OfflineUzimyco
Searcher of information
Male
Re: Anyone have link or pics of early stage agar inoculation? [Re: Professor X]
    #27136980 - 01/09/21 07:45 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

All understood guys.

Many thanks as always for the invaluable advice! I’m following all you’ve all laid out here now with much more confidence that I’m headed in the right direction.

I do admit - I’m still waiting on my hepa to complete my new hood. The SAB will be the death of me. I’m so looking forward to the pleasure of working in front of the flow hood vs the glove box. Everything is ready. My panels. My blower. Just need the damn filter. Was ordered back 3 weeks ago but all of these companies have like a 4-6 week lead time. There’s an opportunity to make some cash. Start making particle board box hepa filters. What a racket!?

--------------------

OfflineUzimyco
Searcher of information
Male
    #27137000 - 01/09/21 07:58 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

I read your pan instructions as well. Really awesome. So we’ll written. Right to the point. No extraneous info.  I’m nowhere near trying it but if/when I do I’ll use your write up as an a-z guide.

I did laugh quite a bit as in that case you sound like me. I currently have (although have never used so far - all kinds of airstones, multi port pumps, timers with 1 minute intervals, etc). Since I’ve been into horticulture for so long I’ve become accustomed to the “gear” so without even knowing I’ve acquired all of those things in anticipation of this.

I realize you’re saying that overwhelmingly all of these things are unnecessary (maybe moreso with pans) but at least I felt like less of a weirdo since it looks like I followed your original path much to a tee as far as spending money on toys to “cool it up” or really in an effort to think that I would be uber-inflating my results :smile:

--------------------

Offlinejcm4620
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27137212 - 01/09/21 09:37 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

glove box u say???? if so theres ur problem. your contamin shit out in the glove box and then putting it in an environment where it thrives.

its called a still air box for a reason. thats cuz it needs still air. when u have gloves n shit attached to it all it does is create a push/pull vaccum effect movin the air enuff to fuck ur shit up. and i wouldnt b the least bit shocked to see ur plates are trash after pouring in there even.

if your using glove box get rid of that shit👍👍

--------------------

Edited by jcm4620 (01/09/21 09:39 AM)

Offlinejcm4620
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27137228 - 01/09/21 09:43 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

pans are the only time u need any of the shit im using

but for growin cubes all u need is clean spawn, propperly prepped coir and verm sub,a light and a plastic tote thats it

--------------------

Edited by jcm4620 (01/09/21 09:44 AM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale