Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefoofoomagooo
Stranger
 User Gallery

Odd monotub
    #27120781 - 01/01/21 07:09 PM (1 month, 23 days ago)

Heyo!

Thought I would share some monotub pictures as I've not seen anything quite like this in my reading here. If anyone has thoughts, I'd love to hear them - I'm assuming that given how this is looking that it's a lost cause :smile: Here is my abbreviated log
  • Reddit acquired spores to agar
  • Initial agar wasn't a mess, but did a transfer to new agar and it grew out cleanly
  • Made LC from PC'd wheat berry soak water. Used the "clean" agar result
  • "Proofed" LC on agar - again looked good
  • Inoculated 8 quarts of cooked and sterilized wheat berries
  • Added colonized wheat to coir / verm using bucket tek pasteurization

Currently, the odor is mushroom only - it's not as strong as I would expect. Clearly, the color is not that slightly offwhite mycelium I've been expecting.

I wonder if this is cube at all. This is my third failed monotub so I'm going to start fresh with  by-the-book shoebox tek - I've deviated a bit trying to solve for things in previous attempts. Doing a series of monotubs that failed for various reasons isn't let me refine my skills enough between attempts, so smaller size should allow for some more practice.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Re: Odd monotub [Re: foofoomagooo]
    #27120863 - 01/01/21 08:04 PM (1 month, 23 days ago)

Next time get spores from a real trusted vendor and share your plate work here. Usually cultures are transfered ~3 times before being used to inoculate. Instead of relying on the LC, you can use the clean agar culture for jars and add a small piece of it to an lc.

For the tub, it's myc like but looks strange to me. I can only suggest you open up your fae a bit and see what happens.

Offlinefoofoomagooo
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Odd monotub [Re: LtLurker]
    #27120920 - 01/01/21 08:34 PM (1 month, 23 days ago)

For sure I'm going to get some vetted spores, no fun wondering about it after investing the time.

I'll post an update when some time elapses with this tub post FAE, I thought it was pretty neat looking, if a bit disappointing.

Appreciate the guidance very much! After reading and reading it's fun to actually discuss it :smile:

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
    #27120927 - 01/01/21 08:36 PM (1 month, 23 days ago)

Hell yea man. Welcome to the shroomery.

OfflineKyngwhatt
presbyter
Other

Loc: The pharcyde Flag
    #27121109 - 01/01/21 10:34 PM (1 month, 23 days ago)

take more pictures later if ya can. i've never seen that before:confused:

--------------------

Whatt

Invisiblecoversall
إِنْ شَاءَ ٱللَهُ‎

Loc: संसार
Re: Odd monotub [Re: Kyngwhatt]
    #27121657 - 01/02/21 09:42 AM (1 month, 22 days ago)

Is me or the photos, but there looks like _a lot_ of verm in that sub?

--------------------

..:: B E H E R E N O W ::..

..:: New? Lost? Click here! ::..
..:: Grow logs and other rubbish ::..

Offlinefoofoomagooo
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Odd monotub [Re: coversall]
    #27121710 - 01/02/21 10:37 AM (1 month, 22 days ago)

Quote:

Is me or the photos, but there looks like _a lot_ of verm in that sub?

You are correct, I was trying to moderate humidity a bit more than usual, it's a very cold/dry time here. Perhaps a flawed idea :smile:

Invisiblecoversall
إِنْ شَاءَ ٱللَهُ‎

#27121759 - 01/02/21 11:39 AM (1 month, 22 days ago)

Yeah I think trying to expriment is best saved for once you've got the harvests coming sustainably.

Have a look at good old fashioned multi spore syringe -> pf jars -> coir shoebox. It's simple and can produce great results. Feel free to tell me to sod off as I have no idea what sort of experience you have but if you are newer to mushcult then LCs might be a bit ambitious.

I got great comfort from making more, small brf jars that were split between multiple smaller shoeboxes, less eggs in more baskets if you see what I mean.

--------------------

Offlinefoofoomagooo
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Odd monotub [Re: coversall] * 1
    #27121805 - 01/02/21 12:27 PM (1 month, 22 days ago)

Totally! The technique around monotubs is simple and seemingly foolproof. However, since I have had a few failed attempts at it, I am going back to smaller batch shoebox sized runs. You are right that I'd rather have a small success to spur me on, rather than a massive, visually epic flush :smile:

I'm pretty sure I was propagating a mold early on but I tell ya, my SAB technique and agar work resulted in some really uniform and healthy mold!

It's all learning and I very much appreciate you weighing in!

Invisiblecoversall
إِنْ شَاءَ ٱللَهُ‎

#27121814 - 01/02/21 12:37 PM (1 month, 22 days ago)

Quote:

foofoomagooo said:
Totally! The technique around monotubs is simple and seemingly foolproof. However, since I have had a few failed attempts at it, I am going back to smaller batch shoebox sized runs. You are right that I'd rather have a small success to spur me on, rather than a massive, visually epic flush :smile:

I'm pretty sure I was propagating a mold early on but I tell ya, my SAB technique and agar work resulted in some really uniform and healthy mold!

It's all learning and I very much appreciate you weighing in!

LC is dicey as it's so hard to tell if there's something lurking in the broth. you could easily contam it during the testing process etc. I've just yoloed the LCs I've made. A couple of times I dropped a bit onto agar at the same time as inoculating jars so I have an early warning system. If the plates went wrong then I'd just toss the grows.

Definitely run through some more fool proof teks just enjoy producing fruit, then when you've got a nice stash dried and stored away mess around with some other teks. Again all assumptions so feel free to tell me where to go! I've found having jars full of nicely dried mushrooms gave me the confidence and space needed to enjoy the failures that comes with trying something new. All part of learning, it's just easier to learn if you've already got mushrooms!

:carlton:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started