Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibledrr
Female
Nicotine as a stimulant
    #27121896 - 01/02/21 11:37 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

I get that nicotine is addictive, I get that smoking tobacco is terrible for you. But as a person who gets anxiety easily, stimulants are a class of drugs that I wish I could enjoy sometimes, but I just can’t. There are times when I’d love to be able to get a caffeine buzz and get some work done. I totally get why the world uses it, in fact I do enjoy the buzz from caffeine, but the problem is, if I drink enough caffeine to get a buzz, I have a terrible anxiety ridden crash a few hours later. So I stopped caffeine. It just causes too much anxiety for me. And I won’t touch anything stronger than that.

But nicotine has always been a stimulant that worked well for me. It gives me clarity and alertness without anxiety, somehow it’s actually sort of calming at the same time. It does not cause anxiety for me, like caffeine does.

The thought just occurred to me to use nicotine gum like people use caffeine. Not regularly, but say I want to do some housework or cleaning and I could use a little pep. Why not chew a piece of nicotine gum while I work?

Part of me says no, terrible idea to get involved with nicotine again, I quit smoking cigarettes years ago and haven’t looked back. But at the same time, I have always thought it would be nice to get a nicotine buzz without destroying my lungs and heart. It’s basically the only stimulant I have ever really got along with, it’s legal and widely available, and without inhaling smoke it’s probably no more dangerous than caffeine. I’m not a compulsive person when it comes to drugs and I think I could safely use it occasionally as a stimulant and not make it a daily habit. Am I being unrealistic?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemetalfaith
Moron
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
Re: Nicotine as a stimulant [Re: drr]
    #27121905 - 01/02/21 11:43 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Have heard of some using it that way. Have wanted to try it myself, as a never-smoker, but just haven't gotten around to it.

As a previous smoker however, seems like a terrible idea.

--------------------

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

Loc: House of Mirrors
Re: Nicotine as a stimulant [Re: metalfaith] * 1
    #27121942 - 01/02/21 12:07 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Nicotine is possibly the most extensively studied cognitive enhancing drug in existence except caffeine.

It definitely improves your memory acutely if you are not a regular user.

InvisibleLynnch
Strangerer
 User Gallery

Re: Nicotine as a stimulant [Re: morrowasted]
    #27121943 - 01/02/21 12:10 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

I was under the impression that nicotine alone still causes blood pressure issues or something?

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

Re: Nicotine as a stimulant [Re: Lynnch]
    #27121984 - 01/02/21 12:25 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, it does. A lot of things that make you think more clearly increase your blood pressure somewhat.

Invisibledrr
Female
    #27122000 - 01/02/21 12:33 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

I wonder if many of the studies that have linked nicotine with heart problems have been misleading due to using smokers as the test subjects? I’m sure they account for that in testing, but it just seems as I read some of the negative stuff about nicotine that it is sort of vague when it comes to the method of consumption. I get the feeling they’re lumping cigarette smoking together with all other forms of consumption.

If a person just uses pure nicotine does it still cause as much vasoconstriction?

I don’t doubt that it has impacts on the cardiovascular system, just wondering if in a healthy non-smoker it is any worse than caffeine.

Edited by drr (01/02/21 02:04 PM)

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Re: Nicotine as a stimulant [Re: drr] * 1
    #27122159 - 01/02/21 02:00 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Its definitely a mild psycho-stimulant and does it well. Ive contemplated using nicotine patches for dream exploration. Havent done it yet.

OfflineMorphinTime
Tulpa
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Angel Grove
    #27122172 - 01/02/21 02:10 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Enough nicotine can either induce anxiety or at least provide the conditions to having it, though the episode may be brief.  Nicotine is mostly smoked or vaped, so an individual's dosage is typically subconsciously regulated by titration.

If you are considering nicotine gum, you may be already addicted.  Especially since you seem to think it will help you at work

If you've been addicted to nicotine before, you are being especially unrealistic

--------------------

Invisibledrr
Female
Re: Nicotine as a stimulant [Re: MorphinTime]
    #27122236 - 01/02/21 02:56 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

I haven’t smoked in years, so I’m not addicted to nicotine

I’m genuinely interested in the cognitive effects

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

Re: Nicotine as a stimulant [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #27122244 - 01/02/21 02:59 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:
Its definitely a mild psycho-stimulant and does it well. Ive contemplated using nicotine patches for dream exploration. Havent done it yet.

This might actually work

Unfortunately i vape nicotine constantly when not working so i dont benefit much from it. My BP is still very good though. I know a 61 year old dude at the gym who smokes like 3 packs a week and has a straight bodybuilder 5%bf physique with no hormone supplements. He must have some crazy genetics going on. Two y chromosomes or some shit. Hell probably be one of those people that has a stroke/heart attack despite being apparently very athletic though. Hope not. Love you Walt

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#27122248 - 01/02/21 03:01 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Measuring cognition is kind of pain in the ass.  There are a variety of outcome measures and its super challenging to correlate them with real world outcomes.  With that said, most of nicotine's cognitive effects are pretty mild, but if you feel it works going with gum or a vape is probably the way to go.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

InvisibleAmanita86
OTD Keymaster
 User Gallery

Loc: hades
    #27122250 - 01/02/21 03:03 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

The gum will soon not be enough of a hit.  They don’t make those things with any intention of them being successful at what they’re intended for..

--------------------
:mushroom2:Orange clock, pencil:bouncysmoke:
"They threw me off the hay truck about noon...":fishing:
:mushroom2:*Mark 15:34:levitate::mushroom2::blueninja:
Gam zeh ya’avor...:sunny:

OfflineShroomedOcean
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hbg
    #27122252 - 01/02/21 03:03 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

if smoking cigarettes causes anxietyy it could be a mind or brain function maybe.  smoking weed to drain those cigarettes can be risky at times...

Invisibledrr
Female
Re: Nicotine as a stimulant [Re: Amanita86]
    #27122263 - 01/02/21 03:08 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Amanita86 said:
The gum will soon not be enough of a hit.  They don’t make those things with any intention of them being successful at what they’re intended for..

That’s assuming I start taking it regularly though. I’m talking about occasional use. I have no intention of starting a daily habit. More like, I’m going to do some yard work today, I’ll chew a piece of nicotine gum for a boost. Or, I’m about to fall asleep at the wheel and I’ve got two more hours to drive. That sort of thing. I can see that it’s a slippery slope though.

InvisiblefeeversM
Male

Loc: Flag
    #27122380 - 01/02/21 04:13 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

If you have great self control it’d work. I used to use dip to get stuff done or for boosts when working overnights. Of course it feels great so I started using it to have fun, then out of boredom, etc. Once I started using it regularly the benefits got way less and were overshadowed by the foggyness and anxiety/depression/crankiness when the cravings kicked in a few hours after each dose.

I’m the same way with caffeine, it feels like my body just doesn’t process it right. I feel great for an hour or so then I’m barely human for the rest of day, super tired with a dissociated anxiety. I’ve given up on stimulants entirely, even recreationally the crash from them is too much for it to be worth it for me at this point

OfflineSeriously_trippin
Cosmic Guru Ganesh
Male User Gallery

Re: Nicotine as a stimulant [Re: feevers]
    #27122468 - 01/02/21 05:02 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

If you can't afford it, the anxiety of not having it seems worse then quitting tbh. I get it though man, anxiety management is hard. When they changed my meds in 2017 I felt like I had to smoke. Now I do something that limits use by taking unfiltered American spirits and putting up to a half cig in a pipe to ration and give me something to smoke for the calming ritual effect.

--------------------
R.I.P
Zombi3, Blue Helix
Modest Mouse
Zappa
Slothie
That Kid With The face
ShLong
Le Canard
split_by_nine
& Big Worm Forever
Etched in the sands of time in the shroomery and ever so beloved and deeply missed by many :heart:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains