Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Tolerance of Intolerance?
    #2711974 - 05/21/04 05:59 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

It's pretty apparent that there is a lot of intolerance in this world, on a lot of different levels. Usually the people who are behaving in an intolerant manner don't realize or don't believe they're being intolerant. Other times they so passionately believe that "God" is on their side that they have the right to kill or harm other people.

As someone who has been on the receiving end of intolerance many times, I can see my own intolerance grow from it. Usually I wouldn't even be aware of the judgements I'd make. Now that I see fundamentalist Christians in power of the US government, it's hard not to feel my own intolerance of what they're doing.

So the question I'm asking is, when and where does it start to be counter-productive to be angry at the way things are? Obviously it's better to take political and social action to change the way things are than it is to fester in anger and resentment. It's tough because I rationally know that not all Christians are so full of hate themselves, and are in fact often loving, caring human beings.

There is irony in hating intolerance, and contradiction in being intolerant of hatred.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesaltlick
that guy
Loc: San Francisco, CA
Re: Tolerance of Intolerance? [Re: Twirling]
    #2712131 - 05/21/04 06:40 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Anger left as anger is counter-productive.

Anger turned into action is productive (though not always positive).

--------------------
I don't know about you, but I'm going that way...

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Tolerance of Intolerance? [Re: saltlick]
    #2712358 - 05/21/04 07:38 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Very true! Emotions are sort of neutral, and although some emotions cause more negative actions than others, they're usually just a signal that something is bothering (or not bothering) a person. Either way, anger can be a very important emotion, as long as it's used the right way.

OfflineBleaK
paradox
    #2712932 - 05/21/04 10:52 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

anger is the sign that u need to do something, staying angry means u arent doing the right thing.

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #2718926 - 05/23/04 05:26 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

So we are back with the '...do what thou wilt.."-thread and the question where harm starts and when tolerance ends.The Question that follows is: What are the means to end this intolerance ? Same amount and quality of measures equal to the amount and quality of 'harm' taken ? Where does it start, where does it end ? That's like old testament vs new testament :smile:  ... the aggressive 'harmful' way can only be the utter last way to take against something 'evil'... (sorry for the missing CRs. My keyboard is stuck up somehow)

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology