Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Malt Extract

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinestargazers
Stranger
hello newbie question here about where to start with mycology
    #27116954 - 12/30/20 09:29 PM (2 months, 3 hours ago)

Is the updated PF tek the best way to start growing or should i be going for a more bulk substrate method? or hell should just start with agar? but i do have all the supplies in my house for bulk substrate or pf tek.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblebigfootscreepyuncl
Stranger

Loc: Gamehenge
Re: hello newbie question here about where to start with mycology [Re: stargazers]
    #27116984 - 12/30/20 09:49 PM (2 months, 3 hours ago)

Hello and welcome to the shroomery! You have to answer a lot of those questions yourself.

The PF TEK is tried and true, doesn't require many special pieces of equipment but the yields are smaller. But, you can grow bulk with it. Basically, what are your growing needs? Is this just for you to much here and there or are you trying to feed the masses?

Also, I do want to mention to you that DOING AGAR IS FUCKING EASY! There is no reason to start any other way.

Read through all of these TEKs, which are also tried and true. The link I inserted is from Bods 'Easy As Fuck' lineup, which are actually easy as fuck. Cheers, mate!

--------------------
Bigfoots LAGM21

InvisibleShroomysamba

Re: hello newbie question here about where to start with mycology [Re: bigfootscreepyuncl]
    #27117008 - 12/30/20 10:05 PM (2 months, 3 hours ago)

Yeah I love agar I would start there and get some clean grain spawn then fruit out some shoeboxes welcome to the shroomery mush luv :heart:

OfflineCocaineBuffet
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: hello newbie question here about where to start with mycology [Re: Shroomysamba]
    #27117074 - 12/30/20 10:43 PM (2 months, 2 hours ago)

Agar will always be intimidating to new growers because it is so scientific in nature but its just making a clean gel to put spores or clean mycelium on in order to transfer from. I started out buying prepoured plates on Amazon and later Etsy. Once I made it myself I knew I would never go back.

In reality I think agar is more reliable and forgiving than PF Tek in my opinion as you don't sacrifice grain in finding out of your MS solution may not germinate correctly.

With that being said people told me all the same stuff I am telling you so I understand if agar just seems too advanced.

Edited by CocaineBuffet (12/30/20 10:46 PM)

InvisibleHartford
Lawful Good
Male User Gallery

Loc: United States
Re: hello newbie question here about where to start with mycology [Re: CocaineBuffet]
    #27117118 - 12/30/20 11:15 PM (2 months, 2 hours ago)

Do PF Tek, save some of the syringe for later and order some pre-poured Malt extract agar plates (MEA), so that when you find a mushroom you want to clone, you can clone it and do to a bulk grow while you practice isolating rhizomorphic mycelium on agar in preparation for bulk.

--------------------
Keep boring people at a distance with a strategically placed mushroom fascination.

OfflineErnieErgot67
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

Loc: North eastern USA
Re: hello newbie question here about where to start with mycology [Re: stargazers]
    #27117132 - 12/30/20 11:23 PM (2 months, 2 hours ago)

Hey there noob. Welcome. I’m a new jack as well. I have spent hours and hours and hours reading on here and watching clips and looking at pictures, studying posts,and going online and going on YouTube. There’s a lot of nice people on here who have a lot of information and more than willing to help. My problem is I have no patience sometimes late at night and I get overwhelmed and frustrated. Especially because I’m 53 years old and I’m not very computer or form savvy and I find it difficult to navigate through this maze. However I am finding out that all the information is here AND THEN SOME. I mean unbelievably amounts… Endless amounts of information. GOOD LUCK AND HAVE PATIENCE! It’s my biggest flaw and it hurts me the most. It really is a 1 foot in front of the other process. I just have to take my own advice.Peace Brutha and God bless

--------------------
Can’t we all just get along???
Progress not perfection.
Don’t judge others because their flaws are different than yours

OfflineErnieErgot67
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

Re: hello newbie question here about where to start with mycology [Re: Hartford]
    #27117139 - 12/30/20 11:29 PM (2 months, 1 hour ago)

I like your advice. I am new as well. And I didn’t even know about the isolating of the rhizomorphic mycelium. Yeah I was thinking I just had to weed out the good stuff from the contaminant. Can you give me a link on that so I can learn what to look for. Please and thank you. Could you send it to me in a pm. Only because I have no idea how to navigate my way back to this post. Either that or you could put it in the thread that I am all over. I think I’m in the pub. Lol. I’m telling you I’m lost on this forum. It’s like a maze to me! :frown:

--------------------
Progress not perfection.

Invisiblebigfootscreepyuncl
Stranger

Loc: Gamehenge
Re: hello newbie question here about where to start with mycology [Re: ErnieErgot67]
    #27117152 - 12/30/20 11:42 PM (2 months, 1 hour ago)

Read through these links - they're written by a TC (trusted cultivator). Well written, step by step, tons of pictures and good explanations as to WHY we do things we do.

This forum is a bit of a maze compared to some other forums I've been on but it gets better. Learn to use the 'search' function as well as 'forum index' at the top of your screen.

I still stand by my recommendation to start with agar, and I think if you do enough reading you'll come to the same conclusion. But, as with all things do what suits you and your needs the best.

- this picture is of my current project. All of the cakes (small jars) up front were inoculated with a syringe directly (approximately 5cc, or 1/2 of a syringe, all together) and all the grain jars in the back were inoculated with a literal single drop from the same syringe because of agar.

Stick around a bit longer, read as much as you can and ask questions and it will all make more sense for you before you know it. Cheers, mate

--------------------
Bigfoots LAGM21

Offlinestargazers
Stranger
Re: hello newbie question here about where to start with mycology [Re: bigfootscreepyuncl]
    #27118186 - 12/31/20 01:55 PM (1 month, 30 days ago)

awesome, this is very helpful man. you guys are amazing

Offlinestargazers
Stranger
    #27118192 - 12/31/20 01:58 PM (1 month, 30 days ago)

thank you all so much, the community seems so kind and welcoming, im just excited to learn everything i can from you guys and see what i can do..... but all i'm trying to do is grow a small amount for me and my girlfriend. so i'm thinking about starting with the PF tek and taking things from there

Offlinestargazers
Stranger
Re: hello newbie question here about where to start with mycology [Re: Hartford]
    #27118196 - 12/31/20 02:00 PM (1 month, 30 days ago)

i think that's exactly what i'm going to do. thank you man!!

OfflineCocaineBuffet
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27119114 - 12/31/20 09:11 PM (1 month, 30 days ago)

Glad to see some OGs on here getting back into the mix. Aside from what Ernie said being true that all the information is on this site and then some I will say if you go to multiple sources you will likely become confused (misinformed really).

Stay away from Reddit. The false information on there is RAMPANT. Same with YouTube, any person with a camera can upload a video and make it seem like they know what they are talking about. Many Youtube users growing cubes are spreading misinformation. If you must watch YT videos for information stick to users who grow gourmet mushrooms as many of the same techniques are used in growing cubes.

InvisibleHartford
Lawful Good
Male User Gallery

Loc: United States
Re: hello newbie question here about where to start with mycology [Re: CocaineBuffet]
    #27119378 - 01/01/21 12:09 AM (1 month, 30 days ago)

The best way to grow mushrooms isn't always the cheapest, of course. So there are ghetto methods and there are laboratory procedures. It's up to you to determine how much time and money you want to invest.

--------------------
Keep boring people at a distance with a strategically placed mushroom fascination.

OfflineErnieErgot67
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

#27120424 - 01/01/21 03:25 PM (1 month, 29 days ago)

Thanx so much. I’m on board with what your saying but because my whole life I’d do things my way thinking I know best and it bit me in the ass. So I’m gonna do what has been suggested to me. I’m going to start ar the PF Tek and while those jars are colonizing and fruiting in the tub I will get started on studying, learning proper techniques to making my own agar, plates, live cultures and liquid cultures. This way I will be pacifying all my needs..., or should I say WANTS! I’ll have some mushrooms growing which of course is everybody’s goal and I will be learning the next step. Thanks for the post and the advice in the guidance I appreciate it more than I can say.  Good luck God bless and happy new year brother:grin::mushroom2:

--------------------
Progress not perfection.

OfflineKyngwhatt
presbyter
Other

Loc: The pharcyde Flag
    #27120437 - 01/01/21 03:34 PM (1 month, 29 days ago)

it depends on the person and their goals you can't go wrong with the pf tek, just remember to do the dunk and roll.
The pf tek is cool because if you follow directions and get contams you just remove that jar and you still get mushrooms:shocked:
love and respect

--------------------

Whatt

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Malt Extract

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started