Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OnlineAsanteA
low dose - high adventure
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Netherlands Flag
Imagine... Not the song but something better.
    #27129684 - 01/06/21 06:52 AM (1 month, 23 days ago)

Imagine that the world's experts on a certain subject, such as energy efficient lighting, all got hooked up together to figure out how to make the most energy efficient, durable, and least resource intensive way to make a lightbulb.

These experts would come from all corporations active in their field, hooked up though the Internet.

Kind of like the Manhattan Project.

So, these experts from all these companies network together and arrive at a product markedly better than anything we have now.

Thats what you inevitably get if you let the worlds experts puzzle on the same puzzle.

The companies that participated by lending their experts to the project then all get a blueprint for what the new system is supposed to be like, the science part of it, and they then develop it into a practical design with the company's signature.

Isn't that how we should tackle ALL innovation problems?

Put all the exp;erts together, not in competition against each other like boxers but side by side like navy seals to tackle the problem, united - then distribute the novel and superior technology to all corporations who participated?

Isn't that - BETTER?

Isn't that how we should do that?
You may choose only one
YES - that got us into the nuclear age and on the moon
NO - where 2 people work together in harmony, communism begins
I dunno man, its not my department.
STAL

Votes accepted from (01/05/21 09:52 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------
CDC  COVID  SELF-CHECKER  :syringe:  COVID  MAIN  THREAD  #2
Get 1 month's supplies in case of illness or calamity and help loved ones.
Strengthen your friendship ties - and exchange more favors and advice !

SEARCH ENGINE  SUPPORT TICKETS  STORE  SPONSORS/VENDORS  AMANI

personal Ethereum gifts w/o strings attached are very welcome at:
0x9e107aC7656A4b2Fc295Ef5157f06B8E313D7aFa    Ethereum?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OnlineAsanteA
Male User Gallery

Re: Imagine... Not the song but something better. [Re: Asante]
    #27129696 - 01/06/21 07:01 AM (1 month, 23 days ago)

If you came for the song, here's a karaoke cover by a 76yo Japanese man who apparently doesn't speak English, might have had a bit too much Sake and is possibly still pissed off about losing the war:

--------------------

Offlineanatomality
Nothern Counterpart
I'm a teapot

Loc: North East
Re: Imagine... Not the song but something better. [Re: Asante]
    #27129712 - 01/06/21 07:20 AM (1 month, 23 days ago)

I voted yes. But I wanted to argue a tiny bit.
That IS what is currently happening, in all of academia. We are building on each others shoulders faster than ever, as new discoveries are always published.

Where things get kind of messy (I used to work in pharma), is when there is a patent to protect intellectual property, and to let you be the sole exploiter of said property. Or when a large company is interested in something, and BUYS it to exploit it. On one had the researchers never really have the means to bring the innovation to market, on the other, the companies are there to make profit.

These are designed to expire after 20 years in pharma, so that the world can benefit from the cheaper generic afterwards. There is a delay. And companies are very creative at finding new ways to keep their 'intellectual property'.

Legislating concepts and idea is never the way to go, but it is a necessary evil. They new to recoup the capital spent in research.

TLDR; We are using the internet to collaborate and crowdsource innovation and technology at an incredible rate.

--------------------
Check out my LAGM2021 log here.
“The strength of a person's spirit would then be measured by how much 'truth' he could tolerate, or more precisely, to what extent he needs to have it diluted, disguised, sweetened, muted, falsified.”

Edited by anatomality (01/06/21 07:22 AM)

OnlineAsanteA
Male User Gallery

Re: Imagine... Not the song but something better. [Re: anatomality]
    #27129724 - 01/06/21 07:31 AM (1 month, 23 days ago)

Its happening but it needs to happen more, I think, and patent law should be redefined to not get in the way of progress.

We're going fast but we need to go faster and faster still to draw the singularity near - we NEED to fix our shit soon or Earth will become a dystopia.

--------------------

Offlineanatomality
Nothern Counterpart
I'm a teapot

Loc: North East
Re: Imagine... Not the song but something better. [Re: Asante] * 1
    #27129737 - 01/06/21 07:43 AM (1 month, 23 days ago)

Agreed! We are doing much better though. Humanity as a whole isn't nearly as fragmented as it was. We are all understanding that we are more similar than dissimilar, and mostly have the same wants and struggles. Most language barriers are reduced, people are much more literate and informed... Collaboration ftw!
I mean, not very long ago we were all doing our very best to kill each other, in two global conflicts, I'm relatively sure that they couldn't convince us to do that again.

Unless there was a scary disease and corresponding economic global collapse :wink:

*edit* With all this new connectivity, we may be only under the illusion that things are worst. People tend to focus on the negative, as those emotions feel stronger. So with the *democratization* of information (internet), I think there's a lot more bad news. We may not have adapted yet to this much information. I hope it doesn't lead to anything bad.

--------------------
Check out my LAGM2021 log here.
“The strength of a person's spirit would then be measured by how much 'truth' he could tolerate, or more precisely, to what extent he needs to have it diluted, disguised, sweetened, muted, falsified.”

Edited by anatomality (01/06/21 07:59 AM)

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Imagine... Not the song but something better. [Re: Asante] * 1
    #27129843 - 01/06/21 09:55 AM (1 month, 22 days ago)

Sooooo much has been written and said on this already. The relationship between innovation and competition is a complex one, and there are good arguments to promote competition as well as to limit it. Same with patent law; good reasons to get rid of it or reform it drastically, and equally good reasons to keep it fairly strict. Likewise, tomes have been written about the complexity of valorization, i.e. bringing abstract knowledge to the real world. And yes, the issue of competition vs. cooperation as been pretty much beaten to death as well.

And yet, despite literally decades of investigation and experimentation by researchers, policy makers and business leaders, the silver bullet evades us. Why? well, perhaps because these paradoxes are fundamental in nature, and there IS NO silver bullet.

On the plus side - to a large extent, what you're proposing is already happening - and has been happening for centuries. As competition seems to be inherent to human nature, so is cooperation. The sustainability movement also shows a surprising (keeping in mind that it's humanity we're talking about) convergence on a single aim. It's the Manhatten project, only a million times bigger. Already. Want to speed it up more? Sure, go ahead. But I'm not convinced a lack of willingness to collaborate combined with forces of competition are the true problem here. They're part of it, but not necessarily the essence.

I'll keep it at that, I think. I've spent 15 years working in business & academia innovation management at various levels, from the nascent entrepreneurial company to national/transnational. There's such an incredible richness of information on all this readily available at your fingertips. There's quite a gap between that trove of insights and the (sorry for saying it) simplistic line of thought underlying the poll...it's good to build awareness though. Keep reading.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Community >> The Pub