Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
InvisibleAllium
Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: Ps.NoName]
    #27180425 - 02/01/21 07:24 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Ps.NoName said:
Using leaves and chicken wire fence so they don't blow away to protect a transplant area over the winter. Did not fruit last year but think i am in a lot better shape this year. Took a look today and it's active some even though it has been cold a few months.

looks like I see some fruits in that towards the bottom right hand.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePs.NoName
Psilocybe Anonymous
 User Gallery

Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: Allium]
    #27180992 - 02/01/21 12:58 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Allium said:
Quote:

Ps.NoName said:
Using leaves and chicken wire fence so they don't blow away to protect a transplant area over the winter. Did not fruit last year but think i am in a lot better shape this year. Took a look today and it's active some even though it has been cold a few months.

looks like I see some fruits in that towards the bottom right hand.

I remember seeing that when I took the picture.  The patch is under a box elder tree and I think it was from birds dropping or crapping out some pieces of berries.  I would double check again but it is under quite a bit of snow.

--------------------
Set me off, see what I'm worth. Turn me on, I go berserk.

InvisibleAllium
Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: Ps.NoName]
    #27181000 - 02/01/21 01:02 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

oh, ok, even if they were pins, they would be toast by now, no wait, a Popsicle :grin:

Invisibledizzy_simmons
Detective
Other

Loc: Interzone
Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: Allium] * 1
    #27192565 - 02/07/21 08:26 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

It seems like all the “perfect” ovoid habitats I find have fallen & dead standing box elder trees that are booming with wood ears & dryads.

Does anyone find those at their spots?

Are dryads & wood ears good indicator species, or do they outcompete ovoids?

--------------------
UNDO YOUR DOMESTICATION

Looking for:
***The Land of the Free***

Ps. caerulipes  Ps. cubensis  Ps. cyanescens  Ps. ovoideocystidiata  Pan. cinctulus  Pan. cyanescens

Invisibleavidpicker
funnycolorsinmymushrooms
 User Gallery

Loc: Mushroom Mountain
Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: dizzy_simmons]
    #27192746 - 02/07/21 10:53 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

dizzy_simmons said:
It seems like all the “perfect” ovoid habitats I find have fallen & dead standing box elder trees that are booming with wood ears & dryads.

When I see the dryad's I know the ovoids are close to fruiting in the early spring. Dryad's usually don't compete with ovoids and are highly outnumbered.

--------------------

InvisibleLeafRaker
nomad
 User Gallery

Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: avidpicker]
    #27193128 - 02/08/21 06:37 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

avidpicker said:
Quote:

dizzy_simmons said:

When I see the dryad's I know the ovoids are close to fruiting in the early spring. Dryad's usually don't compete with ovoids and are highly outnumbered.

I find all three species of fungi (dryads, wood ears, and ovoids) in the same areas with lots of box elders. But IME, ovoids are always the hardest to spot.

This reminds me I need to figure out wood ear foraging. Spending too much $$$ these days for the desiccated ones at the Chinese market.

--------------------
Knowledge is finite, ignorance is infinite.

Invisibledizzy_simmons
Detective
Other

Loc: Interzone
Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: LeafRaker]
    #27193227 - 02/08/21 08:10 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

avidpicker said:

Quote:

LeafRaker said:
I find all three species of fungi (dryads, wood ears, and ovoids) in the same areas with lots of box elders. But IME, ovoids are always the hardest to spot.

This reminds me I need to figure out wood ear foraging. Spending too much $$$ these days for the desiccated ones at the Chinese market.

Awesome new, guys! Thanks a lot.

@LeafRaker: Sounds like you've already figured out wood ear foraging. Keep checking the box elders. I saw some fresh ones in the snow yesterday.

--------------------
UNDO YOUR DOMESTICATION

Looking for:
***The Land of the Free***

Ps. caerulipes  Ps. cubensis  Ps. cyanescens  Ps. ovoideocystidiata  Pan. cinctulus  Pan. cyanescens

OfflineShroomhunts
Hunter Gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: PA
Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: dizzy_simmons]
    #27193243 - 02/08/21 08:25 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Idk if I live in ovoid heaven but in the spring I can find them around every stream and river in the entire western part of PA. anywhere with trees, decaying wood, mulch, or moving water.

The guide I wrote includes indicative plant species, however I will soon update with pics of indicator mushrooms and deadly lookalikes.

--------------------

You never kno

Edited by Shroomhunts (02/08/21 08:29 AM)

Invisibleavidpicker
funnycolorsinmymushrooms
 User Gallery

Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: Shroomhunts]
    #27193302 - 02/08/21 09:14 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Shroom hunts said:
Idk if I live in ovoid heaven but in the spring I can find them around every stream and river in the entire western part of PA. anywhere with trees, decaying wood, mulch, or moving water.

The guide I wrote includes indicative plant species, however I will soon update with pics of indicator mushrooms and deadly lookalikes.

We're in the same area shroomhunts, definitely an ovoid heaven. When I first started hunting years ago I couldn't find them for like 2 years.And like you said,now I find them everywhere I look even when I'm not particularly looking for them. I guess it comes down to training your eyes to recognize the characteristics of ovoids and they just pop out easily.

--------------------

Invisibleevlyshrooms
willi weilii
Male User Gallery

#27193418 - 02/08/21 10:17 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Can't wait for season to swing around. Since getting their ideal habitat nailed down, been searching around and got a number of different spots marked now to check when it starts to warm up. Finds down here are still kind of sparse, but i think it's more so for a lack of looking. Looking to pull some shroomhunt hauls :cool:

--------------------

InvisibleLeafRaker
nomad
 User Gallery

#27193532 - 02/08/21 11:15 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

avidpicker said:
Quote:

Shroom hunts said:

We're in the same area shroomhunts, definitely an ovoid heaven. When I first started hunting years ago I couldn't find them for like 2 years.And like you said,now I find them everywhere I look even when I'm not particularly looking for them. I guess it comes down to training your eyes to recognize the characteristics of ovoids and they just pop out easily.

I actually think you guys might actually be in ovoid heaven! It sounds like both sides of mountains near the Gulf of Mexico/Chesapeake drainage divide might be ground zero for ovoids. Seeing that university student's post about bioinformatics projects makes me want to see an ovoid family tree, both considering their geographic dispersion and their phenotypic variation.

Looking forward to spring and an updated hunting guide! :thumbup:

--------------------

Edited by LeafRaker (02/16/21 06:49 AM)

OfflineShroomhunts
Hunter Gatherer
Male User Gallery

Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: LeafRaker] * 1
    #27195046 - 02/09/21 08:43 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Those pans in your profile pic look tasty man have to say I'm jealous!

--------------------

You never kno

InvisibleLeafRaker
nomad
 User Gallery

#27196854 - 02/10/21 06:41 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomhunts said:

You might be even more jealous when I tell you they were one of three flushes...on my own lawn! It definitely felt like the mushrooms finding me!

LawnCincts???

--------------------

OfflineRenegadeMycologist
On the case
Male User Gallery

Loc: Serbia Flag
Trusted Identifier
    #27196878 - 02/10/21 07:01 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

LeafRaker said:
Quote:

Shroomhunts said:

You might be even more jealous when I tell you they were one of three flushes...on my own lawn! It definitely felt like the mushrooms finding me!

LawnCincts???

Was that grass fertilized at any point ?

No animals i suppose..?

--------------------
:mushroom2:  l e a r n i n g  t h i n g s :mushroom2:

InvisibleLeafRaker
nomad
 User Gallery

Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: RenegadeMycologist]
    #27196886 - 02/10/21 07:10 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Compost added the fall before...Cincts are a May species in my part of the world. And the rabbits, whose populations were absolutely booming in those years, loved to leave their little piles near there. There's also a lot of horses nearby.

I've moved again and have no lawn for now. I do wonder about using horse manure with leaf compost with a lawn if I ever get one again and seeing if the cincts can become permanent fixtures.

--------------------

OfflineShroomhunts
Hunter Gatherer
Male User Gallery

#27198678 - 02/11/21 05:59 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

If you spread horse manure in your lawn you will 100% see some pans pop up, whether or not they are the active kind is up to luck

--------------------

You never kno

OfflineDubSpore
Busy being human
 User Gallery

Loc: Ohio
    #27199375 - 02/11/21 01:12 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Only a couple more months.

--------------------

InvisibleAllium
Re: East coast 2021 ovoideocystidiata thread [Re: DubSpore] * 1
    #27207509 - 02/15/21 01:51 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

It paid to bring that substrate home fellas :awesomenod:

Edited by Allium (02/15/21 01:54 PM)

Invisibleavidpicker
funnycolorsinmymushrooms
 User Gallery

#27207527 - 02/15/21 01:58 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

LeafRaker said:
Quote:

avidpicker said:
Quote:

Shroom hunts said:

I actually think you guys might actually be ovoid heaven! It sounds like both sides of mountains near the Gulf of Mexico/Chesapeake drainage divide might be ground zero for ovoids. Seeing that university student's post about bioinformatics projects makes me want to see an ovoid family tree, both considering their geographic dispersion and their phenotypic variation.
:thumbup:

I've been waiting for a family tree to be done if possible. Too many variations.

--------------------

OfflineShroomhunts
Hunter Gatherer
Male User Gallery

#27210318 - 02/17/21 12:22 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Yes it is very possible that what we call ovoids are actually multiple species that share similar habitat and attributes. The variance in these mushrooms is unrivaled by any other species I have observed. Obviously things like substrate and environmental conditions can cause the appearance of a mushroom to change but it seems like more than that with ovoids.
I recently made a collection of what alan says is a newly documented species in PA. I just thought they were funky ovoids but he thinks they may be something new. The same species was found in Florida far past the previously recorded range of ovoids

Here is link if you are interested
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23099861/fpart/5/vc/1#23099861

--------------------

You never kno

Edited by Shroomhunts (02/17/21 12:24 AM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder