Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Hot Plate, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Terrence McKenna, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineout_of_step
Stranger
Novice mushroom grower about to start on the adventure! Got some silly questions..... * 1
    #27120593 - 01/01/21 05:07 PM (5 months, 9 days ago)

Hi everyone

New to the site and it's quite overwhelming. I've been on and off the forum over the past few months looking for information but figured it'd be easier if I just put a new post and read the replies to it.

I'm venturing into the world of amateur mycology and need some questions answered.

I want to grow some mushrooms and I'm going to use the PF Tek method to get it started.

1. I've got medium grade and fine grade vermiculite. Which is best or should I just mix it all together?

2. I bought some empty jam jars from Wilko in the UK. I've since seen that ones without a "shoulder" would be better in order to get the cakes out. However these are more expensive and you don't get as many. Will normal jam jars do? Does it really matter or will any glass receptable do as long as it can withstand the heat of sterilisation and I can cover it with tin foil? (I'm trying to reduce, reuse and recycle as much as possible so thinking of returning these back to the shop and just using any jars I've got lying around)

3. Do I really need a pressure cooker? I've seen a cheap second-hand one but not sure about it......(I'm a bit scared of using one!)

4. I initially read micropore tape as one of the supplies but haven't seen it since. Do I need it to cover the holes once injected? (Do the holes need covering over once the pots have been injected?)

5. Really daft question but instead of using individually wrapped alcohol wipes, can I use 70% alcohol hand gel for cleaning over the drilled holes in the lids if I used a clean cloth / paper roll?

Fruting chamber....I'm looking into doing a SGFC but wondering what size to box to go for (room to grow vs humidity levels...) I have some leftover plastic mushroom grow bags from kits I've bought online and was wondering if I could just use these instead. I dont want to be growing tonnes of mushrooms.

Can I fruit the mushrooms in the jam jars?

If I were to do a SGFC, is it OK to keep the fruting chamber in one side of a room with natural day light (I can't put them right next to a window as all our radiators are under the windows and it'd get too hot)

I'm sure there's other questions I will have. Please don't confuse me with saying other methods are better! It's taken me ages to get my head around all the methods, teks and jargon and this is how I've chosen to start :-)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleJim Nemo
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: Novice mushroom grower about to start on the adventure! Got some silly questions..... [Re: out_of_step]
    #27120764 - 01/01/21 06:58 PM (5 months, 9 days ago)

peace!
i'm not into pf tec, but i try my best to clear out at least some of your questions and give some input.
no pressure to follow any of my sayings, do what you think will work.

Quote:

out_of_step said:
2. I bought some empty jam jars from Wilko in the UK. I've since seen that ones without a "shoulder" would be better in order to get the cakes out. However these are more expensive and you don't get as many. Will normal jam jars do? Does it really matter or will any glass receptable do as long as it can withstand the heat of sterilisation and I can cover it with tin foil? (I'm trying to reduce, reuse and recycle as much as possible so thinking of returning these back to the shop and just using any jars I've got lying around)

well... i can't think of any way a cake will go out of a jar with shoulder.
so for pf tec the answer is: no, jam jars won't do. but for casing/shoebox they work fine. just saying.

and for the recycling/reusing - no problem, the jars will last forever, only the lids will need to be replaced once in a while, but not often.

Quote:

out_of_step said:
3. Do I really need a pressure cooker? I've seen a cheap second-hand one but not sure about it......(I'm a bit scared of using one!)

hell yes! :smile:
don't go second hand, because there may be something wrong with some parts. in the beginning i used a second hand pc - and when i replaced it i learned that the big rubber seal is not supposed to be yellowish, but grey. :/

pressure cookers are good for lots of other things, preparing beans and sterilizing jars with food in it.
so it's worth the investment!

and don't be scared, they are simple to use and when you use it the first time, stay in the kitchen and do the babysitter. five usages later you just set a timer and go for groceries without second thought, no doubt :wink:

Quote:

out_of_step said:
4. I initially read micropore tape as one of the supplies but haven't seen it since. Do I need it to cover the holes once injected? (Do the holes need covering over once the pots have been injected?)

micropore tape seems to work out perfect for lots of people in the hobby, but why not use polyfil - it's pretty cheap, one pack will last forever(like literally) and it works perfect as well.

if you work without a laminar hood, better cover the lids with tinfoil(aluminum foil). remove them right before inoculation and then leave them off the lids, the mycelium needs the bit of breating.

Quote:

out_of_step said:
5. Really daft question but instead of using individually wrapped alcohol wipes, can I use 70% alcohol hand gel for cleaning over the drilled holes in the lids if I used a clean cloth / paper roll?

in my country you can just go to a pharmacy and buy a liter of isopropanol 70 for like 8 bucks. buy a little 100ml bottle made of glass and a spray head/lid. done. that's simple, cheap and works perfect.

Quote:

out_of_step said:
Fruting chamber....I'm looking into doing a SGFC but wondering what size to box to go for (room to grow vs humidity levels...) I have some leftover plastic mushroom grow bags from kits I've bought online and was wondering if I could just use these instead. I dont want to be growing tonnes of mushrooms.

Can I fruit the mushrooms in the jam jars?

If I were to do a SGFC, is it OK to keep the fruting chamber in one side of a room with natural day light (I can't put them right next to a window as all our radiators are under the windows and it'd get too hot)

again i can only say what works fine for me: just use any form of plastic container(like these shoeboxes), drill some holes, fill them with polyfil/put some micropore-tape on the holes. done. some holes higher, some lower for cross ventilation.

leave the idea of fruiting only in the jam jars. other thing would be if you put the opened jam jar in a plastic container. that'll work. in a germanic speaking community a member named zardoz sucessfully used that method and even named it "simple tek". unfortunately the community message board is offline so i can't give you a link.
just wrap the jars in tinfoil(aluminum foil) to prevent at least a bit of shrooms growing to the side of the jar. the opening needs to be open and not wrapped of course.

Quote:

out_of_step said:
I'm sure there's other questions I will have. Please don't confuse me with saying other methods are better! It's taken me ages to get my head around all the methods, teks and jargon and this is how I've chosen to start :-)

it'll work out fine! if you have questions, just go ahead, if we can, we will help!
i hope i didn't confuse you too much :wink:
and sorry about that vermiculite question, i have no idea - i don't use it.

cheers,
jim

--------------------
When the acid trip is over, you gotta come back to mother blues...

Invisiblestubb
Dahg Rastubfari
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Memory Flag
Re: Novice mushroom grower about to start on the adventure! Got some silly questions..... [Re: out_of_step]
    #27120777 - 01/01/21 07:07 PM (5 months, 9 days ago)

0. Check out this modern, comprehensive pf tek:  https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24179086

1. I'm no PF expert, most seem to say verm grade doesn't matter, but preference seems to go to fine grade.

2. Birthing the cakes from tapered jars intact is definitely problematic, you'll want wide mouth jars. The tek above also links to an alternative container method, if it helps.

3. No, you don't need a pressure cooker for pf.  The tek above doesn't use a pressure cooker.

4. No, you don't need micropore tape.  This is what the dry verm layer is for, the tek above just leaves the holes uncovered.

5. I have no idea. 

6. There's lots of suggestions for fruiting chambers in the tek above.  Size you need depends on how many cakes you're making. 

7. Yes.  It's called 'top fruiting'.

8. Yes, they don't need to be in the dark. 

9. Welcome to the shroomery.

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Re: Novice mushroom grower about to start on the adventure! Got some silly questions..... [Re: stubb]
    #27120876 - 01/01/21 08:11 PM (5 months, 9 days ago)

Fine verm is best.

MP tape is superfluous imo. I've done cakes weekly for a couple years and a dry verm layer is all you really need. I've often seen stalled jars posted here because the tape and verm were restricting too much air.

There's multiple ways to fruit cakes. Mateah's humidity chamber save's you making holes, you can top fruit straight from a jar, or you can just shred cakes to bulk in a shoebox.

Fruiting away from a window is fine. They want indirect sunlight anyway.

OfflineKyngwhatt
presbyter
Other

Loc: The pharcyde Flag
    #27121098 - 01/01/21 10:28 PM (5 months, 9 days ago)

1. both work
2. you need to get the cake out so no shoulders. I’ve seem people use coffee cups with foil secured to it as a lid. But it’s nice if its clear so you can see what is going on.
3.people say you can use a normal pot with a tight fitting lid and something to hold it down, but I think they are non negotiable. I have a PC I bought from good will, I replaced the gasket and it works great. Make sure everything on it seems to function you’ll be fine. They arent that dangerous they have a over pressure valve that will blow and release all the pressure if something goes wrong, you just want that pointing away from you in case it does need to vent it wont vent into your body.
4.the dry layer of verm you put in the jar is your filter and you don’t need to tape it
5. I use a roll of the cheapest toilet paper and a bottle of 70% iso
6 yes you can use bags as a fruiting chamber for individual cakes but I think it requires a little more attention.
7”can I fruit from the jam jars” that is the old school way mckenna showed us how to do it. And if you intend to do it that way you can use the jars with the shoulders because you aren’t going to take the cake out to fruit it. I think you’ll get less product that way but you might not care.
8. yes that’s what you are going for ambient light not direct sunlight.
Good luck friend come back and show us what you’ve come up with.

--------------------

Whatt

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Re: Novice mushroom grower about to start on the adventure! Got some silly questions..... [Re: Kyngwhatt]
    #27121118 - 01/01/21 10:40 PM (5 months, 9 days ago)

Top fruiting works fine. Only real downside is cutting out cakes if you get side pins. For cake yield it seems about the same to me if you get the surface conditions right. Bulking it out with coir to a shoe box seems to do a little better than individual cakes ime.
some top fruits

an early 4 cake shoebox

Offlineout_of_step
Stranger
    #27281109 - 04/25/21 07:15 AM (1 month, 19 days ago)

I have prepared and sterilised my jars. Now I'm onto the inoculation stage. So I've got some questions...

Do the inoculated jars need to be kept in the dark? I have read you do but then some personal accounts of people leaving them in a shelf in a room. I was thinking of on top of the airing cupboard so not in the dark.

I've got 3 layers of tin foil. I took to take the top layer off for inoculation. I've replaced the top layer of foil to cover the holes. Do I leave injection holes covered or uncovered?

I'm either going to top fruit straight out of the jars or use a shoebox or two. If I use shoebox method, I've read of different substrates to use in the bottom. I'm not sure which is the best to use.

I'm going to have more questions once I get onto the next stage.

This is my first time like I said in the original post so I would appreciate any help to what might be daft questions.

Thank you to people who replied to my original post. It's taken me a while to get started but I have eventually done it. Apologies I haven't replied directly, sometimes life gets in the way.

Edited by out_of_step (04/25/21 09:41 AM)

Offlinelordoflowend
A friendly Stranger
I'm a teapot

Loc: Flag
Re: Novice mushroom grower about to start on the adventure! Got some silly questions..... [Re: out_of_step] * 1
    #27281461 - 04/25/21 01:43 PM (1 month, 19 days ago)

Dude go on you tube and watch everything from your boi  the Philly golden teacher you'll be set

InvisibleRoadAppleSnapple
Learning.

Re: Novice mushroom grower about to start on the adventure! Got some silly questions..... [Re: lordoflowend]
    #27281612 - 04/25/21 04:36 PM (1 month, 19 days ago)

Heck yeah, you're on your way!

I'm new too, but I can offer some help, though I'll defer to the more experienced.

Jars are fine in the light, plus it's fun to watch them colonize. That said, a sunny window where they would get hot would be not so great.

Can't help with the tinfoil question as I've not done that particular tek.

If you go with a shoebox (a great choice), you'll want to use coco coir as the substrate you mix your spawn with. Save a thin layer for the top. 1spawn:1coco or 1:2 are common ratios, but do a bit of research.

I would trust growers here over the youtube guy mentioned above... personal opinion, I'm sure he's a cool cat and all.

Hoping you have a rockin grow!:rockon:

Offlineout_of_step
Stranger
Re: Novice mushroom grower about to start on the adventure! Got some silly questions..... [Re: lordoflowend]
    #27283975 - 04/27/21 04:31 PM (1 month, 17 days ago)

Thank you! I had a little look.  There's just so much information out there

Offlineout_of_step
Stranger
Re: Novice mushroom grower about to start on the adventure! Got some silly questions..... [Re: RoadAppleSnapple]
    #27283980 - 04/27/21 04:34 PM (1 month, 17 days ago)

Thank you! What tek are you using?
Well for now, they're on top of the airing cupboard out of the way of the window but not in the dark. Im keeping the tin foil lids on over the holes. Fingers crossed. I'll be happy if I just get one!

Yep I was thinking of coir. Need to do more research first tho.

OfflineSub-Easy
slowly dying since birth
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA NC Flag
    #27284137 - 04/27/21 07:36 PM (1 month, 17 days ago)

For a person that doesn't plan on going all out it should be simple. Keep it simple 😄. The jars need air, so don't seal them. Pollyfill, like the kind in stuffed animals, should be packed in the lid holes and SGFC pretty tight, but I guess they are saying to cover the top with vermiculite. MP or tyvek is good. It's about contamination. The air is filled with millions of contaminates, so it's best not to open any jars after they are sterilized. Try to keep them on the cooler side. 72-77. That will discourage contaminates from growing. When it's time to fruit they should be strong enough to fight off most contamination. SGFC is good for giving air. They don't need much during colonization, but the fruit will need as much as it can get and still have a humide microclimate. Light can be minimal and it's okay at any stage of growing.

The hobby is fun for a lot of people because of all the research, but if you just want to get started (and that's the best way to learn) then there are some simple ways to do it. Try neglect tek, or truffles. Easy. Once you have success, you will probably start trying more involved methods. But your off to a good start. Roger rabbit (RR) and Willy myco have great advice. It's hard to go wrong as long as you know how to avoid contamination. And if you learn nothing else, you will find out the true magic of mushrooms..... they teach you patience!

Offlineout_of_step
Stranger
Re: Novice mushroom grower about to start on the adventure! Got some silly questions..... [Re: Sub-Easy]
    #27291435 - 05/03/21 06:39 AM (1 month, 11 days ago)

I'm keeping it simple,  yes! Ive kept the intact tin foil over the tin foil lids with holes in. I'll see what happens.
Definitely about the interest of it...results are a bonus. I'm not in any rush..it's more the enjoyment of a new hobby.

OfflineScientificAnalysis
Stranger
    #27291450 - 05/03/21 07:06 AM (1 month, 11 days ago)

i reccomend medical micropore tape. the micropore tape allows gas exchange while blocking some particulates which could carry contams.

Offlinebarfly
Stranger

#27291938 - 05/03/21 01:56 PM (1 month, 11 days ago)

Quote:

out_of_step said:
I'm keeping it simple,  yes! Ive kept the intact tin foil over the tin foil lids with holes in. I'll see what happens.
Definitely about the interest of it...results are a bonus. I'm not in any rush..it's more the enjoyment of a new hobby.

Hi :smile: nice to see another beginner struggling along. Don't worry, you'll manage fine and people here are very friendly and helpful. Even I've managed to grow a few odd shrooms by now.

If you don't mind my asking, I did not really understand what you meant when talking about tin foils over tin foils? What axactly are you doing? Which tek are you following?

Oh, and definitely get a pc. Even if you don't neccessarily require one, I'd get and use one just for peace of mind. Plus, a pc is great for normal cooking, too :wink:

Offlineout_of_step
Stranger
Re: Novice mushroom grower about to start on the adventure! Got some silly questions..... [Re: barfly]
    #27293920 - 05/04/21 02:21 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

Hi Barfly! Nice to hear from another newbie! I'm using PF tek what about you?
Re tin foils....
I'm using tin foil instead of lids with drilled holes.
So on top of my jar I've got two layers of tin foil which were pierced and then another piece of tin foil over the top to cover the holes.
This is the only bit I'm not sure on at this stage. I suppose if I'd used real lids, I wouldn't then cover over the drilled holes with anything...perhaps I should take the top layer of foil off.
I've got a layer of vermiculite there...but some of the holes were bigger than expected when I did the first injections as I ripped thr foil a bit. So I'm not sure if I should leave holes open or cover.
I have got a bit of action in two jars and its only been a week. I might carry on and see what develops.

Offlinebarfly
Stranger

#27293975 - 05/04/21 03:05 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

Quote:

out_of_step said:
Hi Barfly! Nice to hear from another newbie! I'm using PF tek what about you?
Re tin foils....
I'm using tin foil instead of lids with drilled holes.
So on top of my jar I've got two layers of tin foil which were pierced and then another piece of tin foil over the top to cover the holes.
This is the only bit I'm not sure on at this stage. I suppose if I'd used real lids, I wouldn't then cover over the drilled holes with anything...perhaps I should take the top layer of foil off.
I've got a layer of vermiculite there...but some of the holes were bigger than expected when I did the first injections as I ripped thr foil a bit. So I'm not sure if I should leave holes open or cover.
I have got a bit of action in two jars and its only been a week. I might carry on and see what develops.

Interesting. So you have no lids at all over your cakes?

I've been doing pf tek myself. Just birthed four cakes a week and a half ago; one of which is already looking like this:

I put tin foil on top of my lids when im pcing the jars. But other than that I just drill a hole in the lid, cover it with medical tape (microtape, somethingplast, stuff like that) and leave it at that. And my holes vary in size, depending on whatever was at hand to drill/puncture them at the moment :laugh:

Like this:

I rarely even bother to cover it with a second layer of tape after I inject them :laugh:

Offlineout_of_step
Stranger
Re: Novice mushroom grower about to start on the adventure! Got some silly questions..... [Re: barfly]
    #27294117 - 05/04/21 04:33 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

No lids, just foil. I didn't wanna put holes in jars I might want to use for other purposes.
I'm gonna take the extra foil "lid" off two jars and see what happens.  I might be restricting air flow a bit with it on.
Your cake looks good!  What have you got in the bottom of your box as substrate? Is that your first attempt? Are you addicted to growing mushrooms yet?!

Offlinebarfly
Stranger

#27294186 - 05/04/21 05:25 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

Quote:

out_of_step said:
No lids, just foil. I didn't wanna put holes in jars I might want to use for other purposes.
I'm gonna take the extra foil "lid" off two jars and see what happens.  I might be restricting air flow a bit with it on.
Your cake looks good!  What have you got in the bottom of your box as substrate? Is that your first attempt? Are you addicted to growing mushrooms yet?!

Yes, it's my first grow - apart from fucking up a growkit or two.

That's perlite. It's a shotgun fruiting chamber. Though I'll probably transfer the cakes into a humidity chamber and stop bothering with SGFCs in future.

I'ver also spawned two BRF cakes to coir and am expecting results soon.

OfflineBakedbeings
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27294369 - 05/04/21 07:16 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

1. fine grade verm is better

2. you need a jar without a shoulder so you can get the cake out without destroying it. however, some people like to destroy their cakes and mix them up with coco coir. search "spawning cakes to bulk"

3. you absolutely need a pressure cooker. trying to get around it will only waste your time.

4. the top layer of verm is there to protect from contams but a piece of tape is an added layer of protection. you can use micropore tape or even regular tape, as colonization doesnt require much o2

5. i use 70% iso (not gel) and paper towels. idk if gel would work.

6. the SGFC sucks please dont build one. look up "humidity chamber" or "water tub" teks

7. you can fruit the cakes in jars. its called "in vitro" or "hippie tek" or "neglect tek".

8. light isnt a big deal. if you can see them, they have enough.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Hot Plate, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Terrence McKenna, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started