Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblevandago
 User Gallery

Loc: .
Case shows how Mexican drug cartels turned a Midwest city into their 'honey hole'
    #27112606 - 12/28/20 03:46 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.courier-journal.com/amp/3871167001

Quote:

BETH WARREN | LOUISVILLE COURIER JOURNAL | 12:01 pm EST December 22, 2020

A convicted drug trafficker called "Rudy" promised a California federal judge in 2009 that his father's death and children's birth had inspired him to develop an honest business and forever remain in Mexico.

It was a lie.

As he sat in an American prison cell, Rudolfo Ibarra Hernandez plotted his next scheme, a bigger and more corrosive U.S. drug pipeline targeting communities across the Midwest, according to new federal charges against him.

Amid the deadliest drug epidemic in U.S. history, the narcotics Ibarra peddled — through drug pipelines in mid-size cities like Evansville, Indiana — increased suffering throughout the Midwest.

Michael Gannon, assistant special agent in charge of DEA operations in the Hoosier state, said the cartel capitalized on Southern Indiana's long history of meth abuse that once made the region one of America's capitals for clandestine meth labs.

CJNG and other drug cartels eventually perfected the meth-making process and now supply most of what is consumed in the U.S.

The drugs and violence of El Mencho and CJNG extend far beyond the U.S.-Mexico border. Their presence has been discovered in at least 35 states and Puerto Rico.
The drugs and violence of El Mencho and CJNG extend far beyond the U.S.-Mexico border. Their presence has been discovered in at least 35 states and Puerto Rico.
KYLE SLAGLE/USA TODAY NETWORK
The flow of drugs didn't stop with the COVID-19 pandemic, but prices have doubled or tripled, agents said. Ibarra and Guzman, for example, began charging drug distributors about $6,000, instead of $2,500, for a pound of meth, Gorman said.

During a two-year investigation spanning several states, federal agents and the Evansville-Vanderburgh County Joint Task Force recovered more than 123 pounds of methamphetamine, 500 oxycodone pills, 345 grams of heroin and 769 grams of fentanyl powder, according to a September news release by federal prosecutors.

Get the season's readings.
Don’t miss your chance for unlimited digital access to exclusive content.
$3 for 3 months. Save 90%.
Subscribe Now
Investigators also intercepted one of the drugs that scares police the most — 114 fentanyl pills, dyed and stamped to mimic much less lethal prescription painkillers, sometimes killing users unaware of the danger.

More: A ruthless Mexican drug lord’s empire is devastating families with its grip on small-town USA

'A normal, peaceful and quiet life"
Ibarra had been a small-time dealer in the San Diego area, but agents say he graduated to running a network from 2017-20 that carted millions of dollars in cartel drugs and profits across the Mexican border.

That's in sharp contrast to what he promised a U.S. judge years earlier.

Deported twice for drug crimes, Ibarra had written an emotional letter in 2009 that persuaded a federal judge to lessen his prison sentence for sneaking back in the U.S. illegally to fewer than four years, according to court records.

"In return," Ibarra, then age 37, vowed to the judge, "I will prove for this to be my last time to have broken any law in the U.S., and this to be the last time I step into the U.S.

"All I want now is to live a normal, peaceful and quiet life."

Prosecutors had lobbied for more time, noting in court documents that Ibarra had four convictions for dealing drugs and one for running a "chop shop" that bought and sold cars with altered serial numbers.

In court motions, Ibarra's attorneys wrote that he was born in Tijuana but grew up in San Diego, where several of his relatives lived. He tried to grow an illegal drug business but kept getting caught, court records show, spending about eight years in state and federal prisons.

More than $2 million dollars worth of drugs seized in Indiana case
More than $2 million dollars worth of drugs seized in Indiana case
COURTESY OF DEA
After he was deported for a second time in 2000, he claimed in defense motions that he started a legal automobile paint shop business in Tijuana.

He said it began to flourish so he bought his first home, got married and had a second child and only returned to the U.S. to hurry to his father's deathbed.

"As his oldest son, and the one who got along best with him, I had felt I needed to be there to talk to him and let him go in peace," Ibarra wrote in his letter to the judge. "Two hours after I crossed that border and got to the hospital to be with him, he passed away."

Ibarra's family had grown weary of the stress from his life of crime, he said.

"They had watched me look over my shoulders and carry the weight of running from the law for nearly four years."

He insisted he had matured and was determined to become a better man.

Not so, according to agents with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, who contend Ibarra was determined to become a bigger drug trafficker.

They say Ibarra broke his promise to the judge even while in prison, scheming with other inmates to develop a new network of drug traffickers with connections in several cities across the Midwest.

One of those cities was Evansville, Indiana.

The CJNG cartel somehow hid meth inside a fire extinguisher without breaking the seal. It was only intercepted in Colorado Springs on its way to Southern Indiana because of a tip to the DEA task force in Evansville, Indiana.
The CJNG cartel somehow hid meth inside a fire extinguisher without breaking the seal. It was only intercepted in Colorado Springs on its way to Southern Indiana because of a tip to the DEA task force in Evansville, Indiana.
COURTESY OF THE DEA
Turning the Midwest into a 'honey hole'
Lauren Wheatley, a federal prosecutor assigned to Ibarra's case, said one reason Evansville is so attractive to cartels is its key location.

It's located off Interstate 64 and centered less than 6 hours by vehicle from Chicago, St. Louis, Nashville, Louisville and Cincinnati.

"The Midwest is actually a honey hole for these cartels because of the addiction problems," said Wheatley, who has prosecuted several large-scale drug traffickers.

When Ibarra was released from prison and deported a third time, agents say he used Tijuana as a home base to organize an elaborate drug network with his partner, Juan Guzman, known as "Hollywood," Gannon said.

The duo had worked for other cartels in the past, Gannon said, and in recent years funneled drugs into America for the Cártel Jalisco Nueva Generación, or CJNG, a global drug powerhouse and top cartel target for the U.S.

The Courier Journal published a special report on Thanksgiving 2019 on CJNG's startling growth and extensive reach into small-town America, led by the disciplined but merciless crime boss known as El Mencho.

El Mencho runs one of the most powerful cartels in the world.
El Mencho runs one of the most powerful cartels in the world.
PROVIDED BY THE DEA
The DEA's 2019 National Drug Threat Assessment listed CJNG, along with its rival the Sinaloa Cartel, as the top two culprits saturating the U.S. with illicit fentanyl, now America's No. 1 killer.

By April, 2018, DEA task force officers in Evansville heard about CJNG's meth and fentanyl pipeline that Ibarra and Guzman were allegedly running and launched an investigation.

Nine suspects from Ohio, Tennessee, Arizona, Washington and California currently sit in U.S. jails awaiting trial in federal court on charges of trafficking at least 500 grams of meth and fentanyl. All maintain their innocence but could face a penalty of up to life in prison if convicted.

However, alleged ring leaders Ibarra, now 48, and Guzman, 33, are fugitives, believed to be hiding in Mexico.

Also: Louisville knows how to combat systemic racism, but does it have the will to fight?

How the drug pipeline worked
A federal grand jury indicted Ibarra and Guzman on charges of running the drug conspiracy in 2019 and 2020, ordering drug mules to sneak 500 or more grams of methamphetamine and fentanyl across the border and into California.

From California, drugs were shipped through UPS, Fed-Ex and the U.S. Postal Service or carted across the country on passengers' bodies or in their duffel bags aboard Greyhound buses.

At least two female suspects tucked baggies of fentanyl into their vaginas, prosecutors said —  a potentially deadly risk an amount about the size of Abraham Lincoln's cheek on a penny can be fatal.

Investigators say drug proceeds were sent back to Mexico, hidden on passengers on commercial flights or in their luggage, and carted through major airports. Ibarra himself was one of the money couriers hopping back and forth between countries, according to charges against them.

Investigators say Ibarra and Guzman sent cartel associates to set up cells, living in towns near the Iowa-Nebraska border and in Ohio to supply Dayton, Cleveland and Akron.

And they used their former prison buddies to deliver drugs to several other locations, including: Dallas; Indianapolis; Evansville; Thomasville, North Carolina; and several cities in Missouri.

In February, the DEA task force in Evansville learned about a meth shipment CJNG sent to California on its way to their city and smaller Southern Indiana towns. A task force officer teamed with Colorado Highway Patrol troopers, who stopped the car carting the drugs and used a drug-detecting dog.

Investigators likely would have missed 5.5 pounds sealed inside a fire extinguisher if Ibarra hadn't bragged during a phone call to an undercover agent about his clever hiding spot.

Even Colorado Springs firefighters closely inspecting them couldn't tell the devices had been tampered with and had to use special tools to cut them open.

Prosecutors and agents have learned of other drug networks across the U.S. also using fire extinguishers. Wheatley said she fears cartels have someone working on the inside, who packs the drugs inside the canister while at a factory that manufactures the safety equipment.

Read this: Will Mexico play ball with Biden's promise to target corruption amid cartel drug war?

On the run in Mexico
This May 10, on Mother's Day, two drug couriers from Los Angeles delivered about 22 pounds of meth — with a current street value of nearly a million dollars — to an undercover DEA task force officer in a shopping center parking lot in Evansville, Gannon said.

The suspects had tucked the drugs behind the back wheel wells of a rented black sedan.

Four months later, agents say Ibarra directed his friend and employee, Michael David Platt, to take 50 pounds of meth with a current street value of more than $2 million from the Los Angeles area to Evansville. Platt never made it.

Investigators stopped him Sept. 1 in Anaheim, California, according to allegations contained in court documents. Platt was arrested and booked into an Orange County jail that day, but was soon released on bond as part of efforts to minimize the jail population amid COVID-19 outbreaks.

By the time the DEA asked the U.S. Marshals Service to re-arrest Platt based on meth trafficking charges in a Sept. 23 indictment, Platt had vanished. He lived in the San Diego area, Gannon said, but now could be in hiding in Mexico.

CJNG leader "El Mencho," whose real name is Rubén "Nemesio" Oseguera Cervantes, also remains on the run despite his ranking on the DEA's Most Wanted list and a $10 million reward for information leading to his capture.

If agents eventually nab Platt, Guzman or Ibarra, they hope they will cooperate to lead investigators further up the supply chain to Mexican cartel bosses.

Reporter Beth Warren: bwarren@courier-journal.com; 502-582-7164; Twitter @BethWarrenCJ.

Subscribe Now – Get Your Offer

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
Re: Case shows how Mexican drug cartels turned a Midwest city into their 'honey hole' [Re: vandago]
    #27112760 - 12/28/20 04:59 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

OfflineNarrator
Strangest in the night
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Case shows how Mexican drug cartels turned a Midwest city into their 'honey hole' [Re: durian_2008]
    #27113060 - 12/28/20 08:35 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

$2500 for a pound of meth.

OfflineCamwritesgonzo
The Unflushable Stool
Male User Gallery

Loc: On Uranus Flag
Re: Case shows how Mexican drug cartels turned a Midwest city into their 'honey hole' [Re: Narrator]
    #27114005 - 12/29/20 11:13 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

I was in county with a cat who was on a federal meth charge who claimed that El Chapo's son was on his paperwork.

--------------------
"I've always maintained that reality is for those who can't face drugs."-Tom Waits
"I feel the same way about disco as I feel about herpes."-Hunter S. Thompson
A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?

Invisiblevandago
 User Gallery

Loc: .
Re: Case shows how Mexican drug cartels turned a Midwest city into their 'honey hole' [Re: Camwritesgonzo]
    #27114180 - 12/29/20 12:39 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Who's el chapos son?

OfflineCamwritesgonzo
The Unflushable Stool
Male User Gallery

Loc: On Uranus Flag
Re: Case shows how Mexican drug cartels turned a Midwest city into their 'honey hole' [Re: vandago]
    #27114427 - 12/29/20 03:02 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

vandago said:
Who's el chapos son?

Hell if I know. He just said El Chapo's son dimed on him.

--------------------
"I've always maintained that reality is for those who can't face drugs."-Tom Waits
"I feel the same way about disco as I feel about herpes."-Hunter S. Thompson
A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Case shows how Mexican drug cartels turned a Midwest city into their 'honey hole' [Re: Camwritesgonzo]
    #27118512 - 12/31/20 02:27 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

“The flow of drugs didn't stop“

And you would think with all this Covid!

All attempts at harder crackdown just hurts the customer, your “average citizen” really, in the case of covid with demand/supply issues, broken supply chains, if you make it even harder it just drives prices up and probably quality down

A lot of people, logically, switched to just ordering shit when their local person stopped answering
(Referring more to real drugs, weed seems pretty abundant and dealers who use covid as an excuse for higher prices are mostly full of shit, Altho again some chains have been disrupted, but the price of lb actually rose and dropped last I checked). Plus, if you stop getting as many imports, and have a lot of empty buildings, you grow elsewhere

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Case shows how Mexican drug cartels turned a Midwest city into their 'honey hole' [Re: Narrator]
    #27118532 - 12/31/20 02:32 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Narrator said:
$2500 for a pound of meth.

Wow, if that was (M)adderall, that would be soooo many doses, plus meth is more potent.

I honestly don’t get how someone smokes like 100mg (or even 1g or whatever) of amphetamines in one go. I guess tolerance

A 20 orally is more than enough for me

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Case shows how Mexican drug cartels turned a Midwest city into their 'honey hole' [Re: Fractal420]
    #27118784 - 12/31/20 04:33 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

amp and meth are very different drugs. It's not just more potent, its a totally different high. Amp gets you feeling nasty if you dose too much or binge too long, meth is MUCH more euphoric than just speedy and you can keep the fun going for a long time before you feel nasty and sketchy like amp. And meth has a euphoric rush that comes with smoking/injecting, larger doses are about getting a bigger rush not just the feeling afterwards, amp has no rush at all and there's no real point in dosing more than just enough to get you speedy, but with meth the euphoria just keeps on increasing with the dose. Of course you'll crash harder with doses like that, but thats a problem for future you.

Quote:

All attempts at harder crackdown just hurts the customer, your “average citizen” really, in the case of covid with demand/supply issues, broken supply chains, if you make it even harder it just drives prices up and probably quality down

They are very aware of this, raising prices is their stated strategy, they aren't trying to stop the flow they are just trying to get the prices high enough that sustaining a habit becomes untenable.

I mean, thats the real struggle of maintaining a drug habit. The cost of it becomes a full time job, they want the social problems that arise from people not being able to afford their habit, it leads to crime which warrants their entire existence, and it makes it easier for them to identify users and circles of drug use and ensures distribution is maintained by more hardened criminal elements...if drugs were cheap there'd be far fewer social problems from their use and the giant budgets and military tactics would be unjustifiable.

Edited by Holybullshit (12/31/20 04:47 PM)

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Case shows how Mexican drug cartels turned a Midwest city into their 'honey hole' [Re: Holybullshit]
    #27119791 - 01/01/21 07:18 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

I should say Dextroamphetamine, not just racemic amp, because L-amp does feel nasty and releases norepinephrine. But I have also had a meth bomb once, and orally it felt a lot like dexamp just def stronger and with a killlller hangover.
(I have years of experience being actually prescribed Dexedrine or Adderall, I’ve switched a few times, dex brand is harder to find and barely noticeable difference, cause ad is Approx 75% dexamph)

In the end, i found it MUCH nastier on the comedown, like had to sit in the shower (I didn’t know to take benzos at that point). Which is partially why I can’t imagine people handling those crashes. I dunno if it’s just me that ALL amphetamines seem to give me a crash (including dextroamphetamine, tho it’s def milder than mdma or meth)

And I mean shit, if the intention is to drive up prices, here come the shake n bake home labs.

For sure compared to 20 yrs ago pharms at least are 10x harder to get, and they used to be CHEAP (now “exotic” if real LOL facepalm)

Even the aforementioned adderall now, if you get it on the street, it just might be meth anyway! All pharms are suspect

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

Edited by Fractal420 (01/01/21 07:24 AM)

InvisibleEminence
Male

Loc: Richmond, VA Flag
Re: Case shows how Mexican drug cartels turned a Midwest city into their 'honey hole' [Re: Fractal420]
    #27120904 - 01/01/21 06:25 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

We should be more focused on getting the cartels the fuck out of America, rather than getting better drug prices for customers :lol:. I suppose legalizing certain things would help, but I really don't know how legalizing things like meth and heroin would turn out.

--------------------

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Case shows how Mexican drug cartels turned a Midwest city into their 'honey hole' [Re: Eminence]
    #27121854 - 01/02/21 11:04 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

It should first be both, then once legalized you slowly wean onto the legal market. Black markets will remain till legal markets can do the same shit. Which would mean all drugs (at least personal amounts), high purity, on demand, for reasonable prices. NOT like those ketamine clinics that give you less than 100mg for like $500

That has not replaced illicit K for ANYONE (tho I know a few people who wanna avoid the black market and get infusions That they say helps depression a hella lot)

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Case shows how Mexican drug cartels turned a Midwest city into their 'honey hole' [Re: Eminence]
    #27122610 - 01/02/21 06:26 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Eminence said:
We should be more focused on getting the cartels the fuck out of America, rather than getting better drug prices for customers :lol:. I suppose legalizing certain things would help, but I really don't know how legalizing things like meth and heroin would turn out.

Well you are never in a million years going to get cartels out of america through LE efforts, but you could eliminate a lot of the social problems that come with illicit drug use by ending LE policy focused on raising drug prices.

And as I alluded to, its those same LE efforts which push the drug trade into the hands of organized crime.

OfflineTiberjuggaligger
Galaxy Creeper

Loc: USA
    #27125891 - 01/04/21 11:15 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Eminence said:
I suppose legalizing certain things would help, but I really don't know how legalizing things like meth and heroin would turn out.

It would allow natural selection to do its job. I bet, it would only take 6 months to a year and all the idiots would kill themselves off, od's, car wrecks etc. Then we would be left with more responsible users.

--------------------

Kirk: What does God need with a starship?
McCoy: Jim, what are you doing?
Kirk: I'm asking a question.
"God": Who is this creature?
Kirk: Who am I? Don't you know? Aren't you God?
Sybok: He has his doubts.
"God": You doubt me?
Kirk: I seek proof.
McCoy: Jim! You don't ask the Almighty for his ID

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies